ImageImageImage

Webber back in two weeks?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

#1stunna
Junior
And1: 1

Post#81 » by #1stunna » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm

I think him & joeD had this planned since preseason. He's coming here after a trade late in the season. Fresh & committed to help us in the playoffs any way possible.

The thing that confuses me though, is the media part of it. If they had webber coming back planned why would there be so many quotes & so on coming from his agent? like hes trying to pressure himself(through the media) to come back to the D. Sports politics bull**** I guess. Or I'm wrong.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#82 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:55 pm

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... logid=1129

Here's the deal on Chris Webber -- and it's the same as I've been reporting all along. I quoted Joe Dumars Saturday, before the Bulls game saying, "I have had an exchange (verbal) with Chris within the last 24 hours and Ive been in constant communication with his agent (Aaron Goodwin). But the one thing that hasnt changed is that we still have a 15-man roster, and that poses a problem as far as bringing him here."

Dumars told Webber again on Monday that he wasn't going to buy out anybody's contract to make room for him. He also told Webber that if he could pull off a trade to clear a spot, he still wouldn't sign him back until he and Webber could sit down and have a face-to-face meeting. Dumars wants Webber to be completely clear about what his role would be. He would not be starting. He would not take Jason Maxiell's role in the rotation. He would be, essentially, the fourth big man. He would be Dale Davis. He will play 10 minutes a night, maybe. Some nights, against teams like Phoenix and Golden State, he would probably not play at all. Dumars wants to be sure Webber understands that and would be willing to accept that.

Now, given all that, does it sound to you like Webber's return is imminent? Not at all. Could it happen? Yes. But does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? It's not like bringing Webber back is going to take the Pistons to another level.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#83 » by nasty daddy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/388465.html

Under that logic, the Heat would no longer be a potential destination for either free agent center Chris Webber or veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire, who reportedly is negotiating a contract buyout with Memphis and could be a free agent. It also seems to remove forward Udonis Haslem from potential trades, unless the Heat could get in return a reasonably priced star who complements Wade and O'Neal.

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#84 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:53 am

I think the Pistons are reluctant to bring Webber in mostly for fear that he will create chemistry problems. Sounds like he was a real prick in Philly and had his conflicts last season at the end. However, if they do bring him back, they could definitely find 20-25 minutes for him shared between the four bigs. Sheed only plays hard in half the games, Dice gets in foul trouble once in a while and probably shouldn't play more than 25 minutes a game anyway, and Maxiell is undersized and limited offensively. He would especially come in handy against big teams like Orlando, Cleveland, and Boston.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#85 » by nasty daddy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:18 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features ... s%2frumors

"I had dialogue with Chris Webber this afternoon," Joe Dumars said. "And what I expressed to him, is that we do not have a roster spot open. That has not changed. And if we were to have a roster spot open, we'd still have to have a conversation about role, minutes ... and all those things."

Dumars later added, "that situation hasn't changed. It's the same as it was a month ago, two months ago ... it's the same situation." In other words, Dumars has not completely shut the door on bringing Webber back. But a number of dominoes would have to fall before C-Webb returns as a member of the Pistons.

With the NBA's Feb. 21 trading deadline a month away, the names of several players and teams will make the rounds at water coolers across the country. All such talk involving the Detroit Pistons -- for now, at least -- is pure speculation. "First of all, there hasn't been a trade presented to me, and I've not presented any trade so there's nothing for me to be intrigued about, one way or another," said Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#86 » by nasty daddy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 am

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 22067/1051

Look, I get it. We all get it. Chris Webber wants to be a Piston. He loves his hometown. He wants to win a championship here. He has wanted to do this since he first learned to dunk at the age of three. That
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#87 » by nasty daddy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:02 am

Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#88 » by Low-Ki » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:07 am

I wonder if Dumars told Saunders to prove Amir can't play before he brings in another big man...
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#89 » by nasty daddy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 pm

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/657920.html

Word on the street says Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson has been seen at Chris Webber's Natomas restaurant, Center Court with C-Webb, twice recently. That only could mean Webber and Nelson are considering the completion of the ultimate full circle and a Webber return to Golden State.

They beefed big-time 14 years ago while both were with the Warriors, but perhaps it is true that time heals all wounds, even gashes.

Stay tuned. With agent Aaron Goodwin representing Gary Payton as well as Webber, could the former Skyline High School (Oakland) guard be far behind? Baron Davis, one of the league's best point guards, needs rest, and Payton surely could fill that backup role.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#90 » by nasty daddy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:43 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... DULGAT.DTL

A report in Thursday's Sacramento Bee stated that Nelson had been seen recently at Webber's restaurant in Sacramento - Center Court with C-Webb - but the source said that the former player and coach have spoken only over the phone.

Their first go-around ended disastrously after Webber's rookie campaign in 1994, with Webber being traded and Nelson being fired the following season.

