Monty's done experimenting

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Re: Monty's done experimenting 

Post#21 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:46 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:So glad we waited until after the All-Star break to start “competing.”

I swear he’s trying to get fired

I really think that based on punting last years cap space and seeing all of the injuries at the beginning of the season coupled with the losing streak, the organization made a decision to use this as a development year without regard for wins.

I’m not a Weaver or Monty apologist but I’d rather be in our current position than lock in to bad deals.

If that was true we would have seen a lot more of Ausar and Sasser this season. Perhaps its true down the stretch but we also are still seeing vets that aren't a part of the future playing ahead of Sasser so who knows.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#22 » by NYPiston » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:05 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a coach who is so clueless with his rotations, what direction he's going in, his system etc.
Guy is just here to collect a paycheck, this is the darkest Pistons timeline among a sea of dark timelines the last 15 years.

On another note, is Grimes going to be another injury prone bust? Is this guy getting into a game eventually? Not much season left to evaluate him. What a mess
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:37 pm

lol
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#24 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:32 pm

The only plausible explanation is Monty is trying to be fired.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#25 » by Drwho17 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:06 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:The only plausible explanation is Monty is trying to be fired.

Right, he can't be this bad of a coach and have put in 10 years already? He even sayss he's going to stop experimenting, then empties the bench in the first quarter. I saw somewhere the starters were plus or close to plus on the plus/minus scale. why does he insists on playing the scrubs so much? Malachi Flynn really, Wiseman instead of Muscala? This has to be intentional, the games the won recently were when he was forced to play extended minutes to the players still on the team? Do we have to cut these guys to keep him from playing them? I mean, I'd just as soon keep all the new guys on the bench, except for foul trouble.

Ivey/Duren/Ausar at this point should be playing 35-40 minutes a game, Cade 30-35, Fontecchio/Sasser/Stewart/Grimes 25/30, Muscala/Brown 10-20, rest of the players should not see time, except for oddities such as injuries/foul troubles/ejections etc. No more than 10 guys should hit the floor otherwise.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#26 » by zeebneeb » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:59 pm

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#27 » by Crymson » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Snakebites wrote:No idea what this even means. And even if I did I wouldn’t believe it’s actually what he’s going to do.

He says thing to the media that he outright contradicts when we get to the game all the time.

I think "habitual liar" is the term you're looking for here.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#28 » by tmorgan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:32 pm

Monty sucks so bad it’s hard to fathom.

I mean, we’re terrible, i get that. But he’s just openly coaching like a buffoon.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#29 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:40 pm

Did the fanbases of any of his previous teams like him?
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#30 » by NYPiston » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:48 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Here is Edwards take, and its openly questioning Monty.

https://theathletic.com/5294273/2024/02/23/pistons-loss-pacers-monty-williams-rotation/

JEIII is probably the biggest Pistons shill of the 21st century so if he's ripping you to shreds, you know that you REALLY suck.
Monty should just resign and save us all the trouble. He's clearly just interested in collecting fat stacks and not actual coaching or he's intentionally trying to get fired.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:05 pm

Again, exactly how bad must Monty be in order for us to be allowed to fire him for cause and not pay him the rest of his contract??

He has to be at least in the conversation….

Or is there no such thing as being flat out bad enough to warrant being fired with cause?
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#32 » by MortSahlfan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 pm

James Wiseman: I believe I can be a great player
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#33 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:39 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Again, exactly how bad must Monty be in order for us to be allowed to fire him for cause and not pay him the rest of his contract??

Or is there no such thing as being flat out bad enough to warrant being fired with cause?

No such thing or Killian wouldn’t be paid
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,040

Post#34 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Again, exactly how bad must Monty be in order for us to be allowed to fire him for cause and not pay him the rest of his contract??

Yeah…

Firing for cause isn’t performance based.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#35 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:47 am

Snakebites wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:

Yeah…

Firing for cause isn’t performance based.

Maybe Gores can hire some misfit female employee to induce him into a Ime Udoka plot lol
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#36 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:10 am

If you want Monty gone you should be calling for Weavers head first because the owner has already stated hes putting the blame on himself and Troy for the season.

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/12/23/detroit-pistons-tom-gores-apologizes-historic-losing-streak

Detroit’s owner also stood by Williams, who’s contract guarantees him $78.5 million, and said that the blame for the season lies with ownership and general manager Troy Weaver, even though Gores said he still believes in Weaver as well.

“It has to be me,” Gores said when asked whom should shoulder the blame for the team’s struggles. “I was very optimistic at the beginning of the season. Maybe I missed something in the combinations. If you want to shoulder it on any one, I’d say it’s me and Troy. We made these decisions.”
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#37 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:24 am

buzzkilloton wrote:If you want Monty gone you should be calling for Weavers head first because the owner has already stated hes putting the blame on himself and Troy for the season.

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/12/23/detroit-pistons-tom-gores-apologizes-historic-losing-streak

Detroit’s owner also stood by Williams, who’s contract guarantees him $78.5 million, and said that the blame for the season lies with ownership and general manager Troy Weaver, even though Gores said he still believes in Weaver as well.

“It has to be me,” Gores said when asked whom should shoulder the blame for the team’s struggles. “I was very optimistic at the beginning of the season. Maybe I missed something in the combinations. If you want to shoulder it on any one, I’d say it’s me and Troy. We made these decisions.”

Weaver is nothing to brag about but if Gores is heavily involved in the decision making, maybe that’s the bigger problem.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,955

Post#38 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:58 pm

"The Pistons keep experimenting, even as the losses pile up."
Detroit Times wrote:INDIANAPOLIS — Shake Milton walked onto the court late in the first quarter of a 129-115 Detroit Pistons loss to the Indiana Pacers on Thursday as the first of a handful of players unfamiliar with hearing their numbers called before halftime or even the fourth quarter. He was followed shortly thereafter by Troy Brown Jr., the 2018 lottery pick who has played early stints here and there but not often. And a bit later by Malachi Flynn, the point guard whose most significant minutes have come when his original team was about to trade four of its players to Detroit.

https://t.ly/3s5VQ
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#39 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:40 pm

I could see one of those three being in the regular rotation, but not all three (maybe two of them while Grimes is out).
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#40 » by joedumars1 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:41 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:If you want Monty gone you should be calling for Weavers head first because the owner has already stated hes putting the blame on himself and Troy for the season.

Weaver is nothing to brag about but if Gores is heavily involved in the decision making, maybe that’s the bigger problem.

Gores is the problem, I though he learned giving dumars the playoff or bust, so he goes for huge fa j. Smooth, oh boy. Svg wanting to move dre when he had high value, gores no no let’s go get Blake griffin! This Mfer needs to stick to whatver the **** it is he’s good at not middling with fa, coach, trade decisions and going against “your guys”.

Return to Detroit Pistons