ImageImageImage

Game 74 - Pistons @ Wizards - 7pm ET

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Re: Game 74 - Pistons @ Wizards - 7pm ET 

Post#41 » by zeebneeb » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:I’d be fine with Stew if we weren’t so insistent on starting him.

Metu getting a 2 year is a head scratcher.
Your comment has made me think for a bit, so I went back, checked out some games from previous seasons, YouTube vids, and the very last game.

He is 6'9 225 lbs PF. He might be the cheap backup PF, and trade filler type, as the only thing he seems to do well, is defense, to a degree.

I am confused by this signing as well. I can't make heads or tails of it. Why the additional deal for next year, even if its a team option?

It signals to me that Weaver has intent to make moves at the position.(PF)

That's my best guess. *shrug*
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,751

Post#42 » by Cowology » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I remember Stack going 3-18 in Game 5 of the 1st round against the Raptors. Ball-hog, bad defense, not the best attitude, but luckily Corliss saved us.. Then in the 2nd round, in the clinching game, he shot 3-18.. He was shooting 39% during the regular season, too.

It's at moment like these I wish Dumars stuck around. He made a few horrible moves, but others made many more horrible moves without making some great movies, and any GM to bring a title should be credited, because some screw it up.

Dumars should be credited for what he did in the past. 100 percent.

But those days of solid moves were LONG gone by the time he left. Moving on from him was a necessary step. Gores just never brought in the right people afterwards.

Let’s not let nostalgia cloud our judgement here.

My general feeling on Stack is that he was a transitional piece for us. We weren’t winning a title with him as our starting shooting guard.
100% right. Dumars deserves a TON of credit for what he did. Rick Carlisle into LB was huge for this franchise, but he also made shrewd moves such as the Rip trade. He's also largely responsible for what transpired in the decade that followed. During a similar period, Ainge made shrewd moves and capitalized on his players value. We waited too long and then followed that with a series of unfortunate decisions. The magic was gone. Had been gone. All the love, respect & admiration... but well past time to move on.

Unfortunately, things did not improve from there. A sentiment that would be oft repeated in the years to follow. Big sad.

And yeah, Stack was not a guy that was ever going to win at a high level. Ultimately he was a volume scorer who didn't bring much else to the table, but without him the team would have been unwatchable. Let's not forget we were starting Ben Wallace AND Michael Curry. Who you giving the ball to? Those guys? Or Stack? :D

Overall it just took a decade too long before we decided to rebuild. That lead to a series of bad decisions over a couple of regimes and here we are.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,857

Post#43 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:50 pm

Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I remember Stack going 3-18 in Game 5 of the 1st round against the Raptors. Ball-hog, bad defense, not the best attitude, but luckily Corliss saved us.. Then in the 2nd round, in the clinching game, he shot 3-18.. He was shooting 39% during the regular season, too.

It's at moment like these I wish Dumars stuck around. He made a few horrible moves, but others made many more horrible moves without making some great movies, and any GM to bring a title should be credited, because some screw it up.

But those days of solid moves were LONG gone by the time he left. Moving on from him was a necessary step. Gores just never brought in the right people afterwards.

My general feeling on Stack is that he was a transitional piece for us. We weren’t winning a title with him as our starting shooting guard.
100% right. Dumars deserves a TON of credit for what he did. Rick Carlisle into LB was huge for this franchise, but he also made shrewd moves such as the Rip trade. He's also largely responsible for what transpired in the decade that followed. During a similar period, Ainge made shrewd moves and capitalized on his players value. We waited too long and then followed that with a series of unfortunate decisions. The magic was gone. Had been gone. All the love, respect & admiration... but well past time to move on.

Unfortunately, things did not improve from there. A sentiment that would be oft repeated in the years to follow. Big sad.

And yeah, Stack was not a guy that was ever going to win at a high level. Ultimately he was a volume scorer who didn't bring much else to the table, but without him the team would have been unwatchable. Let's not forget we were starting Ben Wallace AND Michael Curry. Who you giving the ball to? Those guys? Or Stack? :D

Overall it just took a decade too long before we decided to rebuild. That lead to a series of bad decisions over a couple of regimes and here we are.

