Number 5(yup)
59%

Total votes: 44

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Re: It's time! Ping-pong balls of doom. Sunday May 12th 3pm 

Post#21 » by zeebneeb » Fri May 10, 2024 11:45 pm

Just as an aside. After watching an insane amount of tape on the top guys, I think folks got it wrong. The biggest difference between this years draft, and last years is a stand out clear #1. I would argue that this draft has more boom or bust picks, but the talent is there.

I have a feeling that Reed Sheppard is going to be a damn good player, and from what I've heard, he is #2 on the Pistons big board.

I want the Pistons to land #1, then make trades to try and get back in the top 5.

Sarr/Sheppard

Cade
Sheppard
Tek
Sarr
Claxton

Yeah, I know, but hell, I can have dreams.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#22 » by NYPiston » Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 pm

I care less about this draft lottery than any other in Piston history but I'd still rather they get the #1 pick than the #5 pick for value purposes if nothing else. We all know the Pistons are drafting 4th or 5th anyway but I'll still hope for the lottery win regardless.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 10, 2024 11:58 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Just as an aside. After watching an insane amount of tape on the top guys, I think folks got it wrong. The biggest difference between this years draft, and last years is a stand out clear #1. I would argue that this draft has more boom or bust picks, but the talent is there.

I have a feeling that Reed Sheppard is going to be a damn good player, and from what I've heard, he is #2 on the Pistons big board.

I want the Pistons to land #1, then make trades to try and get back in the top 5.

Sarr/Sheppard

Cade
Sheppard
Tek
Sarr
Claxton

They should take Sheppard

He looks ready on both sides of the ball
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,856

Post#24 » by theBigLip » Sat May 11, 2024 3:35 am

Always interesting to watch. Regardless of which pick we get, I hope we can trade it for a 2025 FRP.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#25 » by zeebneeb » Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 am

theBigLip wrote:Always interesting to watch. Regardless of which pick we get, I hope we can trade it for a 2025 FRP.
You could have two top 5 picks in this draft, and I have sincere doubts a team that is guaranteed to be bad next year, say the Wizards, would trade it for both.

Next year has insane top end talent.
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#26 » by Phenomenonsense » Sat May 11, 2024 3:45 pm

5 is the most likely option. Everything else is a win, but that's the neutral outcome unfortunately.
crashnburn26
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#27 » by crashnburn26 » Sat May 11, 2024 8:13 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Just as an aside. After watching an insane amount of tape on the top guys, I think folks got it wrong. The biggest difference between this years draft, and last years is a stand out clear #1. I would argue that this draft has more boom or bust picks, but the talent is there.

Sarr/Sheppard

Cade
Sheppard
Tek
Sarr
Claxton

I actually don't disagree. People knock on this draft, but I think there is a solid amount of role players that will come from this. I see Dalton Knecht having a Jaquez like impact as well. As for drafting Reed, I'm not against it as long as we shop Ivey. I don't think we would maximize him as a prospect, especially under Monty's system. I really wish we kept Muscala, just because it would've been really fun seeing a lineup of Cade/Reed/Grimes/Tek/Muscala, or even Ausar in place of Grimes and have him be the roll man.

Back on topic, I can see a wide variety of the guys drafted this year having long and fruitful careers, even if they're not stars. The idea of Buzelis is an ideal 4 in todays NBA, Zacc is a 3&D wing, Clingan looks to be a good rim protector, I'm a big believer in Mccain translating just fine, and even Tristan Da Silva looks like someone who would be a good late lotto snag for a playoff team.

I have a strong feeling the take that this draft is mid will age poorly; the talent pool is generally only increasing, as well as the number of international prospects. The amount of stars that come from this may not be on par with the rest, but the depth will carry it.

Just come back to this post when we pick 4th and are left with odd fits like Clingan/Reed on the board
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#28 » by MortSahlfan » Sat May 11, 2024 8:49 pm

Who are the best defensive players? (regardless of position)?

