Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: Miles Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#21 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:33 am

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:…but if someone else trade for him, that team will extend him, and we will lose the opportunity to sign him in the offseason, just like what happened to Siakam and OG.

I don’t think a team without cap space can extend him. For some reason, with his contract, if he’s traded, the new team does NOT get his Bird rights, so unless they have cap space, they can’t resign him.

This actually puts the Pistons in a strong position.

No, he wouldn't be immediately extended, that's not legal.

But do you have any doubt OG and Siakam alread have a deal discussed in place? Day 1 of FA they will be signed.

The same will happen if Bridges is traded, he is going to have a deal under the table, either with us or with whoever trade for him.
He's literally talking about (the inability of) using Bird rights to extend him IN THE SUMMER. Goodness freaking grief.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#22 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:36 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:My hope is that all of the posters that get “triggered” every time Miles Bridges name is mentioned and meltdown in each thread actually stop cheering for the team like they keep saying they will.

My guess is they’ll just stick around and keep complaining about him but that is my hope.

Yeah, I just don't like people who are okay doing what he did to women.

Guilty as charged. You sure got me.
At this point you're purposely being disingenuous. For the record and just so it's clear, I DON'T WANT BRIDGES AND DIDN'T EVEN WANT HIM BEFORE THIS SITUATION.

With that said, there's not one single poster who's in support of adding him that made a statement of them being ok with what he did. Enough with the passive aggressive bs.

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:37 am

Stepping away from the moral side of things- the reporting on this is strange.

The Suns and Jazz are both bizarre inclusions on the list of guys who are interested in him. Phoenix has little to no draft capital to pursue him with (we don't have much either unless it's far off), and have no cap space to resign him. Miles puts himself in a financially bad position by accepting a trade to this team.

And the Jazz? Even assuming they drop Collins like a hot potato they seem pretty set at the 4. Just doesn't seem to make much sense.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:39 am

DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:My hope is that all of the posters that get “triggered” every time Miles Bridges name is mentioned and meltdown in each thread actually stop cheering for the team like they keep saying they will.

My guess is they’ll just stick around and keep complaining about him but that is my hope.

Yeah, I just don't like people who are okay doing what he did to women.

At this point you're purposely being disingenuous. For the record and just so it's clear, I DON'T WANT BRIDGES AND DIDN'T EVEN WANT HIM BEFORE THIS SITUATION.

With that said, there's not one single poster who's in support of adding him that made a statement of them being ok with what he did. Enough with the passive aggressive bs.

I'm very confused. I wasn't responding to you. I know you don't want him.

With that said, my original version of this post was very poorly worded. I've since edited that first part to make more clear what I was saying. I wasn't saying that I thought posters were okay with what he did. I meant to say that MILES is okay with what he did, but I articulated that very poorly- your interpretation of my original words was a totally fair one.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#25 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:41 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Yeah, I just don't like people who are okay doing what he did to women.

With that said, my original version of this post was very poorly worded. I've since edited that first part to make more clear what I was saying. I wasn't saying that I thought posters were okay with what he did. I meant to say that MILES is okay with what he did, but I articulated that very poorly- your interpretation of my original words was a totally fair one.
I only bolded that part so it would be clear anything that even appeared like defense of him had nothing to do with me wanting him. And if you edited it, then I digress.

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#26 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:45 am

DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:At this point you're purposely being disingenuous. For the record and just so it's clear, I DON'T WANT BRIDGES AND DIDN'T EVEN WANT HIM BEFORE THIS SITUATION.

I only bolded that part so it would be clear anything that even appeared like defense of him had nothing to do with me wanting him. And if you edited it, then I digress.

Yeah. With that said, my original response to GreekAlex was terribly written, and I'll own that.

I haven't personally seen anyone outright defending what he has done, at least not here on the Realgm Pistons board. The closest I've seen (and not from you) is people attacking the character of his accuser and saying things like "there are two sides to everything". But I've only seen that from one poster on these boards and don't think it represents what most people on these boards who are open to acquiring him think.

There's a valid discussion to be had about forgiveness, and what we as a fanbase should be willing to tolerate in terms of immoral behavior from the members of the organization we support. Unfortunately, supporting just about every large corporation or organization requires some level of moral compromise in today's world, and it's fair to discuss where that line should be.

I happen to believe that what Miles did falls on the other side of that line, and I take exception to people implying that my concern about these issues is simply being "triggered" as Greek Alex suggested.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#27 » by vege » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:47 am

DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
I don’t think a team without cap space can extend him. For some reason, with his contract, if he’s traded, the new team does NOT get his Bird rights, so unless they have cap space, they can’t resign him.

But do you have any doubt OG and Siakam alread have a deal discussed in place? Day 1 of FA they will be signed.

The same will happen if Bridges is traded, he is going to have a deal under the table, either with us or with whoever trade for him.
He's literally talking about (the inability of) using Bird rights to extend him IN THE SUMMER. Goodness freaking grief.

