ImageImageImage

Detroit Pistons F/C Isaiah Stewart punched Phoenix's Drew Eubanks in the back tunnels of Suns arena

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Re: Detroit Pistons F/C Isaiah Stewart punched Phoenix's Drew Eubanks in the back tunnels of Suns arena 

Post#61 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:20 am

bstein14 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Saben Lee was a better player than Hayes in the end

And in the beginning it was clear Lee was better, more athletic, dominated in the G League, etc. but Hayes was picked #7 and gifted a starting job and big minutes. Literally Hayes being gifted a rotation spot and starting minutes even tho he isn't an NBA level player set this rebuild and franchise back big time... awful for team chemistry.... awful for building accountability. Awful for building a winning culture.

Starts up top with Troy Weaver putting so much value on his own draft scouting reports and where players were taken on draft day rather then how they play on the court in the NBA. Look at the types of guys he was always chasing guys like RJ Hampton,DSJ,Wiseman,Josh Jackson,Okafor,Knox, and Bagley. Its like he completely ignored how bad they were on the court and just assumed since they were drafted high they were worth rostering and could make it.

BBjr cant be any good he was a measley 2nd round pick that Weaver didnt have graded high nor did Weaver draft. Give Weaver Josh Jackson he was pick 4 baby. Weaver filled our roster with straight draft bust losers who didnt succeed because their mental just wasnt good enough to make it at the next level. Rather then having quality vets that teach our few talented players how to win Weaver wanted more draft bust centers everytime.

Killian was the epitome of the Troy Weaver era. Maybe their is some truth in "Monty wanting to keep Killian around" but given Weavers draft bust track record you know Troy was open to giving him another chance. Troy should of got rid of Killian years ago it was obv he wasnt it.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,859

Re: Detroit Pistons F/C Isaiah Stewart punched Phoenix's Drew Eubanks in the back tunnels of Suns arena 

Post#62 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:41 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
Saben Lee was a better player than Hayes in the end

And in the beginning it was clear Lee was better, more athletic, dominated in the G League, etc. but Hayes was picked #7 and gifted a starting job and big minutes. Literally Hayes being gifted a rotation spot and starting minutes even tho he isn't an NBA level player set this rebuild and franchise back big time... awful for team chemistry.... awful for building accountability. Awful for building a winning culture.

….but given Weavers draft bust track record…

First round picks:
2023: Thompson, Sassar (trade)
2022: Ivey, Duren (trade)
2021: Cade
2020: Hayes, Bey (trade), Stewart (trade)

Sorry, but Weaver doesn’t have a “draft bust record”. Looks like most were legit picks. Obviously Hayes was not. We haven’t had luck w ping pong balls the last couple of years, but that’s not Weaver’s fault.

The six guys on our roster seem like long term keepers, depending on what their extensions look like. But they are certainly legitimate NBA players.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,374

Post#63 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 pm

Cade and Thompson both still have legit bust potential. Hayes is a definite bust at this point, but you couldn't say that definitively last year.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,041

Post#64 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:02 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Cade and Thompson both still have legit bust potential. Hayes is a definite bust at this point, but you couldn't say that definitively last year.

I dunno. Killian had very glaring and obvious deficiencies that were obvious very early on. I gave up on him during the previous season.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,804

Post#65 » by DBC10 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:09 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Cade and Thompson both still have legit bust potential. Hayes is a definite bust at this point, but you couldn't say that definitively last year.

I dunno. Killian had very glaring and obvious deficiencies that were obvious very early on. I gave up on him during the previous season.

Same, I personally thought the fact that he was drafted during the Covid year and being mediocre in the German incubator league was fairly early red warning signs

Then his first game (or first couple?) where he looked absolutely shook against playing (and getting smoked by) Elfrid Payton laid a pretty lasting impression
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#66 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:12 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Same, I personally thought the fact that he was drafted during the Covid year and being mediocre in the German incubator league was fairly early red warning signs

Then his first game (or first couple?) where he looked absolutely shook against playing (and getting smoked by) Elfrid Payton laid a pretty lasting impression

I was on the verge after his second (sort of first) year.

