bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Re: Game 62 - Pistons vs. Nets - 7pm ET 

Post#121 » by bstein14 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 11:50 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Are you ok with it if he's Muslim and using his platform to try and convince people that believe in God to "wake up" and find belief in Muhammad and a need to go out and read and learn the Quran.

There are billions of people that believe in religions other than Christianity.

I’m Muslim. I’m fine with what Ivey said. I think there’s way worse things said on television than to follow Jesus. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. As a Muslim I believe in Jesus and how he will come back to defeat the antichrist. Most Christians don’t know Muslims believe in Jesus and how he will be back.

Anyway, nothing wrong with what he said. Clearly he’s got the effort and the energy (faith) to be “lucky” in life. Ivey likely gonna become better and better because of his faith.

Even though I have a different faith, I’m a big fan of someone who has faith in their religion because we severely lack that nowadays.

Truth is nobody wants to hear religion talk nowadays so he will grow into learning that.

This post made my day. I feel the same way and I gravitate towards communities and cultures that are more rooted in faith.

I myself am a Christian and have many Muslim and Jewish friends. I have lots of respect for all people that have faith based values.

As much as the consistent negativity from some posters is annoying, being offended for someone else is probably worse.

A large % of Americans, including many Christians, would not be ok with a popular athlete coming out and saying that people who haven't found Islam need to "wake up".... Like I said I have no problem with giving credit or thanks to God/Jesus but its the idea that people who don't have the same belief need to "wake up" that rubs me the wrong way with that. Or even an athlete who is atheist trying to use his platform to promote Atheism and telling people that have faith in a god that they need to "wake up" and stop believing that BS. Any way you slice it a pro athlete shouldn't be out there calling out people for having a different set of beliefs than they have.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#122 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:16 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Spider156 wrote:I’m Muslim. I’m fine with what Ivey said. I think there’s way worse things said on television than to follow Jesus. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. As a Muslim I believe in Jesus and how he will come back to defeat the antichrist. Most Christians don’t know Muslims believe in Jesus and how he will be back.

Anyway, nothing wrong with what he said. Clearly he’s got the effort and the energy (faith) to be “lucky” in life. Ivey likely gonna become better and better because of his faith.

Even though I have a different faith, I’m a big fan of someone who has faith in their religion because we severely lack that nowadays.

Truth is nobody wants to hear religion talk nowadays so he will grow into learning that.

This post made my day. I feel the same way and I gravitate towards communities and cultures that are more rooted in faith.

I myself am a Christian and have many Muslim and Jewish friends. I have lots of respect for all people that have faith based values.

As much as the consistent negativity from some posters is annoying, being offended for someone else is probably worse.

A large % of Americans, including many Christians, would not be ok with a popular athlete coming out and saying that people who haven't found Islam need to "wake up".... Like I said I have no problem with giving credit or thanks to God/Jesus but its the idea that people who don't have the same belief need to "wake up" that rubs me the wrong way with that. Or even an athlete who is atheist trying to use his platform to promote Atheism and telling people that have faith in a god that they need to "wake up" and stop believing that BS. Any way you slice it a pro athlete shouldn't be out there calling out people for having a different set of beliefs than they have.

When athletes or sports commentators have stances that I don’t agree with, I usually just ignore them. If their opinion is super obnoxious, I’ll cheer against them lol

I find Rick Kamala that hosts a show on NBA radio especially goofy because he turns every topic into a social justice issue so I generally avoid his show.

Did you have this same opinion with colin kaepernick?

His stance was particularly polarizing and I’m curious if you find this to be similar or different.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#123 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:26 am

GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

When athletes or sports commentators have stances that I don’t agree with, I usually just ignore them. If their opinion is super obnoxious, I’ll cheer against them lol

I find Rick Kamala that hosts a show on NBA radio especially goofy because he turns every topic into a social justice issue so I generally avoid his show.

