ImageImageImage

Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Re: Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline. 

Post#21 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:10 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Don't know if Fontecchio will be back.

He's restricted and we traded a #31-33 pick for him. You don't give good value for a 30 game rental of Fontecchio. He'll be back.

The hope is Weaver learned from Bagley and let's this play out to where he's matching an offer from another team instead of just bidding against himself.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#22 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:10 pm

I think Grimes and Fontecchio were solid pick ups and can be keepers along with the Core 4 + Sassar and Stewart. That’s 8 young guys that can ball. And we get to add a top 5 pick plus a big free agent (Miles Bridges anyone?)

We can always pick up a couple of cheap locker room vets if needed. But I think we’ve bottomed out and on our way up.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#23 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:12 pm

vege wrote:
bstein14 wrote:I'm not going to look at any players that would be UFA's next year I'm only looking at players who will be under contract or an RFA (with their cap hold) as well as picks.

Players that were under contract next year that were traded away: Bagley ($12.5 million)
Players that we acquired under contract or RFA for us next year: Quentin Grimes ($4.3mil) & Simone Fontecchio ($3.8mil cap hold)

Overall Weaver got rid of fringe rotation player Bagley's $12.5 million owed to him and replaced him with two actual rotation players while also increasing our cap space for 2024 by $4.4 million

Tons of 2nd round picks moved.
-2 Bagley
-1 Fontecchio (#32 or #33 most likely
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
Overall we netted one more 2nd rounder but the quality of the 2nd rounders are likely to be less than what we got back.
---------

We're in a better position to tackle this summer today than we were before the Bagley trade and other trades. If we really want anyone like Morris, Burks, or Bojan back I'm sure we can make them an offer this summer but it'll be nice for all those vets to get a chance to play some meaningful playoff basketball.

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
4. Ivey $8.0 <Age 21, will be 22 in a few days>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
7. Fontecchio ($3.8 cap hold) <Age 28>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>
9. Top 5 Draft Pick ($8-$13 million depending on where we land and if we keep it)
10. FA#1 $65 to $75 million in cap space depending on whether or not we keep our space
11. FA#2 Whatever we have left after our cap space is used signing our first player
12. $8 Room Exception we can spend on after we've used up our cap space
13-15 Minimum Salary guys like Knox, CoJo, etc.

That rotation has a chance to be really solid depending on what we are able to do with that cap space.

Bojan is under contract for next year. WTF

I think if we kept him we'd likely be on the hook for $2 million and not keep him at $18+.... New York might see the value in keeping him because they don't have cap space but to a younger team with cap space looking to make a splash in FA I think its unlikely we would have kept him.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#24 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:12 pm

theBigLip wrote:I think Grimes and Fontecchio were solid pick ups and can be keepers along with the Core 4 + Sassar and Stewart. That’s 8 young guys that can ball. And we get to add a top 5 pick plus a big free agent (Miles Bridges anyone?)

We can always pick up a couple of cheap locker room vets if needed. But I think we’ve bottomed out and on our way up.

I sure hope we’ve bottomed out. How much lower can we go? :lol:
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#25 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:13 pm

Sort wrote:I thought this article was honest. It at least helped me understand what just happened and a little bit of why.

https://theathletic.com/5260836/2024/02/08/pistons-nba-trade-deadline-moves/

That's a garbage article from JEIII licking Weaver's balls. The only truth he said is, we traded the 2 best players in any of those deals and we gave up the most valuable pick in any of those deals.
vege
RealGM

Post#26 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:14 pm

bstein14 wrote:
vege wrote:
bstein14 wrote:I'm not going to look at any players that would be UFA's next year I'm only looking at players who will be under contract or an RFA (with their cap hold) as well as picks.

Players that were under contract next year that were traded away: Bagley ($12.5 million)
Players that we acquired under contract or RFA for us next year: Quentin Grimes ($4.3mil) & Simone Fontecchio ($3.8mil cap hold)

Overall Weaver got rid of fringe rotation player Bagley's $12.5 million owed to him and replaced him with two actual rotation players while also increasing our cap space for 2024 by $4.4 million

-2 Bagley
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
Overall we netted one more 2nd rounder but the quality of the 2nd rounders are likely to be less than what we got back.
---------

We're in a better position to tackle this summer today than we were before the Bagley trade and other trades. If we really want anyone like Morris, Burks, or Bojan back I'm sure we can make them an offer this summer but it'll be nice for all those vets to get a chance to play some meaningful playoff basketball.

