ImageImageImage

Stuckey=Carlos Arroyo

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#41 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:54 am

Do you think Stuckey's double clutching around the basket is just not going to work in the NBA? Early on (pre-season--yah, I know. . .), I thought he might have a lot of success with it, especially in drawing fouls. He is getting a lot blocked--that, or he's forced into throwing up junk. Are the refs not respecting him because he is throwing up junk? Sometimes I think so, but seeing Nocioni flail about, take extra steps to the basket, throw up some junk and get the foul call, I wonder.

Still, it would be nice to see Stuckey without the brace. In his first game back, they showed a close-up of his repaired hand. That was not small injury. He had pins put in several bones. I'd hate to play with a hand brace, even on my off hand. It would especially be a factor on layups and Stuckey-style double clutchers in the paint, I think.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man

Post#42 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 am

Drwho17 wrote:Yes, he can't get to the hoop, he does seem to be able to beat his man, but by the time he gets to the hoop, he can't even manage to get his shot up on the glass. Maybe he needs to develop a teardrop, or pull up sometime, rather then putting his head down and getting stuffed every time.

He gets to the basket quickly. He doesn't seem to have the best decision making when he gets there. I've never seen him just decide to dribble through the lane when he sees defenders already there. It's always hardcore to the rim, usually with some sort of double clutch move. This worked well in college. I can't figure out if it will work in the NBA.

In the preseason, somebody said Stuckey had a measured 40-inch vertical--that, and he was 6'4". That doesn't seem to be true, though, does it? He doesn't block shots at all. How high does he jump?
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Champs04bigshot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:15 am

Dirtgrain wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
In the preseason, somebody said Stuckey had a measured 40-inch vertical--that, and he was 6'4". That doesn't seem to be true, though, does it? He doesn't block shots at all. How high does he jump?

Stuckey is very athletic and very strong. He is usually one of the quickest players on the floor when in the game. He can jump high he was measured with a high vertical. He can get up he just doesnt prefer to as of yet (lay ups on fast breaks) but i believe his finishing ability has been greatly hindered by the fact that he is timid going to the hoop since he broke his hand. I believe once is hand is no concern or out of his head we will see the real athlete the kid is amazingly quick and strong once he just goes to the hoop without his hand being a problem it will be a huge plus. Stuckey also does have a jumper showing that off in the summer league and preseason i believe critizism now is just stupid. He has had to shoot with a brace on his hand and has broken bones. Give him to the end of the season to catch up then decide but he is very athletic.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#44 » by Master Shake » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:21 am

Just wait until the kid has been on an NBA training program for over a year... he hasn't even played 1/3 of his rookie year...

Seriously, the future payoff of this kid should be 3 to 4 years down the line. This isn't Darko, he has ability, and actually cares to get better. Which is why he just needs time.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Dirtgrain » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 am

Oh, here it says he was measured at 6'3 and 3/4" (with shoes) with a no-step vertical leap of 30.5" and a max vertical leap of 35": http://www.sportsworldny.com/lofiversion/index.php/t11657.html

He was rated at 10th overall, as an athlete (mainly, I think, for speed and agility). His vertical leap ain't that great (better than mine, for sure), and he is seemingly shorter than advertised (aren't they all? But Mugsy Bogues could finish, so. . .).

Dang. Kevin Durant tested terribly for athleticism (he couldn't bench press 185 lbs. once, and his vertical was crappy). So much for combine stats predicting a player's NBA readiness (then again, his shooting percentage sucks so far, and he doesn't get many rebounds).
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore

Post#46 » by Champs04bigshot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:28 am

Master Shake wrote:Just wait until the kid has been on an NBA training program for over a year... he hasn't even played 1/3 of his rookie year...

Seriously, the future payoff of this kid should be 3 to 4 years down the line. This isn't Darko, he has ability, and actually cares to get better. Which is why he just needs time.

I couldnt agree more. To all of you who say is sucks and say he should be in the d league or that Afflalo should have his minutes i just hope you remember your stance on him right now. The skill set he has and the ability he shows this far into his rookie year after being hurt is great to me. I believe he will be our starter for 8 9 or ten years and become an all star one day. He needs time look at Billups probably the same people said the same things as you say about Stuckey. He was traded in his rookie season. Time is what point gaurds need. I cant wait until he makes you eat your words when he learns the game but to say he has a cieling of Aroyo is stupid. He will be a great point gaurd of our future and as for afflalo taking his minutes i believe afflalo has a much lower ceiling of potential outside of getting a better shot afflalo has not much room for improvement in my opinion.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#47 » by Drwho17 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:06 am

Champs04bigshot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I couldnt agree more. To all of you who say is sucks and say he should be in the d league or that Afflalo should have his minutes i just hope you remember your stance on him right now. The skill set he has and the ability he shows this far into his rookie year after being hurt is great to me. I believe he will be our starter for 8 9 or ten years and become an all star one day. He needs time look at Billups probably the same people said the same things as you say about Stuckey. He was traded in his rookie season. Time is what point gaurds need. I cant wait until he makes you eat your words when he learns the game but to say he has a cieling of Aroyo is stupid. He will be a great point gaurd of our future and as for afflalo taking his minutes i believe afflalo has a much lower ceiling of potential outside of getting a better shot afflalo has not much room for improvement in my opinion.

