ImageImageImage

Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Re: Condensed view of the work Weaver did at the trade deadline. 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:36 am

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=FKtR2fxMNJOdyh99SM8kYg[/x]

Hmm. That surprises me. I expected to see Fournier waived.

I heard they can't because Fournier has a team option for next year and it is automatically picked up if waived, so you have to keep him and then turn down the option at the end of the year. Weird rule.

Could have easily waived Wiseman, but its most likely the fact that we're now a vet-less team and Gallinari reportedly had interest from the Lakers so I am pretty sure Weaver is doing Danilo a solid.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,029

Post#62 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:50 am

kpt wrote:Here’s a thought why not wave Wiseman

A clear signal that we still think Stewart is a power forward.

I think he's still starting even though I'd really like to see Ausar in that spot.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#63 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:19 am

This would be a fun 9-man rotation:

Guards: Ivey, Cade, Grimes, Sasser
Forwards: Ausar, Fettuccine, Stewart
Centers: Duren and Muscala
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Post#64 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:33 pm

Snakebites wrote:
kpt wrote:Here’s a thought why not wave Wiseman

A clear signal that we still think Stewart is a power forward.

I think he's still starting even though I'd really like to see Ausar in that spot.

To be fair, Stew and Duren have been on and off hurt a fair amount this year so have one big guy left isn’t a bad idea. And I imagine cutting Galo is more about giving him a chance to sign with a contender.

Though I’m sure Monty is still gonna have Stew at the 4
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,218

Post#65 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:14 pm

This thread is amazing. We've moved from acceptance back to denial because we shuffled some seconds, moved our best offensive player, and picked up a couple edge-of-the rotation players.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#66 » by NYPiston » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:21 pm

Piston Pete wrote:Knicks trade was the worst. We gave up arguably the best two vets on the trade block (Bogey and Burks) and only got back Grimes and a pair of 2nd rounders.

Minnesota trade was disappointing as well. Morris is worth more than end of the bench types who won’t be here in a couple months.

Utah trade was decent.

Two vets who can score but are absolute pylons defensively. I don't understand the attachment to these two, I know that they were very good scorers when they were on but I feel sort of an addition by subtraction with them gone so getting Grimes, for me, was a nice bonus and now it's a more well rounded team with more guys that can defend but also shoot reasonably well and are not on the downside of their career. Them returning a 1st was never realistic IMO, just more overvaluing of Pistons assets by this fanbase, and I prefer Grimes to a late 1st anyway.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#67 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:32 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Knicks trade was the worst. We gave up arguably the best two vets on the trade block (Bogey and Burks) and only got back Grimes and a pair of 2nd rounders.

Minnesota trade was disappointing as well. Morris is worth more than end of the bench types who won’t be here in a couple months.

Utah trade was decent.

Two vets who can score but are absolute pylons defensively. I don't understand the attachment to these two, I know that they were very good scorers when they were on but I feel sort of an addition by subtraction with them gone so getting Grimes, for me, was a nice bonus and now it's a more well rounded team with more guys that can defend but also shoot reasonably well and are not on the downside of their career. Them returning a 1st was never realistic IMO and I prefer Grimes to a late 1st anyway.

Weaver tackled this deadline like a GM who knows he has to win games next season. He got two cheap solid bench players to add to the rotation next year that are actual NBA players.

Sasser + Grimes + Fontecchio + Ausar + Stewart

That bench literally could be the best bench unit in the NBA next year. Shooting, defense, rebounding, etc. Super high upside for that unit IMO. Obviously if we keep our top 5 pick that player is likely to be a bench player starting out and perhaps one of Ausar or Stewart is in the starting lineup instead.... but overall having actual NBA players coming in off the bench instead of guys like Livers, Bagley, Knox, etc is going to be a big plus for us.

If we can change all of that cap space plus our top 5 pick into two good starters to go with IVEY+CADE+DUREN I like that 10 man unit for sure.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#68 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:46 pm

Laimbeer wrote:This thread is amazing. We've moved from acceptance back to denial because we shuffled some seconds, moved our best offensive player, and picked up a couple edge-of-the rotation players.

Grimes was a middle-of-the-pack starter SG on a playoff team last year statistically. We’ll see if he can get back to that, but he has shown it. It’s not like a pure potential bid like Wiseman was (and hopefully weaver learned from). Fontecchio started on an Utah team that was around .500 for their best stretch of ball. A lot of playoff teams wanted him.

And most importantly, Burks and Bojan are at the ends of their careers with Burks a threat to walk in the summer. Time to move on. You aren’t going to get a 25 year old Bojan in return for 35 year old Bojan straight up. But you’ll get guys that fit the timeline, can play both sides, and are under team control.

There are a ton of ways this deadline could have been a total disaster. Taking some horrendous Lavine contract, or dumping a bunch of young guys in a panic move. Selling on the old vets who have contributed to like 5 wins on this team for rookie-scale longer term pieces with team control is not one of them.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,218

Post#69 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:36 pm

bstein14 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Hmm. That surprises me. I expected to see Fournier waived.

