Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,825

Re: Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities 

Post#101 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:30 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:I’d send Miami a second rounder for Duncan Robinson - two years left on his deal - becomes more tradeable as time goes by. I wouldn’t trade Ivey for him though - there should be free agents comparable to DR out there…..

I think Jovic would be a good add as well, so it’s not just Ivey for DR. And SG seems to be an easier position to replace.

But I’m guessing these are the type of trades that will be available to us.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#102 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:02 pm

theBigLip wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:I’d send Miami a second rounder for Duncan Robinson - two years left on his deal - becomes more tradeable as time goes by. I wouldn’t trade Ivey for him though - there should be free agents comparable to DR out there…..

I think Jovic would be a good add as well, so it’s not just Ivey for DR. And SG seems to be an easier position to replace.

I hear you - I just don’t think Miami’s looking to move Jovic. Improving player on a rookie contract - Miami needs him at that price.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,957

Post#103 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:09 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I hear you - I just don’t think Miami’s looking to move Jovic. Improving player on a rookie contract - Miami needs him at that price.

The Heat really know what they are doing when it comes to role players.

If they were willing to throw Jovic into a deal I’d see it as a red flag at this point to be honest.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#104 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm

One thing I know for absolute certain is that many times I've heard "it'll never happen" "Makes no sense" "Don't have the assets" "its not enough"

And then it happens. "OKC has a ton of picks".

Yeah, a ton of mid picks. Pistons land that #1 pick, even in a perceived weak draft, its gonna have a ton of value.

Booker can easily end up in Detroit, its all about the willingness of the owner to makes changes out there, not other teams assets. Its gotta be the #1 pick though.

Anything else and all hope is lost.
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 394

Post#105 » by bjones521 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm

Realistically I can see us with Brandon Ingram or Tyler Hero. Probably have to offer a 1st and Duren or Ivey.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#106 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:02 am

zeebneeb wrote:One thing I know for absolute certain is that many times I've heard "it'll never happen" "Makes no sense" "Don't have the assets" "its not enough"

Yeah, a ton of mid picks. Pistons land that #1 pick, even in a perceived weak draft, its gonna have a ton of value.

Booker can easily end up in Detroit, its all about the willingness of the owner to makes changes out there, not other teams assets. Its gotta be the #1 pick though.

Remember when McCoskey offered his entire roster to the Lakers for Magic Johnson? I would keep Cade, but offer the rest of the roster for Booker.

How about

Duren
Ivey
Thompson
Stewart
Sasser

for Booker?

Pistons have tons of space to add bodies.

Both teams would be awesome to watch next season.

To the trade board!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#107 » by zeebneeb » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:10 am

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:One thing I know for absolute certain is that many times I've heard "it'll never happen" "Makes no sense" "Don't have the assets" "its not enough"

Remember when McCoskey offered his entire roster to the Lakers for Magic Johnson? I would keep Cade, but offer the rest of the roster for Booker.

How about

Duren
Ivey
Thompson
Stewart
Sasser

for Booker?

To the trade board!
I am of the mind that a 14 win team, with a great piece, does what it can to build around that piece, not this "pick anyone who doesn't fit with Cade" absurdity.

I am down to trade the whole team save for Cade, for Booker, and fill it out in free agency.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#108 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:13 am

zeebneeb wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

How about

Duren
Ivey
Thompson
Stewart
Sasser

for Booker?

To the trade board!
I am of the mind that a 14 win team, with a great piece, does what it can to build around that piece, not this "pick anyone who doesn't fit with Cade" absurdity.

I am down to trade the whole team save for Cade, for Booker, and fill it out in free agency.

I threw in the first round pick on the trade board since I can’t watch Weaver pick another player who can’t shoot :lol: :lol:
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#109 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 am

Nassir Little, David Roddy and 22nd Overall for Quentin Grimes and Marcus Sasser?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#110 » by bstein14 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:30 am

Pels swept, Suns swept, Lakers done in 5... I feel like the Lakers are going to try to make a move for a Trae Young, Mitchell, etc ... they may end up having to settle on a move for LaVine but there's likely no chance they come back next year with Reaves as their 3rd best player again.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#111 » by BDM22 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm

bstein14 wrote:Pels swept, Suns swept, Lakers done in 5... I feel like the Lakers are going to try to make a move for a Trae Young, Mitchell, etc ... they may end up having to settle on a move for LaVine but there's likely no chance they come back next year with Reaves as their 3rd best player again.