Why what does the deserved criticism he is getting now, have to do with the player he might be 3 years down the road? Lot's of players have the skills Rodney Stuckey has, unfortunately lots of them don't pan out in the NBA either. He needs to quit looking at Billups, they are different players. Chauncey was traded because of the *incident* in Boston, not because he wasn't good.

As far as your other points, I think you have misread the thread. No one thinks Afflalo will be that great, or that Stuckey has the potential of Arroyo. Stuckey plays like Arroyo when he runs the point, he dribbles too much and stagnates the offense, like Arroyo. The only think people have said hear in reguards to Afflalo is that he has *earned* minutes this year, not that he will be a star in the future. Afflalo is far more polished then Stuckey, and doesn't hurt the team while he's in there.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#48 » by princeofpalace » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:24 am

Drwho17 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Why what does the deserved criticism he is getting now, have to do with the player he might be 3 years down the road? Lot's of players have the skills Rodney Stuckey has, unfortunately lots of them don't pan out in the NBA either. He needs to quit looking at Billups, they are different players. Chauncey was traded because of the *incident* in Boston, not because he wasn't good.

As far as your other points, I think you have misread the thread. No one thinks Afflalo will be that great, or that Stuckey has the potential of Arroyo. Stuckey plays like Arroyo when he runs the point, he dribbles too much and stagnates the offense, like Arroyo. The only think people have said hear in reguards to Afflalo is that he has *earned* minutes this year, not that he will be a star in the future. Afflalo is far more polished then Stuckey, and doesn't hurt the team while he's in there.

QFT!

In addition, that link says that Stuckey is 6'3 & 3/4 barefoot and 6'4 and half in shoes. And, Stuckeys had the brace off for the past couple of games so thats no longer a factor.
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore

Post#49 » by Champs04bigshot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:29 am

Drwho17 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
He needs to quit looking at Billups, they are different players. Chauncey was traded because of the *incident* in Boston, not because he wasn't good.
Afflalo is far more polished then Stuckey, and doesn't hurt the team while he's in there.

First of all to say he dribbles the ball and makes the offense stagnent makes me wonder if you even have ever seen a game when Stuckey plays. All he does is dribble the ball to half court and gives it up and goes to the corner so you must not watch many games. Second Billups bounced around quite a bit i dont think there were incidents in all those places he wasnt wanted is what it comes down to.

Afflalo is more polished then Stuckey? He doesnt do anything when hes in the game. One rebound in ten minutes, that it. Before you say his defense is great give me a specific instance that makes you believe that. Second if Stuckey didnt get hurt Afflalo wouldnt ever be in the game period. It showed true with their play in preseason. Stuckey also during the eleven game win streak had numerous good games. Scoring around ten and dishing out 4 or 5 asts in acouple games to me thats great production off the bench at point but i guess afflalo can do all the things he can? Thats wrong what has AA done to make you believe this stuff?
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#50 » by princeofpalace » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Here are Chuck Daly's thoughts on Stuckey & his PT

Grey
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#51 » by Grey » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:37 am

edit: sorry
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#52 » by srt4b » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 am

princeofpalace wrote:Here are Chuck Daly's thoughts on Stuckey & his PT

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#53 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Interesting that nobody is crying about Daly not wanting to develop Stuckey but we get on Flip who is following orders and trying to develop him.

Truth is this team still needs a veteran like Lindsay Hunter and if he and Flip Murray were playing there would be more wins now but less of a future.

Detroit is trying to walk the rope. So far so good because they're still second in the East and only a half game behind Phoenix now for second best in the NBA.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#54 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:22 pm

If Flip is trying to develop a bench, fine.

You want to integrate the new guys? Then play them! Both of them! I have no problem with Hermann AND Brezec cutting into Hayes/Maxiell's minutes because it either means a) we are effectively showcase them for a trade, or b) we decide which/neither/both to i) keep next off-season ii) allow to expire iii) prematurely waive. For this to happen, though, they'd have to play together to ease their transition (they WERE teammates last season, after all). If Flip wants to go with an 8-man rotation, fine; Billups/Hamilton/Prince/McDyess/Wallace/Stuckey/Hermann/Brezec. Just for a little bit. Hayes and Maxiell can chill out for a few games, or get in in case of foul trouble/fatigue/injury problems.

Developing the youth is your goal? Then play them! All of them! This includes Amir and Afflalo! I want to see an 9 man rotation of: Billups/Hamilton/Prince/McDyess/Wallace/Stuckey/Afflalo/Johnson/Maxiell, then. If Flip is displeased with the effort from, say, Tayshaun, he could BENCH him entirely (for a stretch, just to jolt him awake) and give all of his minutes to Afflalo (deserved) and Amir (obligatory).

I'm sick of seeing Hayes have his permanent spot in the rotation when our bench is SO deep and other players would do us some good by playing occasionally.

Return to Detroit Pistons