ImageImageImage

Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,262

Re: Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline. 

Post#41 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:41 pm

vege wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
Bojan is more than just a shooter on offense, and he is on a whole new level as a shooter if compared to Grimes and Fontecchio.

Neither Grimes or Fontecchio are anything special on defense. Grimes is passable, Fontecchio is bad. They're both better than Bojan on defense tho, I am not going to argue about that.

Bojan is one of the very worst defenders in the entire league and he isn't going to get any better when he's a year older. Pull your head out of CraftedNBA for one millisecond and watch them play. They are massively better on defense than Bojan. Like night and day.

As I've been saying, Burks is the guy we're more likely to miss as he was the big-shot maker that would keep the bench afloat in most of these games.

Bojan is still the best player even with his poor defense in the equation.

Yet he has had 0 impact on wins. 4-18 without him. 3-25 with him. 7.3 points worse with him on the floor vs. off.

He's a very good scorer, but tough on this team that struggles to hide him.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#42 » by joedumars1 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:43 pm

Bojan is a very good offensive player. I think we did a solid for bojan and burcs, moving them to a contender (yes the Knicks are) we actually got back someone who has some upside in grimes. I like fetticuno over grimes, but hopefully I’m proven wrong or they both are sweet.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#43 » by vege » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:05 am

joedumars1 wrote:Bojan is a very good offensive player. I think we did a solid for bojan and burcs, moving them to a contender (yes the Knicks are) we actually got back someone who has some upside in grimes. I like fetticuno over grimes, but hopefully I’m proven wrong or they both are sweet.

We continue to do a solid to the Knicks while they control a lot of our draft captal and we get worse and worse while we feed them.

Once Weaver is fired, I am pretty sure he have a guaranteed job in New York, either for the Knicks or for the Nets.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#44 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:10 am

vege wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:Bojan is a very good offensive player. I think we did a solid for bojan and burcs, moving them to a contender (yes the Knicks are) we actually got back someone who has some upside in grimes. I like fetticuno over grimes, but hopefully I’m proven wrong or they both are sweet.

We continue to do a solid to the Knicks while they control a lot of our draft captal and we get worse and worse while we feed them.

Once Weaver is fired, I am pretty sure he have a guaranteed job in New York, either for the Knicks or for the Nets.

There is no doubt the Knicks got the two better players for right now. But Grimes is on a cheap deal next year when Weaver wants a bunch of cap space. He couldn't have that much cap space if he kept Bojan at that money. Whether or not this deal ends up a win for us, in large part, will also depend on what we do with that cap space. If Grimes ends up being a rotation player for us for several years that also helps us as the clock is ticking for both Bojan and Burks.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,856

Post#45 » by theBigLip » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:11 am

vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
Who is that misterious FA? OG? Siakam? We couldn't land Max Struss when we had 30 million to spend. Who exactly are we landing this season that we need 60+ mil in cap space? No one wants to play with GLeague level players, a **** GM and in a city that has never been a FA destination.

Miles Bridges is looking more real.

OG will get a call. If nothing else, we force the Knicks to max him out.

Miles Bridges will very likely stay in Charlotte. He scored back to back 40+ efficient points game. They will pay him.

Charlotte might pay him. We can certainly pay him. He’s an UFA, he can choose.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#46 » by vege » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:14 am

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Miles Bridges is looking more real.

OG will get a call. If nothing else, we force the Knicks to max him out.

Miles Bridges will very likely stay in Charlotte. He scored back to back 40+ efficient points game. They will pay him.

Charlotte might pay him. We can certainly pay him. He’s an UFA, he can choose.

They can give him an extra years and bigger raises. The only way for him to go somewhere else is if he is mad that he hit UFA instead of being extended, and doesn't seem like that's the case, since he made it public that he was going to veto any trades. He want the money, and Charlotte are the only team that can give him the money he want.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#47 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:17 am

That Sasser/Grimes bench unit is gonna be something...

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,037

Post#48 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:27 am

Okay- I’ve organized my thoughts:

1) I said as recently as yesterday that we should get whatever value we can out of anyone we’re not bringing back. We did that. Kudos. Anyone thinking we could have gotten our pick back from the Knicks, respectfully, hasn’t been paying attention to the trade market.

