ImageImageImage

How much weaver offer Tobias Harris?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

catari11
Ballboy
And1: 16

Re: How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#41 » by catari11 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:19 pm

theBigLip wrote:Where is all this Weaver excitement about Harris? It’s against NBA rules for him to comment on getting Harris. Are you guys just making this **** up?

Regardless, he should not be our top option. I wouldn’t go over 30 per, and 3 years max, preferably 2 years.

From what I understand there are slim pickings for free agent forwards. That said, Tobias Harris, in my estimation, is not worth the lion share of the Pistons' cap space. He doesn't quite fit the time line, is a meh defender, and does nothing to control the glass on either end. Pistons should bring him on board as a secondary or tertiary option.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#42 » by mattao313 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:24 pm

Tobias is solid but I hope he isn't our first target

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,152

Post#43 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:13 pm

Here's a good article that came out today, showing Detroit is likely just one of a handful of teams to have above MLE cap space this summer. https://www.spotrac.com/news/2024-nba-spending-power-projections-post-trade-deadline-update-2190/

Detroit Pistons: $61.3 million
Orlando Magic: $45.1 million
Utah Jazz: $42.7 million
Philadelphia 76ers: $42.4 million
Toronto Raptors: $41.5 million

He also projects only 6 teams will be able to use the full non tax payer MLE this year.

NON-TAXPAYER MLE TEAMS (6)
This is usually the largest group of teams we have, and it may well still end up that way. But for now, we can confidently project only six teams to be in range of using the full Non-Taxpayer MLE.

Brooklyn Nets
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
New York Knicks
Sacramento Kings
Washington Wizards
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#44 » by Canadafan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:37 pm

bstein14 wrote:Here's a good article that came out today, showing Detroit is likely just one of a handful of teams to have above MLE cap space this summer. https://www.spotrac.com/news/2024-nba-spending-power-projections-post-trade-deadline-update-2190/

Detroit Pistons: $61.3 million
Orlando Magic: $45.1 million
Utah Jazz: $42.7 million
Philadelphia 76ers: $42.4 million
Toronto Raptors: $41.5 million

He also projects only 6 teams will be able to use the full non tax payer MLE this year.

NON-TAXPAYER MLE TEAMS (6)
This is usually the largest group of teams we have, and it may well still end up that way. But for now, we can confidently project only six teams to be in range of using the full Non-Taxpayer MLE.

Brooklyn Nets
Houston Rockets
Indiana Pacers
New York Knicks
Sacramento Kings
Washington Wizards

So whatever free agents that want to sign with these teams for the full MLE, we need to target those dudes and offer them decently sized "bigger" deals so they're swayed to sign with us.
2 starting caliber forwards.
I'm off the wagon of giving a guy like Tobias $40million a year and there doesn't appear to be any other impact big money guys out there
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#45 » by flow » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm

Was reading through Philly's board to see if Tobias is much different from the player we had. Appears not.

He's a good player & a good guy. But he's not a real needle mover and tends to disappear in big moments.

Pass.

bstein14
RealGM

Post#46 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:02 pm

I wonder how much Obi Toppin will go for. He's leading the league in 2ptFG% (mostly dunks) , he's 7th in the NBA in TS%, and he's shooting above 40% from three. He's super athletic as well and a real lob threat for our guards. I think he could split time with Ausar at the PF spot. He's also only 25 and if we're looking at a four year deal he's really hitting his prime years at 26, 27, 28, 29. Usually mid to late 20s are the best years of a players NBA career. Tobias might be ready to fall off a bit.

C Duren (29 MPG) / Stew (19 MPG)
PF Toppin (24 MPG) / Ausar (24 MPG)
SF Cade / Font
SG Monk / Grimes
PG Ivey / Sasser

That could be a 10 man rotation and we'd still have a top 5 pick to add to the mix as well. Yes, Toppin is not as good as Tobias but overall he's incredibly efficient and a great athlete. Also if we sign Tobias he and Duren play 30 MPG that only leaves Ausar and Stew with scraps for minutes not sure that is a real win for us either although I know we need to win soon.

