ImageImageImage

Would you really want Artest in Detroit?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Would you really want Artest in Detroit? 

Post#1 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 am

Would you really want Artest in Detroit? The Pistons would have to probably give up Amir and either give up Tayshaun or McDysse plus a few expirings (Herrmann, Flip, Brezec) to entice the Kings to part with Artest and take on Kenny Thomas's contract. I would consider losing McDysse to do so as long as Artest doesn't mind logging minutes at PF. That would make quite a starting lineup defensively and offensively. Artest can pass well too.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#2 » by Hunter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:15 am

I wouldn't want Artest in Detroit if all it cost us was Brezec, Hermann & Flip.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:18 am

I dunno Cow (i cant call you Hunter yet, its weird), you are really that anti-Artest? I know he is a cancer and all, and he did kill the Pacers effectively, but he is the missing piece in all reality we need.

He is one of the best defenders and would stop Bron. He can score pretty decently.

Im not saying i would, but i wouldnt immediately write him off. I think with so many vets on the team his character issues wouldnt be so looming.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#4 » by Hunter » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 am

You can't separate the bball player from the lunatic. It's a packaged deal and the dude is a ticking time bomb. He's just as likely to ruin our season as to save it. I'm not that desperate. I'll never be that desperate.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,613

Post#5 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:35 am

When a player gets old enough and realizes his limited chance to win Championships, he starts to conform. Artest has another year on his contract and he would perform better than McDysse and Amir. The cap room after that would be awesome with Sheed and Artest coming off the books. Plus a possible championship.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#6 » by HeroicKennedy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:44 am

For every one good thing Artest does right, he does another 3-4 things wrong. Not to mention the fact that it would be a PR nightmare to see him in a Detroit uniform.

Of all the players involved in the melee, Artest is the only one who has less than zero percent chance of being a Piston.
mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#7 » by mattyj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:01 am

im a huge Artest fan, even after the brawl...I'd love him in detroit...LeBron stopper, thats what we needed last year
Dutch Michigan
Senior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by Dutch Michigan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:15 am

Where does this come from? Or is it just 'pretending'?
Fetchez la vache !
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#9 » by JustinSane » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 am

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd like to get him. He seems less insane lately, and I'm 85% sure we'd win the championship if we got him for expirings + picks and/or Amir and he didn't implode (barring injury to someone important). He's a great player and he wants to win. When he doesn't want to take a month off to pursue his music career this is. Gah! Artest makes my head hurt.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#10 » by mercury » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 am

Dutch Michigan wrote:Where does this come from? Or is it just 'pretending'?

It comes from a quote from Artest saying he wouldn't mind playing for Detroit.
Previous nut jobs in the D...
Rodman, Bad News Barnes & Brian Williams
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Re: Would you really want Artest in Detroit? 

Post#11 » by BDM22 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:26 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:Would you really want Artest in Detroit? The Pistons would have to probably give up Amir and either give up Tayshaun or McDysse plus a few expirings (Herrmann, Flip, Brezec) to entice the Kings to part with Artest and take on Kenny Thomas's contract. I would consider losing McDysse to do so as long as Artest doesn't mind logging minutes at PF. That would make quite a starting lineup defensively and offensively. Artest can pass well too.

I'd take him for the complete change of pace from the rest of our guys. But I don't think it would be as difficult to get him as you're saying. I think the Kings would swap for Tayshaun in a heartbeat. I don't think we'd have to take on Kenny Thomas or give up Amir, etc. Regardless of Ron's talent on the floor, his baggage will ALWAYS hurt his value. The Kings are rebuilding, and Ron is the last player you want when you're rebuilding a franchise. Tayshaun would be a much better fit. He would work here because his talent and tenacity might edge us to a title just before the team implodes.

