ImageImageImage

Nostalgia time! How good was the Thomas/Dumars backcourt?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Nostalgia time! How good was the Thomas/Dumars backcourt? 

Post#1 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:31 am

Watching that old video of them clashing with the Bulls (during the pregame) made me ponder: where does that backcourt rank in the all time great backcourts?
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Re: Nostalgia time! How good was the Thomas/Dumars backcourt 

Post#2 » by srt4b » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:Watching that old video of them clashing with the Bulls (during the pregame) made me ponder: where does that backcourt rank in the all time great backcourts?

pretty high
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#3 » by Warspite » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Best I have ever seen....

My dad said that Frazier and Monroe were better but that was it. The 3 man rotation with Vinnie is w/o a doubt the best.

The 2nd best I have seen was Humphries, Robertson (all time steals per game leader) and Pierce (allstar 6th man of the yr).
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Hunter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:22 pm

I'd say it was the best 3-man rotation, but as far as starters go I'd probably put them about 3rd or 4th.

Aside from Frazier & Monroe I'd say Jerry West & Gail Goodrich were pretty damn good. I'd also put Magic & either Norm Nixon or Byron Scott into the conversation.

And I'd reluctantly put Jordan and...whoever into the mix, just because Jordan was so good. I'd wanna say Ron Harper, even though I know he only played limited minutes and wasn't the 20 mpg scorer he was with the Clips he was still probably the best back court player that MJ teamed with.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#5 » by chrbal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am

Thomas and Dumars were among the best starting guard duo ever. I'd say at least top 5 all time. At times it was like they were communicating via a psychic link.

The 3 guard tandem, Vinnie added, was (i think) the best ever. But I started watching NBA in '88, so i never saw a bunch of them.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#6 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:31 am

Didn't Oscar Robertson average a triple double one season (or close to it?)?

Dumars, Thomas and Johnson were so damn good together. It's damn rare to have three good guards like that. I'm trying to think of the best three guard combos on teams right now. Bell, Nash and Barbosa?
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#7 » by Warspite » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:53 am

Dirtgrain wrote:Didn't Oscar Robertson average a triple double one season (or close to it?)?

Dumars, Thomas and Johnson were so damn good together. It's damn rare to have three good guards like that. I'm trying to think of the best three guard combos on teams right now. Bell, Nash and Barbosa?

He did it for 3 seasons but whos counting?
Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Muzzleshot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Cousy/Sharman has to be near the top.

Return to Detroit Pistons