We should try to sign Kyle Anderson
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Re: NBA Playoffs 

Post#102 » by jars » Tue May 7, 2024 6:57 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:We shouldn't try to sign Kyle Anderson

Fixed :lol:

But in all seriousness, he is too much of a sieve on defense and is mostly effective when initiating offense which is fine as a guy off the bench on a playoff team, less nice as a starter for a bottom of the league team.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#103 » by buzzkilloton » Tue May 7, 2024 8:21 am

SuperBad wrote:I get how bad of pick Hayes turned out to be, but there were a lot of gms that missed Halliburton, and Maxey. Troy had made his choice at the guard he wasn’t going to draft another that year. I think Maxey might just be like Jordan Poole, very talented, but would struggle a lot more in a different situation, and not look so great.

Haliburtons agents were telling some of the teams outside the top 3 pick with packed guard rotations to not even draft him. So some of the GMs that "missed" werent actually missing they were told dont draft me. Its not like every team that passed him is automatically looking for a guard over a big or wing either.

Even Hali thought he was coming to the Pistons on draft day. He tells the story right here and how he was the top player on the ESPN board and thought he was coming here for sure.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1759024087366553722%7Ctwgr%5E1d9bada13061e5b0bc8ddd396be755a859fcf564%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnba%2Fpistons%2Fnews%2Ftyrese-haliburton-recalls-frustration-when-pistons-passed-him

https://www.si.com/nba/pistons/news/tyrese-haliburton-recalls-frustration-when-pistons-passed-him#:~:text=%E2%80%9CEvery%20pick%20that's%20coming%20up,%5D%20and%20Darius%20%5BGarland%5D.

“Every pick that’s coming up, it’s panning to the camera in my room,” Haliburton remembered. “I told the Hawks and Cavs, ‘Please, God, don’t draft me’ because they already had point guards. They had Trae [Young] and Darius [Garland]. I was like, ‘Don’t draft me.’”

Haliburton believed the Pistons would’ve been a great team to start his career with.

“With the Pistons, I knew they needed a point guard,” he explained. “In that moment, I already felt like I was the best point guard in the draft. LaMelo [Ball] was already touted as the number one guy. He got drafted [to Charlotte], and now I’m like, ‘Okay, it’s gotta be me.’”"

I disagree with the Maxey to Poole comp by quite a bit Maxey has not only had best volume number season but he also has been much more efficient from ast-to to just being a far better outside shooter. Maxey is a career 39.6% 3pt while Pooles best season only 36% and hes a career 33.6% 3pt shooter. Being a elite threat from the outside is such a massive difference in being a winning player.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#104 » by BDM22 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:33 am

NYPiston wrote:Is there like any chance in hell that Minny can't afford Naz Reid. Give me Connelly and Reid and I'd consider anything else this offseason to be gravy.

Edit: I see the Reid is signed through next season until his player option kicks in which he'll almost certainly decline so there goes that dream until further notice.

I think they're a lot more likely to move KAT and promote Naz.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 493

Post#105 » by MortSahlfan » Tue May 7, 2024 10:09 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I remember the weeks leading up to the draft, they would constantly show Maxey. And then I was surprised he fell so low after being featured.

Yup he was one of the big fallers of the draft from the top that year because he was a projected lotto guy.

I've seen the argument used "so all those other NBA teams passed Maxey too". Well guess what I want a GM who is good at drafting who is better then the GMs who let him fall. Troy was brought here because of his drafting skill thats what we were sold on.

Ofc no GM is going to hit on every guy. How about one fkn time we have a GM that can hit on a D.Mitch,Booker,Maxey, or Hali when their looking us in face. If we could just hit on a guy like that one time it would make such a massive impact on the franchise.

Right, the Pistons NEVER hit. And when we did with Bruce Brown, we let him go for ... I can't even remember what.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#106 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue May 7, 2024 10:41 am

MortSahlfan wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
MortSahlfan wrote:I remember the weeks leading up to the draft, they would constantly show Maxey. And then I was surprised he fell so low after being featured.

Yup he was one of the big fallers of the draft from the top that year because he was a projected lotto guy.

I've seen the argument used "so all those other NBA teams passed Maxey too". Well guess what I want a GM who is good at drafting who is better then the GMs who let him fall. Troy was brought here because of his drafting skill thats what we were sold on.

Ofc no GM is going to hit on every guy. How about one fkn time we have a GM that can hit on a D.Mitch,Booker,Maxey, or Hali when their looking us in face. If we could just hit on a guy like that one time it would make such a massive impact on the franchise.

Right, the Pistons NEVER hit. And when we did with Bruce Brown, we let him go for ... I can't even remember what.

We hit on Spencer Dinwiddie and Kris Middleton :wink:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,369

Post#107 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:01 pm

jars wrote:

But in all seriousness, he is too much of a sieve on defense and is mostly effective when initiating offense which is fine as a guy off the bench on a playoff team, less nice as a starter for a bottom of the league team.

He looked pretty effective on defense to me last night. Everyone playing major minutes for Minny was defensively *terrorizing* the Nuggets, Anderson included. At least by the eye test.

I didn't say I'd want him to be a starter either. I think he'd be a solid sixth/seventh man for us. And before you ask why he'd come here for a bench role, for the money. He'd do it for the money.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,238

Post#108 » by NYPiston » Tue May 7, 2024 1:38 pm

SuperBad wrote:I get how bad of pick Hayes turned out to be, but there were a lot of gms that missed Halliburton, and Maxey. Troy had made his choice at the guard he wasn’t going to draft another that year. I think Maxey might just be like Jordan Poole, very talented, but would struggle a lot more in a different situation, and not look so great.

