ImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,968

Re: NBA Playoffs 

Post#121 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 8, 2024 3:24 am

Watching the playoffs makes me hate the Pistons even more. Watching all the players the Pistons got screwed out of with #5 picks.

Ivey instead of Chet/Banchero
Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

Can you imagine Cade Chet or Cade Victor?

I love basketball, but this just pains me to watch.

Man I hope its not the same ass clownery next season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,982

Post#122 » by Snakebites » Wed May 8, 2024 3:59 am

zeebneeb wrote:Watching the playoffs makes me hate the Pistons even more. Watching all the players the Pistons got screwed out of with #5 picks.

Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

Honestly the roll of the ping pong balls doesn't bother me too much. I've made my peace with the luck element of the game. It's watching the guys we actually could have taken with the picks that we did have that bugs the crap out of me.

So your Devin Bookers, your Tyrese Maxeys, etc.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#123 » by jars » Wed May 8, 2024 7:11 am

Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Watching the playoffs makes me hate the Pistons even more. Watching all the players the Pistons got screwed out of with #5 picks.

Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

Honestly the roll of the ping pong balls doesn't bother me too much. I've made my peace with the luck element of the game. It's watching the guys we actually could have taken with the picks that we did have that bugs the crap out of me.

As an organisation we haven't really drafted well for the last 30 years. We have had a handful rotation guys, but no real star between Grant Hill and Cade (unless you count Drummond or Middleton).
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,412

Post#124 » by Mr Peanut » Wed May 8, 2024 7:55 am

Snakebites wrote:Timberwolves look like the real deal. :o

Crazy to me that Edwards was a number one pick most weren’t very sold on and the Wolves tried to trade down.

Also crazy that Troy had Wiseman at the top of his board over Edwards. :lol:
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,247

Post#125 » by BDM22 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:10 am

Mr Peanut wrote:

Crazy to me that Edwards was a number one pick most weren’t very sold on and the Wolves tried to trade down.

Pretty sure I remember hearing that Minny had Wiseman #1 but didn't like the fit with KAT so they went with ANT instead.

In an anonymous poll amongst NBA execs, they picked Wiseman as the #1 pick prior to the draft.

A lot of teams liked the mystery box of physical tools that was James Wiseman coming out of the draft but everyone likes to go revisionist history with hindsight.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,966

Post#126 » by MotownMadness » Wed May 8, 2024 11:13 am

BDM22 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Pretty sure I remember hearing that Minny had Wiseman #1 but didn't like the fit with KAT so they went with ANT instead.

In an anonymous poll amongst NBA execs, they picked Wiseman as the #1 pick prior to the draft.

A lot of teams liked the mystery box of physical tools that was James Wiseman coming out of the draft but everyone likes to go revisionist history with hindsight.

I was all in on Edwards at #1. He was clearly gonna bust or be a star with how many shots he would put up. He wasn't consistent with it though which started to give him a chucker label.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,375

Post#127 » by Spider156 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:10 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

Man I hope it’s not the same ass clownery next season.

For me what’s ticking me off is how come other players develop into stars and we have guys like Ivey that look like idiots with the ball? We have guys that have no interest in playing defense and aren’t even aware of it to play that side of the ball. We have a bunch of idiots that can’t be coached and an idiot that can’t coach these idiots. It all starts with the dumb owner and manager we have.

Not too upset, Michigan football won national championship and Lions are one of the favorites to go for Super Bowl. Just gotta jump sports and eventually Pistons will come around. No I don’t think we develop next season. I think we need to trade half the core to be honest much like Magic did flipping Tobias Gordon Vucevic, we can’t keep our idiots.
Defense wins championships
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#128 » by Spider156 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:13 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:

This is what did it for me with Weaver. I think he’s the most overrated drafter and what’s sad is he has drafted better than previous GM’s. Imo we need to keep tanking.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#129 » by buzzkilloton » Wed May 8, 2024 1:55 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

I was all in on Edwards at #1. He was clearly gonna bust or be a star with how many shots he would put up. He wasn't consistent with it though which started to give him a chucker label.

I remember you being very high on him in the draft thread. Melo was the actual consensus that year thats who I had 1 by memory. The Warriors went Wiseman at 2 but they did have Klay and Curry already in the backcourt.

