ImageImageImage

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Yes, he's going to make a major change to the power structure of our organization in the summer of 2024.
73%
No, he's going to let it ride with Weaver/Tellum tandem and just keep "restoring" per usual.
27%

Total votes: 26

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,037

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#101 » by Snakebites » Sat May 11, 2024 6:52 am

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Not surprising. Horst was interested but the Bucks won’t let him go.

Connelly isn’t happening.

Honestly I’m kind of at a loss here. No idea who we’ll hire. Tough time to be a Piston fan.

That's the thing, be careful what you wish for.

Everyone wanted to get rid of Casey but we ended up with someone clearly worse and are now seemingly stuck with him. It's easy to bag on Troy's moves (he does deserve to be fired IMO), but I would argue he has still been significantly better than the previous couple of GM's with their truly horrendous drafting across the board and signing of guys like Jon Leuer, Charlie V, Josh Smith, etc. to back breaking contracts. The short-sighted desperation trades like the Blake deal.

Troy's biggest flaw is maybe a hesitation to commit to anything, but at least it doesn't cripple you for 5-6 years into the future like the previous few GM's have.

Posts like this really make it sound like we have more to lose than we actually do...

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that things can IN THEORY get worse. That's always true no matter what, just as it is in life. But we're at a low enough point now that any attempt at change of the guard is worth the risk.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#102 » by Invictus88 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:03 am

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Not surprising. Horst was interested but the Bucks won’t let him go.

Honestly I’m kind of at a loss here. No idea who we’ll hire. Tough time to be a Piston fan.

Everyone wanted to get rid of Casey but we ended up with someone clearly worse and are now seemingly stuck with him. It's easy to bag on Troy's moves (he does deserve to be fired IMO), but I would argue he has still been significantly better than the previous couple of GM's with their truly horrendous drafting across the board and signing of guys like Jon Leuer, Charlie V, Josh Smith, etc. to back breaking contracts. The short-sighted desperation trades like the Blake deal.

Troy's biggest flaw is maybe a hesitation to commit to anything, but at least it doesn't cripple you for 5-6 years into the future like the previous few GM's have.

Posts like this really make it sound like we have more to lose than we actually do...

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that things can IN THEORY get worse. That's always true no matter what, just as it is in life. But we're at a low enough point now that any attempt at change of the guard is worth the risk.

Agreed.

If the previous GMs in the last 2 decades did absolutely nothing except keep their picks to draft the aggregate best ranked player and then made very obvious / non-risky moves in free agency we'd be much better off as a franchise. That is to say: a person off the street who read "GM'ing For Dummies" and did just the bare minimum to keep the franchise functioning would have been a step up. (i.e. someone on this board).

This isn't a bar we should be measuring Weaver against to judge worthiness. Then again we can go 14-68 next year and still be an offseason away from respectability? playoff contention? something? according to some folk here. If the ownership feels that way we'll be stuck on the underside of the treadmill forever.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Post#103 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:24 am

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

It's not what we have to lose in terms of assets on the roster today. It's that we could still bring in a good GM today and hit the ground running from day 1. Yet we're ONE short-sighted trade of picks or whatever for the wrong max contract away from that potential to even rebuild getting pushed back by 4-5 years in one transaction.

Gordon/Charlie V/Josh Smith were that. Blake was exactly that. For Blake, we traded a lotto pick in what looks like an all-time great draft and young Tobias, who the Clippers got 2 1sts and 2 2nds for when they flipped him. And we ended up buying Blake out like 2 years later and eating his contract for years of this rebuild. This kind of move sets a franchise back 4-5 years compared to our position now, easily. And it's STILL a reason why we're as bad as we are now, because we had no assets of positive value left when the last regime was done.

Troy deserves to be fired, but if the only option is some other team's failure re-tread, I have little hope that it won't just get worse in the form of a return to short-sighted desperation moves. I would feel a lot better if we had someone targeted and immediately went out and got them. At this point it really feels we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Some of these names are scary.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#104 » by JNewton » Sat May 11, 2024 12:46 pm

I’d put money down on it being Scott Perry at this point.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#105 » by Canadafan » Sat May 11, 2024 1:24 pm

https://pistonpowered.com/posts/from-up-comer-champion-candidates-detroit-pistons

Some "candidates" by a random guy but I like the names
BDM22
RealGM

Post#106 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:25 pm

JNewton wrote:I’d put money down on it being Scott Perry at this point.

We're cooked
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,249

Post#107 » by thesack12 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:23 pm

I agree that things could certainly get worse, however I don't attribute that moving on from Troy Weaver.

Troy Weaver is a godawful GM. At best he's a meh drafter, he's terrible with asset management, has lost more trades than he's won, and he doesn't have a clue how to build up a team after tearing it down.

