ImageImageImage

If you had to pick between Monty or Weaver to fire? Who would it be?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

If you had to pick between Monty or Weaver to fire? Who would it be? 

Post#1 » by SuperBad » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:44 am

For Me it’s Monty, I liked the idea of paying big money for a coach, I didn’t want Monty and he didn’t want us. Troy weaver in my opinion is good at drafting talent, the rest of his work is pretty average, but I don’t think he’s really even tried to put together a cohesive roster until lately, it’s just been asset collecting to be traded later moves. Monty is awful, I feel like he always really has been.
I’d rather have Jarret Jack at this point in time to coach the rest of the year.
Fennis Dembo
Sophomore
And1: 41

Re: If you had to pick between Monty or Weaver to fire? Who would it be? 

Post#2 » by Fennis Dembo » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:10 am

SuperBad wrote:Troy weaver in my opinion is good at drafting talent

Umm...we just got bombed by Haliburton days after he had to cut the guy he drafted before him. His other two first round picks that year were traded for nothing and is currently serving a suspension for assaulting someone in the hallway. He's yet to draft a league average 3 point shooter. Am I missing sarcasm?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,858

Post#3 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:21 am

Neither.

What are the expectations for a “real” rebuild? Hayes was a bad pick. That really isn’t a big deal as long as he has some good picks too, which he does. The big thing is he hasn’t blown a big wad on extending Bey or Hayes, or trading for LaVine. Those are crippling mistakes. He hasn’t done those.

So now you need to synch up the maturity level of the youngsters w a couple of solid starters from free agency/trades. It seems last year was too early, but this year seems more appropriate.

Too many people on this board are freaking out about SRPs or end of rotation players. What matters is avoiding bad contracts, accumulating assets and have cap space under control so we can take advantage of trade opportunities.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#4 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:00 am

Gotta fire Weaver first. This is the roster he built. Nobody is winning games with this crap.

Funny enough even if Weaver got his coach in Ollie he would of stunk too. Similar to 2020 draft if he got pick 1 he takes Wiseman and it still sucks.

Read on Twitter
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Post#5 » by Cowology » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:42 am

Can we fire Gores?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#6 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 am

Cowology wrote:Can we fire Gores?

Whats sad is despite how awful we have been buying the Pistons has been a super successful venture for Gores. He bought them for 325mill now were estimated to be valued at 1.82bill.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,446

Post#7 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:06 am

I mean ideally both.

If contract values were not part of the equation you would fire Monty first and see what a competent coach could do with this roster. But in reality Weaver only has a couple(?) of seasons left on his contract whereas Monty is in the first of six years. So you would think Weaver will be the first to go.

My prediction is that Weaver has this off-season to improve the team and goes out and overpays Tobias Harris and makes some other marginal moves around the edges. Then in the first 30 games we have a record of 10-20 (or thereabouts) and he gets fired first. I can't see Monty being fired until he's at least three years into his contract (unless he really wants to leave too and him and Gores agree on a buyout).
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#8 » by vege » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:16 am

First to go have to be Weaver, well Gores in fact, but that's not an option. So fire Weaver today, andthen fire Monty at the end of the season.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#9 » by 440BB » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:42 am

Monty needs to be fired. Although Weaver has made some questionable moves, his mistakes seem small when you watch Monty make terrible lineup decisions and undermine the development of multiple players. At least Weaver is trying.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,446

Post#10 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:13 pm

Can anybody think of the most amount of years/money a coach has had left when they've been fired?

One that springs to mind is SVG when he was fired from the Pelicans after the first year of a four year contract. It was only 5M per season though so the Pelicans ate 15M.

If we fired Monty after this season it would be 5 years and 65M remaining.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#11 » by Canadafan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:02 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Cowology wrote:Can we fire Gores?

Whats sad is despite how awful we have been buying the Pistons has been a super successful venture for Gores. He bought them for 325mill now were estimated to be valued at 1.82bill.

Perfect. He should take the small loss and fire Monty.
Bring back Casey! Lol. Or at the least promote Jarett Jack
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#12 » by NYPiston » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:07 pm

Both obviously but Monty is the worse of the two evils. This roster, while flawed, should be better than THIS. Casey had a lesser talented roster playing much better. Monty needed to go like...yesterday.
Actually, the evilest evil is Gores but he's not selling so we're stuck choosing between these two dimwits.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#13 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:18 pm

Fire Weaver. As long as you get a competent GM in instead of him, that GM will take care of Monty by themselves. I don't want Weaver picking the next coach anyway.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#14 » by joedumars1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:19 pm

Mont Williams. Problem is gores can’t bite the bullet.

Return to Detroit Pistons