Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,029

Re: WELCOME TO DETROIT MR. GRIMES. 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:24 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:I like Grimmes but the value we paid is laughable. Weaver is so bad. Grimmes is an ok 2 way player that can shoot around league average but that's about it.

Bojan and Burks were really good players.

We are going to waive a lot of people. What a mess.

Have you considered that your valuations are off and need to be recalibrated?

If the team didn’t trade Bogey & Burks, I imagine you’d be frantic.

Have you considered that this is the best deal that was available and the team likes Grimes?

If Grimes doesn’t work out, I can imagine being able to move him for multiple 2nds.

You said all along that Bogey & Burks weren’t worth what other posters suggested.

Would you have been happier with 4 second round picks?

We would be better by keeping those 2 players and trying to develop our young players instead of donating them to a contender.

We became the league's farm. We donate cap space and good players for peanuts for other teams, while we build a GLeague talent level roster and have a draft capital deficit. How can you defend Weaver. Seriously. Do you understand we have 7 wins, and we owe a 1st and no FA want to sign with us?

So you wanted us to keep Cade, Ivey, Ausar, Duren, Bogey, Burks, possibly Morris.

But you wanted us to make impactful trades.

Got it.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#22 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:24 pm

Billl wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:So we got a young guy you like and 2 picks for two guys with no future on this team and it’s laughable?

Those 2 guys were helping develop our young players making it semi functional with all the spacing and gravy they were providing. We don't know which 2nds are those, but I would bet they're bad ones.

Bojan had another years under contract.

The young guy is passable. I wanted us to get him, but I would want him for Burks or for 2nds not for Burks AND Bojan.

The return is laughable. Just because the bar is super low doesn't make it any better.

Grimes is more valuable than burks. And NY wasn't punting him for seconds. Let's not pretend those were options.
Realistic trade value around the league
burks = 1 second
Bogie = 2 seconds or young prospect.
These guys just don't hold much trade value. Certainly not if you are searching for 2-way wings in return.

So keep Burks and Bojan and Morris. Space the floor, give your high lottery picks a chance to develop.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#23 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:25 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:I like Grimmes but the value we paid is laughable. Weaver is so bad. Grimmes is an ok 2 way player that can shoot around league average but that's about it.

Have you considered that this is the best deal that was available and the team likes Grimes?

If Grimes doesn’t work out, I can imagine being able to move him for multiple 2nds.

You said all along that Bogey & Burks weren’t worth what other posters suggested.

We would be better by keeping those 2 players and trying to develop our young players instead of donating them to a contender.

We became the league's farm. We donate cap space and good players for peanuts for other teams, while we build a GLeague talent level roster and have a draft capital deficit. How can you defend Weaver. Seriously. Do you understand we have 7 wins, and we owe a 1st and no FA want to sign with us?

Is there a number of games that the team could win in the final 32 that would make you rethink this trade?

P.S. we’re on pace to win 2.8 more games.
vege
RealGM

Post#24 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:25 pm

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

So you wanted us to keep Cade, Ivey, Ausar, Duren, Bogey, Burks, possibly Morris.

But you wanted us to make impactful trades.

Got it.

I would be fine trading any of the young players. They are not good at all. But since we are not trading any of them, at least surround them with NBA talent level players and give them a chance to develop.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#25 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:26 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

Are you serious right now? According to him he's the f'ing authority on this thing called basketball. I mean, according to him, just "check his track record". He's "right most of the time".

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM

Post#26 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:27 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Is there a number of games that the team could win in the final 32 that would make you rethink this trade?

It's not about wins. It's about developing our young players. We don't need any more below average young players. We need real NBA talent around our lottery players.

Do you guys even read what I post? I am super consistent. You may not like it but it's easy to understand.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#27 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:27 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
Those 2 guys were helping develop our young players making it semi functional with all the spacing and gravy they were providing. We don't know which 2nds are those, but I would bet they're bad ones.

The young guy is passable. I wanted us to get him, but I would want him for Burks or for 2nds not for Burks AND Bojan.

The return is laughable. Just because the bar is super low doesn't make it any better.