I gave up on him entirely after he only made 10 FGA in the first 10 games last season.

You don’t KNOW for sure for a while. But when someone is THAT bad you almost do.

Maybe the worst NBA player I’ve ever seen outside of Thon Maker.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#67 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:13 am

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
bstein14 wrote:

First round picks:

Sorry, but Weaver doesn’t have a “draft bust record”. Looks like most were legit picks. Obviously Hayes was not. We haven’t had luck w ping pong balls the last couple of years, but that’s not Weaver’s fault.

The six guys on our roster seem like long term keepers, depending on what their extensions look like. But they are certainly legitimate NBA players.

You just ignored the whole context of my post talking about Weaver filling our roster with known draft busts rather then quality vets to actually develop our talent.

Look at the types of guys he was always chasing guys like RJ Hampton,DSJ,Wiseman,Josh Jackson,Okafor,Knox, and Bagley. Its like he completely ignored how bad they were on the court and just assumed since they were drafted high they were worth rostering and could make it.”

"BBjr cant be any good he was a measley 2nd round pick that Weaver didnt have graded high nor did Weaver draft. Give Weaver Josh Jackson he was pick 4 baby. Weaver filled our roster with straight draft bust losers who didnt succeed because their mental just wasnt good enough to make it at the next level. Rather then having quality vets that teach our few talented players how to win Weaver wanted more draft bust centers everytime."

What I meant was hes obsessed with chasing draft busts after they were known busts in the league by his "draft bust history". Like I mentioned in that post I dont buy the entire keep Kill thing was just on Monty giving Weavers history with draft bust.

That said on your no draft bust point Kill was 100% a bust not that was the point of my post you quoted. Also a GM taking the best choice in that area of the draft is alot better then just not drafting busts. If we took the best choices in 2020 we would have a stacked roster and their would be no fire Troy talk.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,859

Post#68 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:33 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

First round picks:

You just ignored the whole context of my post talking about Weaver filling our roster with known draft busts rather then quality vets to actually develop our talent.

Look at the types of guys he was always chasing guys like RJ Hampton,DSJ,Wiseman,Josh Jackson,Okafor,Knox, and Bagley. Its like he completely ignored how bad they were on the court and just assumed since they were drafted high they were worth rostering and could make it.”

"BBjr cant be any good he was a measley 2nd round pick that Weaver didnt have graded high nor did Weaver draft. Give Weaver Josh Jackson he was pick 4 baby. Weaver filled our roster with straight draft bust losers who didnt succeed because their mental just wasnt good enough to make it at the next level. Rather then having quality vets that teach our few talented players how to win Weaver wanted more draft bust centers everytime."

What I meant was hes obsessed with chasing draft busts after they were known busts in the league by his "draft bust history". Like I mentioned in that post I dont buy the entire keep Kill thing was just on Monty giving Weavers history with draft bust.

That said on your no draft bust point Kill was 100% a bust not that was the point of my post you quoted. Also a GM taking the best choice in that area of the draft is alot better then just not drafting busts. If we took the best choices in 2020 we would have a stacked roster and their would be no fire Troy talk.

If you’re talking about Weaver picking up Wiseman and Bagley then the comment makes more sense. But if you have to go back to 2020 to complain about Weaver’s drafting, then he’s probably doing an okay job.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
First round picks:

If you’re talking about Weaver picking up Wiseman and Bagley then the comment makes more sense. But if you have to go back to 2020 to complain about Weaver’s drafting, then he’s probably doing an okay job.

Well yeah the jury is still out on the other seasons it takes a few seasons to judge a draft class. We know enough about 2020 to put it down as a brick. Were starting to get question marks on 2021 if drafting Cade was the best use of the pick.

Nothing Weaver has done in the draft has been above replacement level GM action. Duren looks good but time will tell if he ends up a better pick then guys who went after him at C such as M.Will and Kessler. Weaver was brought here because he was said to be a draft guru another GM could of done the same or better with the picks and leash given. The "core 4" is a very questionable fit.

