ImageImageImage

I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Re: I hate it, but Weaver absolutely has to be fired. 

Post#21 » by NYPiston » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:23 pm

Why would you "hate it"? It's his 4th year and they're 2-19. He sucks.

With that said, I don't seem them firing him this season although I could see Gores starting to get impatient and bringing in somebody that'll go all in for LaVine or somebody like that.

I think Gores is the root of the problem for whatever reason. Doesn't hire the right people around him or is getting constant bad advice from somebody and it must be a toxic work environment behind the scenes because ever since The Great Bill Davidson passed and this guy took over, the Pistons have been the worst franchise in sports and not by an insignificant margin.

I'll also say is that Monty complete scammed Gores and fed on his desperation. Weaver wanted to go in another direction (which might have been the right move in retrospect) and Gores basically got on his hands and knees to beg Monty to come here. Monty didn't even want to be here but who is going to turn down THAT much money? Monty just wanted to cash in, I don't think he gives two craps about this team, this city, these players. Sorry to be harsh but I never felt a good vibe from him from his very first presser onwards, he just seemed so uninspiring.
Of course it's not all his fault, it's a roster issue first and foremost, but I'd prefer to have somebody here who is hungry and really wants to be here, not a guy who basically had to be coaxed out of temporary retirement kicking and screaming.
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#22 » by Patrick27 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:32 pm

NYPiston wrote:Why would you "hate it"? It's his 4th year and they're 2-19. He sucks.

With that said, I don't seem them firing him this season although I could see Gores starting to get impatient and bringing in somebody that'll go all in for LaVine or somebody like that.

I think Gores is the root of the problem for whatever reason. Doesn't hire the right people around him and it must be a toxic work environment behind the scenes because ever since The Great Bill Davidson passed and this guy took over, the Pistons have been the worst franchise in sports and not by an insignificant margin.

Getting Lavine just to win ~20 games is the worst possible outcome of this season. Whether you win 10, 15, or 20 games, you're still not playing meaningful games in April.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Post#23 » by bstein14 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:54 pm

Weaver should have kept a guy like Bruce Brown when all the rookies came in for 2020. Came in, worked hard, leads by example, etc. You see the jump the Pacers made this year. Just clearing out everyone for the sake of clearing out everyone was stupid.

When we already had our own young draft picks to worry about building up, going out and getting the Josh Jackson, Wiseman, Bagley type players was a mistake. He should have gotten more proven vets that know how to win to fill out the rotation to help teach winning habbits and work ethic, etc.

He should have made a few moves to reset the roster with Monty coming back and he didn't use our cap space in a way that gave Monty the pieces he needed to help shift that culture.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#24 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:58 pm

bstein14 wrote:Weaver should have kept a guy like Bruce Brown when all the rookies came in for 2020. Came in, worked hard, leads by example, etc. You see the jump the Pacers made this year. Just clearing out everyone for the sake of clearing out everyone was stupid.

When we already had our own young draft picks to worry about building up, going out and getting the Josh Smith, Wiseman, Bagley type players was a mistake. He should have gotten more proven vets that know how to win to fill out the rotation to help teach winning habbits and work ethic, etc.

He should have made a few moves to reset the roster with Monty coming back and he didn't use our cap space in a way that gave Monty the pieces he needed to help shift that culture.

Weaver’s been bad.

His only good move was the Duren trade.

Cade and Ivey were basically no-brainers…luckily for Weaver.

Next good move could be Bojan, but that will depend on what we trade him for this season. If something worthwhile, then getting him will be his 2nd good move cuz it will have paid dividends.

If we trade him for a bag of chips, or do t trade him at all, adding Bogey would prove to be a useless move.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,040

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:12 pm

How often do GMs get fired midseason?

Thats generally an offseason thing, right?

Either way it’s really hard to sustain any kind of case that it’s not deserved. I’ve said it before- there were excuses for being bad during his other years:

Years 1/2: Inherited a terrible roster with limited trade assets and lots of dead money from Blake- who was still on the roster.

