BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,261

Re: James Edwards III Offseason Trade Idea 

Post#81 » by BDM22 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:49 pm

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Going into the season, relying on low level vets like Morris/Burks/Bojan is one of the reasons why this was a 14 win team. All three of those dudes got way over-rated and over-valued by Pistons fans, mostly because they are actually passable NBA players. They looked better than they are actually are, because there is such a deficiency of talent on the Pistons roster.

You don't even have to take my word on this, just look at what what those 3 guys have done since leaving Detroit....which is nothing.

In fact, all three aren't even in the regular playoff rotation for their teams.

So the Pistons were relying on these guys, yet they aren't even rotation players on good teams.

The Pistons were, quite deservedly, the worst team in the NBA. Injuries are far from a primary reason why they were a godawful team.

The moment the Harris trade happened I thought last year would be a complete disaster. Our GM can’t manage assets - he’s one of the worst in history. Bad drafter, terrible at trades, terrible at collecting assets.

I’m not saying Weaver’s great but BB for Olynyk was a good trade. Getting Duren was a good trade. Getting Fontecchio was a good trade.

Yeah, and I think his drafting, in a bubble, has been solid given what was available when we drafted. Plus I liked that he was the first guy to come in and be like "nah, we're tearing the whole damn thing down" instead of going along with Gores' typical plan of pushing in all of the chips to be the 8th seed team that gets swept in the 1st round and drafts 15th every year.

The issue with Weaver seems to be more that he has absolutely no idea how to construct a team that functions in today's NBA.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#82 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue May 7, 2024 7:53 pm

BDM22 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
The moment the Harris trade happened I thought last year would be a complete disaster. Our GM can’t manage assets - he’s one of the worst in history. Bad drafter, terrible at trades, terrible at collecting assets.

I’m not saying Weaver’s great but BB for Olynyk was a good trade. Getting Duren was a good trade. Getting Fontecchio was a good trade.

Yeah, and I think his drafting, in a bubble, has been solid given what was available when we drafted. Plus I liked that he was the first guy to come in and be like "nah, we're tearing the whole damn thing down" instead of going along with Gores' typical plan of pushing in all of the chips to be the 8th seed team that gets swept in the 1st round and drafts 15th every year.

The issue with Weaver seems to be more that he has absolutely no idea how to construct a team that functions in today's NBA.

Weaver’s 2020 draft was all-time horrible. Hayes over Haliburton, who thought he was coming here. Then Bey, who was turned into Wiseman. Then Stewart, who he extended early to try to save face, and who is a bench player on a playoff team. We’re still paying for it, and will until 2029.
My fish would have drafted Cade in 2021
2022, he drafted two players that both regressed in their second year.
2023, he drafted a player who can’t shoot.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,854

Post#83 » by theBigLip » Tue May 7, 2024 9:44 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Weaver’s 2020 draft was all-time horrible. Hayes over Haliburton, who thought he was coming here. Then Bey, who was turned into Wiseman. Then Stewart, who he extended early to try to save face, and who is a bench player on a playoff team. We’re still paying for it, and will until 2029.

I think you should see what the odds are of drafting starters in the first round. Even lottery picks are not guaranteed to be starters.

Stewart is fine as a FRP. His extension is also fine, proven by other teams interest AFTER his extension.

Duren hasn’t regressed. His post game improved a lot, he’s a solid rebounder and doesn’t foul as much. So he needs to improve on his D. Hope he improves as much on that as he did his offense this year. And he’s all of 20 years old. Give me a break.

In 2023 he picks Ausar and he’s a terrible drafter because of that? WTF? He is elite on D. Of course he needs to shoot better, but his D is off the charts.

Weaver has been more unlucky w ping pong balls than a **** drafter. Hayes picked sucked, but others have been solid.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#84 » by Canadafan » Tue May 7, 2024 10:00 pm

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

I think you should see what the odds are of drafting starters in the first round. Even lottery picks are not guaranteed to be starters.

Stewart is fine as a FRP. His extension is also fine, proven by other teams interest AFTER his extension.

Duren hasn’t regressed. His post game improved a lot, he’s a solid rebounder and doesn’t foul as much. So he needs to improve on his D. Hope he improves as much on that as he did his offense this year. And he’s all of 20 years old. Give me a break.

In 2023 he picks Ausar and he’s a terrible drafter because of that? WTF? He is elite on D. Of course he needs to shoot better, but his D is off the charts.

