ImageImageImage

Game 46: Lakers @ Detroit // Thur. 7.30pm on TV20 Detroit

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#181 » by Hunter » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:37 am

srt4b wrote:17 Steals & 7 Blocks tonight! Amazing!!
I think we also had something like 17 turnovers ourselves which is a bit high for us. It wasn't just the young guys either - the bench only contributed 6 of thsoe.

But yeah, 17 steals & 7 blocks is very nice. Kobe had 11 turnovers in the game and most of those were forced.

btw - great crowd at the Palace tonight. They were up most of the night and about the most excited I can remember them being all season with the exception of the Boston game.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#182 » by roc » Fri Feb 1, 2008 7:42 am

Lamar Odom threw up another airball! LOL They thought snatching nasty's time machine was gonna get them a win the second time around.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#183 » by nasty daddy » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:43 am

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 10425/1051

When the Lakers have one final chance to win a game, you can bet on two things. Kobe Bryant will be selected to take the final shot. And opponents will know that and try to deny him the ball. Usually, Bryant gets it anyway. But not Thursday night against the Pistons.As point guard Chauncey Billups fronted Bryant, and Tayshaun Prince -- who had just given the Pistons a one-point lead with a three-pointer -- lurked by his side with 4.4 seconds left, Lakers forward Lamar Odom had little choice.

"I think (Bryant) was a little surprised," Billups said. "I denied him, but he didn't really work that hard to get it because he was probably waiting on them to throw it over the top. But he was surprised they didn't throw it to him. I saw his face when the play was over."Bryant had been nearly unstoppable since halftime, when he scored all but 13 of his 39 points. He finished with the non-glamorous sort of triple-double with 10 rebounds and 11 turnovers.

Equally troubling was the disparity at the line. The Pistons took two free throws in the first 24 minutes. The Lakers took 22, making 16. Some frustration mounted, and both Richard Hamilton and Billups -- named All-Stars reserves before the game -- earned technical fouls for arguing calls. The final free-throw tally was 35 attempts for L.A., 16 for the Pistons.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#184 » by nasty daddy » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:07 am

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/LALDET_ ... recap.html

On a night Kobe Bryant was either throwing the ball away or throwing it in the basket, at the end all he would throw up was his hands in disbelief. After Tayshaun Prince
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#185 » by nasty daddy » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:54 am

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 0425/1051/

Prince went home the hero after hitting the winner, a three from the corner that came after Rasheed Wallace missed and Prince scooped up the rebound. He passed it out to Billups, who went right back to Prince."I really had to get my legs into it," said Prince, who scored 22. "I was a little tired throughout the game. I missed a lot of easy lay-ups. But Chauncey made the perfect play."

The Pistons' bench, especially rookies Arron Afflalo and Rodney Stuckey, played a big part in the win. Each scored 10 points, and Stuckey orchestrated a 10-2 run to open the fourth quarter that put the Pistons back up three."I almost went with him the whole way," Saunders said. "But it's tough when (Billups) has been selected an All-Star today (to) not let him finish the game."

An 11-0 run that started with a driving dunk by Stuckey first broke open the game in the second quarter. That brought the Pistons on the bench to their feet -- they've been waiting to see Stuckey dunk all season -- and infected the team with energy. The Pistons also fed off four Lakers turnovers during the stretch, taking a 17-point lead.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#186 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Feb 1, 2008 11:59 am

Pistons#1 wrote:Tay always plays well against the Lakers.

Lakers fans probably have the most inaccurate preception of the guy of any fans in the league for the unrepresentative performances he turns in against them.

Ive seen him twice at Staples and he put up 30 or more both times.

Isn't that his hometown team? So he'd be up for playing them.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#187 » by nasty daddy » Fri Feb 1, 2008 9:30 pm

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... logid=1161

Rasheed Wallace, of all people, was the only one who understood what was going on Thursday and he was the only one to back off. Referee Jack Nies has a short fuse on most nights, and he has virtually no fuse when it comes to the Pistons. So Wallace was smart enough to step back and not provoke him -- at least not as much as he would almost any other official. Sadly, Richard Hamilton didn't follow suit. Hamilton argued with Nies after he got kicked in the hip by Lamar Odom and earned the foul. Rip's parting shot was, "You are still blind." With that, Nies T'd him up and the Pistons didn't get another favorable call from Nies until the fourth quarter. The Lakers had 22 free throw attempts to the Pistons' two in the first half and it completely turned the game around. The Pistons should know better. There are a bunch of officials they know have little or no patience with them -- Nies, Steve Javie, Bill Kennedy, Marc Davis, just to name a few. They need to tread a little lighter when those guys are working games. It's a battle they will never win.

I saw something Thursday that I never thought I would see in my lifetime. The Palace did an in-game promotion for a concert at Joe Louis Arena. What's next, dogs and cats getting along? Peace in the Middle East? If you don't know, there has been no love lost between Palace Entertainment and the Ilitch operations downtown over the years. But there was Kid Rock and Reverand Run sitting along one baseline and Peter Wolf, the former J. Giles front man, sitting behind the Lakers bench. My buddy Pete Skorich put Wubba-Grubba Wolf on camera, gave him a microphone and let him both pump up the crowd, which he did, and shill for his show with Rock at JLA -- which he darn-sure did. It was a beautiful moment -- especially for this unabashed fan of Peter Wolf -- almost brought tears to these old eyes.

Last note -- now do you see why everybody was so excited about Rodney Stuckey? The kid can do things that no other Piston can do. He has the ability to fracture a defense off the dribble and he is extremely strong at the basket. He's going to go through more struggles, more growing pains, but he's going to be a special player. That said, it's a good thing Flip Saunders reconsidered and put Chauncey Billups back in to finish the game. Saunders said he contemplated letting Stuckey finish, leaving Mr. Big Shot on the bench. That would have been a disaster. Not so much that the Pistons couldn't have won the game with Stuckey closing, but you don't do that to the captain of your team, especially on a night when he was playing well. That would have gone over poorly with the other veterans. Saunders would have had a huge mess to clean up had he not went back to Billups.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#188 » by nasty daddy » Sat Feb 2, 2008 2:50 am

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 1274.shtml

The Pistons used a "32" zone on the final possession but they figured Bryant would find a way to field the inbounds pass. "I denied him but he really didn't work that hard to get it," Billups said. "He was probably waiting for (Odom) to throw it over the top. He was really surprised they didn't throw it to him."

"When we got the ball out of bounds with four seconds left, you saw that nobody wanted the ball because they hadn't had it in awhile," said Prince, who along with Richard Hamilton and Arron Afflalo took turns guarding Bryant. "You've got to have a rhythm."

Behind Bryant's big third quarter, the Lakers nearly took control. They led by six early in the fourth but the Pistons' rookie guards came to the rescue. Afflalo and Rodney Stuckey each had 10 points, with six of Stuckey's points coming in the fourth quarter. He looked so confident that Saunders nearly stuck with Stuckey. "I almost went with him the whole way," Saunders said. "But it's tough to not let your All-Star finish the game when he makes great decisions."

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#189 » by nasty daddy » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:35 am

Return to Detroit Pistons