ImageImageImage

Stuckey=Carlos Arroyo

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#21 » by Liqourish » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:23 am

Stuckey was in the game for 10 minutes, going against Bibby, Martin, Miller, Artest, Salmons, Moore and Beno.

During that time, Pistons got outscored by 15 pts. 4 of those pts were uncontested dunks by Moore when Dice lost his man. 4 of the remaining 11 pts were from Kevin Martin free throws on shooting fouls on Rip and Sheed. Bringings the total down to 8. Bibby had a 3 in the corner when Rip tried to help Sheed in the post... looky there, being outscored by 5 with Stuckey in the game... alot less than 15-17 when you break it down to who was actually doing the defending huh? :wink:

I'm not saying Rodney was blameless, he had two shooting fouls on Martin that led to four free throws and he gave up a Martin bucket as soon as Stuck entered the game, but to blame those entire 10 minutes on the man is just wrong.

Every Piston played a part in that loss and they all deserve the credit. :nod:
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#22 » by Dirtgrain » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:38 am

Damn fine break down, Liqourish.

As for Afflallo, I wanted to see him on Artest. I know Artest could overpower him. But I see Afflallo not backing down. He even might have been able to frustrate Artest.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
captainrebel
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Re: Stuckey=Carlos Arroyo 

Post#23 » by captainrebel » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Chuck Nevicic wrote:No jump shot.

Can get to the basket but can't finish.

Just stands around dribbling.

Another great Dumars draft pick

You have got to be kidding me! If Darko had shown as much balls as Stucky does in his limited amount of playing time he still would have been a Piston. Stucky will learn. I refuse to believe Stucky will be anything like Darko. Has he even played 12 hours of NBA game? Give the kid a break! He will develop a jump shot! He will dribble less and make good decisions and less errors. And he will learn to finish or pass the rock off when he gets to the rim.
Chuck Nevicic
Junior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Chuck Nevicic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Liqourish wrote:Stuckey was in the game for 10 minutes, going against Bibby, Martin, Miller, Artest, Salmons, Moore and Beno.

During that time, Pistons got outscored by 15 pts. 4 of those pts were uncontested dunks by Moore when Dice lost his man. 4 of the remaining 11 pts were from Kevin Martin free throws on shooting fouls on Rip and Sheed. Bringings the total down to 8. Bibby had a 3 in the corner when Rip tried to help Sheed in the post... looky there, being outscored by 5 with Stuckey in the game... alot less than 15-17 when you break it down to who was actually doing the defending huh? :wink:

I'm not saying Rodney was blameless, he had two shooting fouls on Martin that led to four free throws and he gave up a Martin bucket as soon as Stuck entered the game, but to blame those entire 10 minutes on the man is just wrong.

Every Piston played a part in that loss and they all deserve the credit. :nod:

How many points did the Pistons score with Suckey running the point?
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by Dirtgrain » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 pm

It doesn't seem like Stuckey is being told to "run" the point; rather, it seems like he has been told to bring the ball up court, pass it to someone else, and then get out of the way for isolation plays. That's a pretty frequent scenario when he's in the game.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#26 » by Liqourish » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:23 pm

How many points did the Pistons score with Suckey running the point?

Would running the point count as bringing the ball up and passing it to Chauncey, or bringing the ball up and passing it off to Rip? :wink:

As for how many points were scored while he was in the game, 9 pts. Billups 3, Sheed 2 (Stuckey assist), Max 2 pts, and Rip 2 FT.

During that stretch, Hayes missed 2 shots, Chauncey missed two shots, Rodney missed two shots, Sheed, Tay, Rip, Dice and Max all missed a bucket as well.

Like I've stated, it was a well-reounded let down. Everyone contributed.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,964

Post#27 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Liqourish wrote:Stuckey was in the game for 10 minutes, going against Bibby, Martin, Miller, Artest, Salmons, Moore and Beno.

During that time, Pistons got outscored by 15 pts. 4 of those pts were uncontested dunks by Moore when Dice lost his man. 4 of the remaining 11 pts were from Kevin Martin free throws on shooting fouls on Rip and Sheed. Bringings the total down to 8.

15-4-4=7

Not having seen the game (fortunately), I suspect that Arroyo would've given up an and-1 where Stuckey wouldn't have. :)
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#28 » by Liqourish » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Not having seen the game (fortunately), I suspect that Arroyo would've given up an and-1 where Stuckey wouldn't have. :)

If Lindsey Hunter held Kevin Martin to just 6 pts in 10 minutes, everyone would be singing his praises, but Stuckey gives up 6 pts to Martin and suddenly he's Arroyo.

