ImageImageImage

Webber back in two weeks?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#61 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:46 am

http://www.detnews.com:80/apps/pbcs.dll ... 0442/1127/

Nothing has changed on the Chris Webber front, relative to him returning to the Pistons. "I have had an exchange (verbal) with Chris within the last 24 hours and I've been in constant communication with his agent (Aaron Goodwin)," Pistons president Joe Dumars said. "But the one thing that hasn't changed is that we still have a 15-man roster, and that poses a problem as far as bringing him here."

Dumars said it was not his intention to buy out the contracts of either Flip Murray or Primoz Brezec. So, unless a trade can be made, Webber is going to remain on the outside.

Webber has apparently not responded to overtures made by the Lakers. He has included Orlando as a possible destination, as well.Earlier this season, Webber turned down a deal from a team in Greece that would have paid him between $6 million and $7 million.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#62 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 am

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 10321/1127

Dumars would not go into specifics, but it seems obvious he is keeping his eyes open for more front-court help. Chris Webber, as Dumars has said, remains a possibility, but the roster is at its 15-man capacity.

If Dumars can swing a trade and move either Flip Murray and/or Primoz Brezec, and get back draft picks or players who could be waived, then he would consider reacquiring Webber.

"Like I said, we are deep but I think we can get deeper," Dumars said. Understand, though, that Webber would be coming in as the fourth big man behind Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess and Jason Maxiell. He wouldn't be playing more than 10 minutes a game, in most circumstances. So, if the Pistons are to continue to make progress in the second half, most of the improvements have to come from within.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#63 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/langloi ... 80121.html

So much for Chris Webber going to the Lakers. With Andrew Bynum out eight weeks, it appeared Los Angeles
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#64 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:41 pm

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/20 ... oom_f.html

The latest update on the Chris Webber situation is that there's really no update.

Nothing has changed on the Chris Webber front, relative to him returning to the Pistons.

"I have had an exchange (verbal) with Chris within the last 24 hours and I've been in constant communication with his agent (Aaron Goodwin)," Pistons president Joe Dumars said. "But the one thing that hasn't changed is that we still have a 15-man roster, and that poses a problem as far as bringing him here." Dumars said it was not his intention to buy out the contracts of either Flip Murray or Primoz Brezec. So, unless a trade can be made, Webber is going to remain on the outside.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#65 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:41 pm

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warrior ... ck_check=1

SO, VETERAN Chris Webber, currently a free agent, recently said to a Sacramento television station that he'd be back in the NBA in two weeks. This bit of news begs one question: Who cares?

Based on reports, the Detroit Pistons, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat are all interested in Webber. Webber is hardly good enough to pull Roger Clemens' stunt of coming in during the season to help a good team get over the top. Unless he's been taking some B-12 shots in the rear (wink, wink), Webber is too slow at this stage of his NBA career to be a difference-maker. He'll be 35 on March 1, his knees have been under the knife more than Joan River's brow, and he can't possibly be in game-shape.

Webber -- a career 20 and 10 kind of power forward -- averaged career lows in points (11.2) and rebounds (7.1) per game with Philadelphia and Detroit last season. Those aren't terrible numbers by any means. But they aren't numbers, you wouldn't think, that allow a player to sit home and pick which contender he wants to join midway through the race. He certainly shouldn't be announcing his return like it's an album release.But that's the nature of this part of the NBA season. The trade deadline is nearing, teams are jockeying, and rumors are swirling. Here are other goings-on in the potential player-movement department:

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#66 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:54 pm

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/ ... umors.html

It seems the talk about Chris Webber's imminent return to Detroit just won't die. Well, I had a chance to talk with Joe Dumars a few minutes ago to get the latest on the Chris Webber-to-Detroit situation. "I had dialogue with Chris this afternoon," Dumars said. "And what I expressed to him, is that we do not have a roster spot open. That has not changed. And if we were to have a roster spot open, we'd still have to have a conversation about role, minutes ... and all those things."

Dumars later added, "that situation hasn't changed. It's the same as it was a month ago, two months ago ... it's the same situation." In other words, Dumars has not completely shut the door on bringing Webber back. But a number of dominoes would have to fall before C-Webb returns as a member of the Pistons.

And according to Dumars, the Pistons are not involved in any potential trades, nor are they putting trade offers out there.

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#67 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 pm

If Amir isn't going to play, they should go after a veteran big man. If not CWebb, then maybe Dale Davis or PJ Brown.
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#68 » by srt4b » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:16 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:If Amir isn't going to play, they should go after a veteran big man. If not CWebb, then maybe Dale Davis or PJ Brown.

I agree that we need a vet big but not a washed up rehash. trade trade trade trade trade trade trade trade trade trade trade trade
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#69 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:14 am

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 20342/1127

It appears Chris Webber will be rejoining the Pistons sooner than later. Webber, a free-agent center, is looking to re-start his basketball career after taking the first half of the season off. Apparently, Webber has talked with a few teams, including the Miami Heat. But there's just one place for the former Country Day and Michigan star. It's right here in Detroit, Webber's home. If the Pistons can get a deal done -- and that would take clearing a roster spot -- Webber will be a welcome addition to the team, just as he was around this time a year ago.

Just like last season, the scenario is perfect for Webber and the Pistons. They aren't looking for Webber to be a savior -- which is great because he isn't one any longer. Still, Webber has something to offer, especially off the bench. Webber, who will be 35 in March, is a perfect post player to run your offense through. He's an excellent passer. Normally, when he delivers the ball, Webber provides an easier look at the basket for a teammate.

