Grimes for Moody
Draft Buselis

We go

Cunningham/Ivey
Moody/Monk
Thompson/Buselis
Fontechio/Bol Bol
Duran/ Stewart

We would still have more money to spend.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Re: Free Agency 

Post#282 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:29 pm

Not sure Monk is good enough on defense to be a good longterm fit next to Cade.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 105

Post#283 » by SuperBad » Thu May 16, 2024 4:31 pm

How about Monk, Fontechio, Bol Bol
Grimes for Moody
Draft Buselis

We go

Cunningham/Ivey
Moody/Monk
Thompson/Buselis
Fontechio/Bol Bol
Duran/ Stewart
SuperBad
Junior

Post#284 » by SuperBad » Thu May 16, 2024 4:32 pm

Well Monks not great on defense I think we could get him and he’s the best out there I think we could get, Moody and Ausar are good wing defenders along with Cade
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,087

Post#285 » by Snakebites » Thu May 16, 2024 5:18 pm

Really need to hope there's some unknown trade out there.

Even under the best case scenario with free agency and the draft it's hard to see this team breaking 25 wins.

And lets face it. 25 wins would be progress at this point...
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,340

Post#286 » by vege » Thu May 16, 2024 6:31 pm

SuperBad wrote:How about Monk, Fontechio, Bol Bol
Grimes for Moody
Draft Buselis

We go

Cunningham/Ivey
Moody/Monk
Thompson/Buselis
Fontechio/Bol Bol
Duran/ Stewart

15-17 win team, maybe less depending on injuries.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#287 » by NYPiston » Thu May 16, 2024 7:00 pm

I know that the franchise is awful and I get the fan sentiment illustrating that fact over and over again but it gets a bit grating to read doom and gloom in every post from some folks (not everybody) and, in fairness, I've been one of those doom and gloomers as well at times but I don't know I think I'd prefer if we could talk more about potential solutions rather than stating for the millionth time that the franchise is doomed for ever and ever.

People can post what they want so I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but it's just how I personally feel about the direction this forum is headed in.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,897

Post#288 » by theBigLip » Thu May 16, 2024 8:43 pm

NYPiston wrote:I know that the franchise is awful and I get the fan sentiment illustrating that fact over and over again but it gets a bit grating to read doom and gloom in every post from some folks (not everybody) and, in fairness, I've been one of those doom and gloomers as well at times but I don't know I think I'd prefer if we could talk more about potential solutions rather than stating for the millionth time that the franchise is doomed for ever and ever.

People can post what they want so I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but it's just how I personally feel about the direction this forum is headed in.

I totally agree. I’m much more interested in possible moves going forward. It doesn’t take much effort to say we sucked last year. But that seems about all that some people can post.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,524

Post#289 » by Canadafan » Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 am

NYPiston wrote:I know that the franchise is awful and I get the fan sentiment illustrating that fact over and over again but it gets a bit grating to read doom and gloom in every post from some folks (not everybody) and, in fairness, I've been one of those doom and gloomers as well at times but I don't know I think I'd prefer if we could talk more about potential solutions rather than stating for the millionth time that the franchise is doomed for ever and ever.

Understatement of the year lol. Its gotten pretty bad around here I agree
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,181

Post#290 » by bstein14 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:14 am

Garland would be risky just because his fit with Cade might be similar to his fit with Mitchell. Garland is getting paid max money and he's a fringe max player IMO. We are in a spot where its worth the risk to a degree but I wouldn't be surprised if Monk($20) + Tyus($17) would be a better use of $37 million guard play than absorbing the $37 million that Garland is owed next year. Of course Monk and Tyus might get much bigger deals than that which we won't know until we get to early July.
SuperBad
Junior

Post#291 » by SuperBad » Fri May 17, 2024 3:55 am

I think we’re going to have to pay big for someone even at the Monk level, we will have to pay too much, but we have to get a shooter.
Monk, Fontechio, moody, Bol are all have a little upside over what we’ve seen and all but Monk want more opportunity, I know it’s not a play in team unless everyone breaks right, but they are all better than livers, Bagley, Hayes, Knox, and Muscala and others, There better players, that fit better around Cade and there is at least three shooters there, I think 17-19 wins is low, I think the group added to our kids and Cade could catch teams off guard, we’re not going that far anyways it’s just about being relevant next year, I don’t think there’s a realistic plan that gets us to even 35 wins without blowing it all on some vets at the end of there careers like tbe Blake scenario. I do expect Duran, Cade, and Ivey all to become a least a little more proficient in year three as most guys do, as well.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 479

Post#292 » by Crymson » Fri May 17, 2024 5:51 am

vege wrote:15-17 win team, maybe less depending on injuries.

It takes effort to win as few as 15-17 games. In the case of this last season, that effort was the NBA's worst coach in decades taking a giant sledgehammer to the team's fortunes on a nightly basis.

If Monty is still here throughout next season, then less than 20 wins is on the table. Otherwise, highly doubtful.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,087

Post#293 » by Snakebites » Fri May 17, 2024 6:17 am

I don’t take it the wrong way. I get it.

