ImageImageImage

How much weaver offer Tobias Harris?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Re: How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#101 » by Cowology » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:43 am

I'm not sure the pick by itself does enough either way, but I'm down to package it with 1-2 other assets.

That doesn't mean I wanna give anybody away, but you gotta give to get and nobody on this roster should be untouchable. At some point we need to consolidate and/or rebalance. Everybody seems to understand this right up until a trade is proposed and then it flips to "zomg, it's too soon to give up on them!1!!1!!!"

We get it in theory, but are still emotionally attached and just don't wanna let go. Hali/Sabonis is a great example of two teams re-balancing and we've seen any number of examples cash in some of those chips to push into another competetive tier.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,040

Post#102 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 am

Cowology wrote:I'm not sure the pick by itself does enough either way, but I'm down to package it with 1-2 other assets.

That doesn't mean I wanna give anybody away, but you gotta give to get and nobody on this roster should be untouchable. At some point we need to consolidate and/or rebalance. Everybody seems to understand this right up until a trade is proposed and then it flips to "zomg, it's too soon to give up on them!1!!1!!!"

We get it in theory, but are still emotionally attached and just don't wanna let go. Hali/Sabonis is a great example of two teams re-balancing and we've seen any number of examples cash in some of those chips to push into another competetive tier.

Who would you realistically like us to target?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#103 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:50 am

Snakebites wrote:
Cowology wrote:I'm not sure the pick by itself does enough either way, but I'm down to package it with 1-2 other assets.

Best target IF hes even on the market is Mikal Bridges. Obv that would cost us quite a bit more then a top 5 pick. Again nothing about the Nets wanting to trade him has even been reported anywhere.

The biggest name most likely on the market is Trae Young. Sounds like since nobody would meet their asking price for Murray their looking at moving Young and building around Murray instead. Not saying I want Young just putting it out their for discussions sake for the record!

"The decision to keep Murray, however, certainly has more than a few front offices out there believing that the Hawks could reach the point—provided this season doesn't end well—that they entertain the most dramatic possible reset,"

"Perhaps the more significant reason why Trae Trade Talk has a more tangible feel than ever before: There appears to be a true market forming for Young for really the first time in his six seasons as a Hawk."

"I can tell you this much: They've certainly convinced various rival teams that a Dejounte In/Trae Out course is going to be legitimately considered."

https://www.si.com/nba/hawks/news/nba-insider-suggests-atlanta-could-trade-trae-young-and-keep-dejounte-murray
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:08 am

Heres one I havent seen any Pistons fans throw out there. What if we target Bronny James in the 2nd round and use our cap space to grab Lebron? Word is they very well could be a package deal.

LBJ is obv on his last legs but hes still a good player. I'd much much rather get LBJ then T.Harris. I think LBJ still has enough in the tank for us to get into the playoffs and win a couple games. It sure as hell would be a entertaining couple of seasons.

Obv if we get LBJ hes going to force us to trade some of the young talent for more win now players. That said I wouldnt hate it if we moved say one of the core 4+our lotto pick for a win now piece to go with LBJ. I dont see us winning a title or anything but I could see it winning us a series possibly. Obv this is a short term gain type plan but who knows maybe it changes the entire culture here when LBJ retires.

Key point here is were not trading assets for LBJ whatsoever. Were just using the cap space that we have, which is cap space the consensus seems to agree here will be used on a overpay anyways. At least old LBJ is exciting pickup compared to old T.Harris thats such a snoring pickup.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Post#105 » by Cowology » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:50 am

Snakebites wrote:

We get it in theory, but are still emotionally attached and just don't wanna let go. Hali/Sabonis is a great example of two teams re-balancing and we've seen any number of examples cash in some of those chips to push into another competitive tier.

I don't know, kinda depends on who is in play at the time. Maybe not them specifically, but Markkanen (26), Mikal (27), Murray (27) & Trae (25) seem like the type of player we should be targeting, just in terms of the caliber of talent & age.

Also depends on asking price. I wouldn't force it if it isn't there, so I'd probably prefer to avoid negotiating with Ainge. He's a value whore and Weaver would give his left testicle away if it satisfied his need for instant gratification.

I honestly have NO clue what type of value a package of Cade/Ausar/#5 would yield. I dunno if Ivey/Duren/#5 is more or less. I don't know how that compares to 5 future First round picks. It's so abstract and it can be years before the picks even convey, let alone develop. But the young guys are gonna need to all be paid as well, I think it's probably better for us in the long-run if we're only looking to pay 3 guys and not 4 or 5. It's just not a sustainable model. We gotta consolidate some talent and move the team forward.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,040

Post#106 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:38 am

Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

We get it in theory, but are still emotionally attached and just don't wanna let go. Hali/Sabonis is a great example of two teams re-balancing and we've seen any number of examples cash in some of those chips to push into another competitive tier.

I don't know, kinda depends on who is in play at the time. Maybe not them specifically, but Markkanen (26), Mikal (27), Murray (27) & Trae (25) seem like the type of player we should be targeting, just in terms of the caliber of talent & age.

