Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

List of number 1 overall draft picks since 2022 

Post#1 » by Rip32 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:19 am

10. Anthony Bennett - Cleveland Cavaliers (2013) - Bust
9. Markelle Fultz - Philadelphia Sixers (2017) - Bust
8. Cade Cunningham - Detroit Pistons (2021) - Decent Not Franchise Player. Could be often injured player
7. Deandre Ayton - Phoenix Suns (2018) - Decent Not Franchise Player
6. Paolo Banchero - Orlando Magic (2022) - Could be a Franchise Player
5. Ben Simmons - Philadelphia Sixers (2016) - Bust
4. Andrew Wiggins - Cleveland Cavaliers (2014) - Decent Not Franchise Player
3. Karl-Anthony Towns - Minnesota Timberwolves (2015) - Decent Not Franchise Player
2. Zion Williamson - New Orleans Pelicans (2019) - Decent Not Franchise Player. Often Injured
1. Anthony Edwards - Minnesota Timberwolves (2020) - True Franchise Player

Only 1 Anthony Edwards is a true franchise player. Most number 1s turn out decent but nothing great and a lot of them turn into bust

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,065

Re: List of number 1 overall draft picks since 2022 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 2:39 am

Rip32 wrote:10. Anthony Bennett - Cleveland Cavaliers (2013) - Bust
8. Cade Cunningham - Detroit Pistons (2021) - Decent Not Franchise Player. Could be often injured player
3. Karl-Anthony Towns - Minnesota Timberwolves (2015) - Decent Not Franchise Player
2. Zion Williamson - New Orleans Pelicans (2019) - Decent Not Franchise Player. Often Injured

Only 1 Anthony Edwards is a true franchise player. Most number 1s turn out decent but nothing great and a lot of them turn into bust

The advantage of the number one pick varies from draft to draft.

In this draft it isn't an advantage. In the last one it would have been a huge advantage.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#3 » by smann7 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 am

The funny thing is that Cade in essentially year two has the same shooting percentages as Ant. Ant attempted 1 more fg and 2 more fts per game.

Now Cade will never be the highlight player Ant is and I will agree that Ant shows much more dog in him than Cade. But the point is statistically they really aren’t that far apart and Cade doesn’t have near the weapons around him that Ant has.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 am

smann7 wrote:The funny thing is that Cade in essentially year two has the same shooting percentages as Ant. Ant attempted 1 more fg and 2 more fts per game.

Now Cade will never be the highlight player Ant is and I will agree that Ant shows much more dog in him than Cade. But the point is statistically they really aren’t that far apart and Cade doesn’t have near the weapons around him that Ant has.

You're in a safe place here but you probably don't want to throw that ANT comparison around outside of this board. It's really not close.

We don't need him to be ANT right now. But he isn't, and even if he improves he's just not that type of player anyway.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#5 » by smann7 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:29 am

Snakebites wrote:
smann7 wrote:The funny thing is that Cade in essentially year two has the same shooting percentages as Ant. Ant attempted 1 more fg and 2 more fts per game.

You're in a safe place here but you probably don't want to throw that ANT comparison around outside of this board. It's really not close.

We don't need him to be ANT right now. But he isn't, and even if he improves he's just not that type of player anyway.

I understand that and thought I made clear how they were different. My point was that statistically they aren’t far apart, in fact Cades numbers are a tad better through 138 games played.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,284

Post#6 » by MrBigShot » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 am

smann7 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I understand that and thought I made clear how they were different. My point was that statistically they aren’t far apart, in fact Cades numbers are a tad better through 138 games played.

Only if you compare RS stats. Playoffs against the best competition, Ant is in a stratosphere Cade will never reach.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#7 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 14, 2024 4:08 am

I love definitive statements.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 am

MrBigShot wrote:
smann7 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:You're in a safe place here but you probably don't want to throw that ANT comparison around outside of this board. It's really not close.

Only if you compare RS stats. Playoffs against the best competition, Ant is in a stratosphere Cade will never reach.

Even in RS stats he’s more efficient on higher volume.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,284

Post#9 » by MrBigShot » Tue May 14, 2024 4:14 am

zeebneeb wrote:I love definitive statements.

I'm a huge fan of Cade and high on his potential but it's simply a matter of physical tools. Both are incredibly skilled. But Ant has gifts that enable him to do things that Cade can't; Cade has to work so damn hard to get his points, while Ant can often just blow by people with his first step and elevate right over them for a layup or dunk. He can get separation for a jumper anytime he wants. His athleticism also makes him a more capable defender.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Post#10 » by Rip32 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:35 am

MrBigShot wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I love definitive statements.