Yeah and I am saying whoever trade for him will bring him back. Utah is either interested or being used as leverage, and they have cap space. There are other teams with cap space or that could get cap space that could trade for him.

If we trade for him, we will have an agreement to extend him.

If Utah does, they will have an agreement.

If he stays in Charlotte they will extend him.

So our ability to outbid temas without cap space is irrelevant imo.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#28 » by GreekAlex » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:08 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Yeah. With that said, my original response to GreekAlex was terribly written, and I'll own that.

I haven't personally seen anyone outright defending what he has done, at least not here on the Realgm Pistons board. The closest I've seen (and not from you) is people attacking the character of his accuser and saying things like "there are two sides to everything". But I've only seen that from one poster on these boards and don't think it represents what most people on these boards who are open to acquiring him think.

There's a valid discussion to be had about forgiveness, and what we as a fanbase should be willing to tolerate in terms of immoral behavior from the members of the organization we support. Unfortunately, supporting just about every large corporation or organization requires some level of moral compromise in today's world, and it's fair to discuss where that line should be.

I happen to believe that what Miles did falls on the other side of that line, and I take exception to people implying that my concern about these issues is simply being "triggered" as Greek Alex suggested.

Let me share a few of my own thoughts so my point is better expressed.

1. I’m definitely cool with everyone having an opinion and voicing it. I get annoyed by the posters that get hysterical and post: "Piece of human scum" and similar emotional jabs every time his name is mentioned and threaten to stop supporting the team.

2. I was on record in one of the threads questioning having Bidges around our young team based on his immaturity, drinking RX cough syrup in music videos.

3. I’d only be interested in trying him out at this point because of our lack of talent if we have no better options and the acquisition/ contract is movable with tons of language in the contract to protect the team if he does any conduct detrimental to the organization.

4. There are a lot of different levels of "outrage" and people act like this is "Rae Carruth" bad and it simply isn't. Not only did no one die, but the victim was popping bottles in a nightclub within days of the incident. That's her right but it illustrates the degree of severity.

5. I remember how different I was in my early 20's and I believe most people deserve second chances.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#29 » by theBigLip » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:11 am

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:

Yeah and I am saying whoever trade for him will bring him back. Utah is either interested or being used as leverage, and they have cap space. There are other teams with cap space or that could get cap space that could trade for him.

Sorry, but that’s not accurate. From the article on RealGM:

Bridges has a no-trade clause for this season, because he will lose his Bird Rights if he's traded. This is because Bridges is on a one-year deal with Bird Rights following this season. Because he'll be looking for a bigger contract than his Non-Bird Rights would allow for, Bridges would be considered a rest-of-season rental by Phoenix.

So we have more ability to trade and sign him versus the Suns or any other team over the cap. THEY CAN’T EXTEND HIM. Therefore, Bridges isn’t waiving his no-trade clause for Phoenix. He wants his future team to have his Bird rights (Charlotte) or some team with cap space (Detroit and a few others). We certainly have an advantage.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#30 » by theBigLip » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:18 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:I only bolded that part so it would be clear anything that even appeared like defense of him had nothing to do with me wanting him. And if you edited it, then I digress.

5. I remember how different I was in my early 20's and I believe most people deserve second chances.

Ain’t that the truth.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#31 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:21 am

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:…but if someone else trade for him, that team will extend him, and we will lose the opportunity to sign him in the offseason, just like what happened to Siakam and OG.

It's very likely, IMO, that Bridges is looking at a full 3 year MLE deal for a few years as his current rate, which means any team can sign him to that deal without bird rights. I doubt many teams are looking at him at the 4 years $100 million rate given his history.

No extension needs to be in place, and I'm sure Bridges wants out of Charlotte where he wasn't given a contract he wanted so he likely would approve most teams IMO... but overall he is looking to go somewhere he can behave well and show he's cleaned up his act and will be a model citizen for a few months in order to try and secure the biggest bag possible this summer. Realistically at least half, maybe more, of the owners in this league won't sign him for MLE $... the cheaper he is the more teams would turn a blind eye.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#32 » by GreekAlex » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:27 am

bstein14 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

It's very likely, IMO, that Bridges is looking at a full 3 year MLE deal for a few years as his current rate, which means any team can sign him to that deal without bird rights. I doubt many teams are looking at him at the 4 years $100 million rate given his history.

No extension needs to be in place, and I'm sure Bridges wants out of Charlotte where he wasn't given a contract he wanted so he likely would approve most teams IMO... but overall he is looking to go somewhere he can behave well and show he's cleaned up his act and will be a model citizen for a few months in order to try and secure the biggest bag possible this summer. Realistically at least half, maybe more, of the owners in this league won't sign him for MLE $... the cheaper he is the more teams would turn a blind eye.

