BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Re: NBA Playoffs 

Post#141 » by BDM22 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:56 pm

vege wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Instead of taking the Knicks trash so they could sign Brunson, we should have backed up the brinks truck for him and gave him a max deal. We'd be in an entirely different situation right now.

I remember us being rumored to want him but he obviously wanted Knicks with his dad's presence beinga factor as well

It's just not Brunson. The Knicks added DDV and Hartenstein via Free agency.

They traded for Hart. They traded for OG (traded the promising guys they drafted in order to acquire him fwiw).

They developed Mitchell, they developed McBride and they make bad players like Achiuwa work because they have a system, and the players fit that system and the modern NBA.

They have a team that fit what their coach want to do and his playing style. They're not the most talented team out there, but they play hard, they win every 50/50 ball, they play great defense (because they have elite defenders), they have a lot of wingers, and their players are high bbiq players that can defend and hit 3's.

We had cap space to sign free agents every year since Weaver took over.

Isaiah Hartenstein signed a 2 year , $16,000,000 contract with the New York Knicks, including $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,000,000.

Donte DiVincenzo signed a 4 year , $46,870,000 contract with the New York Knicks, including $46,870,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,717,500.

Those 2 guys are elite starters in likely a conference final's team and the #2 seed.

The Knicks are in a big market and players want to be there, but they did not sign any marquee free agent. Brunson was the biggest name they signed in free agency to build this team, and he was not a star, he was a 3rd banana in a meh team.

Hart is 28
Brunson and DDV are 27
OG is 26
Robinson and Hartenstein are 25
McBride is 23

Bojan is likely going to be trade fodder next season, for them to add another piece with all the picks they have, including OUR PICK.

Randle is 29 and he is unnecessary. If they upgrade Randle they will be a title contender for the foresseable future.

Not long ago people were comparing the Knicks future with Detroit's future. The Knicks FO did their job, our FO didn't.

The Knicks are everything we are not, because their front office know how to build a roster, and our front office doesn't. Weaver have been sitting on his hands, doing stupid stuff and collecting pay checks for 4 years, meanwhile the rest of the league have been working.

And in the end their coach is gonna blow it by running these dudes into the ground. OG was hurt for a big chunk of the end of the season and Thibs had him out there 47 minutes, 50 minutes, 45 minutes, 42 minutes in the games leading up to this game where he messed up his hamstring. Brunson playing crazy minutes too and gets hurt. Josh Hart basically playing every minute of every game lol. This man can't learn his lesson from D Rose.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#142 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 9, 2024 3:01 pm

Brunson is a culture setter like Butler is for the Heat
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#143 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu May 9, 2024 4:30 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Brunson is a culture setter like Butler is for the Heat

And Isaiah Stewart is for us.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#144 » by vege » Thu May 9, 2024 5:27 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#145 » by Billl » Thu May 9, 2024 6:00 pm

Yeah, I like stew and all. He plays hard and won't back down from anyone. Unfortunately, he's not in a position here to "set culture". Your best players need to set the tone, not your role players.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#146 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu May 9, 2024 6:05 pm

Billl wrote:Yeah, I like stew and all. He plays hard and won't back down from anyone. Unfortunately, he's not in a position here to "set culture". Your best players need to set the tone, not your role players.

"Coach will tell you his competitive spirit really is the heartbeat of the team," Weaver said in April. "And him being out, you can watch the game and we competed a lot of nights, but just his competitive spirit drives the group. He’s a guy that you want on your team. He’s a foxhole guy. But his competitive spirit is really what drives us.”

Our leader talking about our other leader :lol: :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#147 » by Snakebites » Thu May 9, 2024 7:50 pm

Stew is a guy I’d like to see traded.

I want most of our guys gone to be honest.

If a new GM came in and went totally scorched earth on everything I’d be okay with that. I personally think Cade should stay but I’d be okay if they decided to move him. I’m just kind of tired of this team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#148 » by theBigLip » Thu May 9, 2024 10:14 pm

This is the NBA Playoffs thread….
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#149 » by theBigLip » Thu May 9, 2024 10:22 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

Agreed even if others don’t. From every story I’ve ever read on Stewart, he is the most fired up guy and pushing everyone. He doesn’t take plays off and doesn’t back down from anyone. He’s on a reasonable contract. He’s a keeper for me.

I still think it’s ridiculous to think we should blow it up and wade through all the crap we just did the last 4 years. We are certainly in need of some more talent but we got some pieces, most on very inexpensive rookie deals. Cade is an AllStar maybe even next year. Ausar is an amazing defender. Fontecchio isn’t spectacular but solid. Same w Stewart. Maybe the latter two are rotation players but teams need that too.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#150 » by Invictus88 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:50 pm

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

Agreed even if others don’t. From every story I’ve ever read on Stewart, he is the most fired up guy and pushing everyone. He doesn’t take plays off and doesn’t back down from anyone. He’s on a reasonable contract. He’s a keeper for me.

I still think it’s ridiculous to think we should blow it up and wade through all the crap we just did the last 4 years. We are certainly in need of some more talent but we got some pieces, most on very inexpensive rookie deals. Cade is an AllStar maybe even next year. Ausar is an amazing defender. Fontecchio isn’t spectacular but solid. Same w Stewart. Maybe the latter two are rotation players but teams need that too.

Stewart "defined the culture" or "is the heart and soul" or is "pushing everyone" for a team that resulted in a 14-68 record. It. Is. Not. Working.