I'm a huge fan of Cade and high on his potential but it's simply a matter of physical tools. Both are incredibly skilled. But Ant has gifts that enable him to do things that Cade can't; Cade has to work so damn hard to get his points, while Ant can often just blow by people with his first step and elevate right over them for a layup or dunk. He can get separation for a jumper anytime he wants. His athleticism also makes him a more capable defender.

I like Cade but with his physical limitations, I don't believe we should be building around him. At one point Houston really liked him. I would love to get younger talent plus draft picks.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,293

Post#11 » by BDM22 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:38 am

Ant and Cade are basically the same exact age. Ant is wayyyy further ahead and his room to grow is much higher from here given his athletic profile.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,867

Post#12 » by theBigLip » Tue May 14, 2024 6:18 am

Rip32 wrote:10. Anthony Bennett - Cleveland Cavaliers (2013) - Bust

I like the analysis. And these are #1 picks. It gets worse even going down a bit more. GMs have a big budget and lots of scouts, all smart people, and the draft is still a crap shoot.

One nit-pick, I think the expression “Decent - not a franchise player” could be broken up a bit more. Zion and Cade, and maybe even KAT should have something that sounds a little better. They are all AllStar level talent. But regardless, the analysis still is legit - #1 picks are far from a guarantee.

And I’m staying out of the Cade=Ant debate :lol: I love Cade, but Ant is the closest thing to MJ since Kobe? Scary to think that he is still improving.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,958

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue May 14, 2024 10:46 am

"All-Star Talent (excludes brain)" could characterize a few of those #1s.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,385

Post#14 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:31 pm

Fultz is at least a role player. Bust for #1 overall, sure, but not a total bust. Ben Simmons is more "washed up" than bust, imo. He was worth that pick his first few seasons in the league.

Zion is tricky in that he totally *is* a franchise player when healthy.

Cade is better than Ayton or Wiggins at least, imo. It'd be nice to be able to have a guy like KAT on his team to take some of the pressure off of him. I do think longterm Cade is probably more a 1B on a championship team and probably has a top 15 player ceiling rather than top 5.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Wed May 15, 2024 8:28 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Fultz is at least a role player. Bust for #1 overall, sure, but not a total bust. Ben Simmons is more "washed up" than bust, imo. He was worth that pick his first few seasons in the league.

Zion is tricky in that he totally *is* a franchise player when healthy.

Cade is better than Ayton or Wiggins at least, imo. It'd be nice to be able to have a guy like KAT on his team to take some of the pressure off of him. I do think longterm Cade is probably more a 1B on a championship team and probably has a top 15 player ceiling rather than top 5.

Injuries are a major issue for Zion.

He's also a very hard player to build around in the modern NBA. He's a power forward who doesn't protect the rim or offer spacing as a shooter, and he needs the ball in his hands to be effective.

The Pelicans need to find a defensive center who can shoot to pair with him. And those don't grow on trees.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#16 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:45 am

Zion is also an offensive system in and of himself. The need for spacing isn't as huge when he's able to be so dominant offensively even without ideal space. The rim protection is the bigger deal, but Zion has at least flashed defensive ability at times. His lack of consistent drive and huge injury questions hold him back from his full physical potential, but he's otherworldly when he puts it together.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,227

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Fri May 24, 2024 12:29 pm

Cade's situation reminds me a lot of Wiggins. He was #1 overall, playing decent but not performing like a #1 overall pick. The Wolves doubled down with a generous (not max IIRC) extension. Wiggins did blossom into a very good player with the Warriors, but still overpaid and overall had to be considered a disappointment.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,470

Post#18 » by Billl » Fri May 24, 2024 2:01 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Cade's situation reminds me a lot of Wiggins. He was #1 overall, playing decent but not performing like a #1 overall pick. The Wolves doubled down with a generous (not max IIRC) extension. Wiggins did blossom into a very good player with the Warriors, but still overpaid and overall had to be considered a disappointment.

Eh - I don't think wiggins loves basketball. He's got all the tools, but he's just never been all that engaged.

And I'm not sure how you are getting your standards for performing like a #1 overall pick . 23/7/4 are pretty monster stats. There are only like 10 guys in the league putting up 20+ with 7 assists and the are all all-stars. Obviously the team sucks so that takes some shine off of his individual stats, but he's putting up big numbers. What are you expecting from a #1 pick? 30/10?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#19 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 25, 2024 11:24 pm

As I recall, consistency (or lack therein) was Wiggins' big thing as a fringe star before locking into being a role player on the Warriors.

Also, why does this thread title say "since 2022"?
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#20 » by mattao313 » Yesterday 8:02 am

Not a fan of Cades game at all still can be a decent player I guess still have no interest in building around him. He can be a piece sure but no not a franchise player at all.
Championships

Return to Detroit Pistons