ImageImageImage

Duren watch. Just in case you missed it.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Re: Duren watch. Just in case you missed it. 

Post#41 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:01 pm

ValvPiti wrote:Same rebounding, better offence and worse defense than Dwight? I wonder why he doesn't block more shots and in general is better at protecting the rim though. Im a big believer in Duren though, and I love that he can actually handle and pass a bit already. He should be able to tap into that more. Also, he can get a midrange game and improve as a FT shooter, and now youre looking at an extremely solid all-star player.

Anyways, if you're not taking Duren top-4 right now in a re-draft, I think you're trolling. And when Monty freaking Williams finally decided to let Ivey play basketball, its not looking too shabby either for him. Might be the 5th pick.

This draft ended up being really good.

1. Banchero
2. Chet (could make strong argument for #1 just because of how efficient and unique he is)
3. Jalen Williams (OKC got a stud here)
4 - 5. Keegan Murray, Jabari Smith Jr
6 - 10. Jalen Duren, Jaden Ivey, Walker Kessler Jr, Benedict Mathurin, Shaedon Sharpe(still super high upside I think)

Jabari Smith Jr just has the perimeter skills and shooting to be your prototypical great 3&D starting PF. I personally am still higher on Duren's upside but I think the majority of people would take him over Duren at this point.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#42 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:02 pm

That was a solid draft
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,459

Post#43 » by Billl » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:38 pm

I don't remember which guy it was, but around the draft someone compared him to a young shawn kemp. Not really a traditional center, but a fantastic athlete that grows into a very skilled offensive game. We saw Duren could jump out of the gym and rim run right away, but he's making a ton of progress with the rest of his offense already. His balance and footwork are coming along and his passing and ball handling are developing. If he keeps on this track, the 2 man game between him and cade or cade and ivey is going to be a load for years to come.
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#44 » by kierkegaard » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:24 pm

tmorgan wrote:Duren definitely has touch. Would like to see him shooting from outside the post from a couple sets. He can do it. And he can pass, too. My only real long term question is how good he can get defensively.

Yes, and you can see his touch / soft hands on some of the passes he handles in traffic. Many of those are not easy to control, particularly when you consider all the other arms flailing about, the bodies sometimes draped all over him and the point blank release of the pass.

And he'll start shooting more from mid-range, perhaps as early as next year.

Keeping his ankles healthy is crucial.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#45 » by ComboGuardCity » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm

He really does look like Bam out there. His ball skills are evolving at a rapid pace too which makes me think he actually has a higher potential. I honestly think he’s going to be An all star tier 2 big man:

Tier 1: Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, healthy AD
Tier 2: Sabonis, JJJ, Bam
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#46 » by Mr Peanut » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:16 am

For all the flak that Weaver (deservedly) gets, he did nail this draft (the only guy you could strongly argue that we should've taken instead at 5 was Jalen Williams, but he wasn't really mocked that high and was a lesser known prospect).

Return to Detroit Pistons