We don’t need to be spending 15 million a year on a rotation player when we have gaping holes in our starting lineup. I don't think any team in their right mind would look at Stewart and say: "yep. That is where we should spend that much money". If I'm wrong then we should trade him there immediately; because we definitely shouldn't be. We aren't good. We don't have that luxury.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#151 » by theBigLip » Fri May 10, 2024 12:42 am

Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

Stewart "defined the culture" or "is the heart and soul" or is "pushing everyone" for a team that resulted in a 14-68 record. It. Is. Not. Working..

14 wins is factual but disingenuous. Regardless, Stewart isn’t our problem. Our problem is we’ve been doing it on the cheap. We haven’t had this much cap space, ever?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#152 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:57 am

Cade and Stew are probably the only two players on our roster who showed real improvement this year. Stew is one of the very few players on our roster (maybe the only) who has additive skills on both sides of the ball (I know he's an incomplete player offensively, but his outside shot was legit last year). Stew's #3 on my list of young guys I'd keep after Cade and Ausar.

On the Knicks, not sure what they're going to "blow." They're overachieving for their talent level already and seem poised to continue to. And a big part of it is that they do it their way.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 448

Post#153 » by Sort » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 am

Stew's a backup five. It's not his fault he's not in the role best suited for him. I'd want him on a Pistons rebuild, but then again, there's not a single player that justifies not considering trade value.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#154 » by theBigLip » Fri May 10, 2024 1:09 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Cade and Stew are probably the only two players on our roster who showed real improvement this year. Stew is one of the very few players on our roster (maybe the only) who has additive skills on both sides of the ball (I know he's an incomplete player offensively, but his outside shot was legit last year). Stew's #3 on my list of young guys I'd keep after Cade and Ausar.

I’m thinking Duren improved as well. Not the “rim protector” everyone wants, but he is much more skilled offensively and a solid rebounder. Those aren’t bad traits to have. He’s 20. Hopefully he improves as much defensively next year.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#155 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 am

theBigLip wrote:I still think it’s ridiculous to think we should blow it up and wade through all the crap we just did the last 4 years. We are certainly in need of some more talent but we got some pieces, most on very inexpensive rookie deals. Cade is an AllStar maybe even next year. Ausar is an amazing defender. Fontecchio isn’t spectacular but solid. Same w Stewart. Maybe the latter two are rotation players but teams need that too.

Someday, these awesome players could lead us to thirty wins!

(Seriously, blow it up. We are the worst.) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#156 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 10, 2024 2:30 am

PJ Washington is draining 3s
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#157 » by Invictus88 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:01 am

theBigLip wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Stewart "defined the culture" or "is the heart and soul" or is "pushing everyone" for a team that resulted in a 14-68 record. It. Is. Not. Working..

14 wins is factual but disingenuous. Regardless, Stewart isn’t our problem. Our problem is we’ve been doing it on the cheap. We haven’t had this much cap space, ever?

How is 14 wins factual but disingenuous? We just had the worst Piston season ever. We just lost the most games in a row ever.

You keep saying "we have some pieces". You seem fine with the current coach and GM. If we have the proper guys running the team and "we have some pieces" then why were we historically bad? Shouldn't a proper locker room motivator / leader be able to take the apparent talent that we have and achieve results that aren't a complete and utter embarrassment?

This utter ridiculousness of this conversation is astounding. If nothing changes next year and we somehow get 10 wins and lose at the lottery afterwards I fully expect you to tell us that "we are almost there and just wait until we fix things in the offseason".

Give me a break.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#158 » by theBigLip » Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 am

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I still think it’s ridiculous to think we should blow it up and wade through all the crap we just did the last 4 years. We are certainly in need of some more talent but we got some pieces, most on very inexpensive rookie deals. Cade is an AllStar maybe even next year. Ausar is an amazing defender. Fontecchio isn’t spectacular but solid. Same w Stewart. Maybe the latter two are rotation players but teams need that too.

Someday, these awesome players could lead us to thirty wins!

(Seriously, blow it up. We are the worst.) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Washington is worse than us. Regardless, I’m clearly in the “ Let’s see what we can add w $70M” camp.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#159 » by theBigLip » Fri May 10, 2024 3:31 am

Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

How is 14 wins factual but disingenuous? We just had the worst Piston season ever. We just lost the most games in a row ever.

You keep saying "we have some pieces". You seem fine with the current coach and GM. If we have the proper guys running the team and "we have some pieces" then why were we historically bad? Shouldn't a proper locker room motivator / leader be able to take the apparent talent that we have and achieve results that aren't a complete and utter embarrassment?

This utter ridiculousness of this conversation is astounding. If nothing changes next year and we somehow get 10 wins and lose at the lottery afterwards I fully expect you to tell us that "we are almost there and just wait until we fix things in the offseason".

Give me a break.

Disengenuous such that we could have kept some guys playing later in the season. But keep freaking on 14.

You think I am unrealistic. We’re all entitled to our opinions. But my opinion is that a rebuild is unrealistic.

What does that even look like? Everyone seems to think fire Gores, Weaver and Monty, trade the entire team and get Lauri, Booker and Mikal, and we are in the playoffs. Good luck with that.

Regardless of who ends up making the decisions, what player moves would you do if you’re HOBO?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#160 » by Snakebites » Fri May 10, 2024 3:39 am

If you wanna be optimistic fine.

But using "we won 14 games" as evidence that things are in fact pretty darn bad isn't disingenuous. That's the number of wins we got.

The fact that we didn't play guys towards the end because the season was over and we played our way into irrelevance faster than anybody else did isn't going to be all that persuasive to anyone. Because the fact that we lost any chance of playing meaningful games so quickly is, in and of itself, evidence of how far we have to go.

Return to Detroit Pistons