Post#21 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:19 pm

I for see a fine comming by the NBA
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,848

Re: Troy Weaver Vs Fan 

Post#22 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:54 pm

I’m not sure how much time I would spend in the stands if I were Weaver. Just like on this board, most fans will prematurely judge him on his record as if winning during the rebuild is the only way to judge him. It is one way, but a simple one. The more nuanced fan will judge him on building a roster and controlling the cap, which he has been doing a good job of.

I know there is a lot of impatience going around. But the clock is ticking. The cap space has to be used before Cade’s extension kicks in.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,977

Post#23 » by zeebneeb » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:15 pm

theBigLip wrote:I’m not sure how much time I would spend in the stands if I were Weaver. Just like on this board, most fans will prematurely judge him on his record as if winning during the rebuild is the only way to judge him. It is one way, but a simple one. The more nuanced fan will judge him on building a roster and controlling the cap, which he has been doing a good job of.

I know there is a lot of impatience going around. But the clock is ticking. The cap space has to be used before Cade’s extension kicks in.
That's the key here; clock is ticking. You can objectively look at Weavers resume since he's been here, and take into account what he started with, and come to the conclusion that he has been a below average GM, or right at average.(1-10 scale, I have him at 4.5, with 5 being average)

The team now has bona-fide talent. Weaver has to construct a functional team now. This is where I am really worried. He has shown, and stated he has an affinity for Centers, but yet has somehow managed to only have one starting level bigman on the roster in almost 4 years. Jalen Duren. Stewart is, unless he starts to show some real growth, an excellent backup Center. Wiseman is a trainwreck right now, but has shown growth...to being a backup Center, or 3rd big down the line.

The team is desperate for a big wing. Ausar could develop into a PF, but he is an excellent SF, that can guard multiple positions, so I want him right where he is at.

If you put Laurie at PF, without giving up the house, you have the start of something special here in Detroit.

It is a mystery to me, how Weaver is going to build this roster out, with Cade being the centerpiece that he is. It took Weaver years to recognize what Cade needed(Tek, lob threats)and now his coach won't play the painfully obvious rotations and starting groups for Cade to excel.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Tek
Duren

I'm also still shaky as hell on the Cade/Ivey Duo. Weaver has work to do, and I am pessimistic he is the right person to get the job done.

He has done some very good things, and has drafted some home runs, but it's not enough.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,848

Post#24 » by theBigLip » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:52 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
theBigLip wrote:I’m not sure how much time I would spend in the stands if I were Weaver. Just like on this board, most fans will prematurely judge him on his record as if winning during the rebuild is the only way to judge him. It is one way, but a simple one. The more nuanced fan will judge him on building a roster and controlling the cap, which he has been doing a good job of.

The team now has bona-fide talent. Weaver has to construct a functional team now. This is where I am really worried. He has shown, and stated he has an affinity for Centers, but yet has somehow managed to only have one starting level bigman on the roster in almost 4 years. Jalen Duren. Stewart is, unless he starts to show some real growth, an excellent backup Center. Wiseman is a trainwreck right now, but has shown growth...to being a backup Center, or 3rd big down the line.

The team is desperate for a big wing. Ausar could develop into a PF, but he is an excellent SF, that can guard multiple positions, so I want him right where he is at.

If you put Laurie at PF, without giving up the house, you have the start of something special here in Detroit.

It is a mystery to me, how Weaver is going to build this roster out, with Cade being the centerpiece that he is. It took Weaver years to recognize what Cade needed(Tek, lob threats)and now his coach won't play the painfully obvious rotations and starting groups for Cade to excel.

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Tek
Duren

I'm also still shaky as hell on the Cade/Ivey Duo. Weaver has work to do, and I am pessimistic he is the right person to get the job done.

He has done some very good things, and has drafted some home runs, but it's not enough.

I'm in agreement (and Weaver is probably too) that we need a PF and a big wing. BB, Burks and Harris would have helped but spent most or their time here injured. Morris too.

I don't think we can get Lauri without giving up a lot of assets. Sure he would be a great fit, but giving up our 2024 FRP and Stewart doesn't get it done. So do we add more picks? Ivey? Duren? I personally think we keep those assets and use our cap space to fill in the blanks on our team.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 305

Post#25 » by breezypeezy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:55 pm

Not nearly enough, not by a massive margin.
We shouldve seen many games already with both Cade and Ivey combining for that 60 pts along with 20/20 explosions from Duren.

Whatever Idioacy Monty brings, its on Weavers doorstep, he's responsible for not firing that idiot and hes responsible for 4 yrs without a functioning NBA front court and this devastating Stew as a PF experiment.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#26 » by Invictus88 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 pm

theBigLip wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Tek
Duren

I'm in agreement (and Weaver is probably too) that we need a PF and a big wing. BB, Burks and Harris would have helped but spent most or their time here injured. Morris too.

I don't think we can get Lauri without giving up a lot of assets. Sure he would be a great fit, but giving up our 2024 FRP and Stewart doesn't get it done. So do we add more picks? Ivey? Duren? I personally think we keep those assets and use our cap space to fill in the blanks on our team.