That said, several players in the NBA (including Jason Kidd, Billups(reportedly had sexual intercourse with a girl who was blackout drunk), Kobe, Ron Artest) but especially a large number of NFL players have had domestic violence issues. Tyreke Hill of the Dolphins allegedly broke his 3 year old son's arm a few years back when he was with Kansas City, Adrian Peterson (former Lion), etc... The NFL actually had a ridiculous 117 cases from 2000 to 2019 and most of those ended up being settled for money outside of criminal court only about 20% actually got convicted.... Study was done and it pretty much showed that the more talented players get to stay with the team and the bench/lower salary guys almost always get cut.

If the MLE is $12.9M, I’d offer him 3/ 50M.

I think that’s a good value given his production, especially if Monty can improve his defense.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#33 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Can't disagree with you there I guess.

DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#34 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:48 am

vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:

He specifically stated teams WITHOUT cap space and their inability to re-sign him in the off-season since his Bird rights don't travel. You're off on this.

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#35 » by vege » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:12 am

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:He's literally talking about (the inability of) using Bird rights to extend him IN THE SUMMER. Goodness freaking grief.

Bridges has a no-trade clause for this season, because he will lose his Bird Rights if he's traded. This is because Bridges is on a one-year deal with Bird Rights following this season. Because he'll be looking for a bigger contract than his Non-Bird Rights would allow for, Bridges would be considered a rest-of-season rental by Phoenix.

So we have more ability to trade and sign him versus the Suns or any other team over the cap. THEY CAN’T EXTEND HIM. Therefore, Bridges isn’t waiving his no-trade clause for Phoenix. He wants his future team to have his Bird rights (Charlotte) or some team with cap space (Detroit and a few others). We certainly have an advantage.

What is not accurate? I never mentioned Phoenix, I mentioned Utah and they have cap space and Charlotte who also can extend him. So what exactly is not accurate? It's not difficult to understand.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#36 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:29 am

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

What is not accurate? I never mentioned Phoenix, I mentioned Utah and they have cap space and Charlotte who also can extend him. So what exactly is not accurate? It's not difficult to understand.
Getting you to comprehend has proven to be an exercise in futility. How about you re-read the thread and tell me where you mentioned Utah PRIOR to Big Lip's post about a non capspace team not being able to use bird's rights to resign him. This is getting ridiculous.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#37 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:34 am

Snakebites wrote:Stepping away from the moral side of things- the reporting on this is strange.

The Suns and Jazz are both bizarre inclusions on the list of guys who are interested in him. Phoenix has little to no draft capital to pursue him with (we don't have much either unless it's far off), and have no cap space to resign him. Miles puts himself in a financially bad position by accepting a trade to this team.

And the Jazz? Even assuming they drop Collins like a hot potato they seem pretty set at the 4. Just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Phoenix has the MSU connection to ownership and I think they are desperate to win. I don't think any team is going to give up a good first round pick for Bridges. I think if Charlotte is lucky they get a protected first but wouldn't be surprised to see them just get a few seconds. What we do know is that Bridges has zero interest in resigning with Charlotte.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:53 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Let me share a few of my own thoughts so my point is better expressed.

1. I’m definitely cool with everyone having an opinion and voicing it. I get annoyed by the posters that get hysterical and post: "Piece of human scum" and similar emotional jabs every time his name is mentioned and threaten to stop supporting the team.

2. I was on record in one of the threads questioning having Bidges around our young team based on his immaturity, drinking RX cough syrup in music videos.

3. I’d only be interested in trying him out at this point because of our lack of talent if we have no better options and the acquisition/ contract is movable with tons of language in the contract to protect the team if he does any conduct detrimental to the organization.

4. There are a lot of different levels of "outrage" and people act like this is "Rae Carruth" bad and it simply isn't. Not only did no one die, but the victim was popping bottles in a nightclub within days of the incident. That's her right but it illustrates the degree of severity.

Sure. We can talk about a person's capacity for change. But his actions since the main incident don't exactly paint the picture of someone who has changed.

And as I said there's a valid discussion about forgiveness and capacity to change. But that conversation, to me, starts when someone takes ownership of what they've done, acknowledged it was wrong, and made efforts towards change. That doesn't mean forgiveness is automatic once those things happen, but that's a starting point, and it's up to the individual how they look at someone after they've done those things.

And I've not seen that from him at all. So to me with respect to Bridges it's really not worth discussing at this time.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 796

Post#39 » by treefi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:05 am

It’s bad enough to beat a woman like that, but the worst part about his actions to me is that it was in front of the kids. More than once. Wtf.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#40 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:31 am

Just wrote this in another thread, but we should be mindful of the updated news today of our former assistant GM who is being sued (along with the organization) for sexual harrassment (article here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2024/01/26/former-detroit-pistons-employee-sues-team-former-exec-rob-murphy-for-alleged-sexual-harassment/72371536007/).

People can try argue all they want that taking on Bridges is basketball related and the other stuff is all irrelevant, but being associated with guys like him and Murphy is just a terrible look for a business (which the Pistons are) and will put people off from wanting to be a part of our organization in the future (referring more to FO and general hires here, rather than player acquisitions).

Return to Detroit Pistons