ImageImageImage

Webber back in two weeks?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Webber back in two weeks? 

Post#1 » by the_l_train » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:13 pm

check the wiretap. Who do you think he will sign with? Is there a chance it could be us?

Dumars said that he didnt want 4 veteran big men on this team...now that Nazr is gone, we are down to Sheed and Dice (unless you consider Primoz a vet...). I would not be against having Webber back on this team, as long as his role was reduced to that of perhaps Dale Davis's role last year, or Brezec's role this year. Is Webber going to be happy with that little minutes?

I bought a Detroit Webber t-shirt a few weeks ago, and got it half off cause he wasnt with the team anymore...a comeback would make me feel even better about the purchase...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,119

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm

I still dont really see the point. We might be able to use another big body, but I dont see Webber as fitting what we would need.

Then again, thats pretty much what I said before we brought the guy in last year, so who knows?

Seems like if we were one of the several teams courting him he'd be ours again by now, since he made it clear he preferred to play with us. That he's choosing between 3 teams he's narrowed it down to strongly suggests to me that we arent one of them.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 pm

When does he play? Maxy already has a good set of minutes and i feel Webber would eat some of those. not acceptable
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#4 » by princeofpalace » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

I definately see no problem with Webber on the team if he agrees to be the 4th big off the bench for 15-20 mpg. The reason- Webbers passing abilities will greatly open up the offense for the 2nd unit because thus far into the season the benchs offense is highly stagnant when both Stuckey and Afflalo are in the backcourt without Tayshaun to act as point forward.

Adding Webber into the mix allows Stuckey and Afflalo to play more minutes together and they could be more effective doing so and hopefully the offense will get it together + Chauncey cant complain about lack of touches with Saunders playing Webber with the 2nd unit.

Dice(24)/Max(24)
Sheed(30/Webber(18.)

Yeah- its squeezes Amir out of the rotation even more but its not like he's playing anyway and Id rather see a legit 4 bigman rotation than 3 bigs we have now because its really not working out too well.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:30 pm

Well I think there is a test of wills going on between Saunders and Dumars. Dumars has said he won't tell his coach howo to coach, but has basically admitted in the past that he has made personel moves in order to force the hand (moving Mo Evans to ensure Delfino time). I think Dumars wants Amir played over Brezec and I think Flip is going out of his way to play Brezec and Herrmann over Amir.

All that being said, if I was a betting man, Webber ain't coming here, but rather will end up in Boston.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
<3AmirJohnson<3
Junior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by <3AmirJohnson<3 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:28 pm

People say Webber will take playing time away from Amir, but obviously it won't because he's a garbage player (to Flip).

He'd actually be taking time away from Max and McDyess (and Brezec unless he is the one cut). I wouldn't mind McDyess' minutes going down, and I wouldn't mind not watching Max miss anymore dunks.

Webber had a money hook (till the playoffs when we stopped going to him).

Now if Amir had been playing 10 mpg and doing well, I would not Webber here. But he's not playing at all, and Webber would definitly add further options to this team (his high post passing was when the Pistons were at their best last year)
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#7 » by nasty daddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 pm

I have no problem at all bringing him back, we sure could use the extra rebounder.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#8 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Bring in Webber, so we can make a push for the championship this year.

Webber then retires with a ring and a happy man. We get another championship. Everyone wins, except this board's golden boy.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Webber is useless. All he can do now is pass and he's not given the ball enough to be a facilitator.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#10 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Trade Flip to GS for their trade exception and their 2nd round pick, sign Webber and trade the three 2nd round picks we have for a late first rounder and we make out like bandits.
Scrub Sura
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Scrub Sura » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm

I'd rather have someone that will bang on the boards.

Pass like Pele

----

I'm expecting him to pull a Payton/Malone and sign with Boston. Then everyone can go back and boo his ass like before.

If not them, he goes out west to Dallas
OB- wan
Senior
And1: 3

Post#12 » by OB- wan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Low-Ki wrote:
All that being said, if I was a betting man, Webber ain't coming here, but rather will end up in Boston.