I honestly just want to see how the lineup above does for an extended period of time as the starting / main unit. I would love nothing more than to see big minutes for that five to really see if folks gel under the most optimum conditions we can give them.

I think the reality is that there has never been any real lineup consistency this year (which is tragic). You could blame that on injuries and experimentation due to lack of viable personnel before. Now it's literally just because of stubbornness and stupidity.

The funniest thing about all of this is that I think Stew makes a great *backup* center. I think he would excel in that role because he doesn't have to be a guy that necessarily spaces the floor and he wouldn't be paired up against mutant giants that are on team's starting 5's as often. He also wouldn't need to guard 4s on the perimeter either.

-----

I saw on Ku's latest podcast how JEIII has this notion that folks are down on Stewart because of how awkward he *looks* and how it's otherwise unfair criticism.

• The reality is that he does look awkward trying to establish good post position against starting C's and this often leads to turnovers as the bad positioning makes the passes inward difficult; leading to turnovers.
  • He does look awkward receiving the ball as he doesn't have very good hands. There is no way to make fumbling away the basketball not look awkward.
  • If he successfully receives the ball he still looks awkward because he can't jump high and every post possession with him is a struggle to get the ball over/around taller defenders.
  • He also looks awkward dribbling the basketball because he loses the ball often/gets it poked away when putting it on the floor.
  • He looks awkward when he catches the ball on the perimeter as he often pauses / second-guesses taking his 3 point shots. This leads to either contested shots as the defense has time to recover or more often awkward possessions of teammates. They don't expect someone so open not to shoot the ball and are surprised by the pass. His initial hesitation allows not just his defender to close the gap but the rest of the defense to rotate; meaning his teammate has less space to operate in as well.
  • Finally he looks very awkward shooting the 3 ball. It looks ugly because he is always so wide open that when he completely bricks or misses the hoop on a 3rd of his attempts it doesn't look normal. Because good shooters are normally far more accurate when they have so much time to gather and set their feet.

So yeah. He does look awkward. But it's not unfair to be down on him because that awkwardness goes hand in hand with outcomes that hurt the team.

Again. He can get away with a lot of the above against 2nd stringers. His expectations aren't as high. He can relax more. He matches up better physically against these players, etc. Why not put him in a position where he can succeed?

(Sorry for the rant here)
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,321

Post#27 » by vege » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Cade
Ivey
Ausar
Tek
Duren

I honestly just want to see how the lineup above does for an extended period of time as the starting / main unit. I would love nothing more than to see big minutes for that five to really see if folks gel under the most optimum conditions we can give them.

I think the reality is that there has never been any real lineup consistency this year (which is tragic). You could blame that on injuries and experimentation due to lack of viable personnel before. Now it's literally just because of stubbornness and stupidity.

The funniest thing about all of this is that I think Stew makes a great *backup* center. I think he would excel in that role because he doesn't have to be a guy that necessarily spaces the floor and he wouldn't be paired up against mutant giants that are on team's starting 5's as often. He also wouldn't need to guard 4s on the perimeter either.

-----

I saw on Ku's latest podcast how JEIII has this notion that folks are down on Stewart because of how awkward he *looks* and how it's otherwise unfair criticism.

• The reality is that he does look awkward trying to establish good post position against starting C's and this often leads to turnovers as the bad positioning makes the passes inward difficult; leading to turnovers.
  • He does look awkward receiving the ball as he doesn't have very good hands. There is no way to make fumbling away the basketball not look awkward.
  • If he successfully receives the ball he still looks awkward because he can't jump high and every post possession with him is a struggle to get the ball over/around taller defenders.
  • He also looks awkward dribbling the basketball because he loses the ball often/gets it poked away when putting it on the floor.
  • He looks awkward when he catches the ball on the perimeter as he often pauses / second-guesses taking his 3 point shots. This leads to either contested shots as the defense has time to recover or more often awkward possessions of teammates. They don't expect someone so open not to shoot the ball and are surprised by the pass. His initial hesitation allows not just his defender to close the gap but the rest of the defense to rotate; meaning his teammate has less space to operate in as well.
  • Finally he looks very awkward shooting the 3 ball. It looks ugly because he is always so wide open that when he completely bricks or misses the hoop on a 3rd of his attempts it doesn't look normal. Because good shooters are normally far more accurate when they have so much time to gather and set their feet.

So yeah. He does look awkward. But it's not unfair to be down on him because that awkwardness goes hand in hand with outcomes that hurt the team.

Again. He can get away with a lot of the above against 2nd stringers. His expectations aren't as high. He can relax more. He matches up better physically against these players, etc. Why not put him in a position where he can succeed?

(Sorry for the rant here)

You forgot to mention how awful it looks when he tries to pump fake, but somehow end up jumping instead of faking it, resulting in a TO and he does that all the time.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,511

Post#28 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:15 pm

^^^^he does do that all the time lol

Return to Detroit Pistons