RealGM
And1: 4,324

Re: WELCOME TO DETROIT MR. GRIMES. 

Post#41 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:54 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
What is “it”?

I just stated the obvious that ping pong balls impacted us more than this New York pick which could be a second.

And also stated that injuries have impacted our record. Again, obviously true.

When you’re having a bad day, do you blame that on Weaver too? :lol:

7 wins season and negative draft asset and you refuse to see it and decides to make fun of the guy trying to open you eyes. Cool story bro.

Injuries affect every single team in the league.

We have a recent #1 pick. We probably have average ping pong ball luck.

Do you understand we won 7 games this season?

Do you understand we owe a 1st and several 2nds to assemble the roster that won 7 games?

We pay assets to acquire guys, to then pay assets to dump the same guys. Do you thing Weaver have been doing a good job managing our assets?

SRPs are not that big of a deal. They are like loose change. BFD.

If we want to spend all our cap space on a bunch of average vets, sure we could have 15-20 wins and no future. I’d much prefer getting young guys on rookie deals and letting them develop.

Of course you’re frustrated if you expect SRPs to become starters and guys in their very early 20s to dominate in a league where 25-29 is prime years.

A few teams controll the majority of the late 1sts for the foreseeable future. Our 2nds are 31-35 pick guaranteed for the foreeseable future. That should be an important trading chip.

SHOULD, but Weaver is more concerned about help other teams get better while assembling the worst team in NBA History.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#42 » by GreekAlex » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:31 am

I bet Grimes could have yielded a late first last year at the deadline or possibly even in the offseason.

He was all the rage last year after balling out in the rising stars games during the all-star break.

If you think Monty is bad for benching Ivey at the beginning of the season to motivate him on defense, Thibs is the ultimate taskmaster.

Given more opportunity here, I’m optimistic as to what he can contribute.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#43 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:38 am

poor man's saddiq bey
pistons773
Senior
And1: 56

Post#44 » by pistons773 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:22 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:poor man's saddiq bey

I don't remember Saddiq Bey being particularly plus on defense to be honest. I prefer acquiring Grimes to overpaying what Saddiq thought he is worth. I think all the losing after all these years as made this board really jaded. I have been a Pistons fan since the Isiah/Joe D era and agree this has been one of our least encouraging stretches, but despite this year's putrid record, I have more optimism than I had under the Van Gundy years because we are not in cap hell with a one-legged Blake Griffin and a bunch of mid-level talent. They were never going to win a championship. Obtaining players like Grimes and Fontecchio are the kind of moves I was hoping we would do at this deadline. Players that are young enough to improve, fit our timeline better and play defense in positions of need. Might not be perfect but thank God we didn't buy some spoiled goods like Lavine. Also, we had these vets to 'mentor' our youth and the lesson they were learning is how to lose. They couldn't stay healthy and were sieves on defense. I'm much happier with this direction. We can't have our coach stressing defense and they run out Burkes/Bojan who can't play defense. Look at the Portland game last night. It looked like addition by subtraction to me. The kids will improve. If our youth core doesn't, then we have way bigger problems. We still have a lot of space to fill in a bigger free agent. Now we have the rest of the season to see what improvements they make The summer free agency move I'm more worried about with Weaver but we will see. To be fair, Weaver was interested in Brunson and his instincts were good on that. There are plenty of other things I dislike about his value assessments, but tearing things down with a all new front office isn't a guaranteed improvement either. I remember my optimism when Van Gundy came to town.

Many people on this board are expecting these year players to be winning when that's not realistic. They need to develop. Our coach may be flawed but this roster has been badly unbalanced. This doesn't excuse Weaver from not doing a damn thing to improve our balance last summer, but I would have been more disappointed if we cast off one our our young core too early (except Killian who was more rotten core than core, a draft error). I was sick when we threw Middleton away too early. I don't love Weaver and I have hated his asset management decisions (Bagley, Wisemen) but I do think we are better off in the next years than we, as a fan base, think we are.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#45 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:56 pm

pistons773 wrote:

I [b][b]don't remember Saddiq Bey being particularly plus on defense to be honest. I prefer acquiring Grimes to overpaying what Saddiq thought he is worth. I think all the losing after all these years as made this board really jaded. I have been a Pistons fan since the Isiah/Joe D era and agree this has been one of our least encouraging stretches, but despite this year's putrid record, I have more optimism than I had under the Van Gundy years because we are not in cap hell with a one-legged Blake Griffin and a bunch of mid-level talent. They were never going to win a championship. Obtaining players like Grimes and Fontecchio are the kind of moves I was hoping we would do at this deadline. Players that are young enough to improve, fit our timeline better and play defense in positions of need. Might not be perfect but thank God we didn't buy some spoiled goods like Lavine. Also, we had these vets to 'mentor' our youth and the lesson they were learning is how to lose. They couldn't stay healthy and were sieves on defense. I'm much happier with this direction. We can't have our coach stressing defense and they run out Burkes/Bojan who can't play defense. Look at the Portland game last night. It looked like addition by subtraction to me. The kids will improve. If our youth core doesn't, then we have way bigger problems. We still have a lot of space to fill in a bigger free agent. Now we have the rest of the season to see what improvements they make The summer free agency move I'm more worried about with Weaver but we will see. To be fair, Weaver was interested in Brunson and his instincts were good on that. There are plenty of other things I dislike about his value assessments, but tearing things down with a all new front office isn't a guaranteed improvement either. I remember my optimism when Van Gundy came to town.

