ImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,963

Re: Free Agency 

Post#181 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 12:45 pm

Canadafan wrote:Just surround our young punks with vetssss. Where's the free agent list? Who's got it? Give me a good guard and 2 forwards and then take a stab in the dark on our draft pick. Nobody we trade for using our pick and ivey or duren is gonna move the needle so much that it's even worth it at this point. Just add to our mish mash of misfits for now.

The young pieces are nice projects but the fits are also a problem. Free Agency and the draft really suck as well and we cant just bring back a bunch of odd pieces in a 14 win team.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 102

Post#182 » by SuperBad » Thu May 2, 2024 12:45 pm

Stewart, Ivey, our first, and cap space for Brandon Ingram, Jordan Hawkins, and there 1st rd pick would work for me
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#183 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 12:48 pm

At least we cant trade next years 1st which is good for us if we fail this off-season
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,497

Post#184 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 12:50 pm

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#185 » by bstein14 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:54 pm

Tyus Jones (4 years $80 million) + Malik Monk (4 years $80 million) + Obi Toppin (around MLE?) + Top 3 pick

Toppin's an elite (top 2% of the league) athlete and he's shot 40+% from deep. He's not a star but he's a guy who can split minutes at PF with either Stew or Ausar.

Duren (33) / Top 3 pick (15) / Wiseman at Min?
Stew (24) / Toppin (24) /
Font (24) / Ausar (24) / 2nd rounder?
Tyus (24) / Monk (24) / Grimes
Cade (33) / Ivey (15) / Sasser

Also possible to add in one more player with the $8 million room exception to give us more depth. Ideally Ivey is a lower MPG backup as he still tries to learn the NBA. Ideally guys like Sasser, Grimes, etc are 3rd stringers(unless they beat out Ivey or Ausar for a rotation spot).

To me this feels like a pretty realistic way to go about using our cap space. Then again, you never know the Wizards might keep Jones at a higher price, Sacramento might keep Monk at a higher price, and the Pacers might pay more money even though Toppin is a backup to Pascal.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#186 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 12:55 pm

Canadafan wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024

Could sign a guy like DeRozan at the very least if we aren't trading the youth.

Not a big fan but it would at least be a number 2 guy for now with Cade.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#187 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Thu May 2, 2024 1:24 pm

bstein14 wrote:Tyus Jones (4 years $80 million) + Malik Monk (4 years $80 million) + Obi Toppin (around MLE?) + Top 3 pick

Toppin's an elite (top 2% of the league) athlete and he's shot 40+% from deep. He's not a star but he's a guy who can split minutes at PF with either Stew or Ausar.

Also possible to add in one more player with the $8 million room exception to give us more depth. Ideally Ivey is a lower MPG backup as he still tries to learn the NBA. Ideally guys like Sasser, Grimes, etc are 3rd stringers(unless they beat out Ivey or Ausar for a rotation spot).

To me this feels like a pretty realistic way to go about using our cap space. Then again, you never know the Wizards might keep Jones at a higher price, Sacramento might keep Monk at a higher price, and the Pacers might pay more money even though Toppin is a backup to Pascal.

You’re gonna shell out $125 million for those three players to play half a game?

Solution: pass on the overpays, and sign the next tier to shorter, more tradeable contracts…….

Also, how about Stewart backs up Duren, so we don’t get behind every first quarter….
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#188 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 2:02 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Just surround our young punks with vetssss. Where's the free agent list? Who's got it? Give me a good guard and 2 forwards and then take a stab in the dark on our draft pick. Nobody we trade for using our pick and ivey or duren is gonna move the needle so much that it's even worth it at this point. Just add to our mish mash of misfits for now.

The young pieces are nice projects but the fits are also a problem. Free Agency and the draft really suck as well and we cant just bring back a bunch of odd pieces in a 14 win team.

