ImageImageImage

Stuckey and Amir

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#41 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:40 pm

I'm not even sure what that means. Just go look at the vaunted stat collection of 82games.com and you'll see its all there. I don't see where I said he didn't sleep with somebody while there are contrary text messages.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#42 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm

I would rather he keep getting blocked in the lane then seeing him rely on jumpers for 85% of his shots because they aren't as likely to get blocked. Stuckey is going to be blocked more than our other gaurds because he actually gets itno the lane more than the other gaurds. How many times have we all screamed at the Tv yelling at the players to attack the basket? good for Rodney to be one of the only ones to do it consistently.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,191

Post#43 » by bstein14 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Liqourish wrote:I would rather he keep getting blocked in the lane then seeing him rely on jumpers for 85% of his shots because they aren't as likely to get blocked. Stuckey is going to be blocked more than our other gaurds because he actually gets itno the lane more than the other gaurds. How many times have we all screamed at the Tv yelling at the players to attack the basket? good for Rodney to be one of the only ones to do it consistently.

I don't know how you can be happy that someone is taking it to the lane and making less than 30% of their shots.

We want people to take it inside to get high % shots and if you're getting them blocked 21% of the time they're not going to be high %.

You need to be able to hit jumpers to be able to open up the penetration, and once he gets inside if someone's man is helping out he needs to make the pass. Just because he gets inside doesn't mean he needs to try to shoot it over a big man. He needs to learn to make the right pass.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,191

Post#44 » by bstein14 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:04 pm

Bottom line is I've been on these boards since the days of Pistons fans getting excited about Cleaves, Rodney White, Darko, Delfino, etc.

Two players out of the league, Darko is a below average center, and Delfino is coming off the bench shooting less than 40%... He might be in Europe in a year or two.

You can't look at what Amir did in the NBDL or what Stuckey did in the preseason because its just not the same competition.

Amir has shown more, alot more, of being a legit NBA player than Stuckey has to this point.

Stuckey didn't play against great competition in college... he didn't play in the Big Ten or ACC.

He has shown NOTHING AT ALL of being this teams PG of the future.

Yet people on here are blindly on his nuts. And even worse they have an excuse in the hand injury as to why he's shooting 28% from the floor.

Stuckey may end up being a good NBA player, but the bottom line is he has not shown us anything at all yet in meaningful minutes. He hasn't been good at all. He is not even close to helping this team in the playoffs.
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,432

Post#45 » by magee » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:12 pm

^He's a rookie. If his name were LeBron James or Kevin Durant, it'd be a different story. Most players in the NBA aren't at theat caliber. Anyone expecting a lot out of Stuckey right off the bat are missing out on what he can do in the future. It's not going to happen this season. Wait another year or two.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#46 » by Master Shake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 pm

Are any of you seriously expecting immediate stardom? That's why we just inked Billups to a long term deal.

The kids a rookie, not even been on a full year of NBA workout schedules yet. I know you've seen how quick he is. He's had an injury, and he's out there busting his ass.

Give him time to figure the game out, learn scouting reports, and learn the offense. Not to mention get some confidence. It all comes with time. I bet you by year 3 you'll forget all about the rookie growing pains.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#47 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 pm

We won't forget. But people talk about him contributing right now and the Pistons are playing him like a contributor right now at the expense of Afflalo the other rookie who wasn't doing a bad job with a veteran club.

Of course Stuckey will be better in year 3, but right now we're just evaluating his progress.

This board is weird sometimes. It seems like there must be concensus before any one can criticise. Odd how Flip can be criticised for his coaching decisions, Hamilton can be criticised when he came back from an injury, had a baby and had to adjust to McDyess starting and Tay can be called soft, but Stuckey can't be called not good enough yet? Not even not good. But just not good enough yet. :(
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#48 » by BDM22 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:This board is weird sometimes. It seems like there must be concensus before any one can criticise. Odd how Flip can be criticised for his coaching decisions, Hamilton can be criticised when he came back from an injury, had a baby and had to adjust to McDyess starting and Tay can be called soft, but Stuckey can't be called not good enough yet? Not even not good. But just not good enough yet. :(

Everyone you mentioned in that paragraph has been in the pro game for 6+ years. Their weaknesses and strengths are known. Stuckey has played 19 games, and he is coming off a significant injury. No one is saying you can't say he has not played well (this is a fact). But to completely write him off already would be a mistake. He needs a few more weeks to see if he can put it together for this year's playoff run. You cannot compare people criticizing a starter with people criticizing a rookie in Rodney's situation. Main guys should always be scrutinized more heavily than reserves. That's why they're main guys.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#49 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 pm

That doesn't make any sense. Yes the main guys are known quantities, but why can't we discuss what we see as the growing pains of a rookie while acknowledging he's a rookie? Nobody's saying he won't have a chance to improve. (Maybe except Chuck Nevecic) The rest of see his flaws and the parts of his game that we want to see him develop.

I was critical of his attempts to drive and score because we already had a guard who can do that in Flip Murray. I wanted to see him expand beyond those skills. Now he's trying to gain some real point guard skills and I laud him for that but it shows some of his limitations beyond his hand injury.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#50 » by roc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:20 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:I'm not even sure what that means. Just go look at the vaunted stat collection of 82games.com and you'll see its all there. I don't see where I said he didn't sleep with somebody while there are contrary text messages.

In reference to jab's quote (no. 5)

Jab was quoting your post, not to dispute it but in reference to my rebuttal (no. 4) to nos. 2 and 3.

Here is how it unfolded...

1:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Just looking at more of Stuckey's statistics and a whopping 21 per cent of his inside shots are blocked. That's one in every five. He's really got to learn to finish better since half his shots are drives to the rim.

2:
bstein14 wrote:21% of his shots have been blocked?!?!

That's a crazy amount.

On the bright side, he's making almost 40% of his shots that aren't blocked.

3:
Hunter wrote:
bstein14 wrote:21% of his shots have been blocked?!?!

That's a crazy amount.

On the bright side, he's making almost 40% of his shots that aren't blocked.

:lol: ....... :cry:

4:
r0cd0gg wrote:not 21% of his shots, 21% of his INSIDE shots

5:
jab wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:Just looking at more of Stuckey's statistics and a whopping 21 per cent of his inside shots are blocked. That's one in every five. He's really got to learn to finish better since half his shots are drives to the rim.
:thinking:

Busted

Kwame Kilpatrick's lifetime legal advisor is posting in this forum.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#51 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXByT3588c

An Amir mix i found on Youtube. it makes me excited all over again for him to be on the court
jab
Starter
And1: 3
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#52 » by jab » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:27 pm

:o

Detroit Basketball has NO room for that foolishness said Flip Saunders.

Not even 5 minutes a game.

Why waste time with dunks and ally oops with Amir.

As long as Dice can throw up jumpers for 31 minutes a game and fumble passes out of bounds why should Amir get any burn :banghead:

Return to Detroit Pistons