Many people on this board are expecting these year players to be winning when that's not realistic. They need to develop. Our coach may be flawed but this roster has been badly unbalanced. This doesn't excuse Weaver from not doing a damn thing to improve our balance last summer, but I would have been more disappointed if we cast off one our our young core too early (except Killian who was more rotten core than core, a draft error). I was sick when we threw Middleton away too early. I don't love Weaver and I have hated his asset management decisions (Bagley, Wisemen) but I do think we are better off in the next years than we, as a fan base, think we are.

your points are valid and i appreciate it, but this season grimes averages less points per game than Killian Hayes while shooting a worse FG%.

he is a plus on defense, cool beans. if i were him i would look to sign up for them French lessons.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#46 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:12 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:
pistons773 wrote:

I [b][b]don't remember Saddiq Bey being particularly plus on defense to be honest. I prefer acquiring Grimes to overpaying what Saddiq thought he is worth. I think all the losing after all these years as made this board really jaded. I have been a Pistons fan since the Isiah/Joe D era and agree this has been one of our least encouraging stretches, but despite this year's putrid record, I have more optimism than I had under the Van Gundy years because we are not in cap hell with a one-legged Blake Griffin and a bunch of mid-level talent. They were never going to win a championship. Obtaining players like Grimes and Fontecchio are the kind of moves I was hoping we would do at this deadline. Players that are young enough to improve, fit our timeline better and play defense in positions of need. Might not be perfect but thank God we didn't buy some spoiled goods like Lavine. Also, we had these vets to 'mentor' our youth and the lesson they were learning is how to lose. They couldn't stay healthy and were sieves on defense. I'm much happier with this direction. We can't have our coach stressing defense and they run out Burkes/Bojan who can't play defense. Look at the Portland game last night. It looked like addition by subtraction to me. The kids will improve. If our youth core doesn't, then we have way bigger problems. We still have a lot of space to fill in a bigger free agent. Now we have the rest of the season to see what improvements they make The summer free agency move I'm more worried about with Weaver but we will see. To be fair, Weaver was interested in Brunson and his instincts were good on that. There are plenty of other things I dislike about his value assessments, but tearing things down with a all new front office isn't a guaranteed improvement either. I remember my optimism when Van Gundy came to town.

your points are valid and i appreciate it, but this season grimes averages less points per game than Killian Hayes while shooting a worse FG%.

he is a plus on defense, cool beans. if i were him i would look to sign up for them French lessons.

FG% in this league doesn't mean anything its all about TS% which he was above average last season and slightly below average this season. He mostly shoots threes (4.2 of his 6.2 FGAs this season) which is why his FG% is low.

That said, his numbers looked really good as a 22 year old second year player in this league but his number did fall off a bit this year and apparently there was some tension between him and his coach this season so perhaps a fresh start and larger opportunity will be just what he needs. Worst case for us I think is he's a solid 9th or 10th guy in our rotation I feel like he's better than guys like Knox, Livers, etc.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,537

Post#47 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:10 pm

bstein14 wrote:FG% in this league doesn't mean anything its all about TS% which he was above average last season and slightly below average this season. He mostly shoots threes (4.2 of his 6.2 FGAs this season) which is why his FG% is low.

That said, his numbers looked really good as a 22 year old second year player in this league but his number did fall off a bit this year and apparently there was some tension between him and his coach this season so perhaps a fresh start and larger opportunity will be just what he needs. Worst case for us I think is he's a solid 9th or 10th guy in our rotation I feel like he's better than guys like Knox, Livers, etc.

donte divincenzo signed with the knicks for $12.5M/yr this past off season. grimes began the year as a starter but lost his spot to divincenzo about a month into the season and his minutes have been up and down since then.

he's pretty one-dimensional and relies on others to create offense for him so i don't think he'll have the best chance to thrive here, at least this season. it's hard to have a larger opportunity (bigger role) without the actual ability to take on that role. defense is definitely where he'll have a chance to earn his minutes.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Post#48 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:33 pm

whitehops wrote:
bstein14 wrote:FG% in this league doesn't mean anything its all about TS% which he was above average last season and slightly below average this season. He mostly shoots threes (4.2 of his 6.2 FGAs this season) which is why his FG% is low.

donte divincenzo signed with the knicks for $12.5M/yr this past off season. grimes began the year as a starter but lost his spot to divincenzo about a month into the season and his minutes have been up and down since then.

he's pretty one-dimensional and relies on others to create offense for him so i don't think he'll have the best chance to thrive here, at least this season. it's hard to have a larger opportunity (bigger role) without the actual ability to take on that role. defense is definitely where he'll have a chance to earn his minutes.

