ImageImageImage

Troy Weaver Press Conference Link

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Re: Troy Weaver Press Conference Link 

Post#21 » by vege » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:02 pm

BDM22 wrote:Poorly balanced roster with no wings, vets that play zero defense to go with young guys that don't know how, and a horrendous coach that doesn't want to be here. Injuries are like 10th on the list of reasons this team is terrible.

You confuses me a lot nowadays. You know exactly what our problems are, yet, you have chosen to argue about every single thing I post in here, and I am always pointing out the issues you just listed. That's weird.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Post#22 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:18 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Poorly balanced roster with no wings, vets that play zero defense to go with young guys that don't know how, and a horrendous coach that doesn't want to be here. Injuries are like 10th on the list of reasons this team is terrible.

You confuses me a lot nowadays. You know exactly what our problems are, yet, you have chosen to argue about every single thing I post in here, and I am always pointing out the issues you just listed. That's weird.

Most of the broader problems are obvious to most people (maybe outside of the FO). It's more specific player evaluations we disagree on.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#23 » by DBC10 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:26 pm

vege wrote:

Losing Burks and Bojan are not a big deal for the balancing of the roster we got. Let it go
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#24 » by DetroitSho » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:35 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:But he did trash Killian. He blamed him for not becoming a better shooter rather than acknowledging he was wrong about Killian’s offensive ceiling.

And he didn’t really own up to the mistake of trading for Bagley when nobody else wanted him, just the mistake of giving him a big contract before he’d proven himself. Which granted was the bigger of the two mistakes, but that’s a pretty considerable asterisk.

I'm still totally fine with trading for Bagley. Cade needed the lob threat desperately, and the cost was low. Cade's game got a lot better with Bagley when Cade was a rookie. It cost the 55th pick last year and what looks to be about the 50th pick this year. Also gave Lyles, but there are 5 Lyles caliber players available in free agency every year for pennies (and he shot terribly with us). No one was devastated about losing Mr. pump-fake at the time lol.

The mistakes there were giving Bagley the bag after you landed Duren in the draft and not replacing the stretch 4. Then he added to the mistakes by trading for Wiseman. Weaver clearly gets too attached to "his" guys.

It's strange that he admitted you need at least one PF/C that can shoot on the floor at all times yet he assembled a front court with Duren, Bagley, and Wiseman. Where do the minutes come from?!

Weaver Probably married the first girl he dated
Lol I legit laughed

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#25 » by TGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:14 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Bagley didn't seem to go to the hoop for alley-oops after he got a contract extension.

What the hell did you guys do to him up there? He dunks everything with the Wizards.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#26 » by tmorgan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:21 pm

TGW wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:Bagley didn't seem to go to the hoop for alley-oops after he got a contract extension.

What the hell did you guys do to him up there? He dunks everything with the Wizards.

And yet his shooting percentage is lower than it was in Detroit.

Let me guess, you’re letting him shoot jumpers…

It’s ok. I won’t make fun of you when you come back at the end of the season and tell us he sucks because he can’t pass, his defensive reads are trash, his shot selection sucks, he got hurt, etc etc etc.

You just have to experience it first hand over an extended period to know.

(I still think it was OK to cash out Gafford for a first since you have to pay Bags next year)
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#27 » by TGW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:53 pm

tmorgan wrote:
TGW wrote:

And yet his shooting percentage is lower than it was in Detroit.

Let me guess, you’re letting him shoot jumpers…

It’s ok. I won’t make fun of you when you come back at the end of the season and tell us he sucks because he can’t pass, his defensive reads are trash, his shot selection sucks, he got hurt, etc etc etc.

You just have to experience it first hand over an extended period to know.

(I still think it was OK to cash out Gafford for a first since you have to pay Bags next year)

Maybe you're right over an extended period of time, but as of now, Bags is good. He's been damn solid since the trade.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#28 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:32 pm

Eh, half the top 10 picks never pan out.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#29 » by DetroitSho » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:53 pm

Imagine picking the "Marvin Bagley is good" hill as the one to die on.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#30 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:47 pm

DetroitSho wrote:Imagine picking the "Marvin Bagley is good" hill as the one to die on.