Also depends on asking price. I wouldn't force it if it isn't there, so I'd probably prefer to avoid negotiating with Ainge. He's a value whore and Weaver would give his left testicle away if it satisfied his need for instant gratification.

I honestly have NO clue what type of value a package of Cade/Ausar/#5 would yield. I dunno if Ivey/Duren/#5 is more or less. I don't know how that compares to 5 future First round picks. It's so abstract and it can be years before the picks even convey, let alone develop. But the young guys are gonna need to all be paid as well, I think it's probably better for us in the long-run if we're only looking to pay 3 guys and not 4 or 5. It's just not a sustainable model. We gotta consolidate some talent and move the team forward.

I was interested in targeting Murray at the deadline. The rest I think are unrealistic options.

Ainge would take Troy to the cleaners in a Lauri trade. We’ve never been linked to Lauri, and I actually think they don’t trade him.

I don’t think the Hawks are ready to trade Trae. Despite what happened at the deadline I think they’re still more likely to deal Murray.

The Nets…there’s a reason they are hesitant to cash in on their guys- it’s the same reason they kept Brook for years- it’s hard to justify “tank moves” when you don’t control your own draft capital. I don’t see Mikal moving.

The trade market better have some hidden gems I’m not seeing. The FA market isn’t it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,858

Post#107 » by theBigLip » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:07 am

I think we’re going to get surprised. It’s not like a few years ago there was this nice list of free agents. Now most all the good players are already signed, so we’ll be seeing what teams need to dump some salary. So it could be anyone…

But what are we targeting? Hopefully it’s a SF and a PF that can shoot. OG (not likely) and Miles Bridges are likely on the radar as true free agents. After that, it’s going to be lesser tier free agents or the surprise trade.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#108 » by tmorgan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:51 am

theBigLip wrote:I think we’re going to get surprised. It’s not like a few years ago there was this nice list of free agents. Now most all the good players are already signed, so we’ll be seeing what teams need to dump some salary. So it could be anyone…

But what are we targeting? Hopefully it’s a SF and a PF that can shoot. OG (not likely) and Miles Bridges are likely on the radar as true free agents. After that, it’s going to be lesser tier free agents or the surprise trade.

The ability to take on a lot of money in a trade is certainly something that might be utilized. Literally all of our assets are on rookie contracts and making less money than they eventually will. But with 60+ mil of cap space, that doesn’t matter. We can afford second contract guys while dealing first contract guys. Problem is, we’re relying on our current front office to make the proper evaluations — as I’ve said, I’m higher on Weaver than most, but that still scares me.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,955

Post#109 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:33 pm

Ok, I admit it. I want Tobi if we can get Bobi too.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#110 » by Canadafan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:50 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:Ok, I admit it. I want Tobi if we can get Bobi too.

Lol yes. They need to be a package deal :lol:
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:08 pm

tmorgan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I think we’re going to get surprised. It’s not like a few years ago there was this nice list of free agents. Now most all the good players are already signed, so we’ll be seeing what teams need to dump some salary. So it could be anyone…

The ability to take on a lot of money in a trade is certainly something that might be utilized. Literally all of our assets are on rookie contracts and making less money than they eventually will. But with 60+ mil of cap space, that doesn’t matter. We can afford second contract guys while dealing first contract guys. Problem is, we’re relying on our current front office to make the proper evaluations — as I’ve said, I’m higher on Weaver than most, but that still scares me.

If the ROS is completely terrible where we show no or negative progress from the 1st half I could see Weaver being gone at the EOY
Let Weaver go then he was essentially a stop gap GM. He came here for multiple seasons with the goal to lose on purpose and try to get high draft picks and hit on some franchise guys. Results could of worked out better he took some BAP type high picks with mixed results but no Wembys,Millers,Chets, or Paolos. He leaves us with some young talent but more importantly a completely clean books. Maybe we wouldnt call it a huge success but it at least puts us in a position to get a good GM who knows how to finish off the job.

Our job is going to be so much much enticing for any good GM candidates on the market with a clean cap. If we allow Weaver on the hot seat to make some big decisions and they dont work out were gonna be stuck dumpster diving for our next GM same way we did when SVG left.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#112 » by Canadafan » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:25 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

If the ROS is completely terrible where we show no or negative progress from the 1st half I could see Weaver being gone at the EOY
Let Weaver go then he was essentially a stop gap GM. He came here for multiple seasons with the goal to lose on purpose and try to get high draft picks and hit on some franchise guys. Results could of worked out better he took some BAP type high picks with mixed results but no Wembys,Millers,Chets, or Paolos. He leaves us with some young talent but more importantly a completely clean books. Maybe we wouldnt call it a huge success but it at least puts us in a position to get a good GM who knows how to finish off the job.

Our job is going to be so much much enticing for any good GM candidates on the market with a clean cap. If we allow Weaver on the hot seat to make some big decisions and they dont work out were gonna be stuck dumpster diving for our next GM same way we did when SVG left.

I like that. Would be nice to find a top tier GM that can take the next step for us. Agreed that letting Weaver do this, this summer, is about as good as allowing me to make moves for us.

Return to Detroit Pistons