Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,971

Re: Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities 

Post#121 » by Snakebites » Fri May 3, 2024 1:55 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:To be honest I don’t see what reason a contender looking to remain a contender would have to make any deal of significance with us.

We have nothing to offer a win now team.

I think that you’re oversimplifying the transactions that occur in the offseason.

As the luxury tax implications have increased ramifications, teams that want to contend but got bounced in the first round will have serious decisions to consider.

How would you like to be the owner of a team that’s over the second apron and you didn’t even win one playoff game much less a playoff series?

I think in the course of teams reconfiguring their rosters, our massive cap space may finally have value.

I could be wrong but I like our chances this offseason.

That’s certainly what our front office hopes.

I’ll believe it when I see it.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#122 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 2:06 am

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:To be honest I don’t see what reason a contender looking to remain a contender would have to make any deal of significance with us.

We have nothing to offer a win now team.

I think that you’re oversimplifying the transactions that occur in the offseason.

As the luxury tax implications have increased ramifications, teams that want to contend but got bounced in the first round will have serious decisions to consider.

How would you like to be the owner of a team that’s over the second apron and you didn’t even win one playoff game much less a playoff series?

I think in the course of teams reconfiguring their rosters, our massive cap space may finally have value.

I could be wrong but I like our chances this offseason.

That’s certainly what our front office hopes.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Fair enough.

To your point, I expected something better than the corpse of Joe Harris last year and at worst, I expected better compensation for bailing out the Nets.

I’m just hopeful because I think there’s a lot of aging, expensive stars that are getting bounced in the first round and it seems like that coupled with the new luxury tax rules could create a perfect storm.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#123 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 3:13 am

With the Heat having Bam & Butler both extension eligible, does it make any sense to target Duncan Robinson? There’s a lot of overlap with him and Fontecchio but in never hurts to have more shooting.

After this season, he’s under contract from $20m per for 2 seasons.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#124 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 3:51 am

I wonder how the 76ers will regroup with Embiid & tons of cap space. Maxey seems untouchable but I’d love to get him.

I’d make him a max offer day one so Philly has to match and eat into their cap space or promise him a full 5 year max.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#125 » by jars » Fri May 3, 2024 5:32 am

GreekAlex wrote:I wonder how the 76ers will regroup with Embiid & tons of cap space. Maxey seems untouchable but I’d love to get him.

I’d make him a max offer day one so Philly has to match and eat into their cap space or promise him a full 5 year max.

Maxey is getting the max 100%. His cap hold is only $13 million so there will be some sort of handshake deal under the table to hold off on signing the contract until they have sorted their other free agents to maximise cap room. They aren't gonna cheap out on him and low ball him to risk the opportunity they have to add a 3rd star.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#126 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 5:46 am

jars wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:I wonder how the 76ers will regroup with Embiid & tons of cap space. Maxey seems untouchable but I’d love to get him.

Maxey is getting the max 100%. His cap hold is only $13 million so there will be some sort of handshake deal under the table to hold off on signing the contract until they have sorted their other free agents to maximise cap room. They aren't gonna cheap out on him and low ball him to risk the opportunity they have to add a 3rd star.

I agree. I’m not even sure why I mentioned it. Kind of just thinking out loud since I’m watching the playoffs and trying to find some relation to the Pistons.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#127 » by thesack12 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:31 am

Maxey could easily be a Piston right now.

But Weaver's "eye for talent" led him to pass on Maxey one, two, three times.

That 2020 draft was such a massive mistake. Had 3 first round picks, only came away 2 nothing burgers and a backup center despite a range of solid players to legit stars being found all over the 1st round after Detroit's 1st pick.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,964

Post#128 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 3, 2024 12:36 pm

thesack12 wrote:Maxey could easily be a Piston right now.

That 2020 draft was such a massive mistake. Had 3 first round picks, only came away 2 nothing burgers and a backup center despite a range of solid players to legit stars being found all over the 1st round after Detroit's 1st pick.

I thought he looked pretty mediocre coming out of that draft.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 232

Post#129 » by Sheeeeed » Fri May 3, 2024 1:20 pm

I see Ingram and Booker names being brought up as possible trades. If you ask me you're just asking for disappointment trading for either one, because the Pistons will probably find them in situations where one of Ingram or Booker and Cade will alternate being out hurt. I'll pass.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,232

Post#130 » by BDM22 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:52 pm

thesack12 wrote:Maxey could easily be a Piston right now.