You can see Webber playing 12-15 minutes a night. Best of all, coach Flip Saunders can see quickly if he's able to help or not. Last season as a starter, Webber was either very good or very bad. If it's one of those bad nights, you go to someone else. If Webber is playing well, then you get all those minutes out of him. Go back to last season. The Pistons had one of their best stretches once Webber became a starter, going 16-4. They also started the playoffs on fire, winning their first seven games and 10 of their first 12. This time around, Webber will come in rested and not be coming off an injury that limited him to just 18 games with the 76ers last season. In 43 games for Detroit, Webber averaged 11.3 points, 6.7 rebounds and three assists. And some nights, there even were flashes of brilliance.

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#70 » by HeroicKennedy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 am

Why trade? More than likely, the only way you land a decent big is to send expirings for a crappy contract. I'd much rather hang onto the expiring contracts (we have, what, 4 or 5?) and then add someone like Webber.

If he's only playing 10-12 minutes a game, and he's with the second unit, he'll be pretty much deadly. A low-post presence who's a great passer surround by young, athletic players? Nightmare for other teams.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#71 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 am

^Lindsey Hunter, Flip Murray, Jarvis Hayes, Walter Hermann, Primoz Brezec are all FAs after this season.
I don't think we'd trade Lindsey out of loyalty (unless, of course, we worked out some sort of buyout. But I think Stern has seen to that not happening anymore?). And Hayes has some sort of restriction, trade-wise, right? I have no idea what it is, but since he's a 1-year contract we treat him differently somehow. Hermann/Brezec can't be traded for a little while longer since we just got them.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#72 » by Phobo_Phile » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:48 pm

^^^You can work a buyout in advance. He just can't come back and play for the original team.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#73 » by Phobo_Phile » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Also, I saw today's Detroit News this morning and right on the front page it says "Webber Close To Signing With Pistons" or something like that. I about flipped until I read the article.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#74 » by Low-Ki » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Webber seems to br trying to pressure his way back on the team by using the media. How many times now have we read "Webber back soon" and "Webber will play in two weeks" and "Webber deciding between three teams" - nobody is interested so he's fabricating stories and interest to keep hs name in the Detroit papers.

I wish Dumars would tell him to piss off and make a concrete statement that Chris Webber will NEVER play for the Pistons again.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:11 pm

Low-Ki wrote:Webber seems to br trying to pressure his way back on the team by using the media. How many times now have we read "Webber back soon" and "Webber will play in two weeks" and "Webber deciding between three teams" - nobody is interested so he's fabricating stories and interest to keep hs name in the Detroit papers.

I wish Dumars would tell him to piss off and make a concrete statement that Chris Webber will NEVER play for the Pistons again.
One lil problem with that...we still need a 4th big man!

If/when we make a move for a backup C you will see Dumars (and the media) put an end to the CWebb discussion. Not before then.

Frankly it would be foolish for Dumars to burn that bridge right now. Webber may not be plan A, or even plan B or C...but it's not a given we'll be able to go out and get the sort of player we all want and if that happens Webber still looks a damn bit better than Brezec.

Joe is doing the smart thing by keeping his options open. Even the less attractive ones. Absolutely nothing is gained from making a concrete statement that Webber will never play for the Pistons again.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#76 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:26 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote:^^^You can work a buyout in advance. He just can't come back and play for the original team.

No. I believe there was some sort of change to the CBA that said players cannot be traded, promptly waived, and then returned to their original teams. I'm pretty sure that was a loophole/cheat/glitch that was closed/prevented/fixed.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,904

Post#77 » by theBigLip » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Hunter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

One lil problem with that...we still need a 4th big man!

If/when we make a move for a backup C you will see Dumars (and the media) put an end to the CWebb discussion. Not before then.

Frankly it would be foolish for Dumars to burn that bridge right now. Webber may not be plan A, or even plan B or C...but it's not a given we'll be able to go out and get the sort of player we all want and if that happens Webber still looks a damn bit better than Brezec.

Joe is doing the smart thing by keeping his options open. Even the less attractive ones. Absolutely nothing is gained from making a concrete statement that Webber will never play for the Pistons again.

:nod:

Totally agree. I know we have some Webber haters (Spartans :-) ) but CWebb is certainly better than Brezec. Not sure what else we can pull off, but I don't want to see Tay playing PF like he did against the Spurs, and we all know how much losing Dice when he was ejected had an effect on the team. Another big man is a good thing, even if that big man is CWebb.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#78 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/20 ... _a_bo.html

You can see Webber playing 12-15 minutes a night. Best of all, coach Flip Saunders can see quickly if he's able to help or not. Last season as a starter, Webber was either very good or very bad. If it's one of those bad nights, you go to someone else. If Webber is playing well, then you get all those minutes out of him.

Go back to last season. The Pistons had one of their best stretches once Webber became a starter, going 16-4. They also started the playoffs on fire, winning their first seven games and 10 of their first 12. This time around, Webber will come in rested and not be coming off an injury that limited him to just 18 games with the 76ers last season.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#79 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:08 pm

One thing i would like to add, Webber's role would be totally different from last year were he was our starting center, he would come off the bench for us.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#80 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:33 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... &cset=true

The Lakers were concerned about Webber's conditioning and with the way he faded in last season's playoffs. Webber has not played since the Detroit Pistons lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference finals. He averaged 9.9 points and 6.3 rebounds in 16 playoff games last season for Detroit.

Return to Detroit Pistons