ImageImageImage

League wide cap space this summer

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Re: League wide cap space this summer 

Post#41 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:56 am

I actually don't love OG on a four year max contract but I would give him this contract.

24-25: S40 million
25-26: $38 million
26-27: $36 million
27-28: $34 million
Total 4 years $148 million

Or this contract....

25-26: $40 million
26-27: $40 million
27-28: $40 million <<Team Option>>
Total 4 years $160 million ($120 3/yrs guaranteed)

He honestly hasn't been good enough to give a max deal to IMO. He's average 15-17 PPG the last few years while also shooting a good % and playing good D but he for sure is like a #3 guy on a good playoff team not your best player.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,294

Post#42 » by GreekAlex » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:59 am

bstein14 wrote:I actually don't love OG on a four year max contract but I would give him this contract.

25-26: $38 million
26-27: $36 million
27-28: $34 million
Total 4 years $148 million

Or this contract....

25-26: $40 million
26-27: $40 million
27-28: $40 million <<Team Option>>
Total 4 years $160 million ($120 3/yrs guaranteed)

He honestly hasn't been good enough to give a max deal to IMO. He's average 15-17 PPG the last few years while also shooting a good % and playing good D but he for sure is like a #3 guy on a good playoff team not your best player.

I agree with everything you said.

The Pistons are in a unique position to overpay him before players start coming off their rookie scale deals.

Checking out his number of games played, I’m a little less eager to invest big money in him.

Despite being young, he misses a ton of games.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,549

Post#43 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:33 am

Free agency is dead and this class is not a great one anyways. I think our strongest avenue is trading our pick for a proven player or budding star who is either on a team about to blow it all up or is seen redundant. We then trade our pick for that player and potentially a bad contract Examples include:

1. Evan Mobley - hasn’t taken the leap expected and needs to get paid
2. Jalen Green - might be redundant with Whitmore and about to get paid
3. JJJ - Grizz might blow it up
4. Markkanen - Jazz are blowing it up
5. Brandon Ingram - another first round exit and it’s blow up time
6. Zion - same as above
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#44 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:03 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Free agency is dead and this class is not a great one anyways. I think our strongest avenue is trading our pick for a proven player or budding star who is either on a team about to blow it all up or is seen redundant. We then trade our pick for that player and potentially a bad contract Examples include:

6. Zion - same as above
Any of those but Jalen Green. I honestly think Zion might be the under the radar play. Kinda revisit last summer's rumors.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,259

Post#45 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:25 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Free agency is dead and this class is not a great one anyways. I think our strongest avenue is trading our pick for a proven player or budding star who is either on a team about to blow it all up or is seen redundant. We then trade our pick for that player and potentially a bad contract Examples include:

6. Zion - same as above
Any of those but Jalen Green. I honestly think Zion might be the under the radar play. Kinda revisit last summer's rumors.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Zion is tough because you can't really play him and Duren. Do you also move Duren for a stretch 5? Seems iffy for a guy that struggles to stay healthy and motivated.

JJJ or Lauri would be great.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,010

Post#46 » by Snakebites » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 pm

I didn’t realize Lauri was expiring. That spooks me a bit.

JJJ would be ideal but I’m not sure they’re actually looking to blow it up. The Adams trade was an apron/LT maneuver, not the start of such a blowup.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#47 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:13 pm

Snakebites wrote:I didn’t realize Lauri was expiring. That spooks me a bit.

I'd still feel pretty good if we traded for him in the offseason, assuming we still have the cap space in that moment, because it allows us to renegotiate the final year of his deal and extend him a year early, like the Kings did with Sabonis. Basically every max player is taking that deal because it's just too risky to play out an entire season before locking in the bag. Guys secure the bag and then demand a trade these days.

I would assume any trade (let's say, around the draft), would have a renegotiation/max extension already agreed upon in principle beforehand.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,010

Post#48 » by Snakebites » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 pm

BDM22 wrote:

I'd still feel pretty good if we traded for him in the offseason, assuming we still have the cap space in that moment, because it allows us to renegotiate the final year of his deal and extend him a year early, like the Kings did with Sabonis. Basically every max player is taking that deal because it's just too risky to play out an entire season before locking in the bag. Guys secure the bag and then demand a trade these days.

Yeah, obviously it changes if we can arrange something like that.

I would like us to kick the tires on OG- he’s a perfect fit and it seems like malpractice not to at least try, but he’s not a realistic option. I think he probably signs a new deal in NY on day 1.

I’m still praying there’s some ingenious plan I’m not seeing here. We leaned even further into cap space this offseason after the FA market had dried up.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#49 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Yeah, obviously it changes if we can arrange something like that.

I would like us to kick the tires on OG- he’s a perfect fit and it seems like malpractice not to at least try, but he’s not a realistic option. I think he probably signs a new deal in NY on day 1.

Yeah, gotta make the default offer to OG even if the chances are very low. Would have to make the number ridiculously toxic for New York to match, considering Randle and Brunson will be due for big raises after next season.

Return to Detroit Pistons