While I'm not going bag on Weaver for passing over a guy that no one saw becoming what he is today (went from a very poor shooter to elite), we should have probably learned by now that Kentucky guards (Shai, Murray, Maxey, Booker, Fox, Herro, etc) often translate especially well to the NBA.

That's one wildcard aspect of Reed Sheppard that has me thinking twice about passing on him. There's a LONG list of teams that regret passing on Kentucky guards. Probably every team in the league lol.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,830

Post#131 » by theBigLip » Fri May 3, 2024 2:47 pm

As expected, a lot of disappointing teams are out by the first round - Bucks, Lakers, Suns, Heat, Kings, Warriors, Pelicans, Bulls. Most are tight on cap space. Even if we don’t do a direct 1-1 trade with one of these teams, we should be able to pick up some assets helping facilitate trades. Not Joe Harris but legit players only. The playoffs have been great to watch so far, but I’m ready for free agency to start so we can get to work!
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#132 » by Sheeeeed » Fri May 3, 2024 2:59 pm

There's really only few players out of the losing teams that would interest me from trades.

Coby White
Terrence Mann
Bobby Porter
CJ McCollum
Herb Jones
Trey Murphy
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#133 » by theBigLip » Fri May 3, 2024 3:18 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:There's really only few players out of the losing teams that would interest me from trades.

Coby White
Terrence Mann
Bobby Porter
CJ McCollum
Herb Jones
Trey Murphy

I’m sure CJ could be had pretty easily. It gets rid of an older higher paid player from a team that is not known for big spending.
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#134 » by Sheeeeed » Fri May 3, 2024 3:56 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:There's really only few players out of the losing teams that would interest me from trades.

Coby White
Terrence Mann
Bobby Porter
CJ McCollum
Herb Jones
Trey Murphy

I’m sure CJ could be had pretty easily. It gets rid of an older higher paid player from a team that is not known for big spending.

Yup, and I don't buy into this narrative you need to have a core with everyone in the same age range.

If they tried to trade for McCollum I'd like to see him packaged with Herb Jones or Trey Murphy.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#135 » by Snakebites » Fri May 3, 2024 4:15 pm

theBigLip wrote:

Coby White
Terrence Mann
Bobby Porter
CJ McCollum
Herb Jones
Trey Murphy

By that same token I’d say Jones and Murphy are unattainable.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#136 » by theBigLip » Fri May 3, 2024 6:04 pm

Snakebites wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Coby White
Terrence Mann
Bobby Porter
CJ McCollum
Herb Jones
Trey Murphy

Totally agree. Of course, those are two players we could really use.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#137 » by Snakebites » Fri May 3, 2024 6:11 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Totally agree. Of course, those are two players we could really use.

They are both relatively young and are archetypes that any team can use.

Which is why we can’t get them. You get guys like that by drafting them, or by trading with a team on their way down.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,448

Post#138 » by Billl » Fri May 3, 2024 6:39 pm

It's almost comical right now. If you look through the league, almost everyone is looking to add a 3&D type guy somewhere in the 2-4 slots. It's just absolutely vital to the way the game is being played. If you don't have a stable of guys in that 6'5"-6'9" range that shoot and defend, you can't compete with the teams that do. Obviously, you need the stars in place as well, but a guy like Ingram might be more gettable than Herb Jones.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 492

Post#139 » by MortSahlfan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:24 pm

I rather have a guy like Herb Jones than Ingram.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#140 » by theBigLip » Sat May 4, 2024 12:36 am

Billl wrote:It's almost comical right now. If you look through the league, almost everyone is looking to add a 3&D type guy somewhere in the 2-4 slots. It's just absolutely vital to the way the game is being played. If you don't have a stable of guys in that 6'5"-6'9" range that shoot and defend, you can't compete with the teams that do. Obviously, you need the stars in place as well, but a guy like Ingram might be more gettable than Herb Jones.

Absolutely. Same w the Knicks - Hart and Devechenzo, great two way players w reasonable salaries. Our dream.

Return to Detroit Pistons