Another reason to think about signing him. If Detroit signs him no one else can.

I think his usefulness is limited but in the right role it would work. If Amir was playing I would be against it but since that is not the case I think Webber could help the team.

The biggest dilemma would be when to play him and how much. If he was only getting 10 minutes a game and got a few DNP's would he go sour or would he wave the towel from the bench and be a good team chemistry guy?

I'd sign him before Boston gets him coz that would potentially hurt the Pistons title hopes.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#13 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 pm

At this point, I think all Webber wants is that ring. I mean, he passed up big money and more playing time in Europe, and continued to hold out hope that Detroit would clear space for him.

The idea of a veteran big to come in for 10-15 minutes a game is very awesome. Especially since it's Chris Webber, who averaged 20-10 two seasons ago.
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

And since we don't attack the rim, CWebb's main weaknesses will not be exploited come the ECF's.
Low-Ki
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Low-Ki » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 pm

Also with Andrew Bynum out eight weeks, maybe LAL becomes a real option for CWebb.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#16 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 am

http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/20 ... _week.html

Chris, Webber, in an interview with ABC 10 in California, says he'll be back in the NBA in two weeks. Webber says he hasn't chosen a team yet, but he's narrowed it down to three. Q: Give me your update... still talking to teams I assume.A: Oh yeah. A lot of people think I'm waiting on a team to call me, but that's not the case. We've been hearing and listening to offers from teams, but this is the first time in fifteen years that I got to spend New Year's and Christmas with my family. I'm the oldest of five and for some reason it was really important for me to be with my family this year. After being in something for so long, and having all the injuries and ups and downs I've head, you have to make sure you make the right decision. But we're listening, and I'll be back in two weeks playing basketball. I've always known I would be back around January or the beginning of February, so for right now I'm continuing to work out with my old trainer and getting prepared to come back and play.

Q: You've said all along that you want to win a championship. Is that the bottom line?A: Yeah, I want to win a championship, but to say that makes you sound like you're entitled to one. I just want to be in a position where I can believe I have a shot to win a championship. So depending on the team and the players, it doesn't have to be the number one team in the league, it can just be a team that I believe in and we have a chance to go really far. That's what I mean when I say I want to win a championship. I definitely want to win one, but since there's no guarantee, I just want to put myself in position where I have a chance, I can have some fun and I'm surrounded by people who believe we can win one as well.

Q: Two weeks roughly?A: Yeah.Q: Do you know now who that team is?A: No. I have three teams in my head, that I don't want to say, but I know I'll be back. According to Matt Dery over at WDFN-AM, sources confirm that Detroit is not one of Webber's three teams. It's not really surprising considering Detroit's roster space limitations after acquiring Brezec and Herrmann, but for those holding out hope that C-Webb would be back with the Pistons this season, the dream may be over.

RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#17 » by RTM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:59 am

Not with us. I see him going to either Boston or LA, as previously mentioned.

We don't need no stinkin' C-Webb.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#18 » by mercury » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:22 am

Low-Ki wrote:Also with Andrew Bynum out eight weeks, maybe LAL becomes a real option for CWebb.

Corrupt minds think alike... I was just gonna post this same scenario.
We know he would only be interested in a playoff team.
The Lakers were one of the teams in the mix earlier... and the timing of Bynums injury to what Cwebb says now makes sense.
He would work well in the triangle.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#19 » by GJense4181 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:48 am

Lakers would play him at...C?
They've got Kwame, Turiaf, a tweaked Chris Mihm, and a severely injured Andrew Bynum as Ce's with Lamar Odom and Vladimir Radmanovic playing PF.

Boston would use him ahead of Scot Pollard, I assume.
Garnett/Davis/Powe
Perkins/Webber/Pollard
They should go after him, I say.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#20 » by triplet1984 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:59 am

Good luck to him. I like CWebb but he is NOT what we need. We need a rebounding shot blocking inside presence who scores off of easy paint baskets rather than jumpers, so his production is not at the mercy of the 55% (roughly the amount of shots you miss if you are a GOOD jump shooter)

Return to Detroit Pistons