Thanks for the math lesson, it was early and I was still hung over form last night. :D
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#29 » by BDM22 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:59 pm

Another factor in all of this is Stuckey's bench teammates. Jarvis has gotten some wide open looks lately, and in his last 4 games he is 2-for-23. That is a lot of wasted possessions. He hasn't scored over 4 points since the game @Toronto a few weeks ago (also the last really good game the bench played). When he's on, the bench is unstoppable. The problem is he's the streakiest dude I've ever seen. Plus Maxiell has been struggling offensively as of late (he admitted to being tired the other day).

So while the blame will inevitably be placed (by media and fans) on the Rook, there are many other factors involved.
Kyrama
RealGM
And1: 649

Post#30 » by Kyrama » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Sure...Make Stuckey the scape-goat for the whole team sucking.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#31 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:56 am

How is the whole team sucking?
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Dirtgrain » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:14 am

The whole team is sucking.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#33 » by Drwho17 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Send Stuckey to the D-League. He can't be playing meaningful minutes for the Pistons right now, he can't shoot/defend/finish or distribute right now. He's killing the Pistons second unit, and pounds the ball worse then Carlos Arroyo did. I'm not sure if he will pan out or not now, he appears too slow and unathletic for the NBA. Send him to the D-League and let him work on his game down there for a while, he needs to be humbled, then have his confidence reassembled. We all know he's not going to be playing for the Pistons come playoff time anyway.
Drwho17
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Drwho17 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Kyrama wrote:Sure...Make Stuckey the scape-goat for the whole team sucking.

He's been a big part of it, rather then the Pistons building on their first quarters and taking charge in the second quarter, the opposite is happening, mostly because the offense grinds to a halt once Stuckey starts running the offense.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#35 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:00 pm

Drwho17 wrote:Send Stuckey to the D-League. He can't be playing meaningful minutes for the Pistons right now, he can't shoot/defend/finish or distribute right now. He's killing the Pistons second unit, and pounds the ball worse then Carlos Arroyo did. I'm not sure if he will pan out or not now, he appears too slow and unathletic for the NBA. Send him to the D-League and let him work on his game down there for a while, he needs to be humbled, then have his confidence reassembled. We all know he's not going to be playing for the Pistons come playoff time anyway.

Funny, none of this was said when Stuckey was playing during our 11 game win streak.

Stuckey has looked good sometimes, and struggled other times. It's just part of being a rookie. He's done a decent job defending, and he's shown flashes of potential. Let him work through his problems, and don't send him to the D-League unless you want to actually set him back rather than develop him. He needs to play against NBA level talent, not put him against essentially college level talent.

And we still have 41 games before the playoffs. Who's to say who will be playing for us and who will be on our playoff roster by that time.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#36 » by princeofpalace » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 pm

Stuckey seemed to be playing his game more during the Chicago game, he was more oppourtunistic with his drives, although he still has trouble finishing. I remember him getting blocked a few times and others he just missed the pointblank layup.

Stuckey is coming from playing against extremly weak competition in the Big Sky? Division to coming to the NBA. So I think there is a HUGE difference in the athleticism of the players, even more so than if he went to a BSC school. He needs to adjust to it. Its not his lack of athleticism- because wasnt he a top 10 measured athlete at the combine, its just gonna take some getting used to.

Maybe the fact that he has been missing his layups has been a factor of why he has just been passing the ball off, he doesnt appear to have that confidence yet. But hopefully it comes soon.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#37 » by BDM22 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Drwho17 wrote: I'm not sure if he will pan out or not now, he appears too slow and unathletic for the NBA.

Too slow? Of all the flaws he has shown, that is not one of them.
Chuck Nevicic
Junior
And1: 1

Post#38 » by Chuck Nevicic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:58 pm

I think we should start Stuckey over Billups. Stuckey's weaknesses would be masked by playing along with the starters and Chauncey would be able to improve the production of everyone on the bench.
“[Your English] depends on where you start in the NBA,” said Nesterovic. “I started in Minnesota, he [Brezec] started in Indiana. That’s a pretty tough organization to pick up English.”
Drwho17
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Drwho17 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:06 am

BDM22 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Too slow? Of all the flaws he has shown, that is not one of them.

Yes, he can't get to the hoop, he does seem to be able to beat his man, but by the time he gets to the hoop, he can't even manage to get his shot up on the glass. Maybe he needs to develop a teardrop, or pull up sometime, rather then putting his head down and getting stuffed every time.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#40 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 am

While it is certainly too soon to pass judgement, I have been disappointed in what I have seen in Stuckey so far. Pointguard is a hard position to play in the NBA, especially hard trying to learn the position on a true contender. I wonder what he'd be doing if he was playing for a sad sack team where he could try and take over games.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.

Return to Detroit Pistons