ImageImageImage

2003 NBA Draft...

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Champs04bigshot
Sophomore
And1: 0

2003 NBA Draft... 

Post#1 » by Champs04bigshot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 pm

It has kind of been a little slow on this board and the team is struggling and after reading the article that Dumars is ranked second best GM it got me wondering what our fate(and his as a GM) would have been if we had picked chris bosh, or a wade at number two.

Also a another pick that looking back really could have helped us is when we picked Carlos Delfino at 25, Josh Howard was still on the board and went 29th to the Mavericks.

I know its point less to think but its kinda fun to go back and see the hit and misses of the draft. Could you just imagine if we had Chris Bosh on the front court with Tay and Sheed and having Josh howard as our backup three or starter depending on preference. Just fun and sometimes not so fun to look back at recent draft picks. With being able to go back i believe we would have atleast two or three championships by now if we got that draft right.
ADM
Rookie

Post#2 » by ADM » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 pm

STFA, but the answer to your question is that...

1) Neither Bosh nor Howard would have been as good as they are now because they'd have been stuck behind great starters and wouldn't have developed as well, and...

2) We probably would have won another championship or two anyways because they'd have improved a weak bench, our ultimate downfall in 04-05 and arguably 05-06.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#3 » by GJense4181 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Once we had our fab five established it became nearly impossibly for ANY newcomer to achieve individual success here, with the only exception being Antonio McDyess.
The same thing would have happened to Chris Bosh and Josh Howard.
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore

Post#4 » by Champs04bigshot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm

I disagree you cannot hold great players down. Your telling me Chris Bosh would not have developed learning from Sheed and Ben. I understand they wouldnt be all stars because of limited playing time but eventually like right now Bosh would be our starter.

I can agree to some degree with Josh Howard but remember Josh Howard only got limited minutes his first year and a half in the league and if we had any good coaches they would realize his talent (as did the dallas coaches) when they see it everyday and they would have got their chance and time to shine and help this team with big minutes. Examples look what Maxiell has done on the bench and his progression and he is no where near the player of Bosh or Howard and he was able to develop.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#5 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Basically, if we had taken Bosh as I'd wanted and Josh Howard the frontcourt would have been set for the future.

Yes, there would have been another championship in 05-06. I don't think they would have made a difference the year San Antonio won.

Prince would likely have been traded for that 3rd backcourt scorer instead of extended and Josh Howard would be starting in rotation with Sheed and Bosh. They would have still got rid of Ben. McDyess would definitely still have come and probably signed for less for the ring.

Getting Bosh and Howard would have meant that Detroit could breathe easy for five years rather than waiting a year or two to see what happens with Sheed.

Howard would have developed more quickly than Bosh. Remember LB was coaching them. They would have been buried on the bench but Howard is more defensive-minded so he would have played first.

It would have been great to be a Piston.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Hindsight is 20/20...
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#7 » by roc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Hindsight is 20/20...

So true but...

How many of us wanted either Bosh or Melo (I don't think Wade was even on our radar) over Darko at the time? I know I did and that isn't hindsight.

anyway this has been talked to death so...
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Hunter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:06 pm

Your kinda new so let me lay something out for you... this topic was beaten to death. Then resuscitated, kept on life support and beaten some more. Nobody here has any interest in rehashing it yet again.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Low-Ki » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 pm

We had promised to take Delfino with our second first rounder.

We likely would have never traded for Rasheed if we drafted Bosh over Milicic as Bosh was further developed at that time. If we don't get Rasheed, we don't win a championship that year, though we'd probably have Memo and Bosh here now the whole butterfly effect means our team would likely be totally different. Different draft picks made, different personal decisions with trades and contracts, different coaches hired. And then you look around the league - if we took Bosh, then would Denver have taken Milicic? Toronto still wants a big so stretches on Kaman, Melo goes to Miami over Wade...

Like I said, Butterfly effect.
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:21 pm

2 votes to lock. A 3rd and its done. anyone?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,120

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 pm

Lock. This horse was dead years ago.

Get er done, ajax.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 pm