The Tay for Artest swap I would think hard about. But if we could get him for expirings and maybe Amir or picks, I would probably have to pull the trigger.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#12 » by mercury » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:30 am

Would I want Artest here?
No
Yes
No
Maybe
Yes
No
Maybe... final answer :^)
#1stunna
Junior
And1: 1

Post#13 » by #1stunna » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:50 am

2005 - went 7 games in the finals & should have won. Still LOST

2006 - That year we looked like we couldn't lose until things got tuff. fell apart in the cle series, then exploded against "the chosen team". LOST

2007 - It will never get any easier than that year to win a title. Chi & cle are good teams but nowhere close to real contenders. It should have been a cakewalk to the finals. Well rested & ready to go against sa . LOST

2008 - Will be harder imo to get to finals than the last 3. Still will be hard as hell to beat the west finalist. I would love to see joeD take a gamble to bring us over the hump. Even if he is wrong, I still agree with some kind of a mix up.

Is Ron Artest a gamble? about the biggest gamble there is out there. I'm for it. I believe he would fit the system to win a title for a year. Havent heard no crazy stories with him being in sac. Maybe hes changed a bit.

Its a high-risk, high reward type gamble(chemistry). Can saunders handle sheed & now artest? 1 positive is if he doesnt work out his contract is up.

IF we could keep our starting 5 & having maxiell & artest coming off the bench. Damn, thats some D & hustle there. Any given night our 2 bench players could outplay the starters.

All these expirings & 1st/2nd rd picks we should try something.
Big Steak
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Big Steak » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:22 am

LOL no way...

First, Flip is no Phil Jackson, I have 0 faith in his ability to keep "troubled" players in line.

Second of all, he single-handedly torpedoed a promising Pacers squad his last couple years there and hasn't managed to stay out of trouble during his "fresh start" in Sacramento.

I really don't consider him that much different from a guy like Pacman Jones; a guy who just can never manage to stay out of trouble no matter how many times he's messed up before...

I'm not against breaking up the core but not for this guy.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,667

Post#15 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:28 am

if the price isnt too high i am for it, he brings the big defender we need when tay goes into vag mode
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#16 » by RTM » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 am

No, not really. Our fans would never embrace the guy - it would be an absolute PR Nightmare.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,904

Post#17 » by theBigLip » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 am

#1stunna wrote:2005 - went 7 games in the finals & should have won. Still LOST

2006 - That year we looked like we couldn't lose until things got tuff. fell apart in the cle series, then exploded against "the chosen team". LOST

2007 - It will never get any easier than that year to win a title. Chi & cle are good teams but nowhere close to real contenders. It should have been a cakewalk to the finals. Well rested & ready to go against sa . LOST

2008 - Will be harder imo to get to finals than the last 3. Still will be hard as hell to beat the west finalist. I would love to see joeD take a gamble to bring us over the hump. Even if he is wrong, I still agree with some kind of a mix up.

Is Ron Artest a gamble? about the biggest gamble there is out there. I'm for it. I believe he would fit the system to win a title for a year. Havent heard no crazy stories with him being in sac. Maybe hes changed a bit.

Its a high-risk, high reward type gamble(chemistry). Can saunders handle sheed & now artest? 1 positive is if he doesnt work out his contract is up.

IF we could keep our starting 5 & having maxiell & artest coming off the bench. Damn, thats some D & hustle there. Any given night our 2 bench players could outplay the starters.

All these expirings & 1st/2nd rd picks we should try something.

Great post and my thoughts exactly. We need a little juice and we could get another Championship. If we didn't get one the last couple of years, I'm not too confident that we'll get one this year with the same lineup.

If it only costs us Amir and a few expirings, let's do it and makea serious run!
captainrebel
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#18 » by captainrebel » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:31 am

Hunter wrote:I wouldn't want Artest in Detroit if all it cost us was Brezec, Hermann & Flip.

AM WITH YOU. NOT EVEN FOR A JERSEY!!!
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#19 » by srt4b » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:46 am

I would be open to it if he was told that he gets about 3-5 shots per game and to STFU. Him & Rasheed could be quite fun to watch though.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#20 » by nasty daddy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:32 am

I would be all for it, i have been saying for years that we should get him. Such a great team player, someone who could actually score and defend.I could imagine Maxiell and Artest being the new goon squad.
Difference between Artest and Tay, is Tay doesn't bring his balls every game. His scoring is way down this season, no more excuses for him.

Return to Detroit Pistons