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>
9. Top 5 Draft Pick ($8-$13 million depending on where we land and if we keep it)
10. FA#1 $65 to $75 million in cap space depending on whether or not we keep our space
11. FA#2 Whatever we have left after our cap space is used signing our first player

That rotation has a chance to be really solid depending on what we are able to do with that cap space.

I think if we kept him we'd likely be on the hook for $2 million and not keep him at $18+.... New York might see the value in keeping him because they don't have cap space but to a younger team with cap space looking to make a splash in FA I think its unlikely we would have kept him.

The FO said several times the plan was to keep him and bring him off the bench next season. He was not going to be waived.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#27 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:14 pm

bstein14 wrote:
vege wrote:

-2 Bagley
+2 Knicks Trade
+1 Philly Trade
+1 Morris Trade
---------

1. Stewart $15 <Age 22>
2. Cade $13.9 <Age 22>
3. Ausar $8.4 <Age 21>
5. Duren $4.5 <Age 20>
6. Grimes $4.3 <Age 23>
8. Sasser $2.8 <Age 23>

Yeah, eating $20M of the last cap space you're likely to have in a long time with a guy who is 52 years old doesn't make a lot of sense for a team in this position.
vege
RealGM

Post#28 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:20 pm

theBigLip wrote:I think Grimes and Fontecchio were solid pick ups and can be keepers along with the Core 4 + Sassar and Stewart. That’s 8 young guys that can ball. And we get to add a top 5 pick plus a big free agent (Miles Bridges anyone?)

It's SassEr :lol: it's not important, we all know who you're talking about but it's Marcus Sasser.

Troy Brown Jr and Shake Milton could turn their career around. Milton is a huge guard, his problem is he is super inconsistent He has a 7'1" wingspan which is insane for a guard, that's bigger than Cade and he is a career 35.8% 3 point shooter. He need to learn how to shoot and play defense tho.

Troy Brown Jr has a 6'11" wingspan and is shooting around league average from 3. He is a solid passer and a passable defender. He could fit well with what Monty expect our players to do and may improve playing for Monty.

Still this was a **** deadline. We gave up the 2 best players and the best pick, and make no mistake, we got worse, but maybe we have some players that will fit what our coach is trying to do.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#29 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:20 pm

vege wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
vege wrote:

The FO said several times the plan was to keep him and bring him off the bench next season. He was not going to be waived.

They were very obviously trying to juice his value by pretending they'd keep him even when it makes no sense to do so with his $20M stopping you from signing another free agent that won't be retired in a year or two.
vege
RealGM

Post#30 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:21 pm

BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
vege wrote:

Yeah, eating $20M of the last cap space you're likely to have in a long time with a guy who is 52 years old doesn't make a lot of sense for a team in this position.

Yeah, the 2nd worst 3 point shooter team in the NBA have no place for one of the best shooters in the league and excellent offensive player :crazy:
vege
RealGM

Post#31 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:23 pm

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

They were very obviously trying to juice his value by pretending they'd keep him even when it makes no sense to do so with his $20M stopping you from signing another free agent that won't be retired in a year or two.

Who is that misterious FA? OG? Siakam? We couldn't land Max Struss when we had 30 million to spend. Who exactly are we landing this season that we need 60+ mil in cap space? No one wants to play with GLeague level players, a **** GM and in a city that has never been a FA destination.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#32 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:27 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

Yeah, the 2nd worst 3 point shooter team in the NBA have no place for one of the best shooters in the league and excellent offensive player :crazy:

Father time catches up to everyone. We don't have the defense to hide Bojan. That's why only Isaiah Livers has a worse On-Off Rating than Bojan on this team. It was time to move on. Fontecchio and Grimes can shoot pretty well and aren't pylons on defense. Sasser will get more shots out of this and he can really shoot.

And again, in addition to Grimes, having no Bojan will mean we have an extra $17.6M to spend in free agency or to work with in trades.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:29 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:

Who is that misterious FA? OG? Siakam? We couldn't land Max Struss when we had 30 million to spend. Who exactly are we landing this season that we need 60+ mil in cap space? No one wants to play with GLeague level players, a **** GM and in a city that has never been a FA destination.