His stance was particularly polarizing and I’m curious if you find this to be similar or different.

Kaepernick wasn't putting down other people for not agreeing with his view. His protest was fine with me I have no problem with it.

I'm fine with people having different beliefs and viewpoints. I don't think everyone that doesn't have my viewpoint needs to "wake up". I'm an Ivey fan and I don't mind at all if he gives thanks to God every interview. I just don't like him saying people who haven't found Jesus need to "wake up" because in doing that he's putting down people who don't have his belief essentially inferring that they need to become educated about Christianity.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#124 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:43 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Kaepernick wasn't putting down other people for not agreeing with his view. His protest was fine with me I have no problem with it.

I'm fine with people having different beliefs and viewpoints. I don't think everyone that doesn't have my viewpoint needs to "wake up". I'm an Ivey fan and I don't mind at all if he gives thanks to God every interview. I just don't like him saying people who haven't found Jesus need to "wake up" because in doing that he's putting down people who don't have his belief essentially inferring that they need to become educated about Christianity.

I don’t get that vibe about putting people down.

I’ve been pitched by other people on their religion and I just view them as a salesman with a ton of conviction in their product.

I guess we can just agree to disagree.

As far as the colin kaepernick angle, the question wasn’t about him putting people down.

Whether right or wrong, colin kaepernick offended more people than Ivey and I don’t think that’s debatable.

If you wouldn’t tell him to stop, why tell JI?
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#125 » by flow » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:50 am

Wtf does Kaepernick have to do with this? What are you talking about?

GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#126 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:59 am

flow wrote:Wtf does Kaepernick have to do with this? What are you talking about?

If the barometer for what athletes should or shouldn’t do or say is based on who they offend, I think it’s a fair comparison.

Does that make sense or should I explain it in a different way?

If JI and colin kaepernick both offend people, I’m just interested to understand the logic if someone has a strong opinion about one and not the other.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,376

Post#127 » by Spider156 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:08 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Spider156 wrote:I’m Muslim. I’m fine with what Ivey said. I think there’s way worse things said on television than to follow Jesus. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. As a Muslim I believe in Jesus and how he will come back to defeat the antichrist. Most Christians don’t know Muslims believe in Jesus and how he will be back.

Muhammad Ali got that backlash and look what he did for his people. He was all about it too and there was nothing anyone can do. They stripped his belt away, he kept his way until they apologized and gave it back. Muhammad Ali is the greatest.
Defense wins championships
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#128 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:12 am

On a lighter note, how about Cade bright shoes? :lol:

Read on Twitter
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#129 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:21 am

GreekAlex wrote:On a lighter note, how about Cade bright shoes? :lol:

Read on Twitter
Very nice.

Next year is big for these two. They play like this on a consistent basis, the Pistons are going to be really damn good, and tough to beat.

Both are 22. If they do become consistent, us fans have basically a decade of watching an amazing backcourt. Here's to hoping.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Post#130 » by BDM22 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 2:26 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

And that would just be because of a double-standard / built-in islamophobia because most Americans will not care about what Ivey said. I'm in the "yeah, that's a bit much, but who really cares" camp. Far worse things a player on the team could be wrapped up in off-the-court.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,241

Post#131 » by MrBigShot » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:42 am

Uh I thought it was pretty cringe to but it's not that big of a deal.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,746

Post#132 » by Cowology » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:28 am

I strongly believe in each individuals right to religion and have no real problem with athletes thanking or giving credit to God (or whomever). However, I do object to athletes using a post-game interview, which is considered official team business, to advocate for their cause. Wrong time & place. I still wouldn't have wanted to listen to it, but I'd have much less of an issue if he did this on a podcast or on his free time.

I 100% support Kaepernick, but I draw a clear distinction between human rights issues (which are universal) and personal religious choices. I'm all about social justice & equality. I'll even defend your right to religion, but I do NOT want it in my Pistons coverage. Hard stop.