Between free agency and trades using our cap to take on a guy like Duncan Robinson or THJr I'm OK going down this lonely road of adding around our young guys lol.
I know we suck epically but I'm of the belief a good amount of that was Montys fault.
Duren Stew Vet min FA
FA Fontecchio Vet min FA
Ausar FA Lotto pick
Cade Ivey FA Grimes Sasser Vet min FA

A good starter at PF
A backup forward
A guard thats good enough to relegate Sasser and Grimes to 3rd string.
3 vet minimums on top of that to mentor these youngins.
Coach Monty becoming an actual coach or hopefully a new coach that plays to teams strengths.
Equals the play in. Ya that's right I said it :lol:
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 2:25 pm

bstein14 wrote:Tyus Jones (4 years $80 million) + Malik Monk (4 years $80 million) + Obi Toppin (around MLE?) + Top 3 pick

Love alot of this.
Give me Obi as our PF
Give me DRobinson or THJr as backup to Ausar
Give me Stew as Durens backup
Give me Monk or Tyus as our main guard signing. Which still maybe allows Ivey to start but Ivey Cade and new guard split all the minutes basically
Still have our draft pick to take hopefully one last swing at a homerun
Add a few vet mentor type guys to fill in the cracks
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#190 » by theBigLip » Thu May 2, 2024 2:49 pm

Canadafan wrote:

Love alot of this.
Give me Obi as our PF
Give me Monk or Tyus as our main guard signing. Which still maybe allows Ivey to start but Ivey Cade and new guard split all the minutes basically

Obi and Monk are solid moves. I’d pass on Jones and instead get another two way wing.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#191 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 3:18 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Love alot of this.
Give me Obi as our PF

Obi and Monk are solid moves. I’d pass on Jones and instead get another two way wing.

Yes. One or the other in regards to Monk or Tyus for sure.
Get DRobinson or THJr as salary dumps to backup Ausar at SF

I'm still 100% down on Ivey+our lotto pick for Markkanen to speed things up as well.
Then we could sign 2 guards like Monk and Tyus or even settle for Hield or KCP to go with Monk or Tyus.

Duren Stew VetFA
Markkanen Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes VetFA
Cade Monk Sasser
Tyus VetFA

Cade is our star but I feel he can be even better next to an actual PG. Tyus doesn't have a big usage rating but with him handling PG duties and Cade not having to do everything would open him up for some easy 3s and much easier ways to attack defenses
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#192 » by theBigLip » Thu May 2, 2024 4:26 pm

Canadafan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
Love alot of this.
Give me Obi as our PF

I'm still 100% down on Ivey+our lotto pick for Markkanen to speed things up as well.
Then we could sign 2 guards like Monk and Tyus or even settle for Hield or KCP to go with Monk or Tyus.

Duren Stew VetFA
Markkanen Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes VetFA
Cade Monk Sasser
Tyus VetFA

Cade is our star but I feel he can be even better next to an actual PG. Tyus doesn't have a big usage rating but with him handling PG duties and Cade not having to do everything would open him up for some easy 3s and much easier ways to attack defenses

Lauri is going to cost a lot more than Ivey + #1 (if we get it). Go post that on the Utah or Trade board and see how that goes :lol: If they would do it that would be great.

As for Jones, I guess I’d rather see the bball in Cades hands, just get him more shooters. I want that taken care of before we bring in a starting PG.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,364

Post#193 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:18 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:A New Orleans beat writer on Ku's podcast the other day suggested Duren + Fournier could net Ingram. I'd do that in a heartbeat and either sign Claxton or Hartenstein or draft Sarr if we were able and be pretty happy with the upgrades.

That sounds highly unbelievable no?

It does, and I wouldn't have mentioned it if a Pistons fan or writer had been the one to say it. It's only because a New Orleans beat reporter mentioned it that I thought there might be something there. Ingram might be enough of a bad fit on the roster, enough of a roadblock to using other players the way they want to, and enough of an expense longterm, that a move like that makes sense for New Orleans.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#194 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 5:22 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

Duren Stew VetFA
Markkanen Fontecchio
Ausar Grimes VetFA
Cade Monk Sasser
Tyus VetFA

Lauri is going to cost a lot more than Ivey + #1 (if we get it). Go post that on the Utah or Trade board and see how that goes :lol: If they would do it that would be great.

As for Jones, I guess I’d rather see the bball in Cades hands, just get him more shooters. I want that taken care of before we bring in a starting PG.

I'm also still down to sign any combo ofToppin Oubre Heild Monk KCP and trade for with cap space THJr DRobinson or whoever else is out there. Make our draft pick. And roll with that for now
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#195 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:14 pm

LaSheed wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Well the other thing is how much is BI going to cost? If he will only accept max or just below his max I think that’s a really bad use of cap, and once he’s signed to that number we will be stuck with it. If you really look at all his stats including advanced, the missed games and also reduced 3pt shooting is really bad despite his aggregates for other counting stats and he’s turning 27 this year making him younger than what most would assume, pretty sure that makes him younger than Mikail Bridges.