Miles Bridges is looking more real.

OG will get a call. If nothing else, we force the Knicks to max him out.
vege
RealGM

Post#34 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:29 pm

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Father time catches up to everyone. We don't have the defense to hide Bojan. That's why only Isaiah Livers has a worse On-Off Rating than Bojan. It was time to move on. Fontecchio and Grimes can shoot and aren't pylons on defense. Sasser will get more shots out of this and he can really shoot.

And again, in addition to Grimes, having no Bojan will mean we have an extra $17.6M to spend in free agency or to work with in trades.

Bojan is more than just a shooter on offense, and he is on a whole new level as a shooter if compared to Grimes and Fontecchio.

Neither Grimes or Fontecchio are anything special on defense. Grimes is passable, Fontecchio is bad. They're both better than Bojan on defense tho, I am not going to argue about that.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#35 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:32 pm

Bojan is almost 35 years old. He doesn't want to be a bench player on a horrible team next year he's been a pro but he also felt like the Pistons were going to try to do more to compete this year. I didn't really see a meaningful endgame for him to finish out his career with this Pistons team based on where we are right now. It's entirely possible that next year will be his last. Not many players make it to age 37 in this league and most that do fall off hard that last year or two.
vege
RealGM

Post#36 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:32 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:They were very obviously trying to juice his value by pretending they'd keep him even when it makes no sense to do so with his $20M stopping you from signing another free agent that won't be retired in a year or two.

Miles Bridges is looking more real.

OG will get a call. If nothing else, we force the Knicks to max him out.

Miles Bridges will very likely stay in Charlotte. He scored back to back 40+ efficient points game. They will pay him.

Tobias is very likely staying in Philly. They have a crapload of cap space and there are no targets for them.

OG's agend doesn't even pick up the phone to talk to Weaver. We're not going to force the Knicks to pay any more money for OG.
vege
RealGM

Post#37 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:33 pm

bstein14 wrote:Bojan is almost 35 years old. He doesn't want to be a bench player on a horrible team next year he's been a pro but he also felt like the Pistons were going to try to do more to compete this year. I didn't really see a meaningful endgame for him to finish out his career with this Pistons team based on where we are right now. It's entirely possible that next year will be his last. Not many players make it to age 37 in this league and most that do fall off hard that last year or two.

Regardless, he is not an expiring and we were not going to waive him if we didn't trade him.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#38 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:34 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:

Father time catches up to everyone. We don't have the defense to hide Bojan. That's why only Isaiah Livers has a worse On-Off Rating than Bojan. It was time to move on. Fontecchio and Grimes can shoot and aren't pylons on defense. Sasser will get more shots out of this and he can really shoot.

Bojan is more than just a shooter on offense, and he is on a whole new level as a shooter if compared to Grimes and Fontecchio.

Neither Grimes or Fontecchio are anything special on defense. Grimes is passable, Fontecchio is bad. They're both better than Bojan on defense tho, I am not going to argue about that.

Bojan is one of the very worst defenders in the entire league and he isn't going to get any better when he's a year older. Pull your head out of CraftedNBA (the website that says Ivey is a better rim protector than Wemby) for one millisecond and watch them play. They are massively better on defense than Bojan. Like night and day.

As I've been saying, Burks is the guy we're more likely to miss as he was the big-shot maker that would keep the bench afloat in most of these games.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:35 pm

vege wrote:

It's SassEr :lol: it's not important, we all know who you're talking about but it's Marcus Sasser.

I think I was merging Sasser’s shooting with Ausar’s D :lol:
vege
RealGM

Post#40 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:36 pm

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Father time catches up to everyone. We don't have the defense to hide Bojan. That's why only Isaiah Livers has a worse On-Off Rating than Bojan. It was time to move on. Fontecchio and Grimes can shoot and aren't pylons on defense. Sasser will get more shots out of this and he can really shoot.

Bojan is one of the very worst defenders in the entire league and he isn't going to get any better when he's a year older. Pull your head out of CraftedNBA for one millisecond and watch them play. They are massively better on defense than Bojan. Like night and day.

As I've been saying, Burks is the guy we're more likely to miss as he was the big-shot maker that would keep the bench afloat in most of these games.

Bojan is still the best player even with his poor defense in the equation.

Return to Detroit Pistons