2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#61 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:10 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Anybody can turnover a roster. Anyone can tear one down. Neither of those things are rebuilding. They're just demolitions or swapping out parts. We're four years in for all our efforts we're the worst team in the league.

We have the worst record. That doesn’t mean we have the worst roster. Definitely different things when you factor in youth and contracts.

It means we have the worst roster for *this* season. It just means that roster has *potential* to be worth more in the future. We've been living on potential for a while now, though.

Though I suppose if you boil it down to straight assets we might be better than some (though I'm not sure how many). That only matters if we're willing to move off of any of those assets, though.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,891

Post#62 » by theBigLip » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:17 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Anybody can turnover a roster. Anyone can tear one down. Neither of those things are rebuilding. They're just demolitions or swapping out parts. We're four years in for all our efforts we're the worst team in the league.

We have the worst record. That doesn’t mean we have the worst roster. Definitely different things when you factor in youth and contracts.

It means we have the worst roster for *this* season. It just means that roster has *potential* to be worth more in the future. We've been living on potential for a while now, though.

Though I suppose if you boil it down to straight assets we might be better than some (though I'm not sure how many). That only matters if we're willing to move off of any of those assets, though.

Don’t have to move off the assets, since under 25 players have the ability to get better.

I agree we’ve been living off potential, which is common for rebuilding teams. I don’t mind this approach as long as we don’t extend any non-deserving rookies. Stewart was a fair deal - not great, not horrible. But Wiseman and Hayes? Time to fine some new “potential” players :D
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#63 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:24 pm

They have the ability to get better, yes. Are we effectively positioning them to do so? Can you effectively develop 7 or so young players at the same time?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#64 » by theBigLip » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:35 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:They have the ability to get better, yes. Are we effectively positioning them to do so? Can you effectively develop 7 or so young players at the same time?

We have a big enough coaching staff, that's not a problem. Minutes is a little tougher, but there is also the G-league. We did get the best coach available, and he did a good job coaching up players in Phoenix. So I think we are in a good position to do so. Ivey, Duren, Sassar are very young/inexperienced in the league. I'm willing to be a bit more patient.

Like I said earlier, I'm ok with this approach as long as we are not giving big deals to rookies that didn't earn them, or take on long term money to an older washed up vet. As long as we don't do either of those things, we should eventually see the fruits of this approach.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,091

Post#65 » by joedumars1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:24 pm

6ft 5 pg sign me up. Bye Cade! Idk, but a 6ft 5 pg seems like ahead of the curve type of thing like the sf to pf to center transition to make traditional centers not as needed.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#66 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:15 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:They have the ability to get better, yes. Are we effectively positioning them to do so? Can you effectively develop 7 or so young players at the same time?

We have a big enough coaching staff, that's not a problem. Minutes is a little tougher, but there is also the G-league. We did get the best coach available, and he did a good job coaching up players in Phoenix. So I think we are in a good position to do so. Ivey, Duren, Sassar are very young/inexperienced in the league. I'm willing to be a bit more patient.

Like I said earlier, I'm ok with this approach as long as we are not giving big deals to rookies that didn't earn them, or take on long term money to an older washed up vet. As long as we don't do either of those things, we should eventually see the fruits of this approach.

Maybe we should send the whole team to the G League and let our G League team play for them for a while ... doubt it would impact the w/l column any.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#67 » by theBigLip » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:42 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Maybe we should send the whole team to the G League and let our G League team play for them for a while ... doubt it was impact the w/l column any.

It couldn’t get any worse :lol:
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,337

Post#68 » by vege » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:40 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Maybe we should send the whole team to the G League and let our G League team play for them for a while ... doubt it was impact the w/l column any.

It couldn’t get any worse :lol:

I am not sure if our roster would even win games against GLeague teams
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#69 » by DET_Athletics » Sun Dec 3, 2023 2:52 am

Sarr (Jaren Jackson Jr. / Evan Mobley Type player) is the last piece for this team. We get that, this team is going to take off.

Hayes / Morris / Sasser
Ivey / Thompson
Cade / Bojan
Sarr / Livers
Duren / Stewart / Bagley

This is what we need.

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#70 » by Piston Pete » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:03 pm

Sarr is very intriguing. Very agile 7-footer

Another is Risacher. More of a SF who could possibly play some PF.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#71 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:10 pm

Can Sarr shoot? Having a legit 7-footer that can spread the floor on offense would be amazing for this team. But if he's a non-shooter, that's a tough pairing with Duren.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#72 » by Piston Pete » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:14 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Can Sarr shoot? Having a legit 7-footer that can spread the floor on offense would be amazing for this team. But if he's a non-shooter, that's a tough pairing with Duren.

