ImageImageImage

w's fan asking about cwebb

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

enderboy
Analyst
And1: 0

w's fan asking about cwebb 

Post#1 » by enderboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:56 pm

smokescreen or not, there's just too much noise out there about webber to gs. so, as a long-time diehard fan, who's graciously accepted the role of hating anything webber has done since parting gs, i guess i should know if there's any reason to have faith in his game.

you don't have to tell me he's slow or that he can't jump. that's obvious. what i do want to know is:

- can he defensively rebound?
- can he guard the post?

i think he can be effectively used in a limited role/nellie gimmicks IF he can do either of the above decently. IF he can do either of the above with some level of success, he'll address a huge need for us.

thanks.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#2 » by roc » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:00 pm

He couldn't gaurd my 101 year old grandma and she's doing rehab right now for a partial hip replacement.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#3 » by m23uza1hem36 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:44 pm

His Problem would be defending the post, I don't think he's rebounding is bad, I think you just need to look at his speed, your team is a run and gun team and adding C-Webb would be like 4-5, unless they get the half court game going, which wont happen.
Follow @mouzaihem
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Master Shake » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Seriously... of all the places in the league Webber would be effective... Golden State is at the very bottom of that list...

Golden State needs to go after guys like Chris Wilcox, Paul Millsap, and Craig Smith. Young energy big man who can finish in the open court.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
enderboy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by enderboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 pm

what people don't realize is that we actually need defensive rebounding MORE than a guy that wants to trail plays for dunks. if we can clear more defensive boards, it will ignite more fast break opportunities, which is why i find it a bit of a misconception that to be a running team, all 5 guys have to be runners.

i'm not looking at webber to be any kind of savior, but i do think that if he can rebound effectively, he'll be of more help than people realize.

i know he's not the ideal fit. i guess i'm trying to find reasons to get behind this if it happens. i want to believe he can help us.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#6 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:08 pm

I actually think Webb is still capable of finishing well. He can still jump if he can gather himself, his is long and his hands will always be superb. On the other hand, he can't move laterally, so his defense all around is terrible. I recall a game last season in which ANDREW BOGUT tore him up. They had to put in NAZR MOHAMMED to bother him or switch Sheed over there. It's not just Webb's lack of physicality, but also his attitude. I don't think he really even tries on D. He is also terrible on S/R defense.
BiGG RaBB
Rookie
And1: 3

Post#7 » by BiGG RaBB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:24 am

Maybe he can grab a rebound and launch it down court for the break, he's a pretty good passer.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,904

Post#8 » by theBigLip » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:21 am

He's a great passer for a big man and has a good basketball IQ - he just doesn't have the knees to move anymore.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#9 » by Dirtgrain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:03 pm

I think he started out with Detroit playing strong (after looking bad on D in his first game or two). He played well, rebounded, scored (a few post ups, but mostly jump shots), passes, and played decent D. Then it deteriorated. Having taken time off, provided he stayed in shape, he might be a solid contributor for you all through the playoffs. Or, he might look like crap.

He looked the worst on D when he was out on the perimeter against quick players, when he was covering the pick and roll, and when he had to rotate.

It's a gamble, but I don't think it will hurt Golden State.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.

Return to Detroit Pistons