ImageImageImage

Time to face reality about Cade

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Re: Time to face reality about Cade 

Post#41 » by mattao313 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:07 am

treefi wrote:What about Cade for Michael Porter Jr straight up? I prefer Porter Jr over Tobias. Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson sound nice too.
Cade and pick for Brandon ingram

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,247

Post#42 » by MrBigShot » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:13 am

Let's give him another chance to see if he can get close to replicating that december run but do it over a season. This is basically his 2nd year.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
TPA
Senior
And1: 480

Post#43 » by TPA » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:22 am

vic wrote:Cade needs a diet of beef brisket, steak, and beef bone broth

Anyone who drafts a vegetarian deserves the inevitable outcome...
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#44 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:03 am

mattao313 wrote:
treefi wrote:What about Cade for Michael Porter Jr straight up? I prefer Porter Jr over Tobias. Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson sound nice too.
Cade and pick for Brandon ingram

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

Brandon Ingram is super talented but he hasn’t played less than 62 games every season since his rookie season.

Let that sink in. 62 games is the most he’s played.

I don’t want to be the team that never succeeds because a huge portion of the salary cap is spent on part time players.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,247

Post#45 » by MrBigShot » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 am

What are we doing here? MPJ is a tall spot up shooter set to get paid ~38 mil per year for the next season.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,325

Post#46 » by vege » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:16 am

MrBigShot wrote:

What are we doing here? MPJ is a tall spot up shooter set to get paid ~38 mil per year for the next season.

And he is injury prone
aad
Starter
And1: 470

Post#47 » by aad » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:25 am

Cade is averaging
22ppg
7.5 ast
4rpg

It’s not his fault that weaver put a bull roster around him and a horrible coach
tradez401
Starter
And1: 621

Post#48 » by tradez401 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:04 pm

giving up on cade this early is crazy we still havent seen a full season of cade/ivey together thanks to monty keepin ivey in the doghouse early on. put shooters around cade/ivey in the offseason and lets see what they look like.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#49 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:24 pm

Cade is our best player. He needs to be surrounded with more talent. Not just whoever Weaver slops up together.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Post#50 » by Cowology » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:26 pm

I don't think it's about giving up on him, so much as being concerned over the eventual cost. Anytime you are talking that much money (or % of the cap), you should have a critical eye and ask tough questions.

IF you max him and he doesn't turn into a franchise player, then you've got yourself one of these albatross contracts that impedes future flexibility.

It's actually a tough spot to be in because you do have to make the type of decisions relatively early on in the development process, but this really is about cap management. And yes, fair questions to be asking.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#51 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:00 pm

Why can't we change Cade's role for the remainder of the season? This season is lost anyways, might as well try some stuff out. How about try him out as a JJ Redick or Klay Thompson who plays off ball and runs around screens to get open looks? I'm tired of him overdribbling into turnovers and bad shots...its insanity at this point.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#52 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:16 pm

It's Detroit. We have to overpay. Unless you want a bunch of Joe Harris, Marvin Bagley, Killian Hayes, Wiseman
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#53 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:47 pm

MrBigShot wrote:

With one of the worst medical profiles scouts have ever seen.

Neither MPJ is a #1 on a Championship team. If we're going to package Cade in a trade for one guy and we're not getting that, not sure what the point is. Though I guess at least with Mikal Bridges he fits a lot of teams (and ours especially).
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,190

Post#54 » by Notanoob » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:53 pm

Cade's an alright player but not a floor-raiser or difference-maker. I would just draft BPA at this point and figure it out later. I wouldn't be eager to trade him either, as at this point I think despite the volume stats we could eventually re-sign him for something reasonable. Not really sure who we'd trade him for either.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 104

Post#55 » by SuperBad » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:20 pm

I think we should play him off ball more too. I think his style running the show is more effective if not used all the time. It’s so early on all these guys but I don’t see why Cunningham, Ivey, and Sasser can’t rotation wise be used the same as Isiah, Joe, and VJ I’m not saying there the same players but all three played both positions and played off ball to each other. If Cunningham can be just as effective off the ball as he is with it, I think he and the team do become much better. But we can’t give up on this, if the Wizards could trade Bradly Beal, we will be able to move Cade if that’s what has to be done.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#56 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Notanoob wrote:Cade's an alright player but not a floor-raiser or difference-maker. I would just draft BPA at this point and figure it out later. I wouldn't be eager to trade him either, as at this point I think despite the volume stats we could eventually re-sign him for something reasonable. Not really sure who we'd trade him for either.

We're four years into "figuring it out later" so far. When is later?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#57 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:29 pm

SuperBad wrote: But we can’t give up on this, if the Wizards could trade Bradly Beal, we will be able to move Cade if that’s what has to be done.

He hasn't shown he's as good as Lavine yet ... not sure a Beal comp is exactly reasonable.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,039

Post#58 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:01 pm

SuperBad wrote: But we can’t give up on this, if the Wizards could trade Bradly Beal, we will be able to move Cade if that’s what has to be done.

You know we're in a bad place when you're already talking about trading a player on a big contract BEFORE we've even given him that contract. If that's not a yikes I don't know what is.

And the Wizards got a pittance for Beal and are one of the few teams I wouldn't want to switch places with. They aren't an example to follow regardless.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,265

Post#59 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:25 pm

The awkward part will be if you give Cade a bazillion dollars in the offseason and then Ivey looks like the 1A next year. Then you gotta max Ivey too? What about Duren? This is a tricky thing to navigate for the FO.

(If it were me, I would trade Cade in the offseason, before having to make that decision)
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#60 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:44 pm

Build around Cade/Ivey.

So far, Weaver hasn’t. We need a GM who will

Return to Detroit Pistons