I'd also be fine with Tyus Jones as our starting PG as he's super efficient, shoots over 40% from deep as well, rarely turns the ball over. He's a Haliburton lite.

SF Cade / Font
SG Ivey / Grimes
PG Tyus / Sasser
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#47 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:35 pm

I'm all for adding athletic, floor spacing wings wherever we can get them.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#48 » by vege » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:01 pm

bstein14 wrote:I wonder how much Obi Toppin will go for. He's leading the league in 2ptFG% (mostly dunks) , he's 7th in the NBA in TS%, and he's shooting above 40% from three. He's super athletic as well and a real lob threat for our guards. I think he could split time with Ausar at the PF spot. He's also only 25 and if we're looking at a four year deal he's really hitting his prime years at 26, 27, 28, 29. Usually mid to late 20s are the best years of a players NBA career. Tobias might be ready to fall off a bit.

SF Cade / Font
SG Monk / Grimes
PG Ivey / Sasser

That could be a 10 man rotation and we'd still have a top 5 pick to add to the mix as well. Yes, Toppin is not as good as Tobias but overall he's incredibly efficient and a great athlete. Also if we sign Tobias he and Duren play 30 MPG that only leaves Ausar and Stew with scraps for minutes not sure that is a real win for us either although I know we need to win soon.

I'd also be fine with Tyus Jones as our starting PG as he's super efficient, shoots over 40% from deep as well, rarely turns the ball over. He's a Haliburton lite.

SF Cade / Font
SG Ivey / Grimes
PG Tyus / Sasser

No one in that starting lineup play any kind of defense.

I don't think this group can be fixed. I think we should burn the house down and start again. This was a failure of a rebuild.

Just fire everyone and start from the scratch before Weaver do something stupid like giving Tobias a long term deal and trading for Zach LaVine. Those moves would be crippling.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#49 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:03 pm

flow wrote:Was reading through Philly's board to see if Tobias is much different from the player we head. Appears not.

He's a good player & a good guy. But he's not a real needle mover and tends to disappear in big moments.

Pass.

I feel the Sixers will match anything up to $30 mil per and Tobias is not worth anything more. Pistons would have to overpay to get him.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#50 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:25 pm

We're not getting any free agents without an overpay. That's why we have all the cap space in theory, though.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#51 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:22 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
flow wrote:Was reading through Philly's board to see if Tobias is much different from the player we head. Appears not.

Pass.

I feel the Sixers will match anything up to $30 mil per and Tobias is not worth anything more. Pistons would have to overpay to get him.

Very real chance hes the BAP outside of Miles Bridges who may just stay with the Hornets. No I dont want Harris.

Other option is trade market but our top 5 pick alone in a weak draft isnt going to bring back a star.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,447

Post#52 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:52 am

Admittedly Tobias isn't the optimal option for use of our cap space, even if he does fill a position of need. But for those saying they'd pass or wouldn't want to pay that much, who are you expecting to get?

Not to be too blunt, but after the events of this season we are now viewed as the joke of the league and are basically a meme team. Which top tier free agent is going to want to come here? And for those that do consider us, that will only be the case because they're expecting to be significantly overpaid.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#53 » by bstein14 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:30 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Pass.

Very real chance hes the BAP outside of Miles Bridges who may just stay with the Hornets. No I dont want Harris.

Other option is trade market but our top 5 pick alone in a weak draft isnt going to bring back a star.

Sixers reportedly want Paul George over Tobias in FA if the Clippers aren't willing to max PG13. George has wanted to sign an extension with the Clippers but the Clippers are wanting to wait til the offseason.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#54 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:45 am

bstein14 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Sixers reportedly want Paul George over Tobias in FA if the Clippers aren't willing to max PG13. George has wanted to sign an extension with the Clippers but the Clippers are wanting to wait til the offseason.