Weaver has been more unlucky w ping pong balls than a **** drafter. Hayes picked sucked, but others have been solid.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My god. I know peeps are negative here but me and you aren't out here spewing that we're close to a championship. We're optimistic but not delusional.
Most others seem far far far to one side and me and you(and the small minority) are more near the middle.
I keep hearing how horrible Duren is but damn. The kid is 20. He looked pretty great to me. Him and Cade look like a good duo moving forward.
Same goes for Ausar. **** the 3pters. The kid is impressive everywhere else and I'm excited to see what his future holds. Kawhi sucked at shooting early on. Let the kid improve.
Stew gets so much hate but the guy is at the very least a solid bench guy with room to improve.
We got Fontecchio.
We hope for the best with Grimes and Sasser.
Ivey has disappointed I agree with that but maybe some of that is our coach and some is just him figuring it out.
We've sucked for so long, let's just be patient a little longer my friends.
There's zero things any of you can come up with that can turn this thing around realistically to where we are a threat to advance to even the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Stay patient. Keep adding pieces.
We're most definitely at rock bottom right now. We go up from here. Top5 draft pick. 60million in space.
8guys I mentioned. 3more with those additions. And I haven't even mentioned Wiseman! :wink:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#85 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:36 am

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Yeah, drafting well is hard and takes some luck. Same with building a good team. Same with being a good GM.

Playing basketball is hard too, but when players miss way more than they hit we aren’t shy about wanting to get rid of them.

Drafting starters and steals is hard. But if you can’t do the hard thing, what are you giving me as a gm? Anyone on here could make mediocre draft picks for free, so why keep Weaver?

Results matter and Weaver’s have not been good enough.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#86 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Wed May 8, 2024 1:27 am

I do admire some people’s ability to put lipstick on this pig. After four years of Weaver, we have fourteen wins. He has been a complete failure.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,513

Post#87 » by Canadafan » Wed May 8, 2024 1:33 am

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:I do admire some people’s ability to put lipstick on this pig. After four years of Weaver, we have fourteen wins. He has been a complete failure.

Our pig would look so much better if we just didn't hire Monty lmao
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,143

Post#88 » by bstein14 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:59 am

Really it all comes down to three things.

#1 The Hayes pick was so terrible... but also the double down on starting him right away and then continuing to pick up his options so much development time was wasted. He literally was no where close to being as good as fringe NBA vets Rodney McGruder or Cory Joseph. And then to play him major minutes year after year when it was clear he wasn't an NBA level player was just crazy.

#2 Getting unlucky in back-to-back drafts in 2022 and 2023 falling to #5 and having to settle for Ivey perhaps Ausar although the verdict is very much still out on him. If we ended up with a Banchero, Murray, Chet, Wemby, Miller, etc in just one of those drafts the outlook on the entire team would be so much different (assuming that Weaver wouldn't reach for Ivey or Thompson).

#3 The trades for Bagley and Wiseman, two bigs who were redundant and couldn't play together and couldn't also play next to Duren it made so little sense. The 3 year overpay for Bagley and then taking Wiseman instead of the 5 2nds. Wiseman could still end up being an ok backup center in a few years but we already had/have so many young guys on rookie deals the last thing we needed was another project piece. Bring in vets that defend and can shoot its pretty simple. We also could have gotten Gary Payton Jr in that deal.

#2 was really out of his control but I think people here would have a much different view of Weaver right now if Cade was paired with a Chet, Banchero, or Wemby we'd be thinking Weaver is smart and the rebuild is on a great path. But #1 and #3 are likely enough to realize that Weaver is likely not the right man for the job moving forward unless he's really learned from his mistakes.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,373

Post#89 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:32 pm

theBigLip wrote:I’m not saying Weaver’s great but BB for Olynyk was a good trade. Getting Duren was a good trade. Getting Fontecchio was a good trade.

Olynyk played really well in Utah and that kind of offensive spacer and playmaker at the 5 is the type of player who'd make an offense with Ausar work. BB didn't return us a heck of a lot when we moved him to NY and was as bad or worse on defense than Kelly O. I'm not sure that was that good of a trade.

We basically got Duren by giving up Jerami Grant, who represents a player type that we've been wanting alongside Cade. He's probably the best player we've had in lineups with Cade since Cade has been here, but we didn't get to see them together very long. Duren is a physical beast and has good chemistry with Cade. His lack of spacing is a tough fit with Ausar and his lack of defense is a tough fit as a starter on a team that has any serious hopes. He's young. Things could change. But he's yet to flash any real potential as a rim protector, which is concerning. I'm not sure that was that good of a trade.

So far I like Fontecchio.

Return to Detroit Pistons