You want trades to go down but they all suck because you don’t think we got a huge return. We don’t know what the market was for our vets. I’m sure they were shopped and this was the best deal available.

KEEP THE VETS TO HELP DEVELOP CADE/AUSAR/DUREN neither of them can shoot. It's not rocket science. And don't sell your cap space for 2nds and then donate those 2nds on terrible deals, like Bagley, Wiseman, etc etc etc.

We have 7 wins and our draft capital is negative. WAKE UP.

Draft capital is slightly negative because of one pick and that is highly protected and very possibly becomes two seconds. The bad luck w ping pong balls has had a much bigger impact.

And yup, we got 7 wins. You can count. Injuries took out our vets and others. I’m pretty sure we still end up with a better record than Washington and Charlotte, although that doesn’t matter. Getting some younger players that can shoot does.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#28 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:28 pm

As I mentioned in the Knicks trade thread, I'm not particularly excited about Grimes specifically. But he does represent the type of pickup that Detroit should be looking to make.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#29 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:29 pm

vege wrote:
Billl wrote:
vege wrote:

Grimes is more valuable than burks. And NY wasn't punting him for seconds. Let's not pretend those were options.
burks = 1 second
These guys just don't hold much trade value. Certainly not if you are searching for 2-way wings in return.

So keep Burks and Bojan and Morris. Space the floor, give your high lottery picks a chance to develop.

That's all our cap space and assets though. So you run the exact same team back next year and hope for internal development? Nah. We need to add 2 way perimeter players. Grimes is a decent one. Need a couple more.
vege
RealGM

Post#30 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:29 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
You want trades to go down but they all suck because you don’t think we got a huge return. We don’t know what the market was for our vets. I’m sure they were shopped and this was the best deal available.

KEEP THE VETS TO HELP DEVELOP CADE/AUSAR/DUREN neither of them can shoot. It's not rocket science. And don't sell your cap space for 2nds and then donate those 2nds on terrible deals, like Bagley, Wiseman, etc etc etc.

Draft capital is slightly negative because of one pick and that is highly protected and very possibly becomes two seconds. The bad luck w ping pong balls has had a much bigger impact.

And yup, we got 7 wins. You can count. Injuries took out our vets and others. I’m pretty sure we still end up with a better record than Washington and Charlotte, although that doesn’t matter. Getting some younger players that can shoot does.

Every team have a ton of injuries. We traded all our super early 2nds untill 2027. We have been getting crap 2nds and sending good ones away.

We also traded our 1st yes. It's not the ping pong balls or injuries fault. It's Troy Weaver's fault. He is the guy who assembled this roster, and he is the guy who have been throwing assets away left and right.
vege
RealGM

Post#31 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:30 pm

Billl wrote:
vege wrote:
Billl wrote:
burks = 1 second

That's all our cap space and assets though. So you run the exact same team back next year and hope for internal development? Nah. We need to add 2 way perimeter players. Grimes is a decent one. Need a couple more.

That's false. That's not all our cap space.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#32 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:34 pm

Billl wrote:
vege wrote:
Billl wrote:
burks = 1 second

Exactly. Seriously need to start adding younger wings. They are more likely to stay healthy as well.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,455

Post#33 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:36 pm

vege wrote:
Billl wrote:
vege wrote:

It's really is most of it. You add the rookie scale for our top5 pick and $40 mil for those 3, and maybe you have room for 1 mid level free agent. And that's assuming we didn't have to overpay to sign someone. Certainly nothing transformational is happening that way.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#34 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:38 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

Every team have a ton of injuries. We traded all our super early 2nds untill 2027. We have been getting crap 2nds and sending good ones away.

We also traded our 1st yes. It's not the ping pong balls or injuries fault. It's Troy Weaver's fault. He is the guy who assembled this roster, and he is the guy who have been throwing assets away left and right.

What is “it”?

I just stated the obvious that ping pong balls impacted us more than this New York pick which could be a second.

And also stated that injuries have impacted our record. Again, obviously true.