2) Losing Bojan and Burks hurts offensively, but they have been replaced with guys who can shoot, and who collectively aren’t as bad defensively. I liked both guys, but they hurt us as much defensively as they helped us offensively. We’ll see how it goes.

3) Killian is GONE. He’s hurt us in so many ways for years. I’m glad he asked out from us. Good bye. I’d say it’s been a pleasure but it wasn’t. Godspeed.

4) Connected with that, Sasser now FINALLY has a committed spot in the rotation. I like him a lot and hope he continues to grow into the role.

5) We got two pending RFAs (okay, Grimes has another year) who in theory are fits with the core. We get the remaining games to evaluate them and decide if they’re worth keeping. Fontecchio Is older than our core but not so much that he can’t be around for the length of whatever contract we might give him.

6) We did not add any high level impact guys, but it’s tough to criticize the team for that when no such players were moved at the deadline. We’re going to be bad for the rest of the year. That was true 2 days ago and it’s true now.

I’d have liked to have seen something more drastic, but I’m reasonably happy.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#49 » by tmorgan » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:31 am

Note that Grimes has another year before RFA.

Also, I hadn’t noticed Grimes and Sasser were teammates in college at Houston. That’s really cool.

And they were both 25th picks, two drafts apart.

The Houston 25s!
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#50 » by Patrick27 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:35 am

I'm pretty happy with this deadline for a few reasons:

-We didn't trade away any of our core.
-We traded vets to open up minutes for our core.
-We didn't do any knee-jerk moves for someone like Lavine, Derozan, or Dejounte Murray that would cost us assets to acquire.
-We kept our balance sheet clean. No big or long-term contracts.
-We cycled out some of the bad juju on the roster - basically shipping out just about everyone that isn't part of the future to get the stink of the losing streak out of our mouths and open the door for some positive vibes.

Could it have been better? Not sure - it's hard to tell what we turned down, but the stuff we did turn down, I'm glad we did. I wish we could have received more for Bojan and Burks, but I also understand that those players are older, defensive liabilities, and approaching free agency (Burks).

The last few weeks have been a significant housecleaning of players. This feels like a whole new team.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#51 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:37 am

tmorgan wrote:Note that Grimes has another year before RFA.

Ah okay, misread the contract. That’s even better.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#52 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:40 am

Sam Vecenie has Grimes as the most valuable asset that was moved at the trade deadline.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,249

Post#53 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:45 am

BDM22 wrote:Sam Vecenie has Grimes as the most valuable asset that was moved at the trade deadline.

That sounds great, and its good Detroit is the team who got it.

However, it needs some context. There was a real dearth of quality assets that were moved.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#54 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:01 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=FKtR2fxMNJOdyh99SM8kYg[/x]
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#55 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:02 am

Piston Pete wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter

Hmm. That surprises me. I expected to see Fournier waived.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#56 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:09 am

Maybe Gallo took the cheaper buyout.

Then again, Weaver’s Pistons rarely do what makes the most sense.

We’re now pretty thin in the frontcourt
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,537

Post#57 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:09 am

my favourite part of all these moves is that we didn't make a big mistake. i don't know if we got better going forward but we didn't make any big commitments that could go bad. most of the guys we got were fringe rotation players on their teams so i'm not expecting a huge change this season record-wise. i like fontecchio as a rotation guy but i'm not as high on grimes as a lot of people are.

i get in theory we added guys who are solid defenders and can shoot but we are severely lacking guys who can create offense. we have cade and ivey, that's the list. sasser can get his own buckets off the bench but he's not great at running a unit. i think our defense might take a small step forward but our offense take a decent hit.

weaver has made a lot of unconventional moves and i'm kind of scared what he does with so much flexibility this summer in a pivotal off season for our rebuild.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#58 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:26 am

Snakebites wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter

Hmm. That surprises me. I expected to see Fournier waived.

I heard they can't because Fournier has a team option for next year and it is automatically picked up if waived, so you have to keep him and then turn down the option at the end of the year. Weird rule.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#59 » by kpt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:29 am

Damn I liked Galo for what he is
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#60 » by kpt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:30 am

Here’s a thought why not wave Wiseman

Return to Detroit Pistons