The side benefit of these desperate teams is maybe one saves us from taking on Lavine ourselves lol
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#112 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:32 pm

BDM22 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Pels swept, Suns swept, Lakers done in 5... I feel like the Lakers are going to try to make a move for a Trae Young, Mitchell, etc ... they may end up having to settle on a move for LaVine but there's likely no chance they come back next year with Reaves as their 3rd best player again.

The side benefit of these desperate teams is maybe one saves us from taking on Lavine ourselves lol

Absolutely!

Lavine, Trae, Beal we need to stay away from period. And any contract over $30M per needs to be examined really closely before we take that risk. Of the few things that are ok for the Pistons is the cap room. Let’s not blow it just because we have it.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#113 » by Pandev » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:37 pm

Here is a trade you need to think long and hard about:

Booker for Cade

Would you do it?

Suns are going to be in luxury tax HELL :evil: and probably need to shed weight, Cade can play point guard and you still have Durant and Beal.

Booker is probably one of the few prime NBA stars willing to come to Detroit.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#114 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm

Pandev wrote:Here is a trade you need to think long and hard about:

Booker for Cade

Would you do it?

Suns are going to be in luxury tax HELL :evil: and probably need to shed weight, Cade can play point guard and you still have Durant and Beal.

Agree on the Suns predicament. They are stuck w Beal - they don’t even have the assets to attach to dump him.

So you either run it back and add a few vet min players, or trade KD and/or Booker. Booker is younger and on a longer contract, so I expect it to be KD.

And if it’s KD, I would expect OKC to beat us in any trade package, although we could certainly use him.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#115 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 12:51 am

Looks like the Bucks are going to flame out in the first round tonight. I wonder if there might be an opportunity to get Bobby Portis. He’s got 2 seasons after this at about $13M per. I think he’d be a perfect fit at PF with his edge and 3p shooting.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,724

Post#116 » by Cowology » Fri May 3, 2024 1:02 am

GreekAlex wrote:Looks like the Bucks are going to flame out in the first round tonight. I wonder if there might be an opportunity to get Bobby Portis. He’s got 2 seasons after this at about $13M per. I think he’d be a perfect fit at PF with his edge and 3p shooting.
Decent chance the Bucks make some moves. Tough break with Giannis being out, but that roster still had some issues. They are too old and too injury prone with Dame, Lopez, Khris, etc. They need an infusion.

I have no clue what we'd have that the Bucks would want for Portis though.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#117 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 1:21 am

Cowology wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:Looks like the Bucks are going to flame out in the first round tonight. I wonder if there might be an opportunity to get Bobby Portis. He’s got 2 seasons after this at about $13M per. I think he’d be a perfect fit at PF with his edge and 3p shooting.
Decent chance the Bucks make some moves. Tough break with Giannis being out, but that roster still had some issues. They are too old and too injury prone with Dame, Lopez, Khris, etc. They need an infusion.

I have no clue what we'd have that the Bucks would want for Portis though.

I totally agree about it being a tough break with the Giannis injury and not knowing what to offer the Bucks in a deal for Portis.

What are the odds Middleton is healthy and preforming at a high level and Giannis is the one that’s not available.

I think that is too risky for the Bucks to simply try to “run it back”. My hope is that when shuffling the deck, they need to move Portis’ salary to a team that may not want him and the Pistons can swoop in and capitalize.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,957

Post#118 » by Snakebites » Fri May 3, 2024 1:41 am

To be honest I don’t see what reason a contender looking to remain a contender would have to make any deal of significance with us.

We have nothing to offer a win now team.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,362

Post#119 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:48 am

Pandev wrote:Here is a trade you need to think long and hard about:

Booker for Cade

Would you do it?

No. I like Booker but he only makes sense here if we can add him to Cade, imo.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#120 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 1:52 am

Snakebites wrote:To be honest I don’t see what reason a contender looking to remain a contender would have to make any deal of significance with us.

We have nothing to offer a win now team.

I think that you’re oversimplifying the transactions that occur in the offseason.

As the luxury tax implications have increased ramifications, teams that want to contend but got bounced in the first round will have serious decisions to consider.

How would you like to be the owner of a team that’s over the second apron and you didn’t even win one playoff game much less a playoff series?

I think in the course of teams reconfiguring their rosters, our massive cap space may finally have value.

I could be wrong but I like our chances this offseason.

Return to Detroit Pistons