ImageImageImage

theBigLip Piston Blowup plan for 2008-09

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#21 » by roc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:33 pm

JustinSane wrote:If we do want to blow it up, I'd look at something like Sheed for Kwame + Ariza or Kwame + Crittendon and a 1st. Sheed could put the Lakers over the top. Kwame expires and Ariza and Crittendon are both good. This frees up space for both Samb and Amir in the rotation.
I was thinking Sheed/Rip/Dice for Bynum/Kwame/Mihm/Sasha/Crittenton/Vlad

LA would not want to lose Bynum but if they run with:

Fisher/Rip/Kobe/Odom/Sheed with Dice off the bench they become a very scary team to contend with. I think they would have a few shots at the title with that lineup. Would it be enough for them to give us Bynum though?

Here is a 3 way with Atlanta/Charlotte as well to follow up (or precede) the LA deal. FWIW the Atlanta fans seemed very receptive to my Prince/Hayes/Murray for Williams/Chill/Speedy deal so getting back Ammo as well (assuming they would want him for free that is) is just icing on the cake (or not).

Detroit:

Billups/Tay/Murray/Hayes for Wallace/M Williams or Chill/Harrington/Anderson/Speedy

Charlotte:

Wallace/Ammo/Harrington/Anderson for Billups/Marvin or Chilldress

Atlanta:

Marvin/Chill/Speedy for Tay/Hayes/Murray/Ammo

We end up with Vlad and Speedy as dead weight but are stocked with youth.

Stuckey/Critt/Afflalo/Chill or Marvin/Crash/Maxiell/Amir/Bynum/Samb looks like a promising future to me.

I tried to do a Billups for Devin Harris but that would have to wait until Billups (BYC) and Harris (PPP) status change as no combinations seem to work in the trade checker as it now stands.

We could also make a play for a top 3 draft pick if the right team gets one of those picks although I highly doubt that would be a possibility.

We are still a title contender as is though so...
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,904

Post#22 » by theBigLip » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Low-Ki wrote:The Billups for Iverson deal wasn't a deal to do know, but rather a summer deal. Chauncey will lose the BYC status once the season ends.

Dumars tried to acquire Iverson once previously (damn you Matt Geiger) and I would just love the idea of Stuckey patterning himself more after AI than Billups.

Teams don't trade young studs for old studs. AI and Sheed would be expiring deals, if it didn't work out, both walk and we have a **** of capspace that off-season. You have a better chance of rebuilding though FA - landing the superstar there, then you do have trading for a young one.

Yup :nod:
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by roc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:56 pm

theBigLip wrote:Yup :nod:

Nope :noway:

Boston pulled off 2 such deals this offseason, granted the teams they dealt with were in pretty bad shape to start with and Garnett >>> any Piston.

You can get youth if you pay the price (overpay in other words) and deal with a team like LA that wants to win NOW.
Train Wreck
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#24 » by Train Wreck » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 am

theBigLip wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yup :nod:

It is far easier to get a superstar through a trade than it is through free agency....

The only way to get a young superstar is through the draft...
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,191

Post#25 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:00 pm

If I were to blow it up after this offseason after another disappointing playoff loss.

I'd be looking to trade Prince first and foremost.

I almost like a 1-2-3 of Billups, Afflalo, and Rlip more.

If we're blowing it up we could still keep Billups, Rip, Stuckey, Afflalo, Max, and Amir.

Dice and Sheed would be in the final year of their deals so moving them for picks/young talent/ and also expiring contracts would work.

Those 6 players will be on the books for $30 million and Max will be a RFA in the summer of 09.

Basically we could use that cap room to bring in someone to play next to Max, and possibly a better option at SF than Rip or Afflalo.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#26 » by theBigLip » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:45 pm

r0cd0gg wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nope :noway:

Boston pulled off 2 such deals this offseason, granted the teams they dealt with were in pretty bad shape to start with and Garnett >>> any Piston.

You can get youth if you pay the price (overpay in other words) and deal with a team like LA that wants to win NOW.

This is a "Yup" in terms of letting Sheed and AI walk if it doesn't work. I still like this idea. We get a big expiring deal, Billups gets to go back home to Denver.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#27 » by RTM » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 pm

Bibby? No. Just no.

I do think that getting AI would push us over the top (again), but believe it would be better to pair him with Chauncey.

Therefore, I propose:

DEN Sends: AI, Najera, 1st
DEN Receives: Rip, Miller

PHI Sends: Miller, Booth
PHI Receives: Murray, Hermann, Brezec, Najera, 1st

DET Sends: Rip, Murray, Hermann, Brezec
DET Receives: AI, Booth

This would be a deadline deal if Denver agrees to deal AI.

DET ROSTER

Billups/Stuckey/Hunter
AI/Afflalo
Prince/Hayes
McDyess/Maxiell/Amir
Wallace/Webber (would be signed to fill a roster spot)/Samb/Booth

I like the way that team looks (we could still sign a vet 2/3 to round out the roster). PHI gets cap relief (to go after Smith or Okafor) and a pick, while DEN improves by plugging in Miller and Rip to their starting lineup.

And as mentioned, if AI coming here doesn't work well, he and Sheed expire at the same time, giving us HUGE cap relief. Then we could deal Billups and rebuild (or keep him around to stabilize the "new" team).
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,120

Post#28 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Billups has done nothing thus far to suggest we made a mistake extending him, so why trade him for a clear downgrade in the name of flexibility?

Doesnt jive at all for me.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#29 » by theBigLip » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Like I said to start this thread, I was a little bored, but the reasoning would be to free up some cap space and create a younger team. Billups has been solid, but he is over 30. He will not likely be traded, and he likely will play solid throughout his contract.

Still, AI expires next year, would be an interesting side show for a year, and we move another old guy (McDyess) at the same time. In another year, we would have big options with AI and Sheed expiring. $34mil off the books makes a big difference. I just wonder what Joe could do with that kind of cap room.
LanierFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#30 » by LanierFan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 am

Sorry I came in late. When are they going to blow you up, Lip?
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by roc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:30 am

LanierFan wrote:Sorry I came in late. When are they going to blow you up, Lip?

I feel a name change coming 'Way Huge Lip' perhaps, or maybe simplify things and go with 'Botox'? :D

LOL just playing with ya Big Lip, couldn't resist passing up the opening LanierFan left us.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#32 » by theBigLip » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:23 pm

LOL myself.

One thing about the NBA that excites me is possible trades. And it is rather boring if the only trade we need to worry about is upgrading our backup SF, or getting a backup bigman (who can't play because he would take away minutes from Max or Amir), so occasionally I'll "think outside the box" and come up with a few whoppers. Got to keep it fresh around here and I don't mind getting teased for it.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by roc » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:07 pm

theBigLip wrote:LOL myself.

One thing about the NBA that excites me is possible trades. And it is rather boring if the only trade we need to worry about is upgrading our backup SF, or getting a backup bigman (who can't play because he would take away minutes from Max or Amir), so occasionally I'll "think outside the box" and come up with a few whoppers. Got to keep it fresh around here and I don't mind getting teased for it.

I hear ya, we are in the same boat. I like coming up with crazy scenarios for fun as well, no harm in that. Just make sure that every crazy deal dreamt up has us getting Gerald Wallace somehow and we're all good. :D
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#34 » by srt4b » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:43 am

Howards FTs are Ben Wallace bad.

Return to Detroit Pistons