Anyone remember Curry’s nickname on the board? Mr. Binary, because his stat lines were always just ones and zeros :lol:
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#44 » by hoophabit » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm

Zeeb called him "Binary Man" for his 1s and 0s stat lines.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#45 » by joedumars1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:20 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Anyone remember Curry’s nickname on the board? Mr. Binary, because his stat lines were always just ones and zeros :lol:

I can’t believe how long it took until they let tay start over him. I remember them playoff series with stack and being like who the f is this guy blocking shots and skying for these boards? Dudes all over the place, Ben Wallace! Then we built a little dynasty imo. Fun times
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,038

Post#46 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:29 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Cowology wrote:100% right. Dumars deserves a TON of credit for what he did. Rick Carlisle into LB was huge for this franchise, but he also made shrewd moves such as the Rip trade. He's also largely responsible for what transpired in the decade that followed. During a similar period, Ainge made shrewd moves and capitalized on his players value. We waited too long and then followed that with a series of unfortunate decisions. The magic was gone. Had been gone. All the love, respect & admiration... but well past time to move on.

I can’t believe how long it took until they let tay start over him. I remember them playoff series with stack and being like who the f is this guy blocking shots and skying for these boards? Dudes all over the place, Ben Wallace! Then we built a little dynasty imo. Fun times

The maddening thing was when they finally gave Tay minutes and they came from Corliss, not Curry.

People talk about Killian, but trading Curry was the original “you can’t start Pena” moment for this franchise.

Okay fine. Rick was fired before the trade. But maybe they were afraid defense-first Larry would play him too.

I still think it’s a valid question whether firing Rick was actually the right move. Larry Brown got us to a championship, but the team looked arguably worse than it had the previous year before we got Sheed, which was a sufficient roster shakeup that makes it an apples to oranges comparison IMO. And given how Brown’s tenure ended there’s an even better argument that we’d have been better off long term with Rick.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#47 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:02 pm

Snakebites wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

The maddening thing was when they finally gave Tay minutes and they came from Corliss, not Curry.

People talk about Killian, but trading Curry was the original “you can’t start Pena” moment for this franchise.

Okay fine. Rick was fired before the trade. But maybe they were afraid defense-first Larry would play him too.

I still think it’s a valid question whether firing Rick was actually the right move. Larry Brown got us to a championship, but the team looked arguably worse than it had the previous year before we got Sheed, which was a sufficient roster shakeup that makes it an apples to oranges comparison IMO. And given how Brown’s tenure ended there’s an even better argument that we’d have been better off long term with Rick.

I saw it as a "oh wow, he was fired, maybe..." move for Dumars, since we were swept against NJ, but people forget Chauncey was injured in the playoffs, after playing so great. I didn't know a thing about LB then, but it was the first time I ever heard the word, "carpetbagger".

... We went 21-4 after getting Sheed..
In his second year, Brown has to tell all the media how coaching the Knicks would be his dream job.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#48 » by joedumars1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:12 pm

Snakebites wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan when Rick got fired, but Larry was my first choice and was happy when we got
Him and he brought what Joe wanted and that was a chip, but keeping Rick might’ve turned out better, considering he might’ve won one or more
and could’ve stayed for awhile and grew with the team/franchise. Again fun times, lol. Hopefully we’re able to enjoy that again sometime.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,446

Post#49 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:26 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I’d be fine with Stew if we weren’t so insistent on starting him.

Metu getting a 2 year is a head scratcher.
Your comment has made me think for a bit, so I went back, checked out some games from previous seasons, YouTube vids, and the very last game.

He is 6'9 225 lbs PF. He might be the cheap backup PF, and trade filler type, as the only thing he seems to do well, is defense, to a degree.

I am confused by this signing as well. I can't make heads or tails of it. Why the additional deal for next year, even if its a team option?

It signals to me that Weaver has intent to make moves at the position.(PF)

That's my best guess. *shrug*

These team option contracts are all upside with no downside. If he balls out then you can pick up his team option with him on a minimum contract. If he sucks then you cut him with no guaranteed money.

The worse outcome is that you only sign him this season and he looks really good, and then if you want to keep him you have to pay significantly more. I think that's less likely in Metu's case though as he's not great.

Return to Detroit Pistons