He has 3-point range
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#73 » by Kalamazoo317 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:20 pm

That's good. We absolutely cannot add another non-shooting athletic freak type to this roster if we want lineups to make any sense.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#74 » by A_dub06 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:48 am

DET_Athletics wrote:Sarr (Jaren Jackson Jr. / Evan Mobley Type player) is the last piece for this team. We get that, this team is going to take off.

Hayes / Morris / Sasser
Ivey / Thompson
Cade / Bojan
Sarr / Livers
Duren / Stewart / Bagley

This is what we need.

I live in Perth, Western Australia where Sarr plays for the Perth Wildcats. He is not a fit with this team. Very mobile big but I think he’s still really raw and I don’t think he will have the shooting we require at the 4. He’s currently shooting 58% on FT’s on just over 2 per game and shooting 31% from 3 on also just over 2 per game and in the NBL where he plays the 3pt line isn’t as far out so now you need him to shoot better from longer.

Hate to say it but this draft doesn’t like like it has any star potential players and while the odds say 1 or 2 may develop into one, the chances of us taking him are unlikely. We’ve been screwed in lottery luck so many years, I really think the flattened odds system needs to go. Teams like ours that need young talent badly are getting hammered and yes poor draft choices also factor in, but I think the lottery reform does more damage than what it does to prevent tanking.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#75 » by theBigLip » Wed Dec 6, 2023 4:12 am

A_dub06 wrote:
DET_Athletics wrote:Sarr (Jaren Jackson Jr. / Evan Mobley Type player) is the last piece for this team. We get that, this team is going to take off.

Hayes / Morris / Sasser
Ivey / Thompson
Cade / Bojan
Sarr / Livers
Duren / Stewart / Bagley

This is what we need.

I live in Perth, Western Australia where Sarr plays for the Perth Wildcats. He is not a fit with this team. Very mobile big but I think he’s still really raw and I don’t think he will have the shooting we require at the 4. He’s currently shooting 58% on FT’s on just over 2 per game and shooting 31% from 3 on also just over 2 per game and in the NBL where he plays the 3pt line isn’t as far out so now you need him to shoot better from longer.

Hate to say it but this draft doesn’t like like it has any star potential players and while the odds say 1 or 2 may develop into one, the chances of us taking him are unlikely. We’ve been screwed in lottery luck so many years, I really think the flattened odds system needs to go. Teams like ours that need young talent badly are getting hammered and yes poor draft choices also factor in, but I think the lottery reform does more damage than what it does to prevent tanking.

Good post, thx for the info on Sarr.

Agree with you that this seems to be a real weak draft class. We really need to do our homework- there will be a few guys that will be stars, even if it takes a few years to get there.

As for the new lottery format? Yes, it has screwed the Pistons a bit. In spite of that, it works. The worst teams not guaranteed anything better than 5? Combine this with the play in, and there is a lot less desire to tank.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#76 » by Kp junior » Wed Dec 6, 2023 12:50 pm

A_dub06 wrote:

Hayes / Morris / Sasser
Ivey / Thompson
Cade / Bojan
Sarr / Livers
Duren / Stewart / Bagley

This is what we need.

No way another Perth Pistons fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#77 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:00 pm

I live in the US but I visited Perth in like '04. Nice place.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by A_dub06 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 5:10 pm

Kp junior wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Hayes / Morris / Sasser
Ivey / Thompson
Cade / Bojan
Sarr / Livers
Duren / Stewart / Bagley

This is what we need.

No way another Perth Pistons fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that makes two of us haha. I’ve lived here my whole life and I’ve only ever met one other pistons fan, there’s not many of us in Australia.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by A_dub06 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 5:13 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I live in the US but I visited Perth in like '04. Nice place.

It’s quite small, but m pretty and clean, and most people are fairly friendly. We’ve had quite a few developments since 04, if you came back I think you’d be quite impressed with the changes that have been made.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#80 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:34 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:I live in the US but I visited Perth in like '04. Nice place.

It’s quite small, but m pretty and clean, and most people are fairly friendly. We’ve had quite a few developments since 04, if you came back I think you’d be quite impressed with the changes that have been made.

I'd love too some day! Long trip, though! :-)

Return to Detroit Pistons