I fought for years on the "we overpaid Bagley" and "We shouldn't have picked up Killian's 4th year option" we should have used that $20 million for a decent NBA player. Not even I could have imagined they would be here playing minutes on a 28 game losing streak as we're dead last in the league in year four of the rebuild. Way worse than I ever expected. Pretty happy they are both gone. Eventually Wizards fans will be happy Bagley is gone too unless he has some real growth this offseason.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#31 » by Invictus88 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:00 pm

bstein14 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Imagine picking the "Marvin Bagley is good" hill as the one to die on.

I fought for years on the "we overpaid Bagley" and "We shouldn't have picked up Killian's 4th year option" we should have used that $20 million for a decent NBA player. Not even I could have imagined they would be here playing minutes on a 28 game losing streak as we're dead last in the league in year four of the rebuild. Way worse than I ever expected. Pretty happy they are both gone. Eventually Wizards fans will be happy Bagley is gone too unless he has some real growth this offseason.

My only problem with this was on one hand you pointed out that we were overpaying Bagley and Killian and in the next sentence you were saying that we should be offering Ayton 33 million a season to play here. It was totally illogical if you were concerned about overpaying players.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

My only problem with this was on one hand you pointed out that we were overpaying Bagley and Killian and in the next sentence you were saying that we should be offering Ayton 33 million a season to play here. It was totally illogical if you were concerned about overpaying players.

But he could only get that deal if he signs with Phoenix. Any other team can only offer him a 4 year deal, with the same starting salary but slightly smaller raises per year. A Max from Detroit or any team besides Phoenix would be about 4 years $130 million using about $29 million of cap space next summer.

#1, He isn't worth trading assets for and then paying that huge contract to.

#2, If you can get him for nothing, besides cap space, he is likely worth adding to the team.

#3, He's a top 60 NBA player for sure, and is young and likely just about to be entering his prime. In theory you should get four of his best years in a four year deal. He's a near 20 and 10 guy for us most likely with solid defense. He's not a top 5 center in the league, but he's certainly an above average center right around top 8 or 9 in the league currently and getting better.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#33 » by bstein14 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:29 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

But he could only get that deal if he signs with Phoenix. Any other team can only offer him a 4 year deal, with the same starting salary but slightly smaller raises per year. A Max from Detroit or any team besides Phoenix would be about 4 years $130 million using about $29 million of cap space next summer.

#2, If you can get him for nothing, besides cap space, he is likely worth adding to the team.

#3, He's a top 60 NBA player for sure, and is young and likely just about to be entering his prime. In theory you should get four of his best years in a four year deal. He's a near 20 and 10 guy for us most likely with solid defense. He's not a top 5 center in the league, but he's certainly an above average center right around top 8 or 9 in the league currently and getting better.

Ayton is clearly worse now than he was in his year 3 or year 4 with Phoenix there was no additional growth he's someone who worked just hard enough to get paid and is likely coasting the rest of the way perhaps until he's in a contract year again. 100% would have been a mistake to give him that deal. Indy gave it to him, and they've made some great moves lately.... Phoenix matched it and then the Blazers took on that contract.

Ayton has gone from being an above average starting center to one of the bottom 5 or 6 starting centers in the league.

In 2021 ESPN ranked him the 36th best player in the league.
In 2021 ESPN ranked him the 51st best player in the league.
Hes obviously no where near top 100 in the league now probably not top 150.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#34 » by Invictus88 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:42 pm

Ayton never really showed signs of improvement. The numbers were relatively flat throughout his career. This year he just had worse PG play than he has had in Phoenix.

Complaining about overpaying Bagley by 4 million versus what everybody thought he was worth is peanuts compared to how much 33 million would have been overpaying Ayton.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#35 » by DetroitSho » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:38 am

bstein14 wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

I'm willing to admit I was on the Ayton train too, BUUUUUUUUUT that was up until draft night and we got Duren. That ended immediately for me. I still stand behind my interest (at the time) because to me, the debate was max Ayton or max Bridges. I had concerns about Bridges at the time and damn if that didn't play out just hours before free agency.

The way I look at it, last year salary wise Ayton would've cost us Killian, Nerlens Noel and Bagley. This year he would've cost us Joe Harris and Wiseman. You can feel Ayton is tremendously meh, but he'd STILL be a better option than the crap we would've had to forgo.

Return to Detroit Pistons