We had a historic losing streak year 4 of Weavers rebuild its not something he should be patted on the back for. We will go into next season expected to be a bottom 3 team ITL again.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#70 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Obvious deficiencies like being bad on defense, not getting to the free throw line consistently, turning it over too much, not having a great finishing package around the rim, and being overly reliant on long 2-pointers?

Obvious deficiencies like being one of the worst outside shooting wings in the league?

I'm not giving up on Cade or Ausar yet, but man do they have some obvious deficiencies ....
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,717

Post#71 » by Invictus88 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:24 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Obvious deficiencies like being bad on defense, not getting to the free throw line consistently, turning it over too much, not having a great finishing package around the rim, and being overly reliant on long 2-pointers?

Obvious deficiencies like being one of the worst outside shooting wings in the league?

I'm not giving up on Cade or Ausar yet, but man do they have some obvious deficiencies ....

I want to see what Ausar does with an actual nba offseason. It's obvious to everyone that he needs to live and breathe improving his perimeter shooting. Hopefully he gets the resources and time he needs to make inroads there.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#72 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm

Sure, but he also came up through a system where he shot from a 3 point line and where they were fully dedicated to training him to become an NBA player, so it's not like attempting that development is likely to be new to him, yet the results are putrid. I'm not giving up on him either, but I don't know that we should be especially hopeful he'll have a Kawaii-like turnaround (if he does, he probably becomes our franchise player given what he does on defense).
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,152

Post#73 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:35 pm

Interesting not a peep from the Pistons or the league about this. I am guessing since all-star weekend is going on the league will wait until after to put a potential fine/suspension out there.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#74 » by Invictus88 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:42 pm

bstein14 wrote:Interesting not a peep from the Pistons or the league about this. I am guessing since all-star weekend is going on the league will wait until after to put a potential fine/suspension out there.

Agreed. They want the focus to be solely on the ASG festivities (which I find as interesting as paint drying tbh).
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#75 » by MotownMadness » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:44 pm

bstein14 wrote:Interesting not a peep from the Pistons or the league about this. I am guessing since all-star weekend is going on the league will wait until after to put a potential fine/suspension out there.

Doesn't he have pending assault charges?
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#76 » by Invictus88 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:46 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Sure, but he also came up through a system where he shot from a 3 point line and where they were fully dedicated to training him to become an NBA player, so it's not like attempting that development is likely to be new to him, yet the results are putrid. I'm not giving up on him either, but I don't know that we should be especially hopeful he'll have a Kawaii-like turnaround (if he does, he probably becomes our franchise player given what he does on defense).

If you don't believe that he can actually improve his outside shooting from where he is then we should have never drafted him in the first place.

If you believe otherwise then the offseason provides the biggest chunk of time to dedicate solely to skills improvement.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,265

Post#77 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Sure, but he also came up through a system where he shot from a 3 point line and where they were fully dedicated to training him to become an NBA player, so it's not like attempting that development is likely to be new to him, yet the results are putrid. I'm not giving up on him either, but I don't know that we should be especially hopeful he'll have a Kawaii-like turnaround (if he does, he probably becomes our franchise player given what he does on defense).

I thought that too, but apparently OTE shoots at the shorter FIBA line (between college and NBA/G-league) for some reason, which might explain why Ausar always seems better at shooting when he's accidentally a step inside the line. And partially explains why he's so much worse this year than he was in OTE last year from 3.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#78 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:48 pm

Hmm sounds like there’s been a lot of misinformation then.

Invictus88 wrote:

If you don't believe that he can actually improve his outside shooting from where he is then we should have never drafted him in the first place.

If you believe otherwise then the offseason provides the biggest chunk of time to dedicate solely to skills improvement.

That was, in fact, the main reason I was against drafting him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#79 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:20 am

Stew now has a court date for the 23rd.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#80 » by GreekAlex » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:48 am

Snakebites wrote:Stew now has a court date for the 23rd.

He should take it to trial and make Eubanks testify lol

Return to Detroit Pistons