Webber and Oakland native Gary Payton, another veteran looking to join a team for a playoff push, are both represented by Bay-Area agent Aaron Goodwin.

Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#91 » by Low-Ki » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:11 pm

Yeah, an uptempo, run-and-gun team is a perfect fit for Webber...
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#92 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm

Low-Ki wrote:Yeah, an uptempo, run-and-gun team is a perfect fit for Webber...

That was my thought, isnt GS the worst possible fit for Webber?
jab
Starter
And1: 3
Location: Detroit: Where only the strong survive cause the weak are eaten alive!

Post#93 » by jab » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 am

ajaX82 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That was my thought, isnt GS the worst possible fit for Webber?

Yes, but if the Suns have an injury next week and SOMEONE says that CWebb is about to sign with them I would not be surprised if this thread extended on for 8 or 9 more pages. :wink:
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#94 » by roc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 am

jab wrote:Yes, but if the Suns have an injury next week and SOMEONE says that CWebb is about to sign with them I would not be surprised if this thread extended on for 8 or 9 more pages. :wink:

:rofl:
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#95 » by nasty daddy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:23 am

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 25045/1051

Detroit native and ex-Piston Chris Webber could return to a former team, but it could be his first team in the NBA.

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that Webber and Warriors coach Don Nelson, in his second stint with the team, have patched things up from the two's falling out when Webber was a rookie in the NBA.

The newspaper is reporting that Webber and Nelson have talked by phone about a second tour with Golden State.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#96 » by nasty daddy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:16 pm

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_8085939

The Warriors are "seriously interested" in free agent big man Chris Webber. Team sources confirmed that the Warriors are in discussions with Webber, who played his rookie season with the Warriors during the 1993-94 season. There is some belief the two parties are even close to an agreement.

A different source confirmed that Webber and Warriors coach Don Nelson, who separated on bad terms in 1994, have talked to each other in order to put the past behind them. Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin has said a big man is on his wish list. The Warriors are considering if Webber, formerly a freak of an athlete who thrived inNelson's offense as a rookie, can feel the need. There is concern about Webber's ability to keep up with the Warriors' fast pace. Knee surgeries and 14 seasons in the NBA robbed him of his explosion. Plus, he hasn't played all season, so his conditioning is a question mark. There's also the issue of chemistry, one of the Warriors' strengths. Webber is reputed for his run-ins with coaches and his habit of pouting when things don't go his way.

A different source confirmed that Webber and Warriors coach Don Nelson, who separated on bad terms in 1994, have talked to each other in order to put the past behind them. Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin has said a big man is on his wish list. The Warriors are considering if Webber, formerly a freak of an athlete who thrived inNelson's offense as a rookie, can feel the need. There is concern about Webber's ability to keep up with the Warriors' fast pace. Knee surgeries and 14 seasons in the NBA robbed him of his explosion. Plus, he hasn't played all season, so his conditioning is a question mark. There's also the issue of chemistry, one of the Warriors' strengths. Webber is reputed for his run-ins with coaches and his habit of pouting when things don't go his way.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#97 » by nasty daddy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:19 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=711445

There has been plenty of recent speculation about Harris' job security, with the playoff-starved Bucks sitting 10 games below .500 and the general manager working on the final year of his contract. TNT analyst Doug Collins, whom the Bucks pursued for a front-office and coaching position in 2005, is the main name being circulated as a replacement for Harris.

nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#98 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:55 am

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/kawakami ... -warriors/

What Chris Webber can get from the Lakers: A one-year, pro-rated $1.2M veterans minimum contract;-The chance to pass to Kobe Bryant in the Lakers
nasty daddy
RealGM

Post#99 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:11 am

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ ... ck_check=1

Webber also has drawn interest from the Los Angeles Lakers, Detroit Pistons and Denver Nuggets, according to sources.

Webber has said he wants to play for a contender, which would seem to make the Pistons his front-runners. But the Detroit News reported that Joe Dumars, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, refuses to buy out one of his current players to make room for Webber. That would mean Webber's only chance of playing in Detroit is if Dumars can make a trade.

Like Detroit, the Warriors have a full complement of 15 players. To make room for Webber, they might need to eat a contract. They have only one player on a non-guaranteed contract: rookie guard C.J. Watson, whose second 10-day deal expires Monday. But Watson has been impressive in his three weeks with the team -- "We're feeling good about him," Mullin said Thursday -- so the Warriors might instead waive guard Troy Hudson, who's out for the season after hip surgery.

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,964

Post#100 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

jab wrote:Yes, but if the Suns have an injury next week and SOMEONE says that CWebb is about to sign with them I would not be surprised if this thread extended on for 8 or 9 more pages. :wink:

I'm amazed at how well they're doing with Grant Hill, though, who's sort of the counterexample as a smart, limited-mobility player making it on a fast paced team.

Return to Detroit Pistons