A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 753

Re: Miles Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#41 » by A_dub06 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:14 am

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
I'm very confused. I wasn't responding to you. I know you don't want him.

With that said, my original version of this post was very poorly worded. I've since edited that first part to make more clear what I was saying. I wasn't saying that I thought posters were okay with what he did. I meant to say that MILES is okay with what he did, but I articulated that very poorly- your interpretation of my original words was a totally fair one.
I only bolded that part so it would be clear anything that even appeared like defense of him had nothing to do with me wanting him. And if you edited it, then I digress.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Yeah. With that said, my original response to GreekAlex was terribly written, and I'll own that.

I haven't personally seen anyone outright defending what he has done, at least not here on the Realgm Pistons board. The closest I've seen (and not from you) is people attacking the character of his accuser and saying things like "there are two sides to everything". But I've only seen that from one poster on these boards and don't think it represents what most people on these boards who are open to acquiring him think.

There's a valid discussion to be had about forgiveness, and what we as a fanbase should be willing to tolerate in terms of immoral behavior from the members of the organization we support. Unfortunately, supporting just about every large corporation or organization requires some level of moral compromise in today's world, and it's fair to discuss where that line should be.

I happen to believe that what Miles did falls on the other side of that line, and I take exception to people implying that my concern about these issues is simply being "triggered" as Greek Alex suggested.

Pretty sure that was me, and if my memory is correct I noted the point about her coming to his house after the every incidents/assault or however it should be phrased with their kids and breaking things like windows trying to gain access whilst he was telling her to go, summarising with them both being nut jobs. And I never deemed his actions acceptable in any form so if it was me you are referring to I disagree about the “attacking her character” part since there is factual evidence of her being trash.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,951

Re: Mikal Bridges - trade deadline version 

Post#42 » by Uncle Mxy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:27 pm

I wouldn't mind Mikal Bridges. It'd be a shame to give up Ivey, Harris, and a pick, but totally worth it.
I'm sure Brokelyn will do fine, though, with Ben Simmons' clutch play.

Oh, you meant MILES Bridges? F that noise!
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#43 » by theBigLip » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:I wouldn't mind Mikal Bridges. It'd be a shame to give up Ivey, Harris, and a pick, but totally worth it.

Mikal is what we need Ivey to grow into. If it’s just Ivey and a pick and filler, I’d do it for sure
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#44 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:18 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:I wouldn't mind Mikal Bridges. It'd be a shame to give up Ivey, Harris, and a pick, but totally worth it.

Mikal is what we need Ivey to grow into. If it’s just Ivey and a pick and filler, I’d do it for sure

I'm not sure their games are similar enough for that to be a reasonable expectation ... For instance, isn't Mikal regarded as one of the best wing defenders in the league?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,026

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:26 pm

Mikal and Ivey couldn't be more different. Even if Ivey develops into exactly the best version of himself it would still not resemble Bridges in the slightest.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#46 » by DetroitSho » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:16 pm

theBigLip wrote:

You had to have meant Ausar.

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#47 » by BDM22 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:18 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
Yeah and I am saying whoever trade for him will bring him back. Utah is either interested or being used as leverage, and they have cap space. There are other teams with cap space or that could get cap space that could trade for him.

If we trade for him, we will have an agreement to extend him.

If Utah does, they will have an agreement.

If he stays in Charlotte they will extend him.

So our ability to outbid temas without cap space is irrelevant imo.

Sorry, but that’s not accurate. From the article on RealGM:

Bridges has a no-trade clause for this season, because he will lose his Bird Rights if he's traded. This is because Bridges is on a one-year deal with Bird Rights following this season. Because he'll be looking for a bigger contract than his Non-Bird Rights would allow for, Bridges would be considered a rest-of-season rental by Phoenix.

So we have more ability to trade and sign him versus the Suns or any other team over the cap. THEY CAN’T EXTEND HIM. Therefore, Bridges isn’t waiving his no-trade clause for Phoenix. He wants his future team to have his Bird rights (Charlotte) or some team with cap space (Detroit and a few others). We certainly have an advantage.

What is not accurate? I never mentioned Phoenix, I mentioned Utah and they have cap space and Charlotte who also can extend him. So what exactly is not accurate? It's not difficult to understand.

Utah is more tricky because they'll have to renegotiate Lauri's contract if they don't want to risk Lauri becoming a free agent. So some of their cap space will be tied up with that, I assume.

I guess if they managed to get expirings for Collins they'd have space for both. Also depends on Bridges' value, which is impossible for me to gauge at this point.

I don't really believe in the "agreement" stuff though. There can be no legally binding "agreement". We've seen this backfire before. A lot can happen between a trade and the opening day of free agency.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#48 » by theBigLip » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:18 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I’m still a crazy optimist that Ivey can be a star on both ends of the floor.

And I’m not sure what’s more likely - Ausar learning to shoot or Ivey learning to play D
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,323

Post#49 » by vege » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 am

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Sorry, but that’s not accurate. From the article on RealGM:

So we have more ability to trade and sign him versus the Suns or any other team over the cap. THEY CAN’T EXTEND HIM. Therefore, Bridges isn’t waiving his no-trade clause for Phoenix. He wants his future team to have his Bird rights (Charlotte) or some team with cap space (Detroit and a few others). We certainly have an advantage.

What is not accurate? I never mentioned Phoenix, I mentioned Utah and they have cap space and Charlotte who also can extend him. So what exactly is not accurate? It's not difficult to understand.