Better than average defender and better than average shooter means he should have a very good chance at thriving here. We don't have any of those guys. Not that you're going to give him the ball and tell him to go to work. But he should find time on a team that needs those skills when compared to New York, who has some guys like DiVincenzo and OG that fill those roles.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#49 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:28 pm

I really want to see what he does for us. Seems like he needed to get out of NY. Might blossom for us. Didn’t cost much to get him.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,440

Post#50 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:20 am

Strange thing to say when the stats support he is a superior three point shooter to Bey, and also a significantly better defender.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#51 » by chrbal » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:35 am

Korleone Young 2.0

I to can make random comparisons
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#52 » by GreekAlex » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:40 am

chrbal wrote:

Korleone Young 2.0

I to can make random comparisons

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

When we drafted him, I was in high school and between the cool name and wildly optimistic articles by the beat writers, I thought we really had something lol
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#53 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#54 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:05 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:
pistons773 wrote:

FG% in this league doesn't mean anything its all about TS% which he was above average last season and slightly below average this season. He mostly shoots threes (4.2 of his 6.2 FGAs this season) which is why his FG% is low.

Yeah, FG% needs to be discarded as a meaningful stat entirely- it’s a relic from an era before scoring efficiency was better understood in mathematical terms.

That said, Grimes has been inefficient this year and the hope is that he improves. He doesn’t belong in the same conversation with Killian in that regard though.

Grimes is not a shot creator even at his best- he’s one dimensional as an offensive player. But good defense and one dimensional offense is a viable way to have a consistent role in this league if that one dimension is outside shooting. Just hope he gets the opportunity to log minutes here and regains some confidence.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#55 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:28 pm

Snakebites wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:

Yeah, FG% needs to be discarded as a meaningful stat entirely- it’s a relic from an era before scoring efficiency was better understood in mathematical terms.

That said, Grimes has been inefficient this year and the hope is that he improves. He doesn’t belong in the same conversation with Killian in that regard though.

Grimes is not a shot creator even at his best- he’s one dimensional as an offensive player. But good defense and one dimensional offense is a viable way to have a consistent role in this league if that one dimension is outside shooting. Just hope he gets the opportunity to log minutes here and regains some confidence.

All good teams have guys that just get after it on defense and catch and shoot on offense... spacing the floor for the guys that do work on offense. 100% a valuable player and I'm fine with us have 2 or 3 guys like that we have a ton of players with other skillsets in Cade, Ivey, Sasser, etc.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#56 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:31 pm

There are a ton of guys who sink or swim based on role and usage. Ivey is a good recent example. Maybe Grimes just needs that change of scenery, larger new role on a different team.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#57 » by DetroitSho » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:33 pm

I'm sorry but did that trade somehow finish completion between the hours of 3pm and 7pm Saturday or something? If he sat out due to the trade not being completed, then how did Bogey and Burks play just hours later? Also, how was he even allowed to be on the bench when he technically wasn't a Piston? I don't think it was that.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#58 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:35 pm

Seems like he'll be ready for tomorrow's game at least. It might have just been a team decision to sit him. Maybe they wanted him to get acclimated, learn a play or two, and go through a practice first before throwing him out there? Vets like Bojan and Burks might not need that since they've been on a bunch of teams.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#59 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:05 pm

DetroitSho wrote:I'm sorry but did that trade somehow finish completion between the hours of 3pm and 7pm Saturday or something? If he sat out due to the trade not being completed, then how did Bogey and Burks play just hours later? Also, how was he even allowed to be on the bench when he technically wasn't a Piston? I don't think it was that.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

I was under the impression that Grimes was injured prior to the trade. Nothing long term though.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#60 » by theBigLip » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:58 pm

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
7 wins season and negative draft asset and you refuse to see it and decides to make fun of the guy trying to open you eyes. Cool story bro.

Injuries affect every single team in the league.

We have a recent #1 pick. We probably have average ping pong ball luck.

Do you understand we won 7 games this season?

Do you understand we owe a 1st and several 2nds to assemble the roster that won 7 games?

We pay assets to acquire guys, to then pay assets to dump the same guys. Do you thing Weaver have been doing a good job managing our assets?

SRPs are not that big of a deal. They are like loose change. BFD.

If we want to spend all our cap space on a bunch of average vets, sure we could have 15-20 wins and no future. I’d much prefer getting young guys on rookie deals and letting them develop.

Of course you’re frustrated if you expect SRPs to become starters and guys in their very early 20s to dominate in a league where 25-29 is prime years.

A few teams controll the majority of the late 1sts for the foreseeable future. Our 2nds are 31-35 pick guaranteed for the foreeseable future. That should be an important trading chip.

SHOULD, but Weaver is more concerned about help other teams get better while assembling the worst team in NBA History.

No, he’s NOT concerned about helping other teams. And he certainly seems to have helped ours at the trade deadline with balancing the roster and getting a couple of players for the long term.

Return to Detroit Pistons