Year 3: Cade went down with an injury in what many hoped would be a breakout sophomore year

But now? This is year 4. This is the time when the patience was supposed to pay off and we were supposed to see real progress. And the team is WORSE than we were last year. And we’re getting worked by fellow dregs teams at home.

Unacceptable.

Fire him.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Post#26 » by Cowology » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:16 pm

Snakebites wrote:How often do GMs get fired midseason?

Either way it’s really hard to sustain any kind of case that it’s not deserved. I’ve said it before- there were excuses for being bad during his other years:

Years 1/2: Inherited a terrible roster with limited trade assets and lots of dead money from Blake- who was still on the roster.

Year 3: Cade went down with an injury in what many hoped would be a breakout sophomore year

But now? This is year 4. This is the time when the patience was supposed to pay off and we were supposed to see real progress. And the team is WORSE than we were last year. And we’re getting worked by fellow dregs teams at home.

Unacceptable.

Fire him.
I think I'm just sorta numb to everything. I really don't have strong feelings about Weaver one way or the other. But that could just be the depression talking. :blank:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,040

Post#27 » by Snakebites » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:21 pm

Cowology wrote:

Unacceptable.

Fire him.
I think I'm just sorta numb to everything. I really don't have strong feelings about Weaver one way or the other. But that could just be the depression talking. :blank:

I go in and out. I’m pretty numb whenever I turn on a game but am still upset about the state of the team.

The league has changed so much in the last 15 years or so- the way to win games has changed, the way teams look has changed. I know not everyone likes the new NBA (and I get some of the criticisms) but we as a fanbase have never seen our team play modern NBA basketball. There’s a whole era of NBA history the Pistons have been practically absent for.

And that makes me sad.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,462

Post#28 » by Billl » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:27 pm

Weaver did fine with the tear down. He got rid off all the contracts without giving up any assets. He's done fine drafting. Some hits and some misses, but overall draft strategy has been fine.

The problem has all been in trades and free agency. If you are going to go BPA every draft, you've got to add pieces that compliment those guys. You can't draft all guards and centers and then add a bunch more guards and centers. You can't just punt your cap space every summer and only get 2nd round picks back. These years where the young guys are on rookie contracts are your chance to add other pieces with cap space and trades.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,538

Post#29 » by whitehops » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:01 pm

it's one of the reasons i was pushing back when people were saying he was one of the best GMs in the league. he did a pretty good job with the teardown, but that's the easy part. it's easy to be bad, not easy to be good. how you start building the team back up is the hard part and i guess he assumes all his draft evaluations are brilliant and that they'll all develop to his vision of their potential.

safe to say that sam presti was the brains of the operation in OKC and weaver rode his coattails.
Absolutia
Junior
And1: 152

Post#30 » by Absolutia » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:15 pm

Unacceptable.

Fire him.
It's clearly our new coach that's the problem.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#31 » by NYPiston » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:18 pm

Patrick27 wrote:
Getting Lavine just to win ~20 games is the worst possible outcome of this season. Whether you win 10, 15, or 20 games, you're still not playing meaningful games in April.

Oh, I'm vehemently against the idea but it's something I can see Gores advocating for as this thing spirals further out of control.
Gores is not a patient man by nature and, quite frankly, I'm a bit surprised that he's been so tolerant of the rebuild so far but I don't think he made Monty the highest paid coach in the league and scoffed at Weaver's idea of an inexperienced coach because he expected 2-19. The man will want to see short term results at some point and that could be sooner than we think.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#32 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:38 pm

Absolutia wrote:

Unacceptable.

Fire him.
It's clearly our new coach that's the problem.

Fire them both. I still question whether Monty wants to be here - or even be coaching anywhere at all.

Only reason he’s here is for the massive overpay, and even that seems to not really be pleasing him already.

Weaver’s biggest failure is the annual punting of cap space while also not accumulating future 1st rounders.

Presti would have netted us 3-5 additional 1st rounders over the last 3 years. Weaver got us what, 1-2 additional 2nd rounders?!?