I'll say it again, the fact Ivey used this platform to make that argument is deeply concerning to me, particularly because these types of events typically escalate. I know this is a relatively minor 1-off, but the best indicator of future-behavior is past-behavior. You want to know what somebody will do? Look at what they've already done. This is the beginning.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,439

Post#133 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:39 am

Cowology wrote:I strongly believe in each individuals right to religion and have no real problem with athletes thanking or giving credit to God (or whomever). However, I do object to athletes using a post-game interview, which is considered official team business, to advocate for their cause. Wrong time & place. I still wouldn't have wanted to listen to it, but I'd have much less of an issue if he did this on a podcast or on his free time.

I 100% support Kaepernick, but I draw a clear distinction between human rights issues (which are universal) and personal religious choices. I'm all about social justice & equality. I'll even defend your right to religion, but I do NOT want it in my Pistons coverage. Hard stop.

I'll say it again, the fact Ivey used this platform to make that argument is deeply concerning to me, particularly because these types of events typically escalate. I know this is a relatively minor 1-off, but the best indicator of future-behavior is past-behavior. You want to know what somebody will do? Look at what they've already done. This is the beginning.

Agree with this. I follow most of the Pistons players, including Ivey, on Twitter/X. You see the odd Christian/bible quote from Ivey which is completely fine, it's his social media and his forum to do that. But if you're an employee of an organization and doing a press conference on behalf of said organization, it's not the time nor place. He's a young guy and obviously has strong faith so you let it slide if it's a one-off, but if it's an ongoing feature then it does need to be called out and addressed.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#134 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:36 pm

Ivey and Cade both with nice stat games. It's good to see, but I can't help but think Ivey is on the cusp of a turnover almost every time he makes a move with the ball. He either looks out of control, lacking handles, or both. Sorry had to say it...
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#135 » by DetroitSho » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:40 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Spider156 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Are you ok with it if he's Muslim and using his platform to try and convince people that believe in God to "wake up" and find belief in Muhammad and a need to go out and read and learn the Quran.

There are billions of people that believe in religions other than Christianity.

I’m Muslim. I’m fine with what Ivey said. I think there’s way worse things said on television than to follow Jesus. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. As a Muslim I believe in Jesus and how he will come back to defeat the antichrist. Most Christians don’t know Muslims believe in Jesus and how he will be back.

Great posts Greek and Spider. You choose what you are offended by. Choose more wisely if you're always offended.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
TPA
Senior
And1: 472

Post#136 » by TPA » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:51 pm

I'm kind of surprised that there is any controversy. As a non-religious person, I didn't take Jaden's comments any sort of way. He has an opinion, but he doesn't speak for me.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#137 » by Canadafan » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:33 pm

BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

And that would just be because of a double-standard / built-in islamophobia because most Americans will not care about what Ivey said. I'm in the "yeah, that's a bit much, but who really cares" camp. Far worse things a player on the team could be wrapped up in off-the-court.

I'm in the "yeah, that's a bit much, but who really cares" camp as well.
Never knew he was that religious.
Either way doesn't make much difference to me as long as he kicks ass on the court :nod:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#138 » by MotownMadness » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:04 pm

What is going on in here lol
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#139 » by DetroitSho » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:30 pm

MotownMadness wrote:What is going on in here lol
People found their next thing to be mad at for no reason, that's all.

GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#140 » by GreekAlex » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:37 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:What is going on in here lol
People found their next thing to be mad at for no reason, that's all.

For some reason, regardless of the view, religion bothers some people in a different way.

Some “bothered posters” have said that it’s only because he was being “preachy” on basketball time but I don’t really believe that.

If Ivey had gone into a short monologue and preached about how government backed dollars were going down and everyone needed to load up on Bitcoin or else, I doubt anyone would be frantic or outraged.

I think people would have found that “1 off” occurrence amusing or been able to quickly dismiss it rather than run to a message board to vent.

Return to Detroit Pistons