Not even remotely close. Maxey is much better than Poole at every aspect of the game.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,726

Post#109 » by Cowology » Tue May 7, 2024 1:57 pm

Jamal Murray looked rattled last night. He was kind of a train wreck all night but I didn't realize he was the guy who threw the heating pack onto the court. Completely unacceptable. Bush league nonsense.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 232

Post#110 » by Sheeeeed » Tue May 7, 2024 2:54 pm

NYPiston wrote:

Not even remotely close. Maxey is much better than Poole at every aspect of the game.

Maxey stepped up even further after the Harden trade. There's also been times that Maxey has had to be looked as the number one option with Embiid out with his injuries. The Poole comparison is a bad one.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,980

Post#111 » by Snakebites » Tue May 7, 2024 4:03 pm

Timberwolves look like the real deal. :o

Crazy to me that Edwards was a number one pick most weren’t very sold on and the Wolves tried to trade down.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 232

Post#112 » by Sheeeeed » Tue May 7, 2024 4:13 pm

Snakebites wrote:Timberwolves look like the real deal. :o

Crazy to me that Edwards was a number one pick most weren’t very sold on and the Wolves tried to trade down.

I remember the knock on him was he didn't appear to love basketball. Crazy now that the Jordan comparisons get thrown out there.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#113 » by Snakebites » Tue May 7, 2024 4:19 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:

I remember the knock on him was he didn't appear to love basketball. Crazy now that the Jordan comparisons get thrown out there.

He was seen as a relatively weak number one pick. People didn’t like that draft. Covid caused some to wait.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,726

Post#114 » by Cowology » Tue May 7, 2024 4:28 pm

Seeing the TWolves defense WITHOUT Gobert was illuminating. Especially under those circumstances.

The entire culture of that team has transformed. It sorta reminded me of how Mike James & Lindsey Hunter would swarm opposing teams and just disrupt whatever they were trying to do. But it was 5 guys. Completely took Denver out of their offense and created a ton of transition opportunities.

And Ant?? Holy hell. Dudes bout to run the league.

I knew they had the #1 defense, but was definitely not giving enough credit to their team defense. Their D is legit. Pair that with a dude who can close and you have a real shot.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#115 » by Snakebites » Tue May 7, 2024 4:35 pm

Cowology wrote:

Seeing the TWolves defense WITHOUT Gobert was illuminating. Especially under those circumstances.

The entire culture of that team has transformed. It sorta reminded me of how Mike James & Lindsey Hunter would swarm opposing teams and just disrupt whatever they were trying to do. But it was 5 guys. Completely took Denver out of their offense and created a ton of transition opportunities.

I knew they had the #1 defense, but was definitely not giving enough credit to their team defense. Their D is legit. Pair that with a dude who can close and you have a real shot.

I missed game 2. Game one made me feel this is the best defense in this era.

I’m not even a Nuggets fan but I was getting second hand frustration watching them try to do their thing.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Post#116 » by theBigLip » Tue May 7, 2024 4:45 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Cowology wrote:

I missed game 2. Game one made me feel this is the best defense in this era.

I’m not even a Nuggets fan but I was getting second hand frustration watching them try to do their thing.

Game 2 wasn’t just a Minnesota win - they took Denver’s soul. It was some of the best team D I’ve seen since peak Ben Wallace Pistons.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Post#117 » by theBigLip » Tue May 7, 2024 4:48 pm

Cowology wrote:Jamal Murray looked rattled last night. He was kind of a train wreck all night but I didn't realize he was the guy who threw the heating pack onto the court. Completely unacceptable. Bush league nonsense.

He certainly “lost it”. And I don’t see how throwing something on the court doesn’t lead to a suspension — someone could have easily got hurt stepping/slipping on it. But since it’s the playoffs, probably just a hefty fine.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,369

Post#118 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:26 am

Yeah game 2 was a murder. That defense is insane. Minny has to be the favorite to win it all. I predict they take Denver in 5, OKC in 6, then Knicks in 4.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,129

Post#119 » by bstein14 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:37 am

Unless some other guys decide to team up (Luka + Jokic or Giannis + AD) I think OKC and Minny have what it takes to run the West for the never several years.

Steph, LeBron, Leonard, and KD are too old to dominate and take over a series.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#120 » by jars » Wed May 8, 2024 1:47 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
jars wrote:

He looked pretty effective on defense to me last night. Everyone playing major minutes for Minny was defensively *terrorizing* the Nuggets, Anderson included. At least by the eye test.

I didn't say I'd want him to be a starter either. I think he'd be a solid sixth/seventh man for us. And before you ask why he'd come here for a bench role, for the money. He'd do it for the money.

I think he's effective on that team because of their schemes. Like Kevin Love at the Cavs, I think he can play good team defense if he has good defenders around him, but most of the time fans on his team are nervous when he is defending the ball. In a vacuum, I like him, but I just don't think he fits our current roster that well, especially because our defense is already an issue.

I'm just curious, how much do you think it would cost to get him in free agency? He is currently a touch over $9million. If we can get him at that price, I don't hate it, but I also think someone will offer him more than that. If he gets $15 million, he would have to be a starter, right?

Return to Detroit Pistons