ImageImageImage

Trade w/Utah

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Re: Trade w/Utah 

Post#41 » by DBC10 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:25 pm

Considering no one here follows the Jazz or watch Fontecchio on the regular, any opinions on defense of all things should be reserved

Having said that, this is a good move just purely for the fact we got something of value for Knox. He has value because he's a longer guy that can shoot. We needed shooting and Weaver is trying to fill that void. Why should I trash this move? Is it because his name doesn't sound like Grant Williams?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#42 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:25 pm

Can't complain about adding more wings.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#43 » by kpt » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:25 pm

whitehops wrote:i wonder how the logistics of the trade is going to work. we start a 5-game west coast trip today so i guess he'll be flying into portland tomorrow and meet up with the team? hopefully he'll be able to play saturday against the clippers.

my guess is stewart is out until the all star break so he should get some solid burn right off the bat.

The trade doesn’t go through until tomorrow because Knox wasn’t signed until November 8 and that has something to do with it
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,538

Post#44 » by whitehops » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say that Fontecchio is actually a pretty good defender, physical and puts in a lot of effort.

I've seen Woj and others say he'll be a RFA but in all the sites I've looked he's going to be a UFA in the end of this season so I'm actually unclear about his contract status. Until now I assumed he'd be a UFA when this season is over.

Restricted free agency exists in the following situations:
• For all veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less. The exception to this rule is a first-round Draft pick following his second or third season if his team doesn’t exercise its option to extend his rookie-scale contract for the following season. These players then become unrestricted free agents.

https://www.nba.com/news/free-agency-explained

pretty much every second round pick is a restricted FA at the end of their deal.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,471

Post#45 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:33 pm

whitehops wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say that Fontecchio is actually a pretty good defender, physical and puts in a lot of effort.

I've seen Woj and others say he'll be a RFA but in all the sites I've looked he's going to be a UFA in the end of this season so I'm actually unclear about his contract status. Until now I assumed he'd be a UFA when this season is over.

Restricted free agency exists in the following situations:
• For all veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less. The exception to this rule is a first-round Draft pick following his second or third season if his team doesn’t exercise its option to extend his rookie-scale contract for the following season. These players then become unrestricted free agents.

https://www.nba.com/news/free-agency-explained

pretty much every second round pick is a restricted FA at the end of their deal.

That's informative, thanks.

But as for Fontecchio, he was undrafted. I guess it means he still falls under the 'veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less' definition, hence his restricted free agency. Much appreciated.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#46 » by zeebneeb » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:44 pm

I've watched the scant highlights there are of this guy, and he can shoot, move his feet, and makes cuts to the basket.

Has some athleticism, as he got a lob.

What I dont like, is that the team sent out a wing, for a wing.

That, is **** stupid. The team has centers and guards for days, start adding wings.

Damn it Weaver.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,538

Post#47 » by whitehops » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:45 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:That's informative, thanks.

But as for Fontecchio, he was undrafted. I guess it means he still falls under the 'veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less' definition, hence his restricted free agency. Much appreciated.

right, forgot he was undrafted. yeah i guess that term covers everyone that wasn't on a rookie scale deal.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#48 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:47 pm

I think we slightly overpaid but the RFA status has value.

He can shoot and has high BBIQ. That’s the recipe that I want to surround our “core 4” with.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#49 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:49 pm

DBC10 wrote:Considering no one here follows the Jazz or watch Fontecchio on the regular, any opinions on defense of all things should be reserved

Having said that, this is a good move just purely for the fact we got something of value for Knox. He has value because he's a longer guy that can shoot. We needed shooting and Weaver is trying to fill that void. Why should I trash this move? Is it because his name doesn't sound like Grant Williams?

I'm hoping some Jazz fans chime in here.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#50 » by joedumars1 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 7:57 pm

I like it, time will tell.
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#51 » by Neptune » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:03 pm

Good move by Troy. Simone is a shooter and makes shots while on the move. Knox played well for us, but business is business.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 587

Post#52 » by LaSheed » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:12 pm

Eh it's whatever. I hate this draft. If it were up to me I'd trade with the Knicks to unprotect this year's pick and get ours back so getting rid of this 2nd means nothing to me.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#53 » by FloridaMan78 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:15 pm

Now the question is will Monty start him over Stewart and bring Stew of the bench to backup C?
Exit 9
Junior
And1: 191

Post#54 » by Exit 9 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:18 pm

LOL @vege rushing in to hate and all the Jazz fans pretty much disagreeing

I don't know much about this guy so I've got nothing other than that.
313MADE
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#55 » by NYPiston » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:20 pm

Weaver is such a sucker. Gives up what just about amounts to a late 1st for an older guy that is hardly an upgrade on Knox. Am I missing something?
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#56 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:24 pm

NYPiston wrote:Weaver is such a sucker. Gives up what just about amounts to a late 1st for an older guy that is hardly an upgrade on Knox. Am I missing something?

Yes, he’s a significant upgrade over Knox and Knox has been very helpful.

He’s a better defender, better and more consistent shooter and higher BBIQ, plus we’ll hold his restricted rights.

It’s a slight overpay but I like trying players out before handing them a contract.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#57 » by vege » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:33 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
whitehops wrote:
vege wrote:
I watched a few games and yes, the numbers say he is as bad as Burks, which matches what I've watched.

his defensive EPM is +0.2 which is 66th percentile. i'll admit i haven't seen him play much at all but that's a solid number for sure. knox was 29th percentile.
Soooo, NOT what vege said, as usual? Gotcha.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

My track record is pretty good and yours is laughable, so another bad post by you, as usual.

Fontecchio is a very bad defender, if you want more information, go on and find out the stats yourself. Defensive EPM is only one metric. If you watch the games and understand what's going on, which I doubt, you'll understand Knox was nothing special, but he was passable on defense, definetely not at the bot 30 percentile of the league, and that should give you a clue on how missleading 1 single stat can be. But you do you, continue posting bad stuff.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#58 » by NYPiston » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:35 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

He’s a better defender, better and more consistent shooter and higher BBIQ, plus we’ll hold his restricted rights.

It’s a slight overpay but I like trying players out before handing them a contract.

Granted I haven't seen him much so I'll defer to you but his numbers look pedestrian and how much growth does he have left at 28?
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#59 » by GreekAlex » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:38 pm

NYPiston wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Granted I haven't seen him much so I'll defer to you but his numbers look pedestrian and how much growth does he have left at 28?

I’m not sure how much growth but I think he’ll be given more opportunities here.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,151

Post#60 » by bstein14 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 8:46 pm

One of the biggest benefits is that he doesn't impact our cap space much at all. He has a $3 million cap hold so you can use all your cap space, then go over the cap and offer him something like 3 years $21 million and he'll be a solid bench player for us. Then we'd still have the room exception to add another player at about that salary as well.

C: Duren (28) / Stewart (22)
F: Big $$$ FA Starter (31) / Fonticchio (17)
F: Big $$$ Starter we get for Top 5 Pick (31)/ Ausar (17)
G: Ivey (28) / Sasser(22)
G: Cade (33) / Room Exception (15) (Monte Morris???)

That very well could end up the makeup of our 10 man rotation next year and its a massive upgrade over what we put on the floor this season.

Return to Detroit Pistons