I’d probably do Duren and Fournier like they suggested on the podcast for Ingram to just get some talent in and hope he improves his condition to reduce injuries and also make him bomb away from 3. Still prefer Trey Murphy though, would legit offer our 1st and Duren for him or duren & Ivey without the 1st.

Im just getting desperate for another guy to pair Cade with. Ingram seems attainable and I think they make for a pretty good duo.

I'm leaning this way as well. Building around 2 very injury prone players is scary and definitely not the way I'd build a team....but 14 wins will change a man.

Still thinking Bridges is my #1 target and I'll strip this poorly built house down to the studs to get him.

**Assuming they strikeout on Mitchell, other star players etc

Weaver didn’t collect assets whilst we have been trying to rebuilding so should you actually strip down the very small and broken house we have there will be nothing left to add to the core which will most certainly signal to Cade to leave when we still stink.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#196 » by jars » Fri May 3, 2024 1:53 am

tmorgan wrote:
jars wrote:In theory Cade should fit with almost anyone. Thats part of what makes him an attractive prospect.

In saying that a 'good' fit with Cade has to be someone who can shot threes at a good clip to space the floor and able to handle the ball when Cade is out/needs a break. Personally, someone who can be a potential all defense guard is what I would love so that Cade doesn't get worn down by playing defense on other teams best guard.

When I think about it, if we assume growth and guys adding a consistent shot, couldn't this be Ausar or Ivey? Ivey can handle in a pinch, defend well and is a streaky shooter. Ausar is a high level defender already and has the potential to be a ball handler and shooter. Do we just lack faith in our kids developing?

Just a note here… Ivey is a god awful rat-ass defender right now. I mean Trae Young level of awful. Trae has the excuse of being small and light. Ivey just sucks… because he sucks. He should be better. Unlike Trae, he could be better. But right now, he’s a complete sieve other than the occasional nice block.

You're right. He can defend well but doesn't imo. It actually reminds me a bit of Kyrie in that he has all the tools and does all these great things in isolation, but doesn't seem to consistently put things together defensively.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Post#197 » by BDM22 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:43 am

Tobias ends his Philly career with 0 points in 30 minutes in a win-or-go-home playoff game. Now to sign him for 4 years $140M :lol:
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Post#198 » by BDM22 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:47 am

jars wrote:
tmorgan wrote:
jars wrote:In theory Cade should fit with almost anyone. Thats part of what makes him an attractive prospect.

In saying that a 'good' fit with Cade has to be someone who can shot threes at a good clip to space the floor and able to handle the ball when Cade is out/needs a break. Personally, someone who can be a potential all defense guard is what I would love so that Cade doesn't get worn down by playing defense on other teams best guard.

When I think about it, if we assume growth and guys adding a consistent shot, couldn't this be Ausar or Ivey? Ivey can handle in a pinch, defend well and is a streaky shooter. Ausar is a high level defender already and has the potential to be a ball handler and shooter. Do we just lack faith in our kids developing?

Just a note here… Ivey is a god awful rat-ass defender right now. I mean Trae Young level of awful. Trae has the excuse of being small and light. Ivey just sucks… because he sucks. He should be better. Unlike Trae, he could be better. But right now, he’s a complete sieve other than the occasional nice block.

You're right. He can defend well but doesn't imo. It actually reminds me a bit of Kyrie in that he has all the tools and does all these great things in isolation, but doesn't seem to consistently put things together defensively.

People underestimate awareness in all of this. Ivey has the physical tools and the effort (typically) but just seems to not understand where he needs to be and when. Cade has the awareness (typically) and physical tools but none of the effort. Trae is basically the perfect storm of no tools, effort, or awareness lol. Ivey and Cade should be able to improve, theoretically. Awareness should improve over time, and hopefully Cade's total lack of effort is just from being beaten down by all of the losing.

Duren's D is more consequential than both of theirs IMO and his seems to be a combo of poor effort and awareness, which is a steeper hill to climb.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,759

Post#199 » by dVs33 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:51 am

BDM22 wrote:Tobias ends his Philly career with 0 points in 30 minutes in a win-or-go-home playoff game. Now to sign him for 4 years $140M
I don't hate the guy, but I really hope we go for more than just overpaying him.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,406

Post#200 » by Mr Peanut » Fri May 3, 2024 9:16 am

Tanked his value so hard in the playoffs. Before it I would've predicted we offered him 3 years 90-100 million. Now it's probably closer to 2 years 40-50 million.

Return to Detroit Pistons