ImageImageImage

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Yes, he's going to make a major change to the power structure of our organization in the summer of 2024.
73%
No, he's going to let it ride with Weaver/Tellum tandem and just keep "restoring" per usual.
27%

Total votes: 26

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#61 » by BDM22 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:28 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:If you go look back at all the NBA lottery picks, most seem to be busts (which is why I prefer trading them for a proven player)

The draft is still how basically every contender is built outside of destination cities like LA and NY.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,237

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#62 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 7:16 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I guess the rumor is Horst is deeply interested, and his choice of coach is Atkinson.(instead of Rivers)

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/4/29/24144232/joel-embiid-philadelphia-76ers-milwaukee-bucks-nba-rumors

Not that Horst is anything great but if he can bring in Atkinson, that's as big a win as we can reasonably expect but I don't see that happening. I'd be floored if they moved on from Monty, I can see Weaver gone before Monty but there's also the possibility that both get another kick at the can if Gores pushes them on to the new PoBO.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 7:21 pm

flow wrote:I enjoyed Redick's podcast before he joined espn. He's a good conversationalist. That's all. He's not a real candidate. Not for this job.

Finally some sense. It's asinine that he's even being discussed as a candidate. This is a really difficult job for a myriad of reasons, they need somebody experienced to dig them out of this mess. Experience doesn't always equate to better but in this case, it's absolutely necessary.

I do like Redick for what it's worth. He comes across as a very intelligent basketball mind but there's a lot more that goes into running an NBA franchise than just intelligence. I wouldn't mind him as coach though.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 7:27 pm

Snakebites wrote:
I keep having to address this.

Dumars wasn’t just our last good GM. He was also the first in a long chain of bad ones. This decline was initially brought on by his poor decisions.

We didn’t do a good job replacing him but moving on from Joe D was 100 percent necessary.

Dumars is the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain". He was on a Trader Jack trajectory with his flurry of savvy signings and trades and he should always be commended for that but the moment the Pistons won the Championship, it immediately went downhill. The Sheed trade was his last shining moment then it was nearly a decade of mishaps that started this Era of Darkness.

With that said, I can never hate Dumars. He's given so much to this franchise in so many respects but I don't want him near the front office again.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,964

Post#65 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 7:33 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Dumars wasn’t just our last good GM. He was also the first in a long chain of bad ones. This decline was initially brought on by his poor decisions.

We didn’t do a good job replacing him but moving on from Joe D was 100 percent necessary.

Dumars is the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain". He was on a Trader Jack trajectory with his flurry of savvy signings and trades and he should always be commended for that but the moment the Pistons won the Championship, it immediately went downhill. The Sheed trade was his last shining moment then it was nearly a decade of mishaps that started this Era of Darkness.

With that said, I can never hate Dumars. He's given so much to this franchise in so many respects but I don't want him near the front office again.

I don’t hate him either. I wish he’d show up at reunion events and such.

But I also think his tenure needs to be evaluated in full- not just the parts we remember fondly.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 7:42 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don’t hate him either. I wish he’d show up at reunion events and such.

But I also think his tenure needs to be evaluated in full- not just the parts we remember fondly.

Hasn't he? I remember him being at at least one of the Bad Boy reunion events. I don't remember if he was there for the jersey retirements though.

Either way, I generally agree. It's only fair to judge him for his construction of the Going to Work teams but also the destruction of those teams and not leaving enough talent to have a proper succession era.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,708

Post#67 » by Invictus88 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:00 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Dumars is the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain".

This doesn't characterize his situation at all. He wasn't forced to do the awful things he did in the post-championship era in any way, shape or form. He didn't just wear out his welcome. He torpedoed the franchise over the course of several years of bad transactions.

I'm tired of folks trying to explain away the literal awfulness that happened in the back half of his tenure as something that was unavoidable or not his fault.

I loved him as a player. And he made some good deals (and got a bit of luck too) in assembling the 2004 team. But he was just terrible afterwards. And that's completely on him.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,406

Post#68 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 8:34 pm

Just another wrinkle if Horst becomes GM - the Bucks really pursued Monty last year before it became clear he didn't want to coach the following season (obviously mind changed when Gores backed up the brinks truck). That might also improves Monty's chances of staying on for another season here but we'll see.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 8:34 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
NYPiston wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Dumars is the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain".

This doesn't characterize his situation at all. He wasn't forced to do the awful things he did in the post-championship era in any way, shape or form. He didn't just wear out his welcome. He torpedoed the franchise over the course of several years of bad transactions.

I'm tired of folks trying to explain away the literal awfulness that happened in the back half of his tenure as something that was unavoidable or not his fault.