May be a part of some 4 team sign and trade. Hope it is not to help unload Tobias to the Pistons.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,457

Post#55 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:02 pm

If anyone needs a massive paycut after underachieving all these years, it's Tobias. Guy has never sniffed being an all-star and has made over 250 million. No rates him, but he still keeps getting overpaid.

Paying him a big deal and you might as well be signaling that the Pistons aren't trying to improve.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#56 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:13 pm

bstein14 wrote:I wonder how much Obi Toppin will go for. He's leading the league in 2ptFG% (mostly dunks) , he's 7th in the NBA in TS%, and he's shooting above 40% from three. He's super athletic as well and a real lob threat for our guards. I think he could split time with Ausar at the PF spot. He's also only 25 and if we're looking at a four year deal he's really hitting his prime years at 26, 27, 28, 29. Usually mid to late 20s are the best years of a players NBA career. Tobias might be ready to fall off a bit.

SF Cade / Font
SG Monk / Grimes
PG Ivey / Sasser

SF Cade / Font
SG Ivey / Grimes
PG Tyus / Sasser

My plan is still to throw the bag at OG (MAX is $42 mil) and then try to get Patrick Williams with whatever we have left - around $15 mil per.

If we miss on OG, Toppin was my backup plan.

Ivey
Cade
Williams
OG (or Toppin)
Duren

Bench: Sasser, Grimes, Ausar, Stewart, top-5 pick
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#57 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:31 pm

We shouldn't be paying Patrick Williams $15 million. He's a bust.

Need to see the whole free agent list, but as long as we have huge cap space, we should consider big fish hunting. Why not throw a max offer at Paul George or Maxy?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,041

Post#58 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:41 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

Pass.

We're the league's worst team and we do not play in a desirable market.

We'll have to overpay anyone we try to get- I think that's something everyone needs to accept.

The real question is are we getting guys who fit the core and make us a better team, because we WILL be overpaying whoever we get. There are no core pieces available on the free agent market- only supporting pieces. Even with a crazy amount of cap space we've got a LOT riding on internal improvement. And that's scary for anyone who has been watching.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,859

Post#59 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 pm

vege wrote:

SF Cade / Font
SG Monk / Grimes
PG Ivey / Sasser

SF Cade / Font
SG Ivey / Grimes
PG Tyus / Sasser

I don't think this group can be fixed. I think we should burn the house down and start again. This was a failure of a rebuild.

Just fire everyone and start from the scratch before Weaver do something stupid like giving Tobias a long term deal and trading for Zach LaVine. Those moves would be crippling.

This was not a failure rebuild. We have 5 young players on rookie contracts and another on a reasonable extension. We have 2 more players that we just traded for that are legit rotation players. That leaves us 7 open roster spots, over $60M+ in cap space and a top 5 pick this summer. You may not like how we got here but are in a good spot. Hardly a failure.

You are also just piling on as if Weaver has already made a mistake by overspending on Tobias or LaVine. One of the reasons the rebuild hasn’t been a failure is because Weaver has NOT made moves like that. That is just a made up scenario by you.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,041

Post#60 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:03 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:

SF Cade / Font
SG Monk / Grimes
PG Ivey / Sasser

SF Cade / Font
SG Ivey / Grimes
PG Tyus / Sasser

This was not a failure rebuild. We have 5 young players on rookie contracts and another on a reasonable extension. We have 2 more players that we just traded for that are legit rotation players. That leaves us 7 open roster spots, over $60M+ in cap space and a top 5 pick this summer. You may not like how we got here but are in a good spot. Hardly a failure.

You are also just piling on as if Weaver has already made a mistake by overspending on Tobias or LaVine. One of the reasons the rebuild hasn’t been a failure is because Weaver has NOT made moves like that. That is just a made up scenario by you.

One could argue he’s maneuvered us into a position where we more or less have no choice but to overpay.

Our BEST case scenario is what the Rockets did this year.

Return to Detroit Pistons