We can actually go back and look at the composite bigboard rankings of all the major draft sites to go back and actually see where players were projected at the time. Its not a perfect formula as some websites are higher quality then others and its not every website on the internet. Still its a good baseline to go look at years down the line to compare your GMs thought process with the average of internet.

https://hoopsprospects.com/2020/11/2020-nba-draft-composite-rankings/

This is 10 different websites a week before the draft consensus big boards all combined. Wiseman actually had 0 places giving him a rank 1 but he did have a couple 2s.

1.Lamelo
2.Ant
3.Wiseman
5.Hayes
7.Hali
14.Bey
18. Maxey
23. Bane
30. Stewart
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,371

Post#130 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:37 pm

jars wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
jars wrote:Fixed :lol:

But in all seriousness, he is too much of a sieve on defense and is mostly effective when initiating offense which is fine as a guy off the bench on a playoff team, less nice as a starter for a bottom of the league team.

He looked pretty effective on defense to me last night. Everyone playing major minutes for Minny was defensively *terrorizing* the Nuggets, Anderson included. At least by the eye test.

I didn't say I'd want him to be a starter either. I think he'd be a solid sixth/seventh man for us. And before you ask why he'd come here for a bench role, for the money. He'd do it for the money.

I think he's effective on that team because of their schemes. Like Kevin Love at the Cavs, I think he can play good team defense if he has good defenders around him, but most of the time fans on his team are nervous when he is defending the ball. In a vacuum, I like him, but I just don't think he fits our current roster that well, especially because our defense is already an issue.

I'm just curious, how much do you think it would cost to get him in free agency? He is currently a touch over $9million. If we can get him at that price, I don't hate it, but I also think someone will offer him more than that. If he gets $15 million, he would have to be a starter, right?

I think in today's market, $15 per isn't unreasonable for a top 8 rotation player coming off the bench, especially if you have a decent amount of cap room due to having a fairly young roster. That's about what Beefstew is making, and I think Stew could definitely still be a bench player for us.

I think the more we get people who can at least raise the floor on offense and defense, the better. Slow-Mo is one of those that I think can play solid team defense and has good defensive length and can give us a competence that will rise as we add more plus defenders. Being a weaker link on an all-world defense isn't a bad thing, IMO. I think he's still a plus player at his position (on both sides) especially as depth.

With Ausar, Grimes, Stew, and Tek we're slowly building some defensive potential. I'd love to really add to that in a major way (target plus defenders in the draft and throughout free agency and really work to find a rim protector).
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,371

Post#131 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:40 pm

Spider156 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

Man I hope it’s not the same ass clownery next season.

For me what’s ticking me off is how come other players develop into stars and we have guys like Ivey that look like idiots with the ball? We have guys that have no interest in playing defense and aren’t even aware of it to play that side of the ball. We have a bunch of idiots that can’t be coached and an idiot that can’t coach these idiots. It all starts with the dumb owner and manager we have.

Not too upset, Michigan football won national championship and Lions are one of the favorites to go for Super Bowl. Just gotta jump sports and eventually Pistons will come around. No I don’t think we develop next season. I think we need to trade half the core to be honest much like Magic did flipping Tobias Gordon Vucevic, we can’t keep our idiots.

It makes me wonder how well we're doing at judging player intangibles. It doesn't seem like we draft players who have that dog in them. Ones who are competitive psychopaths and leave it all on the floor. Guys like Killian, Wiseman, Ivey, Bey, etc. seem either low BB IQ, slow processors, bad decision makers, or competitively soft or some combination of those.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#132 » by Snakebites » Wed May 8, 2024 2:48 pm

jars wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Ausar instead of Victor

Can't even tank right.

As an organisation we haven't really drafted well for the last 30 years. We have had a handful rotation guys, but no real star between Grant Hill and Cade (unless you count Drummond or Middleton).

Yeah it’s been abysmal. Andre Drummond is the only guy since Grant Hill who ever became an all star with us.

And he’s Drummond…
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#133 » by Spider156 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:54 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Honestly the roll of the ping pong balls doesn't bother me too much. I've made my peace with the luck element of the game. It's watching the guys we actually could have taken with the picks that we did have that bugs the crap out of me.

It makes me wonder how well we're doing at judging player intangibles. It doesn't seem like we draft players who have that dog in them. Ones who are competitive psychopaths and leave it all on the floor. Guys like Killian, Wiseman, Ivey, Bey, etc. seem either low BB IQ, slow processors, bad decision makers, or competitively soft or some combination of those.