I’d love to talk about realistic potential solutions. I just think those solutions involve baby steps. Probably involve making some underwhelming or overpaying signings or trades that at the very least flesh out the roster with rotation quality vets. Teams don’t quickly become good after 14 wins. They just don’t.

The post I had earlier on this page wasn’t optimistic but it was genuine. We could do the “best” possible version of this offseason and get 25 wins. And that WOULD be progress.

I DON’T think we’re “doomed forever and ever”. What I DO think is that there’s a road ahead that is longer than people are going to be happy with. Furthermore, I still haven’t seen enough evidence that we’re even on that road facing in the right direction yet. That’s real.

We’ve got a pit to climb out of. I hope they get the ropes ready.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,570

Post#294 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 17, 2024 7:26 am

Sign Bridges from Charlotte so I can finally completely check out on this team.

We have deliberately tanked the entire time Weaver has been GM and it's failed for obvious reasons:

If you create a losing environment deliberately then you will produce losers.

And that is precisely what we have done here.

There's no need for essays and overly complicated analysis. Life is simple.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,524

Post#295 » by Canadafan » Fri May 17, 2024 1:57 pm

:wink: Report: Raptors likely to trade Brown around draft
https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2913815

I'll give them a 2nd round pick for him
JNewton
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#296 » by JNewton » Fri May 17, 2024 2:37 pm

Snakebites wrote:

I don’t take it the wrong way. I get it.

I’d love to talk about realistic potential solutions. I just think those solutions involve baby steps. Probably involve making some underwhelming or overpaying signings or trades that at the very least flesh out the roster with rotation quality vets. Teams don’t quickly become good after 14 wins. They just don’t.

The post I had earlier on this page wasn’t optimistic but it was genuine. We could do the “best” possible version of this offseason and get 25 wins. And that WOULD be progress.

I DON’T think we’re “doomed forever and ever”. What I DO think is that there’s a road ahead that is longer than people are going to be happy with. Furthermore, I still haven’t seen enough evidence that we’re even on that road facing in the right direction yet. That’s real.

We’ve got a pit to climb out of. I hope they get the ropes ready.

Right now the Pistons are still falling more deeply into the pit. Hopefully that will change with a solid POBO hire and some well-thought moves, but there are no quick solutions here. It's going to be a climb.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#297 » by bstein14 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:02 pm

Canadafan wrote::wink: Report: Raptors likely to trade Brown around draft

He looked very good playing alongside Durant/Kyrie/Harden and good playing with an all-time great passer in Jokic but he was lackluster in Indy and Toronto. Not really worth the $22.5 million contract he is being paid. Weaver also pretty much gave him away for nothing so I'm not sure he'd take him for free at $22.5 million.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he can play winning basketball but he's more MLE $ range than $20+ per money. He's a bit like the SG version of Stew.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,774

Post#298 » by Cowology » Fri May 17, 2024 3:23 pm

bstein14 wrote:

He looked very good playing alongside Durant/Kyrie/Harden and good playing with an all-time great passer in Jokic but he was lackluster in Indy and Toronto. Not really worth the $22.5 million contract he is being paid. Weaver also pretty much gave him away for nothing so I'm not sure he'd take him for free at $22.5 million.

Don't get me wrong, I still think he can play winning basketball but he's more MLE $ range than $20+ per money. He's a bit like the SG version of Stew.
I think this is correct... but consider Houston's strategy in overpaying Dillon Brooks. I'm not saying Brown is necessarily that guy, but bringing in some scrappy veterans to supplement the young core isn't the worst thing that could happen. I wouldn't wanna sign him to a 4 year deal at big money, but he's not a long term commitment. In fact, the 3 yr deal we gave him was the longest contract he's had during his career. It's a short-term help me now move.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#299 » by bstein14 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:26 pm

Cowology wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

I think this is correct... but consider Houston's strategy in overpaying Dillon Brooks. I'm not saying Brown is necessarily that guy, but bringing in some scrappy veterans to supplement the young core isn't the worst thing that could happen. I wouldn't wanna sign him to a 4 year deal at big money, but he's not a long term commitment. In fact, the 3 yr deal we gave him was the longest contract he's had during his career. It's a short-term help me now move.

I'm not super opposed to giving up our 2024 2nd rounder for Brown. It's a minimal risk move for a one year deal. It's a bit like getting Monte Morris from Washington for a 2nd rounder except it eats into even more cap space..... Ideally though I think we'd almost certainly be better served getting "the right" FA signed to a 3 or 4 year deal instead of spending $22.5 million on Brown.

If you can get the right FA, that'a s better move. If you sign Tobias Harris to 3 years $90 million we're better off just getting Brown on a one year deal.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,402

Post#300 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:27 pm

Brown's contract is only 1 year (and it's a team option). If Raptors wanted to trade him for basically nothing, they could just decline the option. I don't think finances are a good reason to go for him or not, though, if it's that short of a contract. If you re-sign him longterm, it'd be for less per year.

Return to Detroit Pistons