Re: Game 64 - Pistons vs Hornets - 7pm 

Post#42 » by joedumars1 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:08 am

Cade is thst dude
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#43 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:08 am

Given how well Tecc has played for us, I really hope we aren’t in the market for Tobias. I’m not even sure he’s an upgrade.
Absolutia
Junior
And1: 152

Post#44 » by Absolutia » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:13 am

Can we hold on and move off the bottom of the league?
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#45 » by joedumars1 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:15 am

tmorgan wrote:Given how well Tecc has played for us, I really hope we aren’t in the market for Tobias. I’m not even sure he’s an upgrade.

I don’t see us paying big for any fa.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#46 » by GreekAlex » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 am

tmorgan wrote:Given how well Tecc has played for us, I really hope we aren’t in the market for Tobias. I’m not even sure he’s an upgrade.

If we don’t upgrade the forward position as a whole, where should the cap space be spent?

I definitely get that Tek has played great and should get heavy rotation minutes but the money had to be spent somewhere.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#47 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 am

Solid game from the starters except Ivey. He suuuuucked.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#48 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:20 am

GreekAlex wrote:

If we don’t upgrade the forward position as a whole, where should the cap space be spent?

I definitely get that Tek has played great and should get heavy rotation minutes but the money had to be spent somewhere.

Well, my dream is to trade Ivey and our pick for Lauri. Then we can use the money (still over 50 mil) to trade for a more appropriate shooting guard, as well as pick up one more bench wing.

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes. <—- NOT effing Lavine
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Markkanen/Fontecchio+Stewart
Duren/Stewart

That’d be the ten guys that play when healthy.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,324

Post#49 » by vege » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:20 am

Ivey Fournier and Grimes were pathetic, the rest of the team played well against a GLeague level team.

Good to see Sasser not being a big negative, and hitting some shots.
vege
RealGM

Post#50 » by vege » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:22 am

tmorgan wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Well, my dream is to trade Ivey and our pick for Lauri. Then we can use the money (still over 50 mil) to trade for a more appropriate shooting guard, as well as pick up one more bench wing.

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

There is a SG that would fit really well in FA. De'Anthony Melton. He's nothing special, but he is well above average on both sides of the floor and an above average starter.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#51 » by TurboTitan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:22 am

Good game
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#52 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:23 am

vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

There is a SG that would fit really well in FA. De'Anthony Melton. He's nothing special, but he is well above average on both sides of the floor and an above average starter.

Pay Grayson Allen a 2 year deal or something
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#53 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:24 am

vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

I like Melton. With our budget, I hope we could do better, but I wouldn’t hate it.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#54 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:26 am

MotownMadness wrote:
vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

Man, I really hate looking at that jackass, but he’d be a fit. Douchebag can shoot.
vege
RealGM

Post#55 » by vege » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:26 am

MotownMadness wrote:
vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

Allen is a bad defender, Melton is a much more complete player.

Allen is the better shooter, but with Cade and Lauri, Melton would be fine for spacing purposes, and he is great at everything else on offense other than 3's where he's a little above average.
vege
RealGM

Post#56 » by vege » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:28 am

tmorgan wrote:
vege wrote:
tmorgan wrote:

Cade/Sasser
SG?/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio+SF?
Duren/Stewart

I like Melton. With our budget, I hope we could do better, but I wouldn’t hate it.

2 guys I love in FA are Melton and Hartenstein. We're not getting either but I am a big fan of both of them. High BBIQ players with no holes in their games and would fit any team/system.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#57 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 am

guldakot wrote:
tmorgan wrote:I still detest Wiseman, but I’ll admit he’s played better lately,

You see flashes of what he could be, but then you remember he has the processing speed of a hamster.
Hes not stupid, he just doesnt process the game fast enough.

His best two months of defensive ratings as a Pistons have been in Feb and thus far in March so he has went from really bad and nearly unplayable on defense to simply below average and its showing up in the stats and the eye test. He's no longer been looking like a massive liability out there the past few weeks.

He's obviously also playing for his NBA life and possibly millions of dollars and hoping to land a backup C role somewhere so I don't know how much is him really feeling the pressure to not drop out of the league and how much of this is sustainable and something he can grow and build on and keep getting better.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#58 » by GreekAlex » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:37 am

bstein14 wrote:
guldakot wrote:
tmorgan wrote:I still detest Wiseman, but I’ll admit he’s played better lately,

You see flashes of what he could be, but then you remember he has the processing speed of a hamster.

His best two months of defensive ratings as a Pistons have been in Feb and thus far in March so he has went from really bad and nearly unplayable on defense to simply below average and its showing up in the stats and the eye test. He's no longer been looking like a massive liability out there the past few weeks.

He's obviously also playing for his NBA life and possibly millions of dollars and hoping to land a backup C role somewhere so I don't know how much is him really feeling the pressure to not drop out of the league and how much of this is sustainable and something he can grow and build on and keep getting better.

The scary thing is most of the contracts handed to high lottery picks coming off their rookie deals are based on potential and trajectory.

If Weaver thinks Monty can make him 20% better each of the next few seasons, we could wind up with a bad contract.
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#59 » by tmorgan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:39 am

I’m not resigning Wiseman. Not if we’re serious about getting better.

One thing we need to think about if we have aspirations to actually compete for a play-in spot next year is point of attack defense. We currently have two, maybe three guys on the roster that can do that, but they are:

Sasser, who is small and inexperienced
Ausar, who we will use on the biggest threat at PG, SG, or SF
And maybe Grimes, if his offense returns to playable some day

Cade can’t do it. He’s not quick enough, and his offensive load is way too big to expect it. Sasser as a starter isn’t happening yet if ever, and Grimes is struggling badly with his shot. I guess the plan is to just start Ausar and let him do it unless needed elsewhere, but it would be nice to have a starting level shooting guard that can do it. Ivey ain’t that. As vege said, Grayson Allen isn’t that either. Maybe Melton, maybe someone else becomes available.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#60 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:41 am

GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
guldakot wrote:You see flashes of what he could be, but then you remember he has the processing speed of a hamster.

The scary thing is most of the contracts handed to high lottery picks coming off their rookie deals are based on potential and trajectory.

If Weaver thinks Monty can make him 20% better each of the next few seasons, we could wind up with a bad contract.

Weaver pretty much said he leaned his lesson with Bagley you can't pay young guys based on what you hope they become.

Return to Detroit Pistons