I heard they can't because Fournier has a team option for next year and it is automatically picked up if waived, so you have to keep him and then turn down the option at the end of the year. Weird rule.

Could have easily waived Wiseman, but its most likely the fact that we're now a vet-less team and Gallinari reportedly had interest from the Lakers so I am pretty sure Weaver is doing Danilo a solid.

Doing him a solid for what? His long tenure with Pistons? Stong influence in the NBAPA? Weaver needs to act in the interest of the Pistons, full stop. The team got much better with floor spacing bigs.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#70 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:47 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:I heard they can't because Fournier has a team option for next year and it is automatically picked up if waived, so you have to keep him and then turn down the option at the end of the year. Weird rule.

Doing him a solid for what? His long tenure with Pistons? Stong influence in the NBAPA? Weaver needs to act in the interest of the Pistons, full stop. The team got much better with floor spacing bigs.

More likely to convince vets to come here if you've shown you'll give them a chance to play for a contender in a lost season if they (understandably) want out. Gallo might be in his last season and he wasn't a nightly rotation member anyways. In fact he was a DNP in 3 of the 4 wins we've had since the trade. Muscala and Stewart are still stretch bigs on the roster, it's just on Monty to actually use them that way.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#71 » by 440BB » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:56 pm

Michael Tellem is Gallinari's agent.
I'd rather see more of the youngsters for the rest of the season anyway.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#72 » by Piston Pete » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:02 pm

There has always been a ton of talk about doing right by these vets, doing them solids, etc.

But why?

I mean, morally, I get it.

But it’s not like it’s gonna help attract free agents here. Players don’t really consider any of this when they are free agents.

They might avoid clubs who treat their players poorly….but not waiving Gallo wouldn’t qualify as treating him poorly.

Just thinking out loud, I’m done.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#73 » by BDM22 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:12 pm

Piston Pete wrote:There has always been a ton of talk about doing right by these vets, doing them solids, etc.

But why?

But it’s not like it’s gonna help attract free agents here. Players don’t really consider any of this when they are free agents.

They might avoid clubs who treat their players poorly….but not waiving Gallo wouldn’t qualify as treating him poorly.

It just seems a little petty to keep him around when he's got 4 DNP-CD's in 10 games if a contender wants him, especially when you consider he's nearing retirement and we're the worst team in the league.

Muscala was the guy getting PT every night and he's staying.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#74 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:22 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:There has always been a ton of talk about doing right by these vets, doing them solids, etc.

But why?

It just seems a little petty to keep him around when he's got 4 DNP-CD's in 10 games if a contender wants him, especially when you consider he's nearing retirement and we're the worst team in the league.

Muscala was the guy getting PT every night and he's staying.

This. We kept the guy who was actually playing meaningful minutes on a consistent basis.

There are certain things that are just standards within this business. A bad team waiving a vet who wasn’t getting a lot of minutes (and might be of interest to a better team) appears to be one of them based on what I’ve seen.

Don’t want to be known as the team that doesn’t adhere to those standards. Basketball is a small world and reputations matter.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#75 » by theBigLip » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:28 pm

But why?

I think doing the right thing for a player makes a difference. Players certainly talk w other players. We want them to say good things about the team. And agents remember as well.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,745

Post#76 » by Cowology » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:38 pm

I'm actually OK with us just doing it to be "nice". The rep stuff is nice too and it's not hurting us in any meaningful way, but really, I'm perfectly OK with us doing a vet a solid because it's a decent thing to do for somebody. *shrug*

The bigger issue is the acquisition and use (or misuse) of some of these contracts. We probably shouldn't have been in this position in the first place.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#77 » by Snakebites » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:44 pm

Cowology wrote:I'm actually OK with us just doing it to be "nice". The rep stuff is nice too and it's not hurting us in any meaningful way, but really, I'm perfectly OK with us doing a vet a solid because it's a decent thing to do for somebody. *shrug*

The bigger issue is the acquisition and use (or misuse) of some of these contracts. We probably shouldn't have been in this position in the first place.

Gallo is likely at the very end of the time where he might meaningfully have something to offer to a good team, at least in spot minutes.

Nothing wrong with not wanting him to waste that on a 8 win team.

Always weird how many fans are eager to treat these guys like assets first and humans second.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#78 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:34 pm

Utah trade was decent.

Honestly, the value of those trades depends almost entirely on how good Grime and Troy Brown Jr. are for us.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#79 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:35 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Don't know if Fontecchio will be back.

What makes you think that?

He’s a RFA. If we want to keep him, he’ll be here or we’ll be compensated in a S&T.

All that and the reporting has said he's in "our longterm plans." Gotta assume we're keeping him. Why else would we make that trade?
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#80 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:38 pm

kpt wrote:Cade/Sasser
Ivey/Grimes
Ausar/Fontecchio
FA/FRP
Duren/Stewart/

Possibly resign Muscala. And obviously would be great to get a starting FA SF as well

I hope we bring back Muscala. I really like what he brings.

I think our offense is going to struggle for if we insist on having two minus/non shooters in the main lineup. I think Ausar and Duren need to be staggered until one of them develops an outside game.

Return to Detroit Pistons