GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Re: Adios Joe Harris (Shams) 

Post#21 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:13 pm

thesack12 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Eh, I'm not sure why the cap floor carries as much concern as it does.

Unless there is a change in the new CBA that I'm not currently aware of, the only penalty for not reaching the floor is you have to give players on your team pro-rated bonuses equivalent to the floor deviation. Which isn't exactly a scary punishment.

It’s horrible for flexibility. You don’t have salary ballasts to make trades with.

Why can't you just use the cap space? It doesn't disappear

There’s a new rule in the CBA that that salary floor has to be reached by the start of the regular season.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#22 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:13 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Eh, I'm not sure why the cap floor carries as much concern as it does.

Unless there is a change in the new CBA that I'm not currently aware of, the only penalty for not reaching the floor is you have to give players on your team pro-rated bonuses equivalent to the floor deviation. Which isn't exactly a scary punishment.

It’s horrible for flexibility. You don’t have salary ballasts to make trades with.

YOU HAVE RAW CAP SPACE which is 10x more valuable.

There’s a new rule in the CBA that that salary floor has to be reached by the start of the regular season.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#23 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:15 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

YOU HAVE RAW CAP SPACE which is 10x more valuable.

A team is now required to reach the minimum salary floor by the start of the regular season, rather than the end of the regular season. A team whose salary is below the minimum floor at the start of the 2023/24 regular season will only be entitled to 50% of its end-of-season share of the NBA's luxury tax payouts.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,030

Post#24 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:16 pm

House gone too.

Does that put us at 15?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#25 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:16 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

There is like 4 months between the start of the offseason and the start of the regular season.

How does burning $20 mil in cap space before free agency even starts make any sense at all?

And again, who cares if you aren't at the cap floor? The penalty is essentially a slap on the wrist. You can carry the cap space/ flexibility into the season, it does not disappear.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#26 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:19 pm

thesack12 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

There is like 4 months between the start of the offseason and the start of the regular season.

Why does burning $20 mil in cap space before free agency even starts make any sense at all?

We’re talking about 2 different things.

I’m not suggesting the Joe Harris trade was good.

I’m only saying it was better than taking that cap space into the season.

For the record, I would have rather done a strategic overpay like the Bruce Brown deal with one overpay year and a second year on a team option.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#27 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:24 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Why does burning $20 mil in cap space before free agency even starts make any sense at all?

We’re talking about 2 different things.

I’m not suggesting the Joe Harris trade was good.

I’m only saying it was better than taking that cap space into the season.

For the record, I would have rather done a strategic overpay like the Bruce Brown deal with one overpay year and a second year on a team option.

How is blowing $20 mil in cap space on Joe Freakin Harris, before the offseason even starts no less, better than carrying cap space into the season?

Again, the cap space does not disappear after the season starts and the penalty for not getting to the cap floor is inconsequential.

Even if you were worried about getting to the cap floor, why would we have any reason to believe that Brooklyn wouldn't jumped on unloading Joe Harris' contract in October? Or any number of other teams looking to dump unwanted salary on Detroit at the cost of something they will not miss.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#28 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:27 pm

Dead Money Dedmon was getting kind of lonely on our Dead Money cap section so Weaver added Harris and Hayes to the Dead Money pile. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/
TPA
Senior
And1: 472

Post#29 » by TPA » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:32 pm

bstein14 wrote:Dead Money Dedmon was getting kind of lonely on our Dead Money cap section so Weaver added Harris and Hayes to the Dead Money pile. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/

Yeah, that happens when you waive a player. It doesn't mean that they won't be picked up off of waivers and The claimant team assume a portion of the contract. Harris and Hayes contracts expire at the end of this season regardless.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#30 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:35 pm

TPA wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Dead Money Dedmon was getting kind of lonely on our Dead Money cap section so Weaver added Harris and Hayes to the Dead Money pile. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/detroit-pistons/cap/

Yeah, that happens when you waive a player. It doesn't mean that they won't be picked up off of waivers and The claimant team assume a portion of the contract. Harris and Hayes contracts expire at the end of this season regardless.

Between Josh Smith, Blake, all the Weaver waive and stretches and now waiving $28 million more today we have to hold the record for most money paid for players waived. Incredibly poor use of resources.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#31 » by smann7 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:17 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:So for the people on the first day of free agency that tried to justify this acquisition, wtf are your thoughts now? Sin eat sin eat sin eat!!! Pfffft.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

I defended it and oh man i didn't know he was that cooked

Same, I thought he would at least knock down some 3s for us….boy was I wrong!
tradez401
Starter
And1: 621

Post#32 » by tradez401 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:20 pm

wat a horrendous trade in gettin joe harris the man was unplayable on the court and we help a team in keeping a solid talent around smh.

Return to Detroit Pistons