Utah is more tricky because they'll have to renegotiate Lauri's contract if they don't want to risk Lauri becoming a free agent. So some of their cap space will be tied up with that, I assume.

I guess if they managed to get expirings for Collins they'd have space for both. Also depends on Bridges' value, which is impossible for me to gauge at this point.

I don't really believe in the "agreement" stuff though. There can be no legally binding "agreement". We've seen this backfire before. A lot can happen between a trade and the opening day of free agency.

OG will stay in NY
Siakam will stay in Indy

That's 100%.

During the draft the Knicks knew 100% for sure they were getting Brunson.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#50 » by BDM22 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:34 am

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:

OG will stay in NY
Siakam will stay in Indy

That's 100%.

During the draft the Knicks knew 100% for sure they were getting Brunson.

We're talking about Miles Bridges though, not OG and Siakam who both had teams pay significant value there and will be offering more than anyone else (and are playoff teams) because of the value they gave up. Miles Bridges is a guy that will be had for a fraction of what OG and Siakam got, and his free agent market value has a huge range. Even a team like Phoenix wants him even though they have no way of re-signing him. Much different scenario.

And I wouldn't put OG and Siakam at "100%" because, again, a lot can happen. Still very high because they are good situations for those players, but it's more like 98%. Relationships can sour. Unrestricted is unrestricted. Kyrie promised he was re-signing in Boston after they traded for him, then he decided he'd rather play with KD in New York. Miles Bridges is a wild card. He can be had cheap enough that a team would risk trading for him without any sort of faux "agreement" to re-sign him.

And the Knicks knew they were getting Brunson because they had an in with his family and knew what Dallas was willing to pay.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:47 am

theBigLip wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

And I’m not sure what’s more likely - Ausar learning to shoot or Ivey learning to play D

Their offensive games are completely different though. And Ivey is 2 inches shorter, but the difference is a lot more pronouced than that when one considers Bridges' armspan. Even if Ivey figures it out defensively he won't be like Mikal defensively either.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,323

Post#52 » by vege » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:50 am

All Phoenix have are 4 distant 2nds. 3 of them in 28 and 29. They're not a serious name to acquire anyone.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#53 » by Snakebites » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:00 am

vege wrote:All Phoenix have are 4 distant 2nds. 3 of them in 28 and 29. They're not a serious name to acquire anyone.

Yeah that's as all-in as I've ever seen a team.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,240

Post#54 » by MrBigShot » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:06 am

I'll never root for a guy like that, dude should be in prison.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#55 » by DetroitSho » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:36 am

theBigLip wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I guess I'm with you on Ivey's potential. It's just the comparison to Bridges is weird as their games and roles are completely different.

I haven't looked, but how was Donovan Mitchell's shooting his first couple of years. I think Mitchell would be the comp and someone's game Ivey could emulate. Mitchell has become somebody that can get hot from deep.

DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#56 » by DetroitSho » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:38 am

MrBigShot wrote:I'll never root for a guy like that, dude should be in prison.
Chances are, you already do.

NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,269

Post#57 » by NYPiston » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:01 am

GreekAlex wrote:
5. I remember how different I was in my early 20's and I believe most people deserve second chances.

Yes, I'm sure you and others here including myself made some bad decisions in their early 20s but I'm sure those decisions weren't beating up women and then violating court orders afterwards. There's a big difference between "doing stupid **** in your early 20s" and doing what Bridges did and just chalking that up to him being immature but....I digress.

In any event, I hope another team takes a chance on him but that's just my opinion.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#58 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:01 am

DetroitSho wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:You had to have meant Ausar.

I guess I'm with you on Ivey's potential. It's just the comparison to Bridges is weird as their games and roles are completely different.

I haven't looked, but how was Donovan Mitchell's shooting his first couple of years. I think Mitchell would be the comp and someone's game Ivey could emulate. Mitchell has become somebody that can get hot from deep.

D.Mitch everyone knew from day one he was gonna be a multi time all star ITL. Another huge miss by our FO that could of changed direction for this team.

He shot 34% 3pt year 1 then improved year 2 to 36% and has been in the 36-38% high volume area.

I think just as if not more important is FT shooting as that shows shooting mechanics at a higher volume. D.Mitch came in at 80% and improved to that 86% range. D.Mitch really improved every year from college through years in the pros his work ethic has always been said to be huge.

Ivey came in at 34% but has declined to 32% year two. His FTs went from 75% to 73%. Ivey shot 74% from the line in college as well. His 3pter improved from 26% as a freshman to 36%(college line) in his return to school.

With his mom being a coach and all the work he put into shooting when he returned to school gotta question the ceiling on improving much from here.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#59 » by BDM22 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:39 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

With his mom being a coach and all the work he put into shooting when he returned to school gotta question the ceiling on improving much from here.

So when your mom's a coach you hit your ceiling at 21?! :-?
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#60 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:18 am

BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:I guess I'm with you on Ivey's potential. It's just the comparison to Bridges is weird as their games and roles are completely different.

So when your mom's a coach you hit your ceiling at 21?! :-?

His ceiling on shooting(you know what the whole post is about and replying to a post about) figuring he already went back to school and reworked his mechanics and made a huge jump in that area. Sometimes really athletic or big guys are raw on shooting because they dont need to rely on it until they get ITL but being a coaches son hes been taught all the fundamentals from a young age.

He turns 22 in two weeks he hasnt improved at all year one to year two there. He will get better obv but I dont see another huge jump like he had year 1-2 in college being very likely.

Return to Detroit Pistons