That, and we’re not putting pieces around our young core. We’re just floating in cr@p.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

Post#33 » by SuperBad » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:25 pm

Weaver has not been the best, but I think the idea was not only to be competitive again, but to be asset rich, so that not being a free agent destination is not an issue, full of rising talent that you trade for more talent and more picks, while also continuing to win and move, this would be a good idea for a city and franchise like Detroit, that takes a long while I think. I wanted this draft built rebuild for years myself, so I’m not one to quit, but this is ugly. There’s talent, a good amount, but it’s all young, and it just doesn’t fit together. I think Monty Williams is not great, never really did, what kinda coach let’s his team lose like that in the conference finals two years in a row on there home court in game 7. I think Chris Paul resurrected Phoenix more than Monty. But the idea to go all in on a coach rather than a bad free agent I liked too, but I didn’t like Monty, would rather have Jarret Jack at this point. I think we’re gonna have half of these guys on the roster soon, a half a team blow up is coming, it should be, this is how we move on from Stewart.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#34 » by flow » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:06 pm

Billl wrote:Weaver did fine with the tear down. He got rid off all the contracts without giving up any assets. He's done fine drafting. Some hits and some misses, but overall draft strategy has been fine.

The problem has all been in trades and free agency. If you are going to go BPA every draft, you've got to add pieces that compliment those guys. You can't draft all guards and centers and then add a bunch more guards and centers. You can't just punt your cap space every summer and only get 2nd round picks back. These years where the young guys are on rookie contracts are your chance to add other pieces with cap space and trades.

I'm sorry, but taking Hayes over Haliburton isn't just a miss. It's an all-time blunder in the making. Missing on a pick is one thing, but you better be damn sure that the guy you passed on -- at the same position -- isn't a hall-of-famer in waiting.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Post#35 » by bstein14 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:08 pm

flow wrote:
Billl wrote:Weaver did fine with the tear down. He got rid off all the contracts without giving up any assets. He's done fine drafting. Some hits and some misses, but overall draft strategy has been fine.

I'm sorry, but taking Hayes over Haliburton isn't just a miss. It's an all-time blunder in the making. Missing on a pick is one thing, but you better be damn sure that the guy you pass on -- at the same position -- isn't a hall-of-famer in waiting.

Hayes over Haliburton is worse than Stanley/Luke over Booker/Mitchell. Haliburton is looking like he'll be a top 10 player in this league for the next decade. Super efficient and runs the show like a vet.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Billl » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:19 pm

flow wrote:

I'm sorry, but taking Hayes over Haliburton isn't just a miss. It's an all-time blunder in the making. Missing on a pick is one thing, but you better be damn sure that the guy you passed on -- at the same position -- isn't a hall-of-famer in waiting.

Nah, that's just monday morning quarterbacking. If ANYONE thought haliburton was going to be this good, he wouldn't have been there at 7 for us to pick from.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#37 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:23 pm

Nah. I was 100% for taking Haliburton that year over Hayes.

Although many liked Hayes, I know I wasn’t the only one screaming for us to take Haliburton instead.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by Billl » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:35 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Nah. I was 100% for taking Haliburton that year over Hayes.

Although many liked Hayes, I know I wasn’t the only one screaming for us to take Haliburton instead.

Sure. Half the board wanted him over hayes. But you can say that about any player at any point in the draft. There is almost always a much better guy picked after him. Halliburton went 12th that year, so if that's why weaver deserves to be fired, then so do a lot of other GM's.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#39 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:46 pm

Its essential to fire Weaver ASAP. GMs start making desperation moves on the hot seat. We dont want another SVG trade for a washed Blake prayer F your franchise on the way out moves.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#40 » by flow » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:49 pm

Billl wrote:
flow wrote:

Nah, that's just monday morning quarterbacking. If ANYONE thought haliburton was going to be this good, he wouldn't have been there at 7 for us to pick from.

Of course it's Monday morning quarterbacking. For us. But it was Weaver's job to know that Haliburton is better that Hayes. Not a little better. Waaaay better. That's literally the reason he was hired. For millions of dollars. To scout them up and make the right decisions.

And I don't care what other teams did. We're the team that targeted a point guard. And we took a fringe point guard over a hall of fame point guard.

Return to Detroit Pistons