I loved him as a player. And he made some good deals (and got a bit of luck too) in assembling the 2004 team. But he was just terrible afterwards. And that's completely on him.

Who are you addressing this to? Neither of us absolved Dumars of blame or said that he was forced to make bad decisions.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#70 » by Invictus88 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:23 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
NYPiston wrote:

Who are you addressing this to? Neither of us absolved Dumars of blame or said that he was forced to make bad decisions.

You.

You stated he was the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain". That's an either/or proposition. Basically you're saying he was destined to be reviled if he stayed long after the championship run; regardless of what he did. And that's just not true.

He could have taken any number of paths in terms of rebuilding or transactions that were way better than what he ended up doing. And he wouldn't have been worthy of being a 'villain' in the eyes of fans. He's responsible for the bad decisions he did make. End of story.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by NYPiston » Thu May 2, 2024 10:46 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
You.

You stated he was the epitome of "Either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain". That's an either/or proposition. Basically you're saying he was destined to be reviled if he stayed long after the championship run; regardless of what he did. And that's just not true.

He could have taken any number of paths in terms of rebuilding or transactions that were way better than what he ended up doing. And he wouldn't have been worthy of being a 'villain' in the eyes of fans. He's responsible for the bad decisions he did make. End of story.

Well, did you read any of the rest of my post? If you did, you would know that what you said is not what I implied.
The quote was implying that if he had simply retired from his GM position after the Championship he would have been considered a great GM (hero) but since he stuck around for much longer and made a whole crapload of bad moves he sewered his legacy (turned into a villain).
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#72 » by Invictus88 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:26 am

NYPiston wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
You.

Well, did you read any of the rest of my post? If you did, you would know that what you said is not what I implied.
The quote was implying that if he had simply retired from his GM position after the Championship he would have been considered a great GM (hero) but since he stuck around for much longer and made a whole crapload of bad moves he sewered his legacy (turned into a villain).

I mean I wasn't the only one who took it that way. Snakebites did as well?

And that quote doesn't imply what you just stated. It's saying that the person had no choice but decide between two bad outcomes: die/quit what you love or be villified for continuing on. If you believe that about Dumars then you can view him as a victim of circumstance and partially absolve him for how things turned out.

But Dumars choosing to stick around much longer wasn't why he was villified. It's what he chose to do with that time afterward that mattered. And that was up to him.

I'm not posting about this further. Either you will understand or you won't but I've tried to explain too much already.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by NYPiston » Fri May 3, 2024 2:59 am

Invictus88 wrote:
I mean I wasn't the only one who took it that way. Snakebites did as well?

And that quote doesn't imply what you just stated. It's saying that the person had no choice but decide between two bad outcomes: die/quit what you love or be villified for continuing on. If you believe that about Dumars then you can view him as a victim of circumstance and partially absolve him for how things turned out.

But Dumars choosing to stick around much longer wasn't why he was villified. It's what he chose to do with that time afterward that mattered. And that was up to him.

I'm not posting about this further. Either you will understand or you won't but I've tried to explain too much already.

I explained myself several times and you keep twisting my words, not sure what the issue is.

I said a million times that he was villified justifiably so because he made horrible moves for many years and I haven't absolved him of ****, what are you not understanding or are you purposely being obtuse?
The quote was merely a fun callback to the Batman movie and I actually clarified my stance, multiple times, so you can take it as you want or actually read what I posted, it's up to you as I've explained it CLEARLY enough times already that again I am NOT (NOT!!!) absolving him of the mistakes he made.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#75 » by Snakebites » Fri May 3, 2024 4:45 am

Canadafan wrote:https://sny.tv/articles/knicks-notes-julius-randle-pistons-gm-scott-perry

:-?
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#76 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 3, 2024 5:03 am

Snakebites wrote:
Canadafan wrote:https://sny.tv/articles/knicks-notes-julius-randle-pistons-gm-scott-perry

At this point, I’m hoping they dig up Red Auerbach and create an AI version of him lol
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 200

Post#77 » by JNewton » Fri May 3, 2024 11:41 am

Snakebites wrote:

Might as well just keep Weaver. This franchise really is hopeless.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 578

Post#78 » by LaSheed » Fri May 3, 2024 4:34 pm

Still crossing my fingers and hoping Connelly is the guy and he can land us Naz Reid.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#79 » by Kilo » Sat May 4, 2024 3:59 pm

Connolly or bust. Does he leave Wloves given ownership issues there. Does Gores make him a monster offer and keys to the franchise. He will likely have new landing spot agreed to before opting out.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#80 » by Snakebites » Sat May 4, 2024 4:29 pm

Last thing I want is to overpay for an established name ego doesn’t really want to be here.

Already been down that road.

Return to Detroit Pistons