I think if you’re going to say “dog” you really mean playing hard defense and offensively having a strong tenacity to take what you want which is the position and the shot. So if you’re gonna go that route, Killian defensively was pretty solid not gonna lie, Ivey wiseman bey are completely lost! I don’t even blame them they shouldn’t be starting in the first place, that’s weaver’s fault for not getting any starting talent. Offensively, I think Ivey is tenacious just gotta get the ball to drop in which means mentally he’s not confident enough yet. A shot is a story you tell yourself in the head and guide your fingers to finish the story. It’s mind and hand eye coordination. Ivey struggles with that because he’s actually not that good. It happens let him come off the bench as a backup PG and trade sasser. Bey actually had a competitive offensive drive. Wiseman has neither right now, killian zero offense. I’d keep drafting imo we NEED more young talent. Just add more players to the team and resign everyone. We are so far away from competing, I wouldn’t mind tanking next year for Cooper, think about it. He can help Cade and we don’t need to give up assets to get him. It’s okay to suck another year, 1 it’s inevitable and 2 any one of our young guys can blow up.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#134 » by vege » Thu May 9, 2024 2:52 am

I love watching the Knicks. They are everything we are not.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#135 » by bstein14 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 am

vege wrote:I love watching the Knicks. They are everything we are not.

Instead of taking the Knicks trash so they could sign Brunson, we should have backed up the brinks truck for him and gave him a max deal. We'd be in an entirely different situation right now.
vege
RealGM

Post#136 » by vege » Thu May 9, 2024 2:58 am

bstein14 wrote:

Instead of taking the Knicks trash so they could sign Brunson, we should have backed up the brinks truck for him and gave him a max deal. We'd be in an entirely different situation right now.

I wanted Brunson and Mitchell Robinson that offseason. But we took Burks and Noel and Kemba (and Duren).
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,504

Post#137 » by Canadafan » Thu May 9, 2024 4:48 am

bstein14 wrote:

I remember us being rumored to want him but he obviously wanted Knicks with his dad's presence beinga factor as well
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#138 » by Snakebites » Thu May 9, 2024 6:03 am

Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

I remember us being rumored to want him but he obviously wanted Knicks with his dad's presence beinga factor as well

Yeah, I remember it looking and feeling like Brunson to the Knicks was a foregone conclusion.
vege
RealGM

Post#139 » by vege » Thu May 9, 2024 6:48 am

Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

It's just not Brunson. The Knicks added DDV and Hartenstein via Free agency.

They traded for Hart. They traded for OG (traded the promising guys they drafted in order to acquire him fwiw).

They developed Mitchell, they developed McBride and they make bad players like Achiuwa work because they have a system, and the players fit that system and the modern NBA.

They have a team that fit what their coach want to do and his playing style. They're not the most talented team out there, but they play hard, they win every 50/50 ball, they play great defense (because they have elite defenders), they have a lot of wingers, and their players are high bbiq players that can defend and hit 3's.

We had cap space to sign free agents every year since Weaver took over.

Isaiah Hartenstein signed a 2 year , $16,000,000 contract with the New York Knicks, including $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,000,000.

Donte DiVincenzo signed a 4 year , $46,870,000 contract with the New York Knicks, including $46,870,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,717,500.

Those 2 guys are elite starters in likely a conference final's team and the #2 seed.

The Knicks are in a big market and players want to be there, but they did not sign any marquee free agent. Brunson was the biggest name they signed in free agency to build this team, and he was not a star, he was a 3rd banana in a meh team.

Hart is 28
Brunson and DDV are 27
OG is 26
Robinson and Hartenstein are 25
McBride is 23

Bojan is likely going to be trade fodder next season, for them to add another piece with all the picks they have, including OUR PICK.

Randle is 29 and he is unnecessary. If they upgrade Randle they will be a title contender for the foresseable future.

Not long ago people were comparing the Knicks future with Detroit's future. The Knicks FO did their job, our FO didn't.

The Knicks are everything we are not, because their front office know how to build a roster, and our front office doesn't. Weaver have been sitting on his hands, doing stupid stuff and collecting pay checks for 4 years, meanwhile the rest of the league have been working.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 493

Post#140 » by MortSahlfan » Thu May 9, 2024 2:00 pm

I mentioned Hart (on Pistons.com msg board) and a few said, "He sucks. He can't shoot. He won't move the needle"

Return to Detroit Pistons