When you’re having a bad day, do you blame that on Weaver too? :lol:
vege
RealGM

Post#35 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:38 pm

Billl wrote:
vege wrote:
Billl wrote:

It's really is most of it. You add the rookie scale for our top5 pick and $40 mil for those 3, and maybe you have room for 1 mid level free agent. And that's assuming we didn't have to overpay to sign someone. Certainly nothing transformational is happening that way.

Max Struss snobbed us and decided to go to Cleveland. Who exactly are you expecting Troy Weaver to add this offseason?

I am expecting either Joe Harris 2.0 or Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva 2.0.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#36 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:39 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:

It's not about wins. It's about developing our young players. We don't need any more below average young players. We need real NBA talent around our lottery players.

Do you guys even read what I post? I am super consistent. You may not like it but it's easy to understand.

I definitely read what you say but I’m trying to understand it.

Are you suggesting that if the team wins more that they’ll be “developing” worse regardless?

The vast majority of the players we acquired played better defensively than the outgoing players.

There are a lot of good shooters coming as well.

Surrounding the young core with competent high BBIQ, 3 & D young players that have the potential to grow with the team seems like a positive recipe.

I’ve never seen someone rag of 2 players defense incessantly and be so disappointed when they’re traded lol :lol:
vege
RealGM

Post#37 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:42 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

What is “it”?

I just stated the obvious that ping pong balls impacted us more than this New York pick which could be a second.

7 wins season and negative draft asset and you refuse to see it and decides to make fun of the guy trying to open you eyes. Cool story bro.

Injuries affect every single team in the league.

We have a recent #1 pick. We probably have average ping pong ball luck.

Do you understand we won 7 games this season?

Do you understand we owe a 1st and several 2nds to assemble the roster that won 7 games?

We pay assets to acquire guys, to then pay assets to dump the same guys. Do you thing Weaver have been doing a good job managing our assets?
vege
RealGM

Post#38 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:44 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

I definitely read what you say but I’m trying to understand it.

Are you suggesting that if the team wins more that they’ll be “developing” worse regardless?

The vast majority of the players we acquired played better defensively than the outgoing players.

There are a lot of good shooters coming as well.

Surrounding the young core with competent high BBIQ, 3 & D young players that have the potential to grow with the team seems like a positive recipe.

I’ve never seen someone rag of 2 players defense incessantly and be so disappointed when they’re traded lol :lol:

We traded much better shooters and much higher BBIQ players in the process. Our roster is significantly worst than it was 2 days ago. That's not debatable at all. If you can't see that, I honestly don't know what to tell you.

We got 3 better defenders, sure, but they're not good defenders, they're all below average defenders, and significantly lesser players than the ones we donated.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:51 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

What is “it”?

7 wins season and negative draft asset and you refuse to see it and decides to make fun of the guy trying to open you eyes. Cool story bro.

Injuries affect every single team in the league.

We have a recent #1 pick. We probably have average ping pong ball luck.

Do you understand we won 7 games this season?

Do you understand we owe a 1st and several 2nds to assemble the roster that won 7 games?

We pay assets to acquire guys, to then pay assets to dump the same guys. Do you thing Weaver have been doing a good job managing our assets?

SRPs are not that big of a deal. They are like loose change. BFD.

If we want to spend all our cap space on a bunch of average vets, sure we could have 15-20 wins and no future. I’d much prefer getting young guys on rookie deals and letting them develop.

Of course you’re frustrated if you expect SRPs to become starters and guys in their very early 20s to dominate in a league where 25-29 is prime years.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#40 » by DBC10 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:52 pm

We have to pay up to get players that fit better and can shoot. I don't see how this is rocket science needing to be explained multiple times. And if so, it's mild trolling at best at this point. The notion that we're somehow worse without seeing a daylight of play in this roster flip, is out of step with reality. Reality was we have 7 wins and 7 wins with Burks and Bojan so their individual counting stats being higher than the new players coming in means so little that I fail to see how anyone can predict how the rest of the season will go

Also to note, Burks and Bojan are in their thirties and isn't exactly in the best of health while periodically going through slumps. I'm amazed we got something of value

Return to Detroit Pistons