The potential for it to get worse is two fold.

1) The Gores factor. Gores is going to get antsy and start pressuring the front office to make "win now" moves. Weaver himself knows that his seat has heated up quite a bit. So whatever resistance Troy previously had to not make those "win now" moves is likely to deteriorate dramatically. Moving forward he's probably not going to ask Tom for more patience.

2) If the hire for this new POBO position doesn't really have any tipping point type of power, then its just another cook to add to an already crowded kitchen. Which is not generally a productive situation.

Our only hope as fans, is the POBO is a legit hire both in terms of being a qualified person and has proper positional authority/power. If its merely a figurehead as an avenue for Gores to say he's making "changes" then yes we are all doomed.

A new voice/vision/direction is the only path back to relevancy for this team. If we get that, then that new regime deserves the proper amount of patience moving forward. If the Weaver/Monty/Tellem trio remain within the current power structure, then strap in folks because the Pistons are just going to continue to spin their wheels.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#108 » by Snakebites » Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:That's the thing, be careful what you wish for.

It's not what we have to lose in terms of assets on the roster today. It's that we could still bring in a good GM today and hit the ground running from day 1. Yet we're ONE short-sighted trade of picks or whatever for the wrong max contract away from that potential to even rebuild getting pushed back by 4-5 years in one transaction.

Gordon/Charlie V/Josh Smith were that. Blake was exactly that. For Blake, we traded a lotto pick in what looks like an all-time great draft and young Tobias, who the Clippers got 2 1sts and 2 2nds for when they flipped him. And we ended up buying Blake out like 2 years later and eating his contract for years of this rebuild. This kind of move sets a franchise back 4-5 years compared to our position now, easily. And it's STILL a reason why we're as bad as we are now, because we had no assets of positive value left when the last regime was done.

Troy deserves to be fired, but if the only option is some other team's failure re-tread, I have little hope that it won't just get worse in the form of a return to short-sighted desperation moves. I would feel a lot better if we had someone targeted and immediately went out and got them. At this point it really feels we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Some of these names are scary.

I understand fully what you mean- it's about the long term implications of potential moves.

And yes, I STILL think it's worth the risk. We don't have as much to lose in terms of potential as you think.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#109 » by NYPiston » Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Do the hits ever stop coming? Conelly or bust now. Gores is gonna have to make a godfather offer to land him.

This has all the makings of a complete, and utter disaster, which would just kill the franchise at this point.

Why? Because they didn't land Horst? lol

I'm as down on the franchise right now as just about anybody but you're like next level my friend.

There are other candidates besides Horst and Connelly, there's a lot of NBA executives out there. I don't know who is the solution but I know the current group isn't the solution so I'd be fine with just anybody who has any level of competence.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#110 » by Snakebites » Sat May 11, 2024 4:35 pm

There better be a lot more going on that we don't know anything about.

So far all it looks like happened is we took multiple weeks to ask to interview one person and got rejected...

Just so unimpressed with this team. Like, I'm impressed by how unimpressed they've made me.

I don't even have specific hopes for a new POBO in terms of who I want. I just want a different leader for this team- my patience with Weaver as the primary decision maker has run dry.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#111 » by Invictus88 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:00 pm

thesack12 wrote:Gores is going to get antsy and start pressuring the front office to make "win at some point... ever" moves.

Fixed.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#112 » by Invictus88 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 pm

Snakebites wrote:There better be a lot more going on that we don't know anything about.

So far all it looks like happened is we took multiple weeks to ask to interview one person and got rejected...

Just so unimpressed with this team. Like, I'm impressed by how unimpressed they've made me.

I don't even have specific hopes for a new POBO in terms of who I want. I just want a different leader for this team- my patience with Weaver as the primary decision maker has run dry.

If Gores were at all serious about making big sweeping changes then it should have happened by now. The new regime should have been in place so it had time to properly plan for the combine and player pro days, etc. You know... kind of like other franchises who have turnover are doing.

The fact that we haven't heard anything guarantees that either the status quo is being maintained or there will be a later transition and the new regime will be underprepared for the upcoming draft.

I love being a Piston fan...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#113 » by Snakebites » Sat May 11, 2024 6:39 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:There better be a lot more going on that we don't know anything about.

If Gores were at all serious about making big sweeping changes then it should have happened by now. The new regime should have been in place so it had time to properly plan for the combine and player pro days, etc. You know... kind of like other franchises who have turnover are doing.

The fact that we haven't heard anything guarantees that either the status quo is being maintained or there will be a later transition and the new regime will be underprepared for the upcoming draft.

Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to announce the role has been given to Casey soon.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,749

Post#114 » by Cowology » Sat May 11, 2024 6:45 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to announce the role has been given to Casey soon.
If we're going to do something terrible, then let's bring Isiah in. Go big or go home.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#115 » by Snakebites » Sat May 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

If we're going to do something terrible, then let's bring Isiah in. Go big or go home.

:lol:

I more expect a move that tacitly retains our terrible status quo than one that takes things in an even worse direction. Either it'll be Casey or someone like Perry who has Pistons connections but won't really be able to initiate any real change.

Just so underwhelmed right now. We've been bad for so long and it's just not getting any better. Our last 15 years has to be one of the worst prolonged stretches in the history of North American sports.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#116 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:14 pm

Cowology wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Isiah sitting at home reading rumors about the Pistons looking to hire a different failed Knicks GM like

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#117 » by Canadafan » Sat May 11, 2024 7:16 pm

Alright alright let's all calm down :lol:
Kinda like when I spew out multiple trade ideas and fixate on a certain player(Ayton, Tyus) for months at a time, the negative nancies need to take a step back and just wait for them to announce Tayshaun Prince(or whoever)as our next Prez.
Way too much doom and gloom.
We have to be at rock bottom. Have to dammit! :)
Hire new Prez. Make Pistons Great Again.
We got the lottery tmrw to start our rise up to relevancy. Exciting times are about to be happening gentleman! Let's be excited and quit expecting the worst of every situation
BDM22
RealGM

Post#118 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:37 pm

Canadafan wrote:Alright alright let's all calm down :lol:
Kinda like when I spew out multiple trade ideas and fixate on a certain player(Ayton, Tyus) for months at a time, the negative nancies need to take a step back and just wait for them to announce Tayshaun Prince as our next Prez.
Way too much doom and gloom.
We have to be at rock bottom. Have to dammit! :)
Hire new Prez. Make Pistons Great Again.
We got the lottery tmrw to start our rise up to relevancy. Exciting times are about to be happening gentleman! Let's be excited and quit expecting the worst of every situation

I'm on the record as wanting no former Pistons legends please. We already have Dumars as the lone guy not showing up to reunions and events. It just makes it so much more messy when things go poorly. Harder to fire them when they're engulfed by this dumpster fire. More secondary consequences. Just hire a good executive.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#119 » by vege » Sat May 11, 2024 9:21 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:That's the thing, be careful what you wish for.

You're ignoring the fact that by doing nothing, and building a dysfunctional roster and a terrible situation, we're not doing our young players any favors. By the time their rookie contract is over, they can just walk.

If Cade decides to sign the QO and walk, like KCP and Monroe did. We wasted 5 years, he is not going to sign the QO but it's a real possibility that we give him the max, and 1 or 2 years later he demands a trade, and we get very little for him.

Do nothing is worse than do something bad imo, and that's exactly where we are. Nobody wants to sign with us, our young players did not develop (or developed bad habits like Duren for example) and we're going to do something. That's a scary place to be.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#120 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:29 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

You're ignoring the fact that by doing nothing, and building a dysfunctional roster and a terrible situation, we're not doing our young players any favors. By the time their rookie contract is over, they can just walk.

If Cade decides to sign the QO and walk, like KCP and Monroe did. We wasted 5 years, he is not going to sign the QO but it's a real possibility that we give him the max, and 1 or 2 years later he demands a trade, and we get very little for him.

Do nothing is worse than do something bad imo, and that's exactly where we are. Nobody wants to sign with us, our young players did not develop (or developed bad habits like Duren for example) and we're going to do something. That's a scary place to be.

Absolutely zero chance Cade passes on a max contract to not only play his 4th season with the risk of injury while not securing generational wealth, but also a QO season in year 5 with no contract secured. All while automatically losing ~$20M in earnings that he could never get back. So fear not there. Max guys don't risk the bag, they sign on the dotted line and request trades.

Side note: Pistons renounced KCP's rights when he was a RFA. He didn't sign the QO. Pistons could have still matched any offer but they decided they didn't want to and let him go. Only Monroe made that move, which is quite rare these days, and we still would be 2 years away from that possibility on guys like Ivey and Duren. 3 years away with Ausar.

Troy pulled the trigger pretty quickly on moving Bey when he found out Saddiq's team was looking for 20-25M per year. That's really the only situation to look out for. Players and agents that see their value at double market rate.

And I'm of course not saying to keep a "dysfunctional roster". I'm just saying the candidates we're seeing for this job come up combined with this feeling that Gores is going to want to go all-in (like he has with every GM before Weaver) feels like we're about to make a bad situation a lot worse somehow lol. Perhaps I just need to mentally prepare myself for the Zach Lavine to Detroit headline.

Return to Detroit Pistons