ImageImageImage

Is Rip more clutch than Chauncey?

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Is Rip more clutch than Chauncey? 

Post#1 » by HeroicKennedy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:22 am

I mean, Chauncey is Mr. Big Shot, but it seems like lately Hamilton should be the got-to guy down the stretch.

What do you think?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 am

I would rather have an involved and angry Sheed getting in the post and taking shots down the stretch than either
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#3 » by the_l_train » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 am

i agree. that is a big reason why i think rip is the most important player on this team.
ADM
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#4 » by ADM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:45 am

Meh, Sheed's post game is kinda overrated. Yes, he's better than most down there, but he puts up some weak stuff a lot of times, so it's not like it's a guaranteed bucket with him angry and on the block. He gets sloppy.

I think Rip is more clutch in the last few minutes of a game, but if it's a last-second/buzzer-beater shot, I want it in Chauncey's hands. He's better at creating for himself and getting some space.
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Champs04bigshot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:38 am

ADM wrote:Meh, Sheed's post game is kinda overrated. Yes, he's better than most down there, but he puts up some weak stuff a lot of times, so it's not like it's a guaranteed bucket with him angry and on the block. He gets sloppy.

I think Rip is more clutch in the last few minutes of a game, but if it's a last-second/buzzer-beater shot, I want it in Chauncey's hands. He's better at creating for himself and getting some space.

Thats amazing after watching him for all these years to say that he is overrated on the box. Sheed has a fadeaway that is un blockable and dropset that can get him right to the rim, not to mention soft touch. Did you not see him when he played in portland how he dominated the then champions lakers and all the western conference. What he has done over the years and even right here with the pistons i dont think there is anyone who should ever question his low post abilities when he is angry and wanting to score.

As for whose more clutch i really would like to see it be Sheed but since the chances of him wanting the last shot every game are slim to none i would have to agree with you Rip is great down the stretch but if a play breaks down he cant create for himself. So Billups for the game winner but lately in the last couple playoff series i would want Rip with the ball and shooting more than Billups does in the final couple minutes. Billups in the playoffs has failed to live up to his name like he used to.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:52 am

Chaunceys clutchness has been vastly overstated for quite some time. Rip IS more clutch and pretty much always has been with the exception of one of Billups early season where he number of game winners.

The thing is Chauncey always has the ball in his hands at the end of games and can sorta create for himself. Well, by create I mean jump into a defender and hope for a whistle. :banghead: Rip usually has to have a play run for him, and for some reason we don't go to that enough. But Rip usually plays better in the 4th quarter when we need big baskets down the stretch.

Both guys are pretty clutch from the line and you have to like that neither guy ever shys away from the big shot. You know some players really don't want the ball with the game on the line, but Chauncey always does. And I think Rip does too.
nasty daddy
RealGM
And1: 6

Post#7 » by nasty daddy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:12 am

Chauncey Billups, he isn't called Mr big shot for nothing.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#8 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 am

He's called Mr. Big Shot because he hangs onto the ball and creates for himself in the final minutes. He statistically doesn't score better than Rip in "crunch time" but he takes the shot for the gamewinner or game-tying shot. There's no problem with that. But as for thinking he's the guy to carry a team down the stretch. It isn't actually true. It's just the perception because you had to give somebody an MVP on the Pistons and he did well against Gary Payton. Even though Rip was killing everybody all season. But Billups hung onto the ball in the fourth and had success.

Rip is the most important scorer for the Pistons. If he has his game you don't need Chauncey to finish it.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,220

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:26 am

Whoever hits the shot is clutch, whoever misses is a choker. I think playing in the clutch is generally overrated. When you look at players' "clutch" statistics, it's such a small sample size. Nearly all players would have similar clutch numbers to their actual numbers if the minutes were comparable.