I remember fans on the official message boards saying, "Lou Dort can't shoot", and I always feel guys who work THAT hard on defense will improve their 3pt %.. Lonzo Ball, and many others. I would draft the best defensive player and enjoy watching them bloom into a Josh Hart type.. Even the best 3pt shooters can go 3-18, but I've never seen the best defender play bad defense 15 out of 18 games.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Post#29 » by BDM22 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:28 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:Who are the best defensive players? (regardless of position)?

I remember fans on the official message boards saying, "Lou Dort can't shoot", and I always feel guys who work THAT hard on defense will improve their 3pt %.. Lonzo Ball, and many others. I would draft the best defensive player and enjoy watching them bloom into a Josh Hart type.. Even the best 3pt shooters can go 3-18, but I've never seen the best defender play bad defense 15 out of 18 games.

I've heard multiple draft people say that Ryan Dunn is the best defensive prospect they have ever scouted. He is projected as a late lotto pick and he has basically zero offensive ability. Great man-to-man against 1-4's, elite weak-side D, elite against P&R. Such a unique player at 6-8 with the swarming help D/recovery and crazy athleticism. But yeah, the issue is he has no offensive game to speak of. If he could hit 3's he'd be top-5 easily.

MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Sat May 11, 2024 11:30 pm

BDM22 wrote:

I've heard multiple draft people say that Ryan Dunn is the best defensive prospect they have ever scouted. He is projected as a late lotto pick and he has basically zero offensive ability.

At the top of the draft i assume it's Castle
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#31 » by Canadafan » Sat May 11, 2024 11:56 pm

BDM22 wrote:

I've heard multiple draft people say that Ryan Dunn is the best defensive prospect they have ever scouted. He is projected as a late lotto pick and he has basically zero offensive ability. Great man-to-man against 1-4's, elite weak-side D, elite against P&R. Such a unique player at 6-8 with the swarming help D/recovery and crazy athleticism. But yeah, the issue is he has no offensive game to speak of. If he could hit 3's he'd be top-5 easily.

6'8" with zero offensive ability you say? Sound like the worm!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:05 am

Canadafan wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

6'8" with zero offensive ability you say? Sound like the worm!

If we didn't just draft Ausar you could perhaps go out and get someone like this... but it really hurts to play a guy like this when we've got guys who aren't bucket getters already all over the roster.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#33 » by MotownMadness » Sun May 12, 2024 12:08 am

Yeah there's no way we can take a guy like that on this roster
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#34 » by The Moose » Sun May 12, 2024 12:21 am

I'm hoping we don't land in the top 2, not a Risacher fan, and very lukewarm on Sarr
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#35 » by vege » Sun May 12, 2024 12:28 am

The Moose wrote:I'm hoping we don't land in the top 2, not a Risacher fan, and very lukewarm on Sarr

#1 or #2 have bette trade value than #3-5.
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#36 » by Neptune » Sun May 12, 2024 12:31 am

Got us getting the #1 pick. Think we'll end up trading it for proven talent though.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#37 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun May 12, 2024 1:09 am

The NBA will find a way to gift one of their preferred Markets and shaft Detroit. Probalby be pick 3 thru 5 for consolation prize.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,148

Post#38 » by bstein14 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:25 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:The NBA will find a way to gift one of their preferred Markets and shaft Detroit. Probalby be pick 3 thru 5 for consolation prize.

I've got this feeling the Spurs will get back-to-back #1s to add another young French star to the mix.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 755

Post#39 » by A_dub06 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 am

MotownMadness wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

I've heard multiple draft people say that Ryan Dunn is the best defensive prospect they have ever scouted. He is projected as a late lotto pick and he has basically zero offensive ability.

At the top of the draft i assume it's Castle

I reckon Sarr
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#40 » by NYPiston » Sun May 12, 2024 3:03 am

zeebneeb wrote:

Just curious, where did you hear this?

I don't know how anybody can have Pistons intel when we have no idea who will be making the decision come draft time.

Return to Detroit Pistons