GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Re: Game 64 - Pistons vs Hornets - 7pm 

Post#61 » by GreekAlex » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:46 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
His best two months of defensive ratings as a Pistons have been in Feb and thus far in March so he has went from really bad and nearly unplayable on defense to simply below average and its showing up in the stats and the eye test. He's no longer been looking like a massive liability out there the past few weeks.

He's obviously also playing for his NBA life and possibly millions of dollars and hoping to land a backup C role somewhere so I don't know how much is him really feeling the pressure to not drop out of the league and how much of this is sustainable and something he can grow and build on and keep getting better.

The scary thing is most of the contracts handed to high lottery picks coming off their rookie deals are based on potential and trajectory.

If Weaver thinks Monty can make him 20% better each of the next few seasons, we could wind up with a bad contract.

Weaver pretty much said he leaned his lesson with Bagley you can't pay young guys based on what you hope they become.

We'll find out in a few months.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#62 » by DetroitSho » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:09 am

tmorgan wrote:Even ignoring his character, are we sure we want Miles Bridges?
That's been my argument this whole time. I don't want the guy for basketball reasons.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#63 » by Neptune » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:55 am

Good win tonight. Ivey gotta find that jumper, not sure why that shot has been awful since the all-start break. Shout out to Wiseman though. Looking like Troy made a decent trade for Bey since he just tore his Acl today
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#64 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:42 am

Wiseman playing well makes me nervous. There's nothing he can realistically do that would make me think he's worth another contract, but I'm not Troy.

If we're honest, this wasn't a particularly well played game overall. Lots of bad shooting all the way around. Glad to get win number 11 (we have to keep pace with the Wizards who have inexplicably won 2 games in a row).
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,295

Post#65 » by GreekAlex » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:56 am

Snakebites wrote:Wiseman playing well makes me nervous. There's nothing he can realistically do that would make me think he's worth another contract, but I'm not Troy.

If we're honest, this wasn't a particularly well played game overall. Lots of bad shooting all the way around. Glad to get win number 11 (we have to keep pace with the Wizards who have inexplicably won 2 games in a row).

I’m in the same boat as you with Wiseman. Seems very likable and I want him to be successful, just not here.

Despite his amazing physical gifts, I’d rather have a fundamentally sound backup.

Vege has the right idea with Hartenstein. I think he’d be a solid backup behind Duren.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#66 » by NYPiston » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:02 am

I know it got largely overlooked but I think having Taj Gibson around could only be a good thing for Duren and Wiseman, Stewart as well for that matter. He's well known as a great teammate/locker room guy, you can see it already with the bench interactions between he and Wiseman.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,274

Post#67 » by NYPiston » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:04 am

GreekAlex wrote:
I’m in the same boat as you with Wiseman. Seems very likable and I want him to be successful, just not here.

Despite his amazing physical gifts, I’d rather have a fundamentally sound backup.

Vege has the right idea with Hartenstein. I think he’d be a solid backup behind Duren.

I'd love to have Hartenstein here but I can't see the Knicks letting him go, he's a prototypical Thibs player.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#68 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:31 am

Snakebites wrote:Wiseman playing well makes me nervous. There's nothing he can realistically do that would make me think he's worth another contract, but I'm not Troy.

Troy is going to lock him within the first min he can to a above market deal.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:37 am

Ivey needs to spend less time praying and in church and more time in the gym shooting the ball.

Hes just really such an awkward fit with Cade. No 3 and no D. He offers nothing when the ball isnt in his hands.

One of the strangest Ivey numbers I've found is the guy has never had a season where he averages a full steal plus since high school. Not saying steals are everything with defense but its for sure some part of it and shows your awareness and defensive IQ. This is a guy whos got a good wingspan and is a top % athlete and even when he returned to college for a 2nd season couldnt get a full steal+.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:38 am

Tecchs looking like our 2nd best player pretty easily. Hes going to be due a good raise this offseason.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,032

Post#71 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:49 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Tecchs looking like our 2nd best player pretty easily. Hes going to be due a good raise this offseason.

I don’t see how we can continue to justify not starting him.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:55 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Tecchs looking like our 2nd best player pretty easily. Hes going to be due a good raise this offseason.

Not starting your clear 2nd best player is absurd. Having him spacing the floor makes Cade better.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 496

Post#73 » by MortSahlfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 am

Ivey is always open for those 3's, just can't make them. He's lucky he wasn't triple-teamed like Cade was.

Anyone else notice for most of the game they kept on advertising the Raptors game for tonight?
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#74 » by DetroitSho » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:30 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Ivey needs to spend less time praying and in church and more time in the gym shooting the ball.

Hes just really such an awkward fit with Cade. No 3 and no D. He offers nothing when the ball isnt in his hands.

One of the strangest Ivey numbers I've found is the guy has never had a season where he averages a full steal plus since high school. Not saying steals are everything with defense but its for sure some part of it and shows your awareness and defensive IQ. This is a guy whos got a good wingspan and is a top % athlete and even when he returned to college for a 2nd season couldnt get a full steal+.
Let me guess, you were one of the ones stroking out with rage the other day for no reason?

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 207

Post#75 » by JNewton » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:50 am

Snakebites wrote:

Monty Williams was starting Killian Hayes and/or Isaiah Livers, who were arguably the two worst players in the league, for a sizable portion of the season. I'm sure he'll find a way.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#76 » by hoophabit » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:59 am

I get the qualified praise for Wiseman, but it seems pretty apparent that he's playing the best basketball we've seen from him so far. He's still a young player and his physical gifts are remarkable. If he continues to set more physical screens, run the floor hard, and rebound with a will he'll be a good acquisition. While it defies recent history, it's not impossible that something might break the Pistons' way, or at least I'd like to hope so.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#77 » by Moses ShamMoses » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:12 pm

I'd like to see Wiseman get more touches to see if he can produce some offense. He's mostly setting screens for guards. I think he can do so much more. I don't think he'll ever be a plus defensive player or rebounder (just doesn't have the instincts), but if he can be a dominant offensive force, you can live with that. He's got the tools, he just needs to know when to use them.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#78 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:16 pm

I dont want to waste any time with Wiseman. Gotta be able to get a vet consistent backup C this summer.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#79 » by Canadafan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:33 pm

NYPiston wrote:I know it got largely overlooked but I think having Taj Gibson around could only be a good thing for Duren and Wiseman, Stewart as well for that matter. He's well known as a great teammate/locker room guy, you can see it already with the bench interactions between he and Wiseman.

Vets are so important.
Thats why I hope we sign a vet bigman(even keep Taj still) and PG to mentor our youngins. They don't have to play much if at all. Just be player-coach types.
Duren Cade Ivey need guys like that in their ear.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#80 » by bstein14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:26 pm

Canadafan wrote:
NYPiston wrote:I know it got largely overlooked but I think having Taj Gibson around could only be a good thing for Duren and Wiseman, Stewart as well for that matter. He's well known as a great teammate/locker room guy, you can see it already with the bench interactions between he and Wiseman.

Vets are so important.
Thats why I hope we sign a vet bigman(even keep Taj still) and PG to mentor our youngins. They don't have to play much if at all. Just be player-coach types.
Duren Cade Ivey need guys like that in their ear.

James Edwards pretty much made some comments that he expects the end of the bench to be filled out with solid vets next year he didn't that we'd have a bunch of young guys in the 12-15 spots like some teams do hoping one develops for them. I think we've clearly seen what a team without enough veteran leadership goes through.

That said, Stew & Cade have now been in the league long enough as well that they should be able to increase what they bring to the table in that area.

Return to Detroit Pistons