I'm not saying clutch play doesn't exist. Obviously, Robert Horry has a knack for coolness under pressure. But most players are just themselves whether in the clutch or in the 1st quarter. If a rookie comes in and misses 8 straight shots, we say he's having a cold streak that he'll snap out of. If he misses 8 straight game-tiers/game-winners throughout the course of a season, he's branded as a choker.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#10 » by BDM22 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:33 am

Rip is probably better at the shot, but he can't create one for himself like Chauncey can. When you're down to a final shot, it's much easier for defenses to help on Rip coming off those screens (they know he's going to shoot it), and it relies a bit too much on timing and a good pass. Chauncey can go 1-on-1, get separation, and take the shot at just the right time without worrying about getting a pass picked off, etc.

This is why Rip is the "crunch time" guy, and Chauncey is the "Big Shot" guy.
Hunter
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#11 » by Hunter » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:09 am

BDM22 wrote:Rip is probably better at the shot, but he can't create one for himself like Chauncey can. When you're down to a final shot, it's much easier for defenses to help on Rip coming off those screens (they know he's going to shoot it), and it relies a bit too much on timing and a good pass. Chauncey can go 1-on-1, get separation, and take the shot at just the right time without worrying about getting a pass picked off, etc.

This is why Rip is the "crunch time" guy, and Chauncey is the "Big Shot" guy.
Nice post.
ADM
Rookie

Post#12 » by ADM » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Champs04bigshot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats amazing after watching him for all these years to say that he is overrated on the box. Sheed has a fadeaway that is un blockable and dropset that can get him right to the rim, not to mention soft touch. Did you not see him when he played in portland how he dominated the then champions lakers and all the western conference. What he has done over the years and even right here with the pistons i dont think there is anyone who should ever question his low post abilities when he is angry and wanting to score.

I don't mean this to be a thread-jack, but I really do think that Sheed's kinda overrated on the block. Like I said, he's better than most, but that fadeaway of his doesn't go down nearly as often as it used to, and his "dropset" (also known as a drop step) only seems to work against guys who are 6'7".

The bottom line with Rasheed on the block is that he has tons of skill but doesn't bring the pain the way guys like Maxiell do. He is weak around the basket far too often and misses a lot of close shots because of it.

He's still better down there than 90% of all NBA players, but people act like he's as good as Tim Duncan when he gets on the block and he's just not.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,669

Post#13 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:35 pm

At one point Rasheed Wallace had the best post game in the league while with Portland. Now, the difference is he is playing centre. The dropstep is less effective against centres because he is not as strong. But that fadeaway is unblockable and he can pull you out just far enough that it leaves cutting space for his teammates.

And Sheed's game bothers Duncan more than Garnett's does on both sides of the ball.
Champs04bigshot
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Champs04bigshot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:44 pm

ADM wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
I don't mean this to be a thread-jack, but I really do think that Sheed's kinda overrated on the block. Like I said, he's better than most, but that fadeaway of his doesn't go down nearly as often as it used to, and his "dropset" (also known as a drop step) only seems to work against guys who are 6'7".

The bottom line with Rasheed on the block is that he has tons of skill but doesn't bring the pain the way guys like Maxiell do. He is weak around the basket far too often and misses a lot of close shots because of it.

He's still better down there than 90% of all NBA players, but people act like he's as good as Tim Duncan when he gets on the block and he's just not.

Well considering Tim Duncan is the best PF of all time IMO i dont see how that makes Sheed less efective on the block. Sheed can get a bucket down low whenever he wants i think most people forget that because he doesnt go there as much but dont get it twisted and mistake reluctant for cant.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#15 » by Dirtgrain » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:59 pm

I won't vote, but I want to note that while Rip is damn good at hitting clutch shots, he is also damn good at passing the ball to players from the other team at inopportune times.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
#1stunna
Junior
And1: 1

Post#16 » by #1stunna » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 pm

With a play set for rip, hes almost as clutch as it gets.

billups tends to just waste the clock & launch a long 3 or draw contact while not even worry about it going in(which I can't stand from all players)

With less than 5sec rip, with more than 5 I guess let billups do his thing.

Sheed was a